intermittent fasting for a bulk?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Answers
    0

    intermittent fasting for a bulk?


    Anyone done this or kno if it's been done with as much or better success than the typical 6 meals a day. Kinda wanna try it out but that would mean eating 4000 Cal within something like a 6hr window in 2-3 sittings. I don't have lots of knowledge on the lean gains fasting stuff. Any one feel like helping a bro out?

  2. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-...ngains-macros/

    Check it out!! Explains Cutting/Recomp/Bulking procedures!! Hope it helps! For recipes and more Macro help , feel free to ask!! and check the nutrition forum (Recipes subforum i mean) for more help too!! !!
  3. Registered User
    mkretz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,319
    Answers
    0


    theres no reasn y it woudlnt work.....u jsut better be ready for some epic meals :-) right now im doing it with 2 meals 3600 cals, 1980 one meal (fast break) and one 1620
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Answers
    0


    So is there really a proven benefit to the fasting. Will I really stay leaner?
  5. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    All evidence proves to do so , But i would suggest a bit of a bigger fast...18-20 hours , so autophagy can occur ! Good luck!
  6. Registered User
    XGabrielEdgeX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    127
    Answers
    0


    It's an amazing method to say the least. Love to train fasted & what's better than knowing after this workout your about to have a big meal. It's more like a reward. Lol
  7. Registered User
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Answers
    0


    Is training fasted part of the lean gains plan? I was planning on eat round 1800 Cal at 1 pm and 2200 at 6000 n I normally workout any time from 10pm-1pm? Does this work IR us there a better way to set it up?
  8. Registered User
    mkretz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,319
    Answers
    0


    ur pre workt meal shoudl only be about 20-25% of daily calories imo
  9. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    ur pre workt meal shoudl only be about 20-25% of daily calories imo
    Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    theres no reasn y it woudlnt work.....u jsut better be ready for some epic meals :-) right now im doing it with 2 meals 3600 cals, 1980 one meal (fast break) and one 1620
    Why are you recommending him something, but you aren't even doing it yourself..LOL

    IMO if you are doing two meals, having them slightly closer together in size.

    When bulking I like to have a morning shake. At about the 12hr fasted mark.
  10. Registered User
    mkretz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,319
    Answers
    0


    i have done a preworkout meal before thats y i recommnede that......right now i do 2 meals out of conveiniece, post w/o fast break 55% calories (recommended onlean gains site) and the rest before bed....
  11. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    I bulked from 242 to 280 with IF. It works fine.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  12. Registered User
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve
    I bulked from 242 to 280 with IF. It works fine.
    Was it worth it? Meaning did u notice any difference
  13. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Answers
    0


    IMO intermitten fasting is some ****ing dumb ****, especially cuse you have dumb bitches saying **** like this
    But i would suggest a bit of a bigger fast...18-20 hours , so autophagy can occur
    why the **** would u want to go into autophagy the point of a bulk is to put on muscle and obviously a little bit of fat its not possible to do a "lean bulk", and the second reason you bulk, even if its clean, is so you can have boss energy in the gym and lift bigger so if ur fasting ur gonna have **** energy, unless you dumbass intermitten fasters workout after eating one of your 3,000 cal meals, which would probably result in a ****ty bloated workout
  14. Registered User
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,481
    Answers
    0


    yeah I never understood why people want to do IF for an all out bulk.... or why they'd train fasted during a bulk. You're cutting yourself short on gains in strength and size.

    IF is by definition, a lean gains diet, AKA recomp.. If you plan an all out BULK, and maximize gains in both strength and size... IF is not the way
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  15. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    yeah I never understood why people want to do IF for an all out bulk.... or why they'd train fasted during a bulk. You're cutting yourself short on gains in strength and size.

    IF is by definition, a lean gains diet, AKA recomp.. If you plan an all out BULK, and maximize gains in both strength and size... IF is not the way
    1. You don't have to train fasted on IF.
    2.IF isn't by definition a "lean gains diet" LG is only one style, not all IF, and even then only when using 20/-20 calorie cycle is it geared towards recomp. You can use it for dieting, or bulking. It comes down to calories.

    It may be hard for some people with high caloric requirements to get down all their food in that short of a window. That could pose a problem.

    However I do feel you have a point with if wanting to maximize size gains there is probably better options.

    I still follow my same IF diet however I add a small morning feeding, making my fast closer to 12hrs when I am bulking. It has been working well.
  16. Registered User
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,481
    Answers
    0


    I hear ya. It's definitely a new approach for me as well, and I'm still learning about it. I don't think I'd ever use it except to recomp though, it seems optimal for that.

    I can't train fasted when aiming for max strength in the gym. I'd just feel depleted and empty, neeeeed that protein and carb meal before hand. I powerlift, so it just doesn't make sense for me, but since I train in the evening, it would be easy to have a bite before and then just have the feast post-workout.
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  17. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump
    I hear ya. It's definitely a new approach for me as well, and I'm still learning about it. I don't think I'd ever use it except to recomp though, it seems optimal for that.

