intermittent fasting for a bulk?

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Anyone done this or kno if it's been done with as much or better success than the typical 6 meals a day. Kinda wanna try it out but that would mean eating 4000 Cal within something like a 6hr window in 2-3 sittings. I don't have lots of knowledge on the lean gains fasting stuff. Any one feel like helping a bro out?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
theres no reasn y it woudlnt work.....u jsut better be ready for some epic meals :) right now im doing it with 2 meals 3600 cals, 1980 one meal (fast break) and one 1620

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
So is there really a proven benefit to the fasting. Will I really stay leaner?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
All evidence proves to do so , But i would suggest a bit of a bigger fast...18-20 hours , so autophagy can occur :)! Good luck!

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
It's an amazing method to say the least. Love to train fasted & what's better than knowing after this workout your about to have a big meal. It's more like a reward. Lol

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Is training fasted part of the lean gains plan? I was planning on eat round 1800 Cal at 1 pm and 2200 at 6000 n I normally workout any time from 10pm-1pm? Does this work IR us there a better way to set it up?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ur pre workt meal shoudl only be about 20-25% of daily calories imo

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ur pre workt meal shoudl only be about 20-25% of daily calories imo
theres no reasn y it woudlnt work.....u jsut better be ready for some epic meals :) right now im doing it with 2 meals 3600 cals, 1980 one meal (fast break) and one 1620
Why are you recommending him something, but you aren't even doing it yourself..LOL

IMO if you are doing two meals, having them slightly closer together in size.

When bulking I like to have a morning shake. At about the 12hr fasted mark.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have done a preworkout meal before thats y i recommnede that......right now i do 2 meals out of conveiniece, post w/o fast break 55% calories (recommended onlean gains site) and the rest before bed....

Borispili

Borispili

Banned
Awards
IMO intermitten fasting is some ****ing dumb ****, especially cuse you have dumb bitches saying **** like this
But i would suggest a bit of a bigger fast...18-20 hours , so autophagy can occur
why the **** would u want to go into autophagy the point of a bulk is to put on muscle and obviously a little bit of fat its not possible to do a "lean bulk", and the second reason you bulk, even if its clean, is so you can have boss energy in the gym and lift bigger so if ur fasting ur gonna have **** energy, unless you dumbass intermitten fasters workout after eating one of your 3,000 cal meals, which would probably result in a ****ty bloated workout

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah I never understood why people want to do IF for an all out bulk.... or why they'd train fasted during a bulk. You're cutting yourself short on gains in strength and size.

IF is by definition, a lean gains diet, AKA recomp.. If you plan an all out BULK, and maximize gains in both strength and size... IF is not the way

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah I never understood why people want to do IF for an all out bulk.... or why they'd train fasted during a bulk. You're cutting yourself short on gains in strength and size.

IF is by definition, a lean gains diet, AKA recomp.. If you plan an all out BULK, and maximize gains in both strength and size... IF is not the way
1. You don't have to train fasted on IF.
2.IF isn't by definition a "lean gains diet" LG is only one style, not all IF, and even then only when using 20/-20 calorie cycle is it geared towards recomp. You can use it for dieting, or bulking. It comes down to calories.

It may be hard for some people with high caloric requirements to get down all their food in that short of a window. That could pose a problem.

However I do feel you have a point with if wanting to maximize size gains there is probably better options.

I still follow my same IF diet however I add a small morning feeding, making my fast closer to 12hrs when I am bulking. It has been working well.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I hear ya. It's definitely a new approach for me as well, and I'm still learning about it. I don't think I'd ever use it except to recomp though, it seems optimal for that.

I can't train fasted when aiming for max strength in the gym. I'd just feel depleted and empty, neeeeed that protein and carb meal before hand. I powerlift, so it just doesn't make sense for me, but since I train in the evening, it would be easy to have a bite before and then just have the feast post-workout.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hear ya. It's definitely a new approach for me as well, and I'm still learning about it. I don't think I'd ever use it except to recomp though, it seems optimal for that.

I can't train fasted when aiming for max strength in the gym. I'd just feel depleted and empty, neeeeed that protein and carb meal before hand. I powerlift, so it just doesn't make sense for me, but since I train in the evening, it would be easy to have a bite before and then just have the feast post-workout.
Fwiw I'm the complete opposite. I train better fasted and also train like a pl(these days).

Just gotta do what works best for you.

Just about every pr I've ever hit I've done fasted.

I typically don't train fasted anymore as I train at night now but really enjoyed when I did.

Ps. Clear your pm box real quick.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was it worth it? Meaning did u notice any difference
In what way? I was the strongest and biggest I've been in my life.

IMO intermitten fasting is some ****ing dumb ****, especially cuse you have dumb bitches saying **** like this why the **** would u want to go into autophagy the point of a bulk is to put on muscle and obviously a little bit of fat its not possible to do a "lean bulk", and the second reason you bulk, even if its clean, is so you can have boss energy in the gym and lift bigger so if ur fasting ur gonna have **** energy, unless you dumbass intermitten fasters workout after eating one of your 3,000 cal meals, which would probably result in a ****ty bloated workout
Yes, you support your viewpoint so eloquently and provide excellent evidence for it. :rolleyes:

Citation needed :)

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IMO intermitten fasting is some ****ing dumb ****, especially cuse you have dumb bitches saying **** like this why the **** would u want to go into autophagy the point of a bulk is to put on muscle and obviously a little bit of fat its not possible to do a "lean bulk", and the second reason you bulk, even if its clean, is so you can have boss energy in the gym and lift bigger so if ur fasting ur gonna have **** energy, unless you dumbass intermitten fasters workout after eating one of your 3,000 cal meals, which would probably result in a ****ty bloated workout
Listen to this guy. At 145, he clearly has bulking mastered...LOL

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Listen to this guy. At 145, he clearly has bulking mastered...LOL
Yeah...he clearly knows what autophagy means , and has read everything about IF and knows that you dont need to train fasted...Wow, question , did someone hang a sign on this forums entrance that reads "Aliterate clowns allowed, just curse and swear a lot , without the humility to learn and actually do some research before opening your pie hole!"

Borispili

Borispili

Banned
Awards
wht ever man ur body i just think its dumb, i went on a legit bulk of 6000 cals 6-7 meals a day, now im at 150 in two months time, surprisingly not a lot of fat gain either, also celorza nice quoting frank cuse ur what 128 lbs oh **** u tiny dick hole

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
wht ever man ur body i just think its dumb, i went on a legit bulk of 6000 cals 6-7 meals a day, now im at 150 in two months time, surprisingly not a lot of fat gain either, also celorza nice quoting frank cuse ur what 128 lbs oh **** u tiny dick hole
Quite classy , but like I have stated before, I care not for unclassy comments and also for people without proper research or intellectual background. In other words you might get: Smack your bro-science on someone else :).

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
hope u make some fine gains on ur fastin bulk
Thank you :) I'll give it my best and make sure to log results once I start on monday with all the preparations I'm taking!.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
ur going all natty to right? no PH?
Docs orders , all natural (My dad is the doctor I'm referring too) , though tempted as I am to try SARMs or PH , and even said I would...Well My conscience gets the best of me, and listening to the people with higher knowledge about BBing than me , has always resulted in something good, thats how I stayed off and kept well away from clen or tren for my cut. ^^ I took MrCoopers Advice on a natural stack , and nutrition has been my research for the past months, and thanks to Frank Reynolds I came up with a solid 5/3/1 Wendler routine straight out of the textbook mainly hehe.

Borispili

Borispili

Banned
Awards
i ran a couple natty stacks: CLA, fishoil, animal pak sterol complex, astravar, arginie, carnatie, DAA, btw can u either explain to me the main purpose of IF or link me to a webpage, like explain the point of fasting?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
i ran a couple natty stacks: CLA, fishoil, animal pak sterol complex, astravar, arginie, carnatie, DAA, btw can u either explain to me the main purpose of IF or link me to a webpage, like explain the point of fasting?
IFing has many styles , such as ADF, Lean Gains , etc. I personally do Lean Gains style. Heres the guide and where you can read a lot in Martins research on the subject:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Also here is the way to calculate macros and also the schemes for Cut/Recomp/Bulk. :

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/23/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

For more open discussion and tips on it:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/174612-lean-gains-if.html

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'll be thinking about how much of a weak bitch I am this weak when I'm deadlifting 500 for reps. Lol

Boris hurt my feelings. :( Better start eating every 2.17 hrs again.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I'll be thinking about how much of a weak bitch I am this weak when I'm deadlifting 500 for reps. Lol

Boris hurt my feelings. :( Better start eating every 2.17 hrs again.
xD hahahahaha literally cracking up! , never mess with the Frank! His sarcasm has scared off generations of disrespectful posters, or so legend says!! hahahahaha

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
On a serious note that kabuki blog post is a good read. Let's see if he takes the time to read it.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Docs orders , all natural (My dad is the doctor I'm referring too) , though tempted as I am to try SARMs or PH , and even said I would...Well My conscience gets the best of me, and listening to the people with higher knowledge about BBing than me , has always resulted in something good, thats how I stayed off and kept well away from clen or tren for my cut. ^^ I took MrCoopers Advice on a natural stack , and nutrition has been my research for the past months, and thanks to Frank Reynolds I came up with a solid 5/3/1 Wendler routine straight out of the textbook mainly hehe.
Sounds like you're setting yourself up for success. Best of luck!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Sounds like you're setting yourself up for success. Best of luck!
Thanks buddy! I just re-adjusted my calories actually...seems like i Understimated my maintenance and well lost 2 more pounds and I am as of now 125.8 lbs ^^' so lets just eat more...and I'll be lowering cardio intensity from 1 hour to half an hour on rest days hehe.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
sumo diet.....2 meals a day, go look that up, it works for those guys...also carb backloading is similar....only protien and fat all day until after training, then massive cabs until bed- you'll feel like your starving all day haha

suley

Awards
I have tried the IF bulk and it didnt work for me. I have now altered it to be more of a 10-12 a hour fast instead of the 16 hours reccommended by leangains. I will see how this goes. The funny thing is I gained 3kg while doing the bulk but the weights or repetitions stayed almost the same.

However I will say the cut part was a big success. I went from 17% BF to 10% in the space of 2 and a half months while gaining muscle. However after 3 months the muscle gains completely stopped and thats why I tried the IF bulk and that didnt work either. I am coming to the conclusion that the statement by leangains that you cannot lose muscle up till 24 hours of fasting is false. Well at least in my experience it is.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have tried the IF bulk and it didnt work for me. I have now altered it to be more of a 10-12 a hour fast instead of the 16 hours reccommended by leangains. I will see how this goes. The funny thing is I gained 3kg while doing the bulk but the weights or repetitions stayed almost the same.

However I will say the cut part was a big success. I went from 17% BF to 10% in the space of 2 and a half months while gaining muscle. However after 3 months the muscle gains completely stopped and thats why I tried the IF bulk and that didnt work either. I am coming to the conclusion that the statement by leangains that you cannot lose muscle up till 24 hours of fasting is false. Well at least in my experience it is.
Hard to really speculate on what you could have done to improve it without knowing more details.

I had some concerns myself, and actually moved away from it for a while by adding a 4th meal, in the morning, but ended up getting back to IF and made it work fairly well. I gained a good 25-30lbs at the highest, and am still up about 20, and still in good shape. Took some tweaking for me to really make the most out of it, when trying to solely focus on mass.

Maybe it's not for you, but there might be more you can do to make the most of it.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
NP. Gotta give credit where it is due. I thought it was a good read.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How would this work for someone who has a rotating schedule? By that I mean I workout, work, and go to school and other then school all the times are never the same.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea just fast for 16 hours, then start eating lol not too diffficult, if ur w/o falls in teh fasting period u train fasted with bcaas if not have a pre workout meal, jsut make sure ur post workout meal is the bigest!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yea just fast for 16 hours, then start eating lol not too diffficult, if ur w/o falls in teh fasting period u train fasted with bcaas if not have a pre workout meal, jsut make sure ur post workout meal is the bigest!
I might try it some day.