Some thing has to be wrong

L

Layddually

Awards
Ok I am try to add a few pounds before summer. I am 5'11" 200lbs. I have been on a diet of 3500-4000 calories, around 300 carb, 300-350 protein, 75-150 fat. I try to eat clean whole grains, chicken breast, steamed veggies, protein shakes, and bars.

I have 3 lo carb shakes a day and one high carb shake after work out.
I do not do cardio but I have been slowly loosing fat. Could I be over training or do I need even more calories?

I jumped up in weight by 10 pounds and looked fuller than I ever have but 2 weeks later same training and diet I dropped 20 lbs.

Last edited:
Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
If you're not gaining weight, then you're not eating enough... Just upp the food with another 500kCals, if you still don't gain any weight after that... Well, then you're not eating enough yet either :)

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Muscle burns cals buddy so the weight was most likely muscle try uping cals. by 200 for a week and see what happens.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
you've lost 20lbs in 2 weeks? somethings going on. that's a remarkable weight loss for "not trying". you sick?
track your intake on fitday.com you may be grossly overestimating your calories.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
I run a similar macronutrient diet and I can cut on 4k cals. Its almost unbelievable to me, but it happens everytime. A couple questions though - How much cardio? How long are you in the gym?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
What does your diet actually look like? I'm a macro counter myself not a calorie counter, but lets get some ideas here.

L

Layddually

Awards
Wheybolic 60 shake
6 eggs, 2 whole grain toast, sugar free strawberry jelly, glass of oj
Wheybolic 60 shake
Gym
Xxx mass amplified shake
Salad with Italian dressing, chicken breast
Supreme 30 bar
Steamed veggies, chicken breast/ or baked sweet potato plain with 16+ oz steak
Wheybolic 60 shake

L

Layddually

Awards
Maybe my scale is defective. But like I said I was feeling fuller now not so much. I spend from 1-2 hrs in gym depends on what day it is. No cardio. I do have a physical job though.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Wheybolic 60 shake
Wheybolic 60 shake
Gym
Xxx mass amplified shake
Supreme 30 bar
Wheybolic 60 shake
I'll go over this in morning sleep noe

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're not gaining weight, then you're not eating enough... Just upp the food with another 500kCals, if you still don't gain any weight after that... Well, then you're not eating enough yet either :)
:goodpost:

L

Layddually

Awards
Is there a protein shake out there that doesn't make you bloat? It would be easier to eat more if I wasn't so bloated all day. I'm not sure how long my wife can handle the gas.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Is there a protein shake out there that doesn't make you bloat? It would be easier to eat more if I wasn't so bloated all day. I'm not sure how long my wife can handle the gas.
You can always eat some Quark instead.. Doesn't make me feel bloated..

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Wheybolic 60 shake
Wheybolic 60 shake
Gym
Xxx mass amplified shake
Supreme 30 bar
Wheybolic 60 shake
This is just all over the place. First I would rather cycle my carbs than do a straight out bulk diet. I feel it works better as does my coach. probably 4 high days and 3 low days for someone who is not gaining muscle. 4 high days of carbs, 3 low days of carbs (training days high obviously)

I would be taking in more real food. Beef, chicken, shrimp (yes shrimp), buffalo, turkey, eggs etc. Just works better do the nutrients shakes do not have and things we haven't figured out how to duplicate. I see your taking in chicken but no weight. Remember on teh high days you can take in less protein the body will use it better.

Bars are most cases not soemthing I am a fan of unless I am totally SOL on a meal. I think you can do much better without them but are a quick get me a meal thing. There are ways to make good post workout bars though.

I would work on your workout nutrition and timing, as my coach has taught me timing is more than we believe it hence why we have made more strides in my physique and training faster than I did alone.

I like the veggies awesome. I love veggies and think there great.

Take the carbs closer to morning and post workout. Carbs I would recommend: Potatoes, rice, oatmeal, cream of rice, quinoa (spelling) Waxy maize or rice solids around workout.

