Best weight gainer?

A

atlirishfan

Awards
I am a 34 male 5'9 weighing 162. I am coming off a really bad year injury wise; in Nov '09 I broke my jaw and was wired shut until Jan '10. I worked out throughout despite being wired shut but, cut out cardio. After the wires were removed in Jan '10 I was down 10 139lbs. Finally able to eat regular food again I hit the gym harder and start pitching again which lead to shoulder in June of '10. I started working out with a strength coach in sept-nov, I went into Sept weighing 149 when I finished in Nov I was at 162 @12% and have been stuck there for the last 3 months. I want to put on about another 20lbs in the next few months (ideally I would like to be playing ball at 180 this season in April). I have gained strength back in my shoulder and maxed bench @185 today (yeah it’s not a huge amount compared to most of you guys but, 6 months after a major shoulder surgery I think it’s a big mark).

So the question is what Supplements/Weight Gainers would you suggest?

Currently I just use:
Noxplode pre work out Cell Mass Post workout
4 Shakes a day with EAS Whey Protein
Multivitamin from vitamin Shoppe

I was considering gear but, just not sure if I really want to go that route yet.

My diet on a typical day is as follows:

Pre breakfast: shake 8oz milk I scoop whey
Breakfast: 3 egg whites with ham/cheese 1 potato (hash browns) chocolate milk
10-am: whey shake (water) boiled egg or pbj
Lunch- subway sandwich (ft long) peanuts muscle milk
3pm- whey shake trail mix
Dinner- chicken breast black beans rice
8 pm whey shake PBJ
10 pm casein shake (10 oz milk)

Workout:
M- chest/bi (3 movements 4 sets @ 10 reps) (abs 3 movements 3 sets 10 reps)
T- 3.5 mile run 30 min abs
W- back/tris (3 movements 4 sets @10 reps)(abs 3 movements 3 sets 10 reps)
TH- 3.5 mile run 30 min abs
Fri- legs/shoulders (3 movements 4 sets@10 reps) (abs 3 movements 3 sets 10 reps)

B

berraco47

Awards
That's not alot of food for someone who is 5'10" you can start by bumping up those eggs to about 6 and Aldo count all your calories so you know how much you're really eating. You will definitely grow if you add calories. I'm 5'7" and I went from 152 to 183 in 5 months just by eating more.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best on the market weight gainer IMO is Iso Mass.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
You could clearly eat more. Eat until you cant eat anymore. Then forcefeed yourself. It is often uncomfortable, but worth it in the long run.

Also along with your pre bed shake have a cup of cottage cheese, mixed with a yogurt. Then down some whole milk.

Have you consdered adding a half gallon or gallon of whole milk into your normal diet?

N

nhinkley

Awards
Whole foods. Eat potatoes and good fats. None of that powdered sh!t can compare.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
But up your mass by MHP is the best gainer. IMO. However WHOLE FOOD meals is best. .

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Whey, oats, skim milk, a banana, and creatine. It's cheaper than buying a mass gainer, less sugar, and you can mix it to your needs.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Whole foods. Eat potatoes and good fats. None of that powdered sh!t can compare.
Well said...thats if your looking to gain muscle. But if you want to gain WEIGHT, nothing beats McDonalds or BK.

obvious

obvious

Awards
I'm going to put my .02 in for Mutant Mass, made by PVL/Mutant/Fit Foods up here in Vancouver.

Frickin' amazing, and hardly any sugar in it. Lots of maltodextrin though. LOTS

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
The best weight gainer is the one you make yourself. Pre-packaged and powdered weight gainers are a complete waste of money IMO. If convenience is the issue well then maybe they are something that might be right for you, but beyond that...make your own.

Cheers!:cheers:

-Sean-

Primordial Performance

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
A quality whey protein mixed in a blender with Flax oil, Peanut Butter, oats, and glutamine is good too. You can add fruit if you want. Its all good

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
weight... gainer. muscle juice will pack on the weight and yea some fat but weight it will be.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
look up ISO MASS. it has everything you need and more for a weight gainer.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Right on. They are both good. I also like ANIMAL, or Universals Real Gains. Its a good one too.

O

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Double shake and a mug of ice cream is better than any gainer

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The best weight gainer is the one you make yourself. Pre-packaged and powdered weight gainers are a complete waste of money IMO. If convenience is the issue well then maybe they are something that might be right for you, but beyond that...make your own.
Best advice... Buy ****loads of whey, and ****loads of dextrose/maltodextrin/waxy maize and mix it yourself.
No need to buy pre packaged crap.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to do the ones u make urself as well. it is good, but ISO MASS is better.

D

drudixon

Awards
best on the market weight gainer IMO is Iso Mass.
I went from 148lbs to 192 in 14 months with CytoGainer, candy bars, pizza etc. Tons was fat so I had to diet to get rid of it. Back up to 190, but it's much better body comp.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
iso mass is better and much different than cyto gainer.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has their own magic formula. If it works for you keep doing it. I dont want to get fat so I keep it moderately clean for now.

D

drudixon

Awards
iso mass is better and much different than cyto gainer.
Probably right. I'd change quite a few things about last year, like the exercise programs I used, what I ate, how much beer I drank etc. Cyto did what it said it would do, and then some. Tasted different. Luckily I don't need it any more and I'm gaining with just ON Whey.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I wish I was in a bit better shape since my last contest, but being in the navy on a ship makes it difficult. It was also nice to not be so disciplined for a bit. I just got work to do now. However, I have done it a few times already. I can do it again.

mikemd21289

mikemd21289

Awards
Workout:
M- chest/bi (3 movements 4 sets @ 10 reps) (abs 3 movements 3 sets 10 reps)
T- 3.5 mile run 30 min abs
W- back/tris (3 movements 4 sets @10 reps)(abs 3 movements 3 sets 10 reps)
TH- 3.5 mile run 30 min abs
Fri- legs/shoulders (3 movements 4 sets@10 reps) (abs 3 movements 3 sets 10 reps)
I would recommend stop running 7 miles a week if your looking to gain weight. That's alottt of cardio for someