Can I gain muscle while doing Cardio?

  1. Can I gain muscle while doing Cardio?


    So hi all, ATM I'm running 5-6kms a day, 5 times a week. I am also hitting the gym 4-5 times a week. I am looking to put on size while remaining some low body fat %. I understand proper technique (low reps, high sets) for putting on size. But definetly wondering if this cardio will stop my gains.
    Thanks all!


  2. It will slower them and require more calories, but cardio itself will not stop you from gaining muscle. IMO, your recovery will be better because your physical conditioning is very high.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It will slower them and require more calories, but cardio itself will not stop you from gaining muscle. IMO, your recovery will be better because your physical conditioning is very high.
    this.....you'll have to compensate with a surplus of cals
    •   
       


  4. Thanks! Also I'm on whey isolate for post and casein for night time goodness, good combo?

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Chrisnova92 View Post
    Thanks! Also I'm on whey isolate for post and casein for night time goodness, good combo?
    It's fine, but it really doesn't matter as much as the magazines say.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  6. So I'm 68 kgs and 6'3'' what kind of calories are we talking here ? And will
    I still be able to keep down the body fat (formerly fat and petrified of going back!)

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Chrisnova92 View Post
    Thanks! Also I'm on whey isolate for post and casein for night time goodness, good combo?
    its just protein so dont put too much thought into it.....casein before bed is over rated imo..

  8. go to fitnessfrog dot com and use the calculators

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Chrisnova92 View Post
    So I'm 68 kgs and 6'3'' what kind of calories are we talking here ? And will
    I still be able to keep down the body fat (formerly fat and petrified of going back!)
    You're extremely light and actually underweight. As far as actual calories go, it's really hard to say, but start at 3000/day and slowly increase by 200-300 per week.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  10. Thats a tall order friend but I'll give it a go. 5 meals a day sound good?

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Chrisnova92 View Post
    Thats a tall order friend but I'll give it a go. 5 meals a day sound good?
    Sounds good.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  12. Awesome information here from very reputable people.

    Remember...
    gaining weight : calories in > calories used

    Losing weight : calories in < calories burned.

    Like already stated you will have to compensate for calories used running. I run all year round as my goals lean to athleticism, strength, and agility. It has only helped my progress doing cardio all year round, but really hits the grocery bill hard.

  13. I think doing THAT much cardio will surely damnage your muscle gain if you are not eatting enough... If you want to add muscles and can't leave your cardio... Than add some more healthy foods to your diet.
  14. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You're extremely light and actually underweight. As far as actual calories go, it's really hard to say, but start at 3000/day and slowly increase by 200-300 per week.
    I couldn't reach 68kg/150 lbs at my height without an amputation I think.

    But that sounds good as far as calories go, and keep in mind that if you don't want to add much fat, an expectation of a pound gained every 2-4 weeks is probably best. When you get to a pound a week, definitely some is fat if you are past the newbie period.
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  15. no, you cant gain wieght on this routine naturally....your output and metabolic rate is too high, it wouldnt matter how many calories you ate- you could eat 10,000 calories a day and your body would just dump it all, youd be going the bathroom all day....you have to slow down if you wantt to gain wieght-period

  16. Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    no, you cant gain wieght on this routine naturally....your output and metabolic rate is too high, it wouldnt matter how many calories you ate- you could eat 10,000 calories a day and your body would just dump it all, youd be going the bathroom all day....you have to slow down if you wantt to gain wieght-period
    I don't agree.
    I train with rugby players all the time who have high muscle mass who train with similar routine as Chrisnova92. Yes, cutting down on EITHER will result in weight gain as you are decreasing the amount of work your body is undergoing without increasing calorie intake however that is not the point. You can gain muscle by following your routine, just be more mindful of your nutrition and calorie intake. 10,000kcals per day is hugely excessive unless you are training VERY intensely and over long durations. I'd be more inclined to follow Rogjas advice, you are underweight, and therefore need to up your calorie intake if you wish to add size. Also high reps low sets isnt necessarily whats needed to gain size. Its more to do with volume however that is an entirely different matter.

    Id recommended using a program such as foodworks 2009 and inputting all your stats (incldn exercise intensity) and working out an estimate of your calorie expenditure, then eating in excess of this. Or, weigh yourself once a week and if your losing weight, try upping your calories until you meet your requirements then eat in excess.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

    I don't agree.
    I train with rugby players all the time who have high muscle mass who train with similar routine as Chrisnova92. Yes, cutting down on EITHER will result in weight gain as you are decreasing the amount of work your body is undergoing without increasing calorie intake however that is not the point. You can gain muscle by following your routine, just be more mindful of your nutrition and calorie intake. 10,000kcals per day is hugely excessive unless you are training VERY intensely and over long durations. I'd be more inclined to follow Rogjas advice, you are underweight (im 5'11" and weigh 85kg), and therefore need to up your calorie intake if you wish to add size. Also high reps low sets isnt necessarily whats needed to gain size. Its more to do with volume however that is an entirely different matter.

    Id recommended using a program such as foodworks 2009 and inputting all your stats (incldn exercise intensity) and working out an estimate of your calorie expenditure, then eating in excess of this. Or, weigh yourself once a week and if your losing weight, try upping your calories until you meet your requirements then eat in excess.
    Reps when i'm not on my phone, this is excellent advice. I'm 6' 81kg, and believe me it is all about caloric intake. I can cut out cardio, do nothing else different, but if the caloric excess isn't there, i'm back down to 174-175 in two days or so. Beat advice I have had on these forums isn't what supp to take or the best PH, its how to track and plan macros, and to eat! And yeah, keep doing cardio. Body in motion tends to stay in motion, follow any of rickrock's logs, the guy is cut and stays cut, and does crazy cardio- lean bulking is possible, if slower
    Life is cold, short, and brutal
    Training log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/207211-sae2110s-training-log.html

  18. It's all about the amount of calories you put in....

    Just ask yourself this: if you can't gain muscle while doing cardio, explain football players.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html

  19. You can, I will be doing cardio now & believe you me Im not going to let me stop gaining muscle.
    Good answers in here.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  20. I run most nights (2 dogs sleep all day while I work, no run = wild dogs all night) I play rugby and can not imagine how difficult it would be without decent endurance.

    Dump calories post work out, and make sure to end every day in a surplus (Maintenance + calories burned + 500cals)

    The super human radio episode about CNS talked about how low intensity (distance not sprints) running had little impact on CNS. Besides energy usage (calories) it should really only have a positive effect on training IMO. Granted this all is assuming you DO stay in a calorie surplus.

  21. Try doing HIIT for cardio. Take a look at the winner of the 2011 NYC Marathon (long distance running), Geoffrey Mutai. Light on his feet and skinny. Now take a look at the fastest sprinter in the world, Usain Bolt. Lean muscles and strong

  22. Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    Try doing HIIT for cardio. Take a look at the winner of the 2011 NYC Marathon (long distance running), Geoffrey Mutai. Light on his feet and skinny. Now take a look at the fastest sprinter in the world, Usain Bolt. Lean muscles and strong
    Terrible example.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  23. Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    Try doing HIIT for cardio. Take a look at the winner of the 2011 NYC Marathon (long distance running), Geoffrey Mutai. Light on his feet and skinny. Now take a look at the fastest sprinter in the world, Usain Bolt. Lean muscles and strong
    Kind of a stretch comparing LISS cardio a few times per week to training for a marathon

  24. It would help it he cited something. OP is talking about running >20 miles per week, which is a fraction of something that a marathon runner will be doing. Also, distance runners generally do very little weight training while the opposite is true for sprinters.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  25. How about 10 mins pre and 15 mins post lifting??
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com

  26. Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107 View Post
    How about 10 mins pre and 15 mins post lifting??
    I dont recommend it... save it all for post lifting. I am no expert though.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html

  27. Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107 View Post
    How about 10 mins pre and 15 mins post lifting??
    Moderate or HIIT?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  28. I eat doughnuts during LISS so I can gain weight. Am I doing it wrong?

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Moderate or HIIT?
    Moderate about 200 cals burned total
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com

  30. Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107 View Post
    Moderate about 200 cals burned total
    That's fine and it's actually a good idea to get the blood flowing and to warm up the CNS.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  31. Just do some moderate and some HIIT, mix both in, can't go wrong with it.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html

  32. A marathon runner and sprinter rely on completely different energy systems and therefore their training reflects this. Apples and Oranges. HIIT is perfect for blasting fat and increasing BMR, however if calorie intake is not sufficient, this may hinder muscle growth. I would not say don't do it, but just make sure your getting the calories in.

    Going for a run beforehand is a good idea, and the short duration of 10minutes moderate is ideal imo. throw in some movements that get the blood flowing to the parts of the body you are targeting in your weight training just to get them warm.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Mass gain cardio
    By Edge50 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM
  3. cardio and weight gain?
    By BLANE in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
  4. M1T and muscle gain
    By blitzit in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Log in
Log in