Skinny Arms

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
Lots of great responses to my previous questions...thanks to everyone

Question:
I am currently losing weight to drop body fat % before gaining muscle.
Current: Age 35, 5'9", about 175, ~23-25% body fat

I feel like my arms are particularly skinny.
Assuming after I get my body fat (belly fat) down in next 3 or so months, how long would it be reasonable to expect some good gains in muscle in arms, if lifting right, eating plenty of protein, etc...?

Thanks

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
how you store your fat also depends on the proportionality. When I'm 'fat' I have very proportionally small arms. When I diet down my arms are almost out of proportion large. I store ALL my fat in my torso. You might not feel like your arms are so skinny after you diet.

What types of gains are you talking about? If you have never beaten the hell out of your arms before, they will respond better than if you have been for years.

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
Well, currently weigh about 175. I estimated for reasonable body fat, I need to get down to 162-165.
Then, I want to pack on some muscle. Type of gains? Nothing crazy at all. If I maintained a body fat of about ~17% and weighed 175, I would probably be quite happy. I guess my goal is to recompose my body. I like current body weight, but need to lose the belly fat and build up chest and arms.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
if you want a muscle to grow bigger...more food+heavier weights every work out= happiness...keep the weight higher and the reps a lil lower (7-8).

alewisdvm

Awards
Thank you.
I keep focusing on wanting to do 10 reps, but I know I can do more weight if I drop the rep count a bit.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
honestly, my biggest growth in arms (and my whole body) is when i started DC training. i lift them heavy but not alot of sets and give them rest. do compound lifts like pull ups, BB curl, Preacher, Reverse Grip Bench, Dips. dont do any tricep kickback crap.

alewisdvm

Awards
Okay.
So far, I have been doing:
1. Alternating dumbbell curls
2. BB curls
3. Hammer curls
4. Tricep pushdowns
5. tricep extension (I seem to be able to really get a good burn and isolate the traps using the machine, although I know a lot don't recommend it)
6. If not exhausted on triceps since I do chest first, i'll also do some machine assisted dips

Can't do pullups. 5 shoulder dislocations. It's been surgical stabilized but don't like to risk overextending IN ADDITION TO arms above head.

For shoulders I have been doing lateral raises, front raises, and bent over raises.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do reverse grip bench, skull crusher, close grip bench for triceps

GetJakked

GetJakked

Awards
to get better arms with good bicep/tricep/deltoid workouts try no-explode or another nitric oxide...

jbotelho6791

jbotelho6791

Awards
to get better arms with good bicep/tricep/deltoid workouts try no-explode or another nitric oxide...
sir, that is terrible advice.. nor had anything to do with getting bigger arms.. pump yes, bigger arms? no. :gives:

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
I think it's a good idea you're focusing on losing weight before trying to make your arms bigger. Either way, it's gonna take some time. It's definitely possible to get bigger arms while losing body fat but it's not easy at all, especially if you're still learning and starting out.

A few years ago I got out of the Navy and I was in the worst shape of my life, all I did was get wasted and eat garbage 24/7. So my initial goal was to lose weight and get in shape, I had no interest in getting big. I went from 215 back down to 170. After I lost a bunch of fat then I started getting interested in getting bigger. It didn't take long before my arms exploded. A little less than a year of training with regular supps, no ph's or anything and I couldn't wear most of my shirts anymore.

You have to have reasonable expectations. Just stick to the plan and the gains will come. Never let up.

alewisdvm

Awards
Great posts and information from everyone.
I do intend to focus on weight loss first. So far, working well simply counting calories with the myfitnesspal program, and trying to do some type of exercise daily. Even an extra 30 minutes on the elliptical, in addition to, no more soda or fast food, is helping me to easily meet a calorie deficit of 500 a day. In addition, I am trying to exceed that calorie deficit to make room for an extra ON Gold Whey shake or two to keep protein level up.

As a starter, I have discovered the only advice worth following is the advice you know you can stick to...

I am trying to stick with simple supplements, and not interested getting into those big boost products like no-explode. I am actually getting just enough, without messing myself up from using ON amino energy.
I am also complementing with Kre-alkalyn, 1 cap on days off, and 1 cap before and after work-out days.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Great posts and information from everyone.
I do intend to focus on weight loss first. So far, working well simply counting calories with the myfitnesspal program, and trying to do some type of exercise daily. Even an extra 30 minutes on the elliptical, in addition to, no more soda or fast food, is helping me to easily meet a calorie deficit of 500 a day. In addition, I am trying to exceed that calorie deficit to make room for an extra ON Gold Whey shake or two to keep protein level up.

