New to AM - Looking to gain weight

Thumper_T

Awards
Hey guys I'm new to A-M and I thought I would write my first thread and get some advice on my fitness goals. My highest priority is gaining weight and then distributing that into muscle. I'm 5'10, weigh 135 lbs and have a very fast metabolism. I can eat, and eat, and eat all day long but can never seem to "keep" any calories as it just burns off throughout the day.

So, my question is to know where to begin. How much calories/protein/fat/carbs should I intake each day? What's the best way to divide each meal per calorie/protein? What are the best foods to quickly gain weight?

This may seem pretty general but I'm mainly just looking for some helpful hints to help me get started with the process.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing the responses!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hey guys I'm new to A-M and I thought I would write my first thread and get some advice on my fitness goals. My highest priority is gaining weight and then distributing that into muscle. I'm 5'10, weigh 135 lbs and have a very fast metabolism. I can eat, and eat, and eat all day long but can never seem to "keep" any calories as it just burns off throughout the day.

So, my question is to know where to begin. How much calories/protein/fat/carbs should I intake each day? What's the best way to divide each meal per calorie/protein? What are the best foods to quickly gain weight?

This may seem pretty general but I'm mainly just looking for some helpful hints to help me get started with the process.

If ur an ecto eat...
May sound bad but don't be afraid of burgers and fries and serious mass and up your mass :)

punjabimunde

punjabimunde

Awards
Peanut butter, jelly and Tuna sandwiches...avacados...high protein shakes with raw egg in em...food with high carbs are good for weight gain...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Peanut butter, jelly and Tuna sandwiches...avacados...high protein shakes with raw egg in em...food with high carbs are good for weight gain...
And banana and p butter sandwiches haha

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
punjabimunde

punjabimunde

Awards
I use that a lot!
I use eat those everyday like 4 or 5 sandwiches to bulk with high protein shake with 3 or 4 raw eggs...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I use eat those everyday like 4 or 5 sandwiches to bulk with high protein shake with 3 or 4 raw eggs...
Damn that's a lot.
Lucky if I can eat 2 or 3 haha

punjabimunde

punjabimunde

Awards
Damn that's a lot.
Lucky if I can eat 2 or 3 haha
Yea I gained 30lbs in 2 months...and now I'm cutting...I was at 210lbs last April...now I weight 169...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yea I gained 30lbs in 2 months...and now I'm cutting...I was at 210lbs last April...now I weight 169...
Damn!
Is that normal haha.
How long it take u to drop the 40lbs?

punjabimunde

punjabimunde

Awards
Damn!
Is that normal haha.
How long it take u to drop the 40lbs?
Like 10months...while drinking alcohol once a week lol...

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established

ooo right man im feeling nice so ill do the hard work for you!!!

MACROS:
Calories - 2782cals a day (Not sure what you do in your day to day life and work but i classed you lightly active)
Protein - 270grams a day
Carbs - 270grams a day
Fats - 55grams a day

Eat 6+ meals a day 2-3hrs spaced apart roughly

FOODS:
There was a thread recently about bulking on a budget but since you havent bothered to use the search function yet to get your answers im assuming you wont use it now SO! - (Mince - Peanut butter - milk - oats - museli - bacon - chicken breasts - cottage cheese - rice - pasta packs - potatoes - Pizza - Cheese - Tuna) These are just some stample as far as when to eat the foods WHO CARES for now just get you macros in for the day before you go to sleep.

And i can guarantee you not eating enough!! - IF YOUR STILL NOT GAINING AT THE END OF THE MONTH INCREASE YOUR CALS TO AROUND 3000.

MILK!!!! :trink26: DRINK IT. A GALLON A DAY OR CLOSE TO IT!!

PROGRAM:
"Base Novice program"

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Lighter pull from floor (rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3)

Why so few exercises? Why so little sets and reps? Why not add a few things right off the bat? Where the hell is the arm work? Check the Table of Contents, Section V. I address all of that specifically.

