Suggested exercises for triceps?

VainFate

Awards
Hello,

Sam here, saw this website while searching Google. Seems like a decent place to gather information. Anywho, i've been weight lifting for about two years now, but I just recently started to push myself to bulk up. I am wondering what would be recommended for adding mass to my triceps, exercise wise.

I don't have parallel bars, nor do i have super fancy equipment, i only posses a good ol' fashion flat bench and weight rack. Recently, i've started doing weighted dips, still haven't found my 1rm yet. Any ideas for exercises other than parallel bars to add mass to my Tri's?

VainFate

Awards
JM Press? Sorry, i'm not very acquainted with some of the weight lifting lingo. >.>

jbonez

jbonez

Banned
Awards
if you had parallel bars, id be weirded out. if you have a bench, the main ones id do would be:
close grip bench press
skull crushers
bench dips

if your weight rack consists of dumbbells then you can do kickbacks and overhead triceps extension.

just go to any workout and see what recommended people do for triceps. see if you can do them and build a list.

VainFate

Awards
Well i meant like a dip machine, or something of that sort. haha, but thanks. I heard that the Skull crushers did long term damage to your elbows. Myth, or what?

Since i'm not a very tall dude, nor over wide..i have smaller hands, and on top of that i've broken my left wrist several times. So the close grip bench press is very uncomfortable to do. Replacement suggestions?

jbonez

jbonez

Banned
Awards
literally google "tricep exercises". and i believe if you do them right, skull crusher are fine. if you are nervous, then don't do them.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A JM press is sort of like a combination between a skull crusher and a close grip bench.

If you cant do close grip bench or are worried about skull crushers then you have to start thinking outside the box. Firstly, Dips are a great place to start. Secondly, Maybe invest in an EZ grip bar to take the tension off the wrists.

You could always perform dumbbell overhead extensions....

Crusher92

Awards
floor press, man! that and close grip...i also like to do pushups with my hands really close and elbows tucked in...if you find them too easy, add wight on your back.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Best exercises for triceps have always been and will always be - IMO - dips.

Dip it up until you can dip no more, and then add some weight to it. If done correctly they will target your triceps tremendously well and it is harder to cheat on them.

MadmanMike

MadmanMike

Awards
Skull crushers, buy some wrist wraps and support your wrist, dont extend all the way out on the positive, keep a slight bend in your elbows while doing them, superset with diamond pushups, I use this when im bored of dips...goodluck

Natestreo

Natestreo

Awards
2nd on the close grip press recommendations

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Dips > skull crushers > close grip bench > kickbacks or cable pushdowns

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
dips and floor presses are the way to go!

AbigailH47

Awards
To get the best Triceps

Dips & close grip bench definitely work for you. It seems that you need it extremely and if you do it properly, it will surely gives you the best triceps you needed.

Califrniabear

Califrniabear

Awards
Dips
Skullcrushers
Close-grip BP
Tricep Extensions

in order of anecdotal effectiveness

StickmanLee

StickmanLee

Awards
Same answer mate:

Dips
Close bench
Skullies

Triceps love a good stretch and contract (like most) never heard bad news on skullies for elbows? If wrists a problem do them with dumbells and rotate your wrist to a comfy position.

Once you've built up a bit of strength/ confidence going heavy will help strengthen your bones in your wrist.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
If skulls hurt your elbows, u have to drop the bar farther over your head instead of right over your head. Just means you have longass forearms

BigDawgBite

Awards
Hands down best two tricep exercises are close grip bench with good form and weighted dips with elbows tucked in. Work your way up in some weight on these and watch those guns grow. Honestly I have gotten some great results doing tucked in elbow pushups with strict form and really focusing on the lockout. Good luck buddy

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Triceps love a good stretch and contract (like most) never heard bad news on skullies for elbows?
Some people have problems with any tricep extension exercise. It's actually one of the benefits of the JM press is you can still have that sort of movement, but it usually wont bother people with those problems. I don't know why they have them in the first place, though.

My answer is basically ==> close grip bench press, dips, french press, JM press

I would suggest a couple of others but since you only have a flat bench you can just fool with those for a while. If you have dumbbells you have some more options, too, like skullcrushers and Tate presses.

krakken

krakken

Awards
I feel like if an exercise is hurting you, your form is off or your using too much weight. Skull crushers target the whole head of the triceps and are prob the best imo. Dips are awesome too but your using accessory muscles as well doing dips. No doubt they are still awesome.

Heavy bench should also trash your tri's so I would do tri's on chest day. If you bigger tri's you have to push the weight. I would superset skulls with diamond pushups. Weighted dips are also a must.

Cant go wrong with skulls and dips. If skulls **** up your elbow, just do heavy dips man

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
I feel like if an exercise is hurting you, your form is off or your using too much weight. Skull crushers target the whole head of the triceps and are prob the best imo. Dips are awesome too but your using accessory muscles as well doing dips. No doubt they are still awesome.

Heavy bench should also trash your tri's so I would do tri's on chest day. If you bigger tri's you have to push the weight. I would superset skulls with diamond pushups. Weighted dips are also a must.

Cant go wrong with skulls and dips. If skulls **** up your elbow, just do heavy dips man

I agree with this guy. Skulls tend to hurt my elbows so I run with weighted parallel bar dips

Count1564

Awards
I'm going with reverse grip bench press. You do not have to use a super close grip or a wide one. Your elbows will stay tucked throughout the whole movement which is key for tricep involvement. If you do them on a bench, start out light ad get used to unracking it which is awkward unless you get a lift.

krakken

krakken

Awards
I'm going with reverse grip bench press. You do not have to use a super close grip or a wide one. Your elbows will stay tucked throughout the whole movement which is key for tricep involvement. If you do them on a bench, start out light ad get used to unracking it which is awkward unless you get a lift.
ya... that'll get you hooooge tri's...

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
A regular close grip bench press is also very effective and is safer than a super close grip. It also allows for more weight.

Subhajit

Awards
Skull crusher(lying triceps extensions using a barbel) is THE best exercise for ur triceps and is indispensable!It is one of the few exercises that adds mass to your triceps.Other than this one could also do the seated French Press and triceps push down on the cable using a D-Handle on the cable for that horse shoe effect!!