Bovine serum protein and BCAA around workout FTW.

These are a combination of things I believe plus learned from my coach.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Jeeze am I the only human on the planet that doesn't fart from protein shakes?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I don't but I only use a good quality isolate

L

Layddually

Awards
I guess I was worried about nothing I strolled through walmart this morning and jumped on a scale there and it showed 198. I think my scale is bad it showed 179. I started this adventure at 190 six weeks later was 200 then 2 more weeks went by and 179(WTF).But I will take your advice on switching up my diet a bit and see how it works.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
That to lol. But I don't count cals I count macros so wouldn't know
if somebody doesnt faithfully track their intake and actually KNOW what they're getting, they will not reach their goals. you tune toward macros, i tune for cals, but by logging everything fitday gives you both...info to use as you will.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
if somebody doesnt faithfully track their intake and actually KNOW what they're getting, they will not reach their goals. you tune toward macros, i tune for cals, but by logging everything fitday gives you both...info to use as you will.
Both work if you're smart about it. Shelby Starnes counts macros as does everyone at tronopin

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Counting calories and counting macros are very similar, both are ways to control your intake. Weather you set goals for say carb or protein intake or set goals for calorie intake, in both cases you are monitoring the food you eat and aiming for a certain amount

Weight loss and weight gain is simply calories in vs calories out. Body composition however will be determined on the ratio of your macros and timing of nutrients IMO

C

Chico222

Awards
If you are bulking, it might be a good idea to take some digestive enzymes prior to every meal. If you fart or burp a lot after eating, it is usually a sign of lack of digestion. Enzymes will defenitely help with burping and farting, trust me, I had the same problem.

As far as ganing weight, never mind that. I would suggest using measurements as a sign of success. Its not foolproof, but if you gain an inch on your arms, you know you are headed in the right direction, whether the scale moves or not. I use macros instead of calories, and measurements instead of weight.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
If you are bulking, it might be a good idea to take some digestive enzymes prior to every meal. If you fart or burp a lot after eating, it is usually a sign of lack of digestion. Enzymes will defenitely help with burping and farting, trust me, I had the same problem.

As far as ganing weight, never mind that. I would suggest using measurements as a sign of success. Its not foolproof, but if you gain an inch on your arms, you know you are headed in the right direction, whether the scale moves or not. I use macros instead of calories, and measurements instead of weight.
great post! I agree on the enzymes and if the poster was recently on antibiotics they should introduce some yogurt to replenish the good bacteria. I also agree results are seen through measurement or sometime simply looking in the mirror.

C

Chico222

Awards
great post! I agree on the enzymes and if the poster was recently on antibiotics they should introduce some yogurt to replenish the good bacteria. I also agree results are seen through measurement or sometime simply looking in the mirror.
Ah yes you're right, good 'ol yogurt. I use a couple of tablespoons in my post workout shake all the time!

L

Layddually

Awards
Right before bed I eat yogurt and a glass of fat free high protein milk.
Maybe I should add more yogurt in the middle of the day.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
Right before bed I eat yogurt and a glass of fat free high protein milk.
Maybe I should add more yogurt in the middle of the day.
the good thing about yogurt vs. milk product is that dairy products target the fat storage in the belly area as a rule. If you are looking to gain weight and hopefully not add to your mid-line Yogurt is a great alternative to gaining some quality protein as well as some healthy bacteria and not have it target the waist...there are studies out there that say3 cups a day will reduce the waistline as long as you cut out other dairy products like milk, ice cream, cheese, etc..for bed time I might suggest you try some low fat cottage cheese at bedtime for some slow digesting protein if your intent for eating the yogurt and drinking milk is to provide you some overnight support. If you don't like the taste of Cottage cheese (which I do not) my little trick is I throw a little splenda on mine (too cheap to buy stevia) which makes it much more palatable to me.. GL in your goals!