You progress on the base novice program for as long as you can add weight to the bar every workout. If you stall on one of the lifts but continue to progress on the other 2, you can make some "adjustments" to that specific troublesome lift (See Table of Contents - Section III - Programming - stalling and resetting), but continue to drive on with the other 2. Understand that 99% of you will stall faster on the presses and lighter pulls than you will on the squats and the heavy pulls (i.e. deadlifts).

Once you become tolerant to the volume contained within the base novice program, you can begin to judiciously add exercises. For some completely untrained/unfit/unathletic people, and especially for those who are "more mature" (i.e. an old fart, like me), you could end up sticking with this basic program for several weeks. For the naturally strong or the fit athlete involved in strength-oriented sports such as football, hockey, wrestling, martial arts, etc, this initiation period may only be 2 weeks, and you will be ready to tolerate added work.

At this point, 2 bodyweight exercises can be added.

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Pull from floor (rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3)
PULLUPS/CHINS - 2 x 8-12 - (3 sets of pullups/chins can be done if you do the cleans instead of the rows)

You add dips to Workout A and chins to workout B. Which should you do, pullups or chinups? How wide should your hands be? Why 8-12 reps? See Table of Contents, Section II, under Accessory Exercises.

Give this a few weeks. Most people, if they introduce these 2 exercises correctly (i.e. you don't rush it, and you maintain proper nutrition/rest/recovery) will be able to make a few months worth of solid progress with this exact template. Eventually, however, most of you will get impatient and will INSIST on adding some direct arm work. Here is how you should add it.

Friday workout only
curl - 2 x 8-12
triceps extension (TriEx)- 2 x 8-12

Notice it's not added to Workout A AND Workout B? notice it's not always added to the SAME workout all the time? You add it to the Friday workout because you will have an extra day to recover from the training. Exact techniques on the curls and extensions is further discussed in Section II, Accessory Exercises.

Abdominal work is desirable. Abdominal work can be added carefully from the time you begin the training. Do NOT overdo this, as your midsection will take a pounding from the squats, deadlifts, and pulls from the floor. You do not want your midsection tired while performing these lifts or you can injure yourself. As a result, I highly recommend you start off with 1 set of abs per workout during the first week, and add no more than 1 set of abdominal exercise per week. For more specific advice regarding abdominal training, once again, head over to Section II.

For additional training of the posterior chain (i.e. the lower back, the glutes and the hamstrings), you can add back extensions, aka "hyperextensions", reverse hypers or GHR (glute ham raises). BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ADDING THIS TRAINING. It's not supposed to be exhausting, so don't make it so. You probably won't need this for a LONG time. Regardless, 1 or possibly 2 sets of 12-15 reps, not to failure, should be sufficient. Of course, head to Section II for more specific information regarding these exercises and their proper application.

If you add ALL this stuff, this is how it will look. Note that it will probably take several months before you really need to work up to this level and volume (and complexity). For God's sakes, DON'T START OFF WITH ALL THIS STUFF!!! Do the BASE NOVICE WORKOUT for as long as possible. The less work you do in the gym at the start, the more energy you have for recovery. The more energy you have for recovery, the better you will grow. You only need to add the extra "stuff" once the original "stuff" no longer sufficiently stresses your body.

Monday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
GHR - 2 x 12-15
Abs

Wednesday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Pullups/chins - 2 x 8-15 (3 sets if you do the cleans)
Abs

Friday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
Curls - 2 x 8-12
TriEx - 2 x 8-12

Once again, you MUST be able to add weight to the bar on your main exercises. If you add the exercises and you aren't able to recover, or you aren't adding weight to the bar on your main exercises, then this is not the answer.

DO IT!!! DONT GET OFF IT UNTIL YOU CAN (BENCH/300 - SQUAT/400 - DEAD/500)
Plz dont keep:type: and reading about new theories and programs and ideas, Just ignore the net the whole time and all of its bull **** gloriness!!!