    I can't train fasted when aiming for max strength in the gym. I'd just feel depleted and empty, neeeeed that protein and carb meal before hand. I powerlift, so it just doesn't make sense for me, but since I train in the evening, it would be easy to have a bite before and then just have the feast post-workout.
    Fwiw I'm the complete opposite. I train better fasted and also train like a pl(these days).

    Just gotta do what works best for you.

    Just about every pr I've ever hit I've done fasted.

    I typically don't train fasted anymore as I train at night now but really enjoyed when I did.

    Ps. Clear your pm box real quick.
  18. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Was it worth it? Meaning did u notice any difference
    In what way? I was the strongest and biggest I've been in my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    IMO intermitten fasting is some ****ing dumb ****, especially cuse you have dumb bitches saying **** like this why the **** would u want to go into autophagy the point of a bulk is to put on muscle and obviously a little bit of fat its not possible to do a "lean bulk", and the second reason you bulk, even if its clean, is so you can have boss energy in the gym and lift bigger so if ur fasting ur gonna have **** energy, unless you dumbass intermitten fasters workout after eating one of your 3,000 cal meals, which would probably result in a ****ty bloated workout
    Yes, you support your viewpoint so eloquently and provide excellent evidence for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    yeah I never understood why people want to do IF for an all out bulk.... or why they'd train fasted during a bulk. You're cutting yourself short on gains in strength and size.

    IF is by definition, a lean gains diet, AKA recomp.. If you plan an all out BULK, and maximize gains in both strength and size... IF is not the way
    Citation needed
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  19. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    IMO intermitten fasting is some ****ing dumb ****, especially cuse you have dumb bitches saying **** like this why the **** would u want to go into autophagy the point of a bulk is to put on muscle and obviously a little bit of fat its not possible to do a "lean bulk", and the second reason you bulk, even if its clean, is so you can have boss energy in the gym and lift bigger so if ur fasting ur gonna have **** energy, unless you dumbass intermitten fasters workout after eating one of your 3,000 cal meals, which would probably result in a ****ty bloated workout
    Listen to this guy. At 145, he clearly has bulking mastered...LOL
  20. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Listen to this guy. At 145, he clearly has bulking mastered...LOL
    Yeah...he clearly knows what autophagy means , and has read everything about IF and knows that you dont need to train fasted...Wow, question , did someone hang a sign on this forums entrance that reads "Aliterate clowns allowed, just curse and swear a lot , without the humility to learn and actually do some research before opening your pie hole!"
  21. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Answers
    0


    wht ever man ur body i just think its dumb, i went on a legit bulk of 6000 cals 6-7 meals a day, now im at 150 in two months time, surprisingly not a lot of fat gain either, also celorza nice quoting frank cuse ur what 128 lbs oh **** u tiny dick hole
  22. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    wht ever man ur body i just think its dumb, i went on a legit bulk of 6000 cals 6-7 meals a day, now im at 150 in two months time, surprisingly not a lot of fat gain either, also celorza nice quoting frank cuse ur what 128 lbs oh **** u tiny dick hole
    Quite classy , but like I have stated before, I care not for unclassy comments and also for people without proper research or intellectual background. In other words you might get: Smack your bro-science on someone else .
  23. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Answers
    0


    hope u make some fine gains on ur fastin bulk
  24. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    hope u make some fine gains on ur fastin bulk
    Thank you I'll give it my best and make sure to log results once I start on monday with all the preparations I'm taking!.
  25. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Answers
    0


    ur going all natty to right? no PH?
  26. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    ur going all natty to right? no PH?
    Docs orders , all natural (My dad is the doctor I'm referring too) , though tempted as I am to try SARMs or PH , and even said I would...Well My conscience gets the best of me, and listening to the people with higher knowledge about BBing than me , has always resulted in something good, thats how I stayed off and kept well away from clen or tren for my cut. ^^ I took MrCoopers Advice on a natural stack , and nutrition has been my research for the past months, and thanks to Frank Reynolds I came up with a solid 5/3/1 Wendler routine straight out of the textbook mainly hehe.
  27. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Answers
    0


    i ran a couple natty stacks: CLA, fishoil, animal pak sterol complex, astravar, arginie, carnatie, DAA, btw can u either explain to me the main purpose of IF or link me to a webpage, like explain the point of fasting?
  28. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    i ran a couple natty stacks: CLA, fishoil, animal pak sterol complex, astravar, arginie, carnatie, DAA, btw can u either explain to me the main purpose of IF or link me to a webpage, like explain the point of fasting?
    IFing has many styles , such as ADF, Lean Gains , etc. I personally do Lean Gains style. Heres the guide and where you can read a lot in Martins research on the subject:

