4x8 vs 8x8

lemon

Awards
Hey guys, just looking for opinions here, between 4x8 (4 sets of 8 reps) vs 8x8 (8 sets and 8 reps) ...which one is considered more beneficial

The 4x8 has less work outs but higher weights used

And the 8x8 has more sets per body part but the weight isn't nearly as high

I tried the 5x5, the 2x8 and the pyramid method of 10/8/6...but none of them are giving me the results I'd like to achieve and these being more set oriented and speed (short rest between sets) I'd feel like I'd get to where I'd like to be more effectively

What do you guys think?

Vote4pedro

Vote4pedro

Awards
1-. Wrong thread
2-. I'm a 5x5 junkie lol
3-. Whatever works for u. That's the magic of all this crap hahaha what works for u may not work for the rest ... Like I said in a 5x5 junkie an its done wonders for me so for me the rest is somewhat obsolete sorry man

lemon

Awards
sorry :p both 4x8 and 8x8 are ment to induce muscle growth, figured bulking was the right section

and i enjoyed the 5x5, but i never felt like i left the gym with a legit workout, i was doing my max for each set...but i still left feeling like i didn't accomplish much, my strength did improve...just nothing cosmetic/physically, which is some what demotivating

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
why 8x8?? what program are you running?? increase intensity or add more volume if you feel unsatisfied!! Also whats your lifts look like?? If your hammering a full body 5x5 and didn't leave the gym feeling satisfied makes me think you were lifting well below your capabilities i know when i did the fullbodies i was god dam thankful when they were finished as the spew bucket looked very tempting from time to time.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just finished 3 weeks of 8x8- didn't gain a pound eating well over maint. LoSt size and strength. It's too high volume and low weight to make gains. It's like doing Cardio with weights. It's very fast paced no rest and u csnt go
Heavy an only hit each muscle once a week... Doubt I will do it ever again.

5x5 and 10 8 6 15 make me grow as well as 20 20 6 6...

6x6 may be good for u if u were considering 8x8. But 8x8 will not Make u grow- it's what Gironda used to cut up.

lemon

Awards
It was the gironda training I was going to follow like mentioned above

My 5x5 was the sl5x5 but I added in 2 additional work outs per muscle groups for 2x8 depending upon what was hit each workout...and I was at my limit each workout, literally if I added an additional 2.5's to each side, I would no longer be able to achieve a full 5x5

Opinions on 4x8?

My goals are to increase muscle size and loose bf %'s...not so much increase strength being a main concern

lemon

Awards
Oh and I also do twice a week a 2x8 of an rdl,clean,squat, press combo

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4x8 is pretty plain Jane.. For body fat reduction via WEIGHT TRAINING, you will need some sort of aerobic factor involved, ie: supersetting, drop setting, x reps, or reducing rest times to 30-40 seconds...

If you're dead set on 4x8 I would say superset opposing muscles like chest/back bis/tris etc

Or u could do 8 rest 30 8 rest 30 8 deposed no rest 8

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of u want I'll email u a full body 4 day a week workout I did back in the fall. I got super lean, and was able to widen my back nd shoulders while growing my arms and dropping bf. I did do a fair amount of cardio as well as AB work.

Vote4pedro

Vote4pedro

Awards
Of u want I'll email u a full body 4 day a week workout I did back in the fall. I got super lean, and was able to widen my back nd shoulders while growing my arms and dropping bf. I did do a fair amount of cardio as well as AB work.
Hey Cheda, hook it up too lol I wouldn't mind taking a look at it

jcatanese985

jcatanese985

Awards
  • Established

lemon

Awards
hey, got a question about it ( and i might sound like a total newb asking this )

say for example the "shrug and upright"
would i do 10 shrug 10 upright, then 8 shrug 8 upright, 6 shrug 6 upright, 15 shrug 15 upright
or
would i do 10 shrug 8 upright, then 6 shrug 15 upright?

know what i'm trying to ask?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hey, got a question about it ( and i might sound like a total newb asking this )

say for example the "shrug and upright"
would i do 10 shrug 10 upright, then 8 shrug 8 upright, 6 shrug 6 upright, 15 shrug 15 upright
or
would i do 10 shrug 8 upright, then 6 shrug 15 upright?

know what i'm trying to ask?
Yes. That still a regular super set. So 10 of first exercise followed by 10 of second. Rest 1 minute.

The10 8 6 15 protocol is-

Your 6 rep max for example 100 pounds.

10 reps of 50%= 50lbs
8 reps 75%= 75
6 reps 100%= 100
15 reps at 35%= 35 pounds

Once u get every rep in this sequence, increase weight by 5-10 poounds. Try for 10, it'll be easier than u think. U may Not getthe 6 but you will get the 10 and 8 and within a week or two more you will have increased your 6 rep max by 10lbs!

lemon

Awards
alright, so its 4 sets of 2 exercises, was a bit confused, but i got it now

seems like a solid work out, very much appreciated for it

sae2110

sae2110

Awards
Hey ched i'd love to take a look at it too man

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
why not just alternate weekely or monthly?

I usually pick a number around 30ish and divide it to get different rep ranges and change weekly
2x15/ 3x10/ 4x8/ 5x6 etc

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
why not just alternate weekely or monthly?

I usually pick a number around 30ish and divide it to get different rep ranges and change weekly
2x15/ 3x10/ 4x8/ 5x6 etc
Thats a great method for size and strength actually.. Forgot about the 30 rep method. Don't u pick a 6 rep max. Then do as many sets as needed to get 30...? What's the rest time ?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Thats a great method for size and strength actually.. Forgot about the 30 rep method. Don't u pick a 6 rep max. Then do as many sets as needed to get 30...? What's the rest time ?
yeah works pretty slick for me and my friend, we been doing it for a while :)

i try to keep the rests like 90secs, just enough to catch my breathe sometimes longer or shorter. if i stall at say DB BP on a flat bench, ill switch it all to incline than and so on and so forth. never doing the same thing

sae2110

sae2110

Awards
Pm your email. It gets messed up when I copy paste on am mobile message
Will do once i figure out how my post count got reset to zero and now im blocked from PMing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 9
R1balla Training Forum 2
Training Forum 4
schizm Training Forum 16
AnthonyIOSOS Training Forum 10