Sign up and use this to help watch macros - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/learn_more

There you go!! PLZZZZZZ MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST YOUR CALORIES AS YOU GROW, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE CALCULATIONS TO DO SO, AGAIN GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

Sorry if i was a lil sarcastic in my post but its been a long day, NOW! GO AWAY! AND GROW![/FONT]

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

MACROS:
Calories - 2782cals a day (Not sure what you do in your day to day life and work but i classed you lightly active)
Protein - 270grams a day
Carbs - 270grams a day
Fats - 55grams a day

FOODS:
There was a thread recently about bulking on a budget but since you havent bothered to use the search function yet to get your answers im assuming you wont use it now SO! - (Mince - Peanut butter - milk - oats - museli - bacon - chicken breasts - cottage cheese - rice - pasta packs - potatoes - Pizza - Cheese - Tuna) These are just some stample as far as when to eat the foods WHO CARES for now just get you macros in for the day before you go to sleep.

And i can guarantee you not eating enough!! - IF YOUR STILL NOT GAINING AT THE END OF THE MONTH INCREASE YOUR CALS TO AROUND 3000.

PROGRAM:
"Base Novice program"

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5

Why so few exercises? Why so little sets and reps? Why not add a few things right off the bat? Where the hell is the arm work? Check the Table of Contents, Section V. I address all of that specifically.

You progress on the base novice program for as long as you can add weight to the bar every workout. If you stall on one of the lifts but continue to progress on the other 2, you can make some "adjustments" to that specific troublesome lift (See Table of Contents - Section III - Programming - stalling and resetting), but continue to drive on with the other 2. Understand that 99% of you will stall faster on the presses and lighter pulls than you will on the squats and the heavy pulls (i.e. deadlifts).

Once you become tolerant to the volume contained within the base novice program, you can begin to judiciously add exercises. For some completely untrained/unfit/unathletic people, and especially for those who are "more mature" (i.e. an old fart, like me), you could end up sticking with this basic program for several weeks. For the naturally strong or the fit athlete involved in strength-oriented sports such as football, hockey, wrestling, martial arts, etc, this initiation period may only be 2 weeks, and you will be ready to tolerate added work.

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
PULLUPS/CHINS - 2 x 8-12 - (3 sets of pullups/chins can be done if you do the cleans instead of the rows)

You add dips to Workout A and chins to workout B. Which should you do, pullups or chinups? How wide should your hands be? Why 8-12 reps? See Table of Contents, Section II, under Accessory Exercises.

Give this a few weeks. Most people, if they introduce these 2 exercises correctly (i.e. you don't rush it, and you maintain proper nutrition/rest/recovery) will be able to make a few months worth of solid progress with this exact template. Eventually, however, most of you will get impatient and will INSIST on adding some direct arm work. Here is how you should add it.

Friday workout only
curl - 2 x 8-12

Notice it's not added to Workout A AND Workout B? notice it's not always added to the SAME workout all the time? You add it to the Friday workout because you will have an extra day to recover from the training. Exact techniques on the curls and extensions is further discussed in Section II, Accessory Exercises.

Abdominal work is desirable. Abdominal work can be added carefully from the time you begin the training. Do NOT overdo this, as your midsection will take a pounding from the squats, deadlifts, and pulls from the floor. You do not want your midsection tired while performing these lifts or you can injure yourself. As a result, I highly recommend you start off with 1 set of abs per workout during the first week, and add no more than 1 set of abdominal exercise per week. For more specific advice regarding abdominal training, once again, head over to Section II.

For additional training of the posterior chain (i.e. the lower back, the glutes and the hamstrings), you can add back extensions, aka "hyperextensions", reverse hypers or GHR (glute ham raises). BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ADDING THIS TRAINING. It's not supposed to be exhausting, so don't make it so. You probably won't need this for a LONG time. Regardless, 1 or possibly 2 sets of 12-15 reps, not to failure, should be sufficient. Of course, head to Section II for more specific information regarding these exercises and their proper application.