    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

    Also here is the way to calculate macros and also the schemes for Cut/Recomp/Bulk. :

    http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-...ngains-macros/

    For more open discussion and tips on it:
    The Lean Gains / IF learning and Discussion Log
  29. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Answers
    0


    thnks gonna read tonight lol
  30. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Borispili View Post
    i ran a couple natty stacks: CLA, fishoil, animal pak sterol complex, astravar, arginie, carnatie, DAA, btw can u either explain to me the main purpose of IF or link me to a webpage, like explain the point of fasting?
    Check out this pussie who fasts.. What a weak lil beotch.
    Squat 1010 @220
    Deadlift 801 @198
    Bench 672 @220
    http://blog.kabukiwarrior.com/2012/0...g-methods.aspx
  31. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Check out this pussie who fasts.. What a weak lil beotch.


    http://blog.kabukiwarrior.com/2012/0...g-methods.aspx
    Every time you come up with something like that Frank I really get inspired haha , thanks bro!!
  32. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    I'll be thinking about how much of a weak bitch I am this weak when I'm deadlifting 500 for reps. Lol

    Boris hurt my feelings. Better start eating every 2.17 hrs again.
  33. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    I'll be thinking about how much of a weak bitch I am this weak when I'm deadlifting 500 for reps. Lol

    Boris hurt my feelings. Better start eating every 2.17 hrs again.
    xD hahahahaha literally cracking up! , never mess with the Frank! His sarcasm has scared off generations of disrespectful posters, or so legend says!! hahahahaha
  34. Registered User
    mkretz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,319
    Answers
    0


    u guys are quite entertaining lol
  35. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    On a serious note that kabuki blog post is a good read. Let's see if he takes the time to read it.
  36. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,066
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Docs orders , all natural (My dad is the doctor I'm referring too) , though tempted as I am to try SARMs or PH , and even said I would...Well My conscience gets the best of me, and listening to the people with higher knowledge about BBing than me , has always resulted in something good, thats how I stayed off and kept well away from clen or tren for my cut. ^^ I took MrCoopers Advice on a natural stack , and nutrition has been my research for the past months, and thanks to Frank Reynolds I came up with a solid 5/3/1 Wendler routine straight out of the textbook mainly hehe.
    Sounds like you're setting yourself up for success. Best of luck!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  37. Registered User
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Sounds like you're setting yourself up for success. Best of luck!
    Thanks buddy! I just re-adjusted my calories actually...seems like i Understimated my maintenance and well lost 2 more pounds and I am as of now 125.8 lbs ^^' so lets just eat more...and I'll be lowering cardio intensity from 1 hour to half an hour on rest days hehe.
  38. Registered User
    GeraldNY181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    148
    Answers
    0


    sumo diet.....2 meals a day, go look that up, it works for those guys...also carb backloading is similar....only protien and fat all day until after training, then massive cabs until bed- you'll feel like your starving all day haha
  39. Registered User
    suley's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  74 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0


    I have tried the IF bulk and it didnt work for me. I have now altered it to be more of a 10-12 a hour fast instead of the 16 hours reccommended by leangains. I will see how this goes. The funny thing is I gained 3kg while doing the bulk but the weights or repetitions stayed almost the same.

    However I will say the cut part was a big success. I went from 17% BF to 10% in the space of 2 and a half months while gaining muscle. However after 3 months the muscle gains completely stopped and thats why I tried the IF bulk and that didnt work either. I am coming to the conclusion that the statement by leangains that you cannot lose muscle up till 24 hours of fasting is false. Well at least in my experience it is.
  40. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by suley View Post
    I have tried the IF bulk and it didnt work for me. I have now altered it to be more of a 10-12 a hour fast instead of the 16 hours reccommended by leangains. I will see how this goes. The funny thing is I gained 3kg while doing the bulk but the weights or repetitions stayed almost the same.

    However I will say the cut part was a big success. I went from 17% BF to 10% in the space of 2 and a half months while gaining muscle. However after 3 months the muscle gains completely stopped and thats why I tried the IF bulk and that didnt work either. I am coming to the conclusion that the statement by leangains that you cannot lose muscle up till 24 hours of fasting is false. Well at least in my experience it is.
    Hard to really speculate on what you could have done to improve it without knowing more details.

    I had some concerns myself, and actually moved away from it for a while by adding a 4th meal, in the morning, but ended up getting back to IF and made it work fairly well. I gained a good 25-30lbs at the highest, and am still up about 20, and still in good shape. Took some tweaking for me to really make the most out of it, when trying to solely focus on mass.

    Maybe it's not for you, but there might be more you can do to make the most of it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. intermittent fasting help please
    By cleveland3 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM
  2. intermittent fasting
    By dark child in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
  3. intermittent fasting
    By Shavani in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM
  4. Intermittent Fasting
    By trackstud100m in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in