As a starter, I have discovered the only advice worth following is the advice you know you can stick to...

I am trying to stick with simple supplements, and not interested getting into those big boost products like no-explode. I am actually getting just enough, without messing myself up from using ON amino energy.
I am also complementing with Kre-alkalyn, 1 cap on days off, and 1 cap before and after work-out days.
Sounds like you're off to a good start! Save pre-workouts for when you switch to mass gaining. That way it'll be something entirely new to your body and you can take advantage of that and move some weight!

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Most arm size is triceps rather than biceps. Do heavy curls (barbell, dumbell,&cable) at high intensity with no more than 90 seconds of rest between sets. You could superset the curls with tricep cable pushdowns and skull crushers also with heavy weight. To get a good pump, use the final set (I would do 4 or 5) to burn-out. On the final set, use only about 60% of your heavy workout weight and go until complete muscle failure. Eat a lot of protein and that should build your arms pretty quickly. Just make sure that your arms have a super pump at the end of every training session.

The more muscle mass that you build will help to incenerate any fat and speed up the process!!

alewisdvm

Awards
Question about the protein intake.
I am trying to be a bit careful counting calories, because I really want to make sure I keep my 500 calorie deficit per day until I reach my goal body weight.
That being said, to get 170 grams of protein is difficult, because I really am not trying to exceedingly lower carbs and fat.

So, if still looking to build some muscle (or at least maintain) while dieting, what would be the minimum protein intake for a body weight of 172?

rynie27

Awards
I would be trying for maybe even more protein, maybe 1.5x your bodyweight. That being said i understand you need carbs to grow but I would lower either carbs or fat slightly and bring up that protein. Adjust your macros around a bit and you will see what works for you.

alewisdvm

Awards
Understood.
just have a hard time with calorie requirements to keep up the deficit.
According to my stats and assuming a sedentary life style (to make the calorie requirement more difficult whether sedentary or not) I can't have much more than 1650 calories a day.
So, I try to workout daily, which buys me maybe another 300 calories.

That being said, can anyway provide some good examples of breakfasts's lunches dinners that are higher protein, lower fat, and low carb?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
....and stop doing those tricep accessory lifts. you will benefit more from compound lifts for tri's

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Question about the protein intake.
I am trying to be a bit careful counting calories, because I really want to make sure I keep my 500 calorie deficit per day until I reach my goal body weight.
That being said, to get 170 grams of protein is difficult, because I really am not trying to exceedingly lower carbs and fat.

So, if still looking to build some muscle (or at least maintain) while dieting, what would be the minimum protein intake for a body weight of 172?
If your dieting, protein needs to be highest. I would be in the 250 gram range for your weight.

I agree with R1 on the dc and arm growth. Get rid of all that isolated crap and go heavy on compound lifts

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'd say for better arms do more compound exercises...

More dips especially, since they are absolutely the best IMO for Triceps growth.

Close grip Pullups as well.

Focus a lot on your triceps since they are the bulk of your arm.

alewisdvm

Awards
Got it.
Any suggestions on diet and keeping protein highest with mild-to-med carb and fat.

Definitely will focus more on compound exercises. I know I need to add dips.

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Compound movements are awesome for size/strength......Strenght plays a huge part in building up. I don't see any bodybuilders or NFL players working out light!!

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I'd say for better arms do more compound exercises...

More dips especially, since they are absolutely the best IMO for Triceps growth.

Close grip Pullups as well.

Focus a lot on your triceps since they are the bulk of your arm.
THIS!

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
1600 calories seem way to low to me...u have to feed your body enough calories so it can work at an optimal level. I would start at maybe 2200-2500 especially if your working out alot .

alewisdvm

Awards
Yes, 2200 roughly is what I need to eat to maintain body weight. But, I was told by quite a few people that it may be better for me to burn a bit of the abdominal fat, and fat in general, before trying to bulk.

So, you can see my confusion. I am wanting to get a little more abdomial definition, but I do want to eventually build arms and legs.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I would guess u would need about 3000 with all the working out u do to maintain

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Let's get an answer for this question by some knowledge heads....

Let's say a person is skinny fat, pudgy, chubby what ever, should he be eating in excess to gain muscle or cutting back cals?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
depends. is it summer or winter? simple if you ask me. if its winter, clean bulk with SOME cardio in there. if its spring/summer, cut but stay with compound movements in the gym just change diet, high BCAA intake and more cardio

OP, pull ups will explode your arms. try to aim around 10 rep area. if that means they are weighted pull ups, then do so