If you add ALL this stuff, this is how it will look. Note that it will probably take several months before you really need to work up to this level and volume (and complexity). For God's sakes, DON'T START OFF WITH ALL THIS STUFF!!! Do the BASE NOVICE WORKOUT for as long as possible. The less work you do in the gym at the start, the more energy you have for recovery. The more energy you have for recovery, the better you will grow. You only need to add the extra "stuff" once the original "stuff" no longer sufficiently stresses your body.

Monday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
GHR - 2 x 12-15
Abs

Wednesday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Abs

Friday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
Curls - 2 x 8-12
TriEx - 2 x 8-12

Once again, you MUST be able to add weight to the bar on your main exercises. If you add the exercises and you aren't able to recover, or you aren't adding weight to the bar on your main exercises, then this is not the answer.

Plz dont keep:type: and reading about new theories and programs and ideas, Just ignore the net the whole time and all of its bull **** gloriness!!!

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There you go!! PLZZZZZZ MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST YOUR CALORIES AS YOU GROW, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE CALCULATIONS TO DO SO, AGAIN GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!![/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sorry if i was a lil sarcastic in my post but its been a long day, [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]NOW! GO AWAY! AND GROW![/FONT]

This is good advice!

I would add fat to try to get around 80gs a day. I shoot for 100+ but I'm a primal/paleo diet style eater. so my calorie intake is like 3500cals but I do more like a 40/40/20 fats/protein/carbs. Then flip them on workout days.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Newton is the man!

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
This is good advice!

I would add fat to try to get around 80gs a day. I shoot for 100+ but I'm a primal/paleo diet style eater. so my calorie intake is like 3500cals but I do more like a 40/40/20 fats/protein/carbs. Then flip them on workout days.
Yep or that bro!! i just calc'd his fats off 20% of his cals

Thumper_T

Awards
Thanks for all the great advice you guys (extra kudos to Newton - thanks bud!) :)

JohnJJ

Awards
eat!

sae2110

sae2110

Awards
Newton is right on. Hell ive been trying different lifting regimens and approaches, and i think i'm gonna deload in a week or so, adjust the eating, and follow the plan he listed in this thread. Sounds straightforward and easy-at least til you have 300 on the bar lol

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

MACROS:
Protein - 270grams a day
Carbs - 270grams a day
Fats - 55grams a day

FOODS:

PROGRAM:
"Base Novice program"

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
DIPS - 2 x 8-12

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5

Friday workout only
curl - 2 x 8-12

Monday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
GHR - 2 x 12-15
Abs

Wednesday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Abs

Friday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
Curls - 2 x 8-12
TriEx - 2 x 8-12

Sign up and use this to help watch macros - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/learn_more

There you go!! PLZZZZZZ MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST YOUR CALORIES AS YOU GROW, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE CALCULATIONS TO DO SO, AGAIN GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

Sorry if i was a lil sarcastic in my post but its been a long day, NOW! GO AWAY! AND GROW![/FONT]

Your making it way to easy for him. If he is too lazy to look it up or buy an actual book and read it and follow it then well you reap what you sow.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Your making it way to easy for him. If he is too lazy to look it up or buy an actual book and read it and follow it then well you reap what you sow.
yea i know!! im on this dam gomad diet atm, making me go all silly and messed up :rofl: - i prob cant talk tho coz i cant hit those numbers since i broke my forearm in half and got plates n screws put in 8 months ago or there abouts, was going to run starting strength up until my next comp, but my arm couldnt handle the fast weight increase's and was giving me hell, So i jumped on HST and man ive been seeing some really good results (very surprised tbh), and the mixture of rep ranges isnt as taxing on my arm... MAN!! shouldnt have said all this OP will read and be like DAMMMM im switching he said hes getting sweet results..... lmao

