Need advice on eating b4 bed!! PLZ

Benjamin1

Awards
Hello all,

I am having a hard time reaching my total macros. When I get out of work (10-1030pm) i still need about 50g-P 75g-C and 25g-F to reach my daily macros.
Not knowing if this is the right way to do it or not, I haven't been consuming the last 50/75/25 before bed b/c i am worried it will turn to straight fat and take away all my definition. Although i will eat a can of tuna.....

If i eat a clean meal consisting of the 50p/75c/25f (eggs/chicken, oats, natty pb, etc) i need to get to my daily macros at 11pm and goto bed at 12:30, will it be beneficial to my body or will my body turn the energy (carbs) into fat??

any help, or personal suggestions would be great!!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Why would it turn straight to fat?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
and nice name

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
If you have to eat at night, make sure that it contains a good amount of protein and a bit of carbs and fats.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If you need it to meet macros then it wont turn to fat. You know, your body is still working even when your asleep :D

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
i dont eat many carbs before bed.... it depends on what type of carbs your eating, if your having white rice or white bread its going to cause an insulin spike which may be stored as fat, if you want carbs before bed make sure they are low glycemic..fats... just have a teaspoon of peanut butter or some almonds, and for protein have a casein shake.... what i do before bed is 9 egg white then an hour later(legit right before bed) a casein shake maybe a tsp of peanut butter

Benjamin1

Awards
If you need it to meet macros then it wont turn to fat. You know, your body is still working even when your asleep :D
This makes sense. But i feel like it can't be that simple. If it is (that simple of an idea) there wouldn't be so many people being so cautious about loading up on carbs/fats before bed just to meet your macros. Does that make any sense?

Benjamin1

Awards
Why would it turn straight to fat?
well carbs goes thru your liver then it turns those carbs/energy into glucose which would rest as fat in your body when not used, correct?

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
your body doesnt turn off like an appliance when you sleep, heck rem sleep is almost as active as being awake, your still converting diatomic oxygen into n-CO2, your circulatory systen including your heart is still going, your hydrophobic cell walls are regulating your salt level..

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
well carbs goes thru your liver then it turns those carbs/energy into glucose which would rest as fat in your body when not used, correct?
glucose as a sugar has to be converted into fat which takes energy and the cycle that makes C6H12O6 also requires energy in the from of ATP and the Cycle that folllows the glocuse cycle requires energy

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Your bodys have a (if what limited) capacity to store glucose in the form of muscle, liver or blood glycogen; so if these are depleted by 100gs (as an example) then you eat 100gs of CHO, it will most likely store in glycogen as it is much more effecient for the body to store it as glycogen and not as fat.

The body doesnt try make you fat at every turn, when you overload glycogen stores then maybe the spillover will be converted to fat, so long as the body doesnt need that extra to fulfill energy requirements

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i dont eat many carbs before bed.... it depends on what type of carbs your eating, if your having white rice or white bread its going to cause an insulin spike which may be stored as fat, if you want carbs before bed make sure they are low glycemic..fats... just have a teaspoon of peanut butter or some almonds, and for protein have a casein shake.... what i do before bed is 9 egg white then an hour later(legit right before bed) a casein shake maybe a tsp of peanut butter
I do the complete opposite of this. Lots of white rice, turnovers, cake, pudding, pizza, and whatever else you can think of. Then I wake up looking lean.

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
I do the complete opposite of this. Lots of white rice, turnovers, cake, pudding, pizza, and whatever else you can think of. Then I wake up looking lean.
well then i wish i had those genetics.... if i eat pudding and pizza for 3-4 nights in a row i can see it in my chest and stomach area... that is when im not on cycle, if im on cycle i can slack and eat some good tasting food before bed, i just look "fuller" the next morning..... i know some kids in the gym that eat whatever they want and are ripped beyond belief each persons different.... i must say tomahawk im jelly that you get to eat pudding pie before bed..with that delicious graham cracker crust..smothered in reddi whip...arggg egg whites dont compare!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well then i wish i had those genetics.... if i eat pudding and pizza for 3-4 nights in a row i can see it in my chest and stomach area... that is when im not on cycle, if im on cycle i can slack and eat some good tasting food before bed, i just look "fuller" the next morning..... i know some kids in the gym that eat whatever they want and are ripped beyond belief each persons different.... i must say tomahawk im jelly that you get to eat pudding pie before bed..with that delicious graham cracker crust..smothered in reddi whip...arggg egg whites dont compare!
Honestly I don't have great genetics, but the diet I am doing is that awesome. Plus I am doing this while natty. Recomping like a mad man.

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
Honestly I don't have great genetics, but the diet I am doing is that awesome. Plus I am doing this while natty. Recomping like a mad man.

if you could give me a example of diet that would be great man, im lookin to recomp...what bf % are you if you dont mind.. your leaving me very curious about this diet your on broski... i have high prolactin lvls due to a prolactinoma (micro) so that could be why i hold fat faster im not sure im prescribed cabergoline i didnt start it yet im going to start it in august during my pct.....but if you could hit me off with that diet it would be cool

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if you could give me a example of diet that would be great man, im lookin to recomp...what bf % are you if you dont mind.. your leaving me very curious about this diet your on broski... i have high prolactin lvls due to a prolactinoma (micro) so that could be why i hold fat faster im not sure im prescribed cabergoline i didnt start it yet im going to start it in august during my pct.....but if you could hit me off with that diet it would be cool
It is called Carb Back Loading. The gist of it is ULTRA low carbs before you work out. Then post workout chow down on lots of fast carbs basically till I go to sleep. Plus I don't eat breakfast.

chil

chil

Banned
Awards
It is called Carb Back Loading. The gist of it is ULTRA low carbs before you work out. Then post workout chow down on lots of fast carbs basically till I go to sleep. Plus I don't eat breakfast.
im going to have too look this up... one question how many meals do you eat a day? with this diet

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im going to have too look this up... one question how many meals do you eat a day? with this diet
It kind of depends. Honestly it isnt a set number of anything. I would say it is more of a guide or template you customize for yourself. I personally usually eat 3 maybe 4 meals a day. When I eat I fill myself and I am not left hungry. Plus with all the fat I eat my hunger is satisfied for a while.

