Can't get enough protein

TangoCharlie

Awards
Hey guys, doing a clean bulk now and can't seem to get in enough protein without a lot of shakes. I can get almost 2x body weight if I eat way over 250 cals but wouldn't that be a bit too much of a surplus for a clean bulk? Also is 2x body weight truly the answer or is 1-1.5x good enough?

I eat clean, white meats, good fats and carbs, supps, tons of water

5-11
12%
Goal: Mass/Strength

dannyn2007

Awards
250 surlpus for a bulk is noting, even for a clean bulk. some poeple even go between 500-1000 for a bulk depending on your metabolism. as long as you are in a surlpus of calories you will gain.

general rule of thumb for protein is 1-1.5g of protein per a pound of body weight. depending on your diet, i would up my protein to 2g per a pound of bodyweight if i was going on a "lower carb" diet. If I was on a "higher carb" diet, 1-1.5g of protein should be plenty.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
angus burger patties have about 25 g of protein in each....something to add

TangoCharlie

Awards
Well when clean bulking what would be the major difference in low carb vs high carb?

dannyn2007

Awards
low carb vs high carb for bulking? High carbs is usually best for bulking. But everyone is different, some people can still gain mass having a low carb diet. some people carb cycle. it all depends on how your body. I gain clean mass while bulking with high carb and moderate protein while some people put on fat a lot easier on a higher carb diet. just play around with the ratios and see what works best for u

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I believe current ACSM recommendations for protein intake in active individuals is roughly between 1.5 - 1.8 g/kg. Unless you are anabolic steroids, you are consuming too much protein.

senjuriko

senjuriko

Awards
If you want to Gain size and remain lean you'll for starters you need to have the right diet. I would make sure you eat small-medium sized meals every 2 - 2.5 hours. Each meal should contain a lean, high quality protein source (25-50 grams, depending on your body weight), a clean, low glycemic, complex carbohydrate source (approx. 50 grams), and a green fibrous vegetable. This is the time to write which foods you eat in your journal to see how your body reacts to them. Remember you need to learn what works for you to really start tapping in to your potential.

TRAINING

As far as training goes, overload that muscle with progressively heavier and heavier weights. Give that muscle a new stimulus to adapt to by growing. Try not to be in the gym for any longer than 1 hour and 15 minutes. I would even strive to get an intense weight training session in as little as 45 minutes. If you find you are going over that mark try doing less sets but going full intensity for each one... 6-8 reps have worked well for me in the past. Again your body may be different so try 3-6, 4-8, 8-12, until you find what is working best for your body

Use The Mirror!

Yes, this is another must. DO not get on the scale to help determine if you are gaining muscle. Use the mirror. If you see you are getting a little smooth, you must adjust your cardio and diet accordingly until your physique reaches the leanness you desire. Vice versa if you feel weak and lethargic, boost you calories slightly, by about 100 a week, until you tighten and fill out. Do not remove the cardio; just eat more clean food.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe current ACSM recommendations for protein intake in active individuals is roughly between 1.5 - 1.8 g/kg. Unless you are anabolic steroids, you are consuming too much protein.
If you want to Gain size and remain lean you'll for starters you need to have the right diet. I would make sure you eat small-medium sized meals every 2 - 2.5 hours. Each meal should contain a lean, high quality protein source (25-50 grams, depending on your body weight), a clean, low glycemic, complex carbohydrate source (approx. 50 grams), and a green fibrous vegetable.
Whats funny is other than the general part about clean low glycemic carbs + vegetables, the second post has no scientific backing, and the first post does, yet I can gues what most people would listen to.

A pound of muscle is made up of 160g of protein give or take. True maintenance is at your size around 120-140g of protein a day. if you eat 200g a day thats still a 60g surplus which is enough to build a pound of muscle every 3 days, which you aren't doing if you aren't on anabolics. Overall calorie surplus matters far more than protein level.

The main reasons for the dumb broscience recommendations of high protein? More is better, and eating meats makes you look tougher than eating potatoes and nuts.

TangoCharlie

Awards
Broscience, that's funny. So if someone was on anabolics protein needs to be higher to make sure all the muscles are repairing since they would be worked much harder?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree, Easy. Nothing says "man" more than a mouth full of nuts.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Broscience, that's funny. So if someone was on anabolics protein needs to be higher to make sure all the muscles are repairing since they would be worked much harder?
No. Increased phosphorylated Akt, GSK-3B and mTOR signaling protein synthesis and undifferentiated cell proliferation. Phosphorylated Akt (protein kinase B) inhibits FoxO transcription mediated pathways. Protein synthesis is hormone, substrate, and stress driven response. Even on anabolic steroids, if diet is not sufficient hypertrophy is hindered.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and that since overall protein synthesis rates are higher, you can synthesize more muscle tissue per week. Without anabolics something in the range of 1/4lb a week of muscle is reasonable (after the newbie period). That can end up as more than 1/2lb scale weight once you add in retained water, etc. On a certain level of anabolics you can maybe push that out to 1.5~2lbs a week so you'd need more excess protein to be able to synthesize that much new mass

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
You could try picking up some of NTBM's better bars. They are super cheap and have a big chunk of calories. They are all natural too. Needto139 get's you 15% off and free shipping.

mdpwrlifter

Awards
You can bulk carb free. It's all about how your body responds.