OP ignore this post!!!! hahaha

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea i know!! im on this dam gomad diet atm, making me go all silly and messed up :rofl: - i prob cant talk tho coz i cant hit those numbers since i broke my forearm in half and got plates n screws put in 8 months ago or there abouts, was going to run starting strength up until my next comp, but my arm couldnt handle the fast weight increase's and was giving me hell, So i jumped on HST and man ive been seeing some really good results (very surprised tbh), and the mixture of rep ranges isnt as taxing on my arm... MAN!! shouldnt have said all this OP will read and be like DAMMMM im switching he said hes getting sweet results..... lmao

OP ignore this post!!!! hahaha

I'm just saying, it de-values your hard work if you give the information away for free to anyone that asks. Especially when they themselves are actually capable of doing the work and research to find out the answers to their questions. Its almost like cheating, or like your giving away the answers to a test before he takes it. That is just my opinion though. I'm not sure others feel the same way.

Say you went to school for years and years to be a mechanic. What if a guy called up your shop and asked you how to change his fuel filter?. He isn't gonna pay you for this information and refuses to just bring his car into the shop. Instead he wants you to explain to him how he can do it himself therefore de-valuing your education and the hard work and time you put into learning your trade.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I'm just saying, it de-values your hard work if you give the information away for free to anyone that asks. Especially when they themselves are actually capable of doing the work and research to find out the answers to their questions. Its almost like cheating, or like your giving away the answers to a test before he takes it. That is just my opinion though. I'm not sure others feel the same way.

Say you went to school for years and years to be a mechanic. What if a guy called up your shop and asked you how to change his fuel filter?. He isn't gonna pay you for this information and refuses to just bring his car into the shop. Instead he wants you to explain to him how he can do it himself therefore de-valuing your education and the hard work and time you put into learning your trade.
Yea man thats it!! I know exactly what you mean. Thats what happens as a trainer.... you know how many questions you get from people you meet that find out what your job is! They try to suck every bit of possible info out of ya haha.

A nice change the other day though was i went out to lunch with the wife and some of her friends no one pushed me for info because the partner of one of her friends found out what i do as work and then proceeded to tell me how his been to like every gym in Australia and none of them cater to people wanting to get big hahahaha, and for around 3HOURS!! told how everybody needs to train and how to do it bla bla bla, The best part was all this info coming from a guy who smokes week and cigges drinks 24/7 and ways a buck 50.... i just tuned out, nodded away and pretended to agree haha, it was a long lunch!!!!!!

Have to go to wifes work function thing tonight for abit and he'll be there no doubt (Dear God!) but im bringing the kids so ill avoid talking to him by being distracted by my children lol

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea man thats it!! I know exactly what you mean. Thats what happens as a trainer.... you know how many questions you get from people you meet that find out what your job is! They try to suck every bit of possible info out of ya haha.

A nice change the other day though was i went out to lunch with the wife and some of her friends no one pushed me for info because the partner of one of her friends found out what i do as work and then proceeded to tell me how his been to like every gym in Australia and none of them cater to people wanting to get big hahahaha, and for around 3HOURS!! told how everybody needs to train and how to do it bla bla bla, The best part was all this info coming from a guy who smokes week and cigges drinks 24/7 and ways a buck 50.... i just tuned out, nodded away and pretended to agree haha, it was a long lunch!!!!!!

Have to go to wifes work function thing tonight for abit and he'll be there no doubt (Dear God!) but im bringing the kids so ill avoid talking to him by being distracted by my children lol

Yeah it is kinda funny when how when people find out what you do or what you are interested in then all of a sudden they become an expert on that subject!. Its just like here in America when it is St. Patricks day, all of a sudden everyone is Irish. The rest of the year you never hear them say anything about their "heritage" but when St. Patricks day roles along all of a sudden everyone you know is a full blooded Irishman!

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it is kinda funny when how when people find out what you do or what you are interested in then all of a sudden they become an expert on that subject!. Its just like here in America when it is St. Patricks day, all of a sudden everyone is Irish. The rest of the year you never hear them say anything about their "heritage" but when St. Patricks day roles along all of a sudden everyone you know is a full blooded Irishman!
hahahahahaha SO TRUE!!!!