High Sets/Low Reps? Pyramid? ...?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Answers

High Sets/Low Reps? Pyramid? ...?

Hello all,

I am trying to put on good healthy muscle mass. I am not bothered if I gain some fat, for I know how to burn it off come spring.

However, my question is, If I am trying to reach this goal of healthy mass gain should I do high sets/low reps, pyramid, or what?!?!

Everywhere I read there is something different. For example,

*I've heard 8-12 reps is the best for your body to grow

*I've heard High sets/Low reps is the best

*I've heard 4 sets of 3 exercises doing 10reps, 8reps, 6reps, 6reps

I'm already well aware that calorie intake is a big factor, but as far as the weight lifting goes someone PLEASE help me out

Thanks!!!!

2. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

There's no magic number, have to experiment and change things up.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin1
    Hello all,

I am trying to put on good healthy muscle mass. I am not bothered if I gain some fat, for I know how to burn it off come spring.

However, my question is, If I am trying to reach this goal of healthy mass gain should I do high sets/low reps, pyramid, or what?!?!

Everywhere I read there is something different. For example,

*I've heard 8-12 reps is the best for your body to grow

*I've heard High sets/Low reps is the best

*I've heard 4 sets of 3 exercises doing 10reps, 8reps, 6reps, 6reps

I'm already well aware that calorie intake is a big factor, but as far as the weight lifting goes someone PLEASE help me out

Thanks!!!!
    Like Aaron said experiment with it, both higher rep and lower rep protocols have mass building adaptation associated with them. I have found for me a mix of the two with emphasis on a rep range of 3-6 but with some exercises done 12-20 has worked best. It should be noted though that 95% of my working sets are done to failure.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Answers

To be honest, both rep ranges work best. You have two types of muscle fibers: fast twitch and slow twitch that are hit by different rep ranges. For me I like to keep it around 8-12 and have a 5 minute burn set of doing 15+ reps a set for 5 mins as many as possible and its been keeping.me.sore. but you have to expirment
    I know that I worked out in the 3-5 rep range and noticed no change and.then switched to the higherish ranges of 9+ and.noticed I started gaining.mass. every body is different
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Use all rep ranges - I reverse pyramid 3-5, 6-8, 10, 12 lowering the weight 10-15% each set. Works really well for me.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Answers

I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to just have to experiment myself.

I've been doing pyramids lately and my strength is rising but my mass really isn't....
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

i use low rep compound sets and constant tension reps for finishers. depending on what muscle i use determines the rep range. rear delts and calves for me are high rep sets, 12-15
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Answers

I've read a ton of different stuff to man it's makes Me very indecisive but I read something that stuck with Me it said something like your fast twitch muscles are the ones that grow the most and are the muscles that work in the low heavy Rep ranges so I emphasize on my six Rep Max and just keep adding weight to the bar but every four or six weeks I'll do higher Rep stuff for a full week to really get the burn and allow my connective tissue some time to catch up to my strength gains
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

i always do 8 sets of 8
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

i do reps of 12-15 for biceps, delts, and calves and do 6 sets, then for all the other muscle groups i do 8 sets of 8.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jwal View Post
    I've read a ton of different stuff to man it's makes Me very indecisive but I read something that stuck with Me it said something like your fast twitch muscles are the ones that grow the most and are the muscles that work in the low heavy Rep ranges so I emphasize on my six Rep Max and just keep adding weight to the bar but every four or six weeks I'll do higher Rep stuff for a full week to really get the burn and allow my connective tissue some time to catch up to my strength gains

That makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna start that monday. I appreciate it man!!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Answers

No problem man good luck you should check out wannabebig they have a TON of great reading and a bad ass program to follow
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Low reps or High reps for bicep peak?
    By W13NY in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
  2. High or Low reps for lean mass?
    By nightside1234 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 05:03 AM
  3. Making the change from high to low volume training
    By iron addict in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 10:05 PM
  4. high protein, low carb snacks