1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%

BULKING IS BAD? Good Article!

T NATION | Truth About Bulking

Just read it before you respond. Let me know your guys opinion on this!

Kind of made me rethink my approach, but maybe I shouldnt? He has some, what seem like "good points" and it does make sense!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I read it all! and totally agree with all of it, cept the cookies part. nothing wrong with chocolate chip cookies!! :-P

more calories to bulk up? yes and moreprotein. butnot eating **** food every day.
    gaining a few pounds of fatover a bulking session (3-4months) is fine.if your balloning up and think its all muscle of those 30lbs you gains in 3months thats bs lol

anywaynice read
    LG Sciences Board Rep
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by LG Sciences, LLC.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Blergs View Post
    I read it all! and totally agree with all of it, cept the cookies part. nothing wrong with chocolate chip cookies!! :-P

more calories to bulk up? yes and moreprotein. butnot eating **** food every day.
    gaining a few pounds of fatover a bulking session (3-4months) is fine.if your balloning up and think its all muscle of those 30lbs you gains in 3months thats bs lol

anywaynice read
    Ha, well what I took from it is, eating a bit above maintanence may be ok, but the stereotype of eating 500-1000 above is just plain silly/useless?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.64%

I hate it when people tell a newb to eat everything in sight. I once saw pics of an endomorph newb who dirty bulked for 2 years :O...
    It was so sad, he was working hard, but because of bad advice he actually got farther away from his goal than when he started.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.18%

Quote Originally Posted by nonidentity View Post
    I hate it when people tell a newb to eat everything in sight. I once saw pics of an endomorph newb who dirty bulked for 2 years :O...
    It was so sad, he was working hard, but because of bad advice he actually got farther away from his goal than when he started.
    Ha, I bet he was "BIG" tho...

Dam, now when I get off cycle, I am not sure what my diet will look like!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.64%

yea... he was big
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.67%

basic knowledge pretty much.not a bad read but it seems preachy at times.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.48%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by nonidentity
    I hate that too but I don't have sympathy for someone who is lazy enough to just let everyone tell him what to do and not have any knowledge/research on the subject. When guys get fat like that on a bulk they have nobody but themselves to blame.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

I believe this is what ppl call lean bulking?
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.61%

This article makes perfect sense, In fact; this is what I was taught... Your body is like a plant you can give it as much sunlight and water as you like but there is only a certain rate it can grow. After it hits this rate it can't exceed unless you add miracle grow (Drugs). haha
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

i agree to an extent. if a dude can afford internet, he can afford a mirror. he knows he is getting fat. stop eating. that simple. people are just dumb
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.78%

that being said, good read. reps
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.61%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    i agree to an extent. if a dude can afford internet, he can afford a mirror. he knows he is getting fat. stop eating. that simple. people are just dumb
    HAHAHAHAHA no sugar coating there!
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.54%

Basic 101 nutrition approach for a natural trainee. For the enhanced athlete everything changes, and the more hormones in the blood the more you can use these crazy "bulking" practices without as much damage afterwards.....BUT regardless enhanced or natural, you should be NOT LAZY and abide by smart and healthy protocols. When GAINING (I hate bulking term) Overload above maintenance for 3-4-5 weeks or so...maybe more...depends...then "mini-diet" for 3-4-5 weeks or so....signaling metabolism, insulin , leptin, ghrelin etc etc.....problem is most people are friggin L A Z Y....make excused for looking like piles of lard.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    Haha agreed! I rarely count my cals.. if my scale is moving up day by day, i need to cut back. I shoot for 1lb gain every 14ish days for me to be comfortable with it.

Mike
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.18%

I've made a promise to my self to never get too heavy again. I've been cutting for 4+ months, so far gone from 225 to 182 and I still have 5-7 more lbs to go.
    At one point I thought I was putting on a good amount of muscle and then i thought i was just a bigger guy and inly had to loose 10-15 to look good. then one day there was this fat guy staring back at me from the mirror, it's astonishing how much fat the body can pack away and hide from us until bam, you're fat!
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Good article.

You could go further and discuss the negative hormonal effects of carrying excess body fat as well: increased resistin, decreased adiponectin, increased inflammation, etc. As well as the negative effects of eating crap calories (inflammatory response).

My biggest suggestion is to make sure to eat A LOT of green vegetables.

1. For that alkaline properties (well discussed by Berardi: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm)

2. Because high protein diets (without adequate vegetable consumption) increase homocysteine levels, which increase adipogenesis (fat storage), reduce insulin sensitivity and inhibit insulin/growth factor mediated protein synthesis. Which I will be covering in some great detail in a few weeks time.

Br
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Good article.

You could go further and discuss the negative hormonal effects of carrying excess body fat as well: increased resistin, decreased adiponectin, increased inflammation, etc. As well as the negative effects of eating crap calories (inflammatory response).

My biggest suggestion is to make sure to eat A LOT of green vegetables.

1. For that alkaline properties (well discussed by Berardi: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm)

2. Because high protein diets (without adequate vegetable consumption) increase homocysteine levels, which increase adipogenesis (fat storage), reduce insulin sensitivity and inhibit insulin/growth factor mediated protein synthesis. Which I will be covering in some great detail in a few weeks time.

Br
    What would you consider A LOT of green veggies?
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.76%

Good question.

I would say try to eat a large serving (3-5 oz) with each protein feeding. Go for dark greens, such as spinach, collard greens, broccoli rabe, chard, etc.

Br
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.13%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Basically eating the same good foods you do when your maintaing your weight add few 100 cals of the same good foods to each meal and your putting on more muscle correct? I mean Sometimes i guess it is alright to have your cheat meal and over do it but still stick with the same good nutritous foods. Well not exact science for anyone to follow and I have not done much research but it seems to be a no brainer.
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.66%

Great read, really got me rethinking things...
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Good question.

I would say try to eat a large serving (3-5 oz) with each protein feeding. Go for dark greens, such as spinach, collard greens, broccoli rabe, chard, etc.

Br
    thanks, i east about a pound of broccoli a day, but ill be sure to add more spinach and the such in there.
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.54%

Bulking up is completely retarded for most people. Unless you are chemically enhanced with gh, and aas and thermos etc...."dirty bulking" is absurd, and is regardless of hormonal environment.

Proper over eating and under eating periods are nice for accomplishing muscle accrual without effing up blood work too much, and screwing up your digestion etc
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29%

I agree. I feel sorry for him. But I think it's also his fault. 2 years is a very long time to be fooled.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help Bulking is not going good at all!!!!!
    By Machwon1 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
  2. good pct article in new MD
    By Liftingstud in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
  3. ZMA good for bulking?
    By njsfinest in forum Bulking
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 06:32 PM
  4. Always bulking good or bad?