Benjamin1

Awards
Your bodys have a (if what limited) capacity to store glucose in the form of muscle, liver or blood glycogen; so if these are depleted by 100gs (as an example) then you eat 100gs of CHO, it will most likely store in glycogen as it is much more effecient for the body to store it as glycogen and not as fat.

The body doesnt try make you fat at every turn, when you overload glycogen stores then maybe the spillover will be converted to fat, so long as the body doesnt need that extra to fulfill energy requirements
In your opinion, what is the sufficient amount of carbs (High/Low GI) someone like myself (6ft 5in/195-200lbs) could eat an hour or two before bed without my body converting it to fat?

Thanks man!

egodriver07

Awards
I have the same question but I'm not trying to hit numbers at that point. I just don't like my last meal being 6pm and not eating again till 6am. So I've been drinking 2 cups of low fat milk cuz from what I've read its about 80% casein. Anybody tried milk before bed? Do say I don't wake up starving. Just slight hunger.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
In your opinion, what is the sufficient amount of carbs (High/Low GI) someone like myself (6ft 5in/195-200lbs) could eat an hour or two before bed without my body converting it to fat?

Thanks man!
Depends on what your caloric needs are; how full your glycogen stores are; whether or not total energy needs have been met up until this point etc. too many variables for me to just guess on.

Just figure out calorie maintainence and anything at this amount, 500kcals above or under it should not convert to fat. Too much over and you run the risk

imminent

imminent

Awards
I sometimes set an alarm to wake me up to have a premade shake or sandwich when I run short on my macros.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
It really does depend on what your needs are and how soon after your workout.

OP: Since you are trying to meet your macros, are just getting off of work, and are waiting 1.5 hrs from the time you eat to when you get to bed, I wouldn't worry too much. I would maybe adjust your macros slightly so that your carbs for the last meal aren't quite as high. Not much though, I'd redistribute 25g so that you're only needing to eat 50g before bed. Regardless, make sure they are only complex.

For a couple of other situations:

1. If you are training late at night, don't worry about the carbs. You need them and your body will be putting them to use.
2. If don't train late, but have 3-5 hours between your last meal and bed eat some protein and fat. My two favorites are cottage cheese or Omega 3 eggs.

krakken

krakken

Awards
I sometimes set an alarm to wake me up to have a premade shake or sandwich when I run short on my macros.
mother f that. I wonder if disturbing sleep to eat a meal is really that beneficial...

uvawahoowa

Awards
This makes sense. But i feel like it can't be that simple. If it is (that simple of an idea) there wouldn't be so many people being so cautious about loading up on carbs/fats before bed just to meet your macros. Does that make any sense?
Stop overthinking it. If you need to hit your macros, just eat it. Though I wouldn't consume too many carbs before bed because it may inhibit GH production during sleep. It won't turn straight to fat though if you need it to hit your macros, you've been listening to dr. oz too much.

imminent

imminent

Awards
mother f that. I wonder if disturbing sleep to eat a meal is really that beneficial...
Not sure to be honest but it takes me 30 seconds to pound a shake or maybe a couple minutes to eat a sandwich so I don't disturb to much as I am still able to surplus at least 8 hrs a night and with the 1.5-2 gallons of water a day it gives me a chance to relieve some pressure anyways. I would love to hear some opinions on this though as I am definitely not a professional.

krakken

krakken

Awards
Not sure to be honest but it takes me 30 seconds to pound a shake or maybe a couple minutes to eat a sandwich so I don't disturb to much as I am still able to surplus at least 8 hrs a night and with the 1.5-2 gallons of water a day it gives me a chance to relieve some pressure anyways. I would love to hear some opinions on this though as I am definitely not a professional.
Lol, me either.

Benjamin1

Awards
It really does depend on what your needs are and how soon after your workout.

OP: Since you are trying to meet your macros, are just getting off of work, and are waiting 1.5 hrs from the time you eat to when you get to bed, I wouldn't worry too much. I would maybe adjust your macros slightly so that your carbs for the last meal aren't quite as high. Not much though, I'd redistribute 25g so that you're only needing to eat 50g before bed. Regardless, make sure they are only complex.

For a couple of other situations:

1. If you are training late at night, don't worry about the carbs. You need them and your body will be putting them to use.
2. If don't train late, but have 3-5 hours between your last meal and bed eat some protein and fat. My two favorites are cottage cheese or Omega 3 eggs.
Thanks man, I do appreciate the advice.

My only question is, you said only complex carbs before bed. If I night train should those carbs in my pwo meal be all complex too?

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, I do appreciate the advice.

My only question is, you said only complex carbs before bed. If I night train should those carbs in my pwo meal be all complex too?
If you train at night I wouldn't worry to much about getting complex carbs. I wouldn't pig out on candy and ice cream, but white rice, potatos, pasta would all be good options.