milk and endomorph

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I have been on a bulk since about 6 months and have gained pretty good strength nd size.
My query is about milk. I get milk pretty cheap at my place and from what I know a litre of milk gives approx 30-32 grams of first class protein and around 45-50 grams of carbs. Even though milk has a very low gi but most of its carb is lactose which will always spike insulin. And I am very much sensitive to carbs. Would it be a good idea including 2-2.5litre of low fat milk in my diet, it will be really convenient for me and what would be the best times to consume it .

Edenexodus

Awards
I don't see why it would be a bad idea. I don't subscribe to the fear of fats though.

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
Drink your milk, it is high in protein and calcium which can help you put on mass. Just make sure not to go overboard.

Drinking it early in the day or after your workout should both be fine.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You semi answered your own question. You're carb sensitive [diagnosed? or just dont like carbs coxz you think they make you fat?] but can tolerate any amount of lactose and drinking milk is convienient for you. So then drink it.

Timing isnt important.

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
You semi answered your own question. You're carb sensitive [diagnosed? or just dont like carbs coxz you think they make you fat?] but can tolerate any amount of lactose and drinking milk is convienient for you. So then drink it.

Timing isnt important.
Timing isnt important ?? :-/
I don't think it would be a good idea ingesting any kind of sugar before bed! Thoughts ?

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
Drink your milk, it is high in protein and calcium which can help you put on mass. Just make sure not to go overboard.

Drinking it early in the day or after your workout should both be fine.
What do you think would be the ideal amount ?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Timing isnt important ?? :-/
I don't think it would be a good idea ingesting any kind of sugar before bed! Thoughts ?
Doesn't really matter, unless of course the extra sugar causes you to over saturate muscle glycogen stores and then get stored as fat. Chances are though, this isnt the case. Just because sugar causes an insulin spike, it does not mean your body automatically stores it as fat, this is a huge misconception. Insulin works by moving excess blood sugar into muscle cell stores where it is converted into muscle glycogen, or into the liver for conversion into liver glycogen.

Stored glucose is NOT fat.

Also, lactose, although a monosaccaride (single molecule carbohydrate), is actually low G.I. and will not cause an insulin spike, and has to be converted into glucose before the body can either store it, or use it. As using glucose is far more effecient for the body than converting it into adipose fat, the body would prefer to utilise the fuel either now, or in the future (as glycogen). When glycogen stores are depleted, and calorie intake is in excess, then the remainder may be converted into fat.

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't really matter, unless of course the extra sugar causes you to over saturate muscle glycogen stores and then get stored as fat. Chances are though, this isnt the case. Just because sugar causes an insulin spike, it does not mean your body automatically stores it as fat, this is a huge misconception. Insulin works by moving excess blood sugar into muscle cell stores where it is converted into muscle glycogen, or into the liver for conversion into liver glycogen.

Stored glucose is NOT fat.

Also, lactose, although a monosaccaride (single molecule carbohydrate), is actually low G.I. and will not cause an insulin spike, and has to be converted into glucose before the body can either store it, or use it. As using glucose is far more effecient for the body than converting it into adipose fat, the body would prefer to utilise the fuel either now, or in the future (as glycogen). When glycogen stores are depleted, and calorie intake is in excess, then the remainder may be converted into fat.
Thanks man that pretty much clears all my doubts.
But are sugars a good source of carbs. Afaik fibrous carbs and low gi carbs are better.
From what you are saying I gather that you think carbs will not make us fat no matter what kind of carbs they are if they fit in our daily macros and calories required.
I don't really buy the idea that all carbs are treated the same by our body!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man that pretty much clears all my doubts.
But are sugars a good source of carbs. Afaik fibrous carbs and low gi carbs are better.
From what you are saying I gather that you think carbs will not make us fat no matter what kind of carbs they are if they fit in our daily macros and calories required.
I don't really buy the idea that all carbs are treated the same by our body!
Sort of, its very complicated. I wouldn't eat a tonne of sugar just for the sake of it because this will cause a rapid and high insulin response and some of that MAY get converted into fat. Low G.I carbs are best (or moderate G.I) to avoid rebound hypoglycemia (crashing energy levels).

And no, your right, not all carbs are treated equally by the body. Some have to undergo a lot of breakdown before they can be used, some need less breakdown and others require none (glucose) before the body can use them and these are more beneficial at certain times.

Just remember that your body doesn't want to hold onto excess fat as it can perform a lot better without it but it will hold onto it if you either feed it too much and it has no choice but to convert it into fat or if the body is in starvation mode.

But as lactose is low G.I., the digestion process is slow and cant even enter the blood until it becomes glucose

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
Sort of, its very complicated. I wouldn't eat a tonne of sugar just for the sake of it because this will cause a rapid and high insulin response and some of that MAY get converted into fat. Low G.I carbs are best (or moderate G.I) to avoid rebound hypoglycemia (crashing energy levels).

And no, your right, not all carbs are treated equally by the body. Some have to undergo a lot of breakdown before they can be used, some need less breakdown and others require none (glucose) before the body can use them and these are more beneficial at certain times.

Just remember that your body doesn't want to hold onto excess fat as it can perform a lot better without it but it will hold onto it if you either feed it too much and it has no choice but to convert it into fat or if the body is in starvation mode.

But as lactose is low G.I., the digestion process is slow and cant even enter the blood until it becomes glucose
So i should be worried about my whole diet rather than the lactose in milk !

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bruiser76

Bruiser76

Awards
I drink a gallon of whole milk EVERY day. You wanna put on size, try it out.

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
I've been drinking apprx 2 litres a day from the past six-eight months but I've put a lot of fat lately

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bruiser76

Bruiser76

Awards
Agreed. Fat intake doesn't make you fat...
Exactly. I drink a gallon of whole milk a day, eat like a kid who's parents are out of town and don't do cardio. And I don't hold much fat. If you train heavy and hard enough, you won't get fat. Period.

1test

1test

Awards
  • Established
I know guys dietary fat is not making me fat. I don't mind if the milk is whole or toned or even double toned. I have tendency to put on fat very easily that is why I am so concerned about lactose (i don't consume any other kind of sugar except post workout - dextrose). I have mentioned low fat milk because it is cheaper and I am consuming milk only for protein!

Bruiser76

Bruiser76

Awards
Drink it all day and try to get a full gallon in. Quit that wussy skim milk **** and drink at least 2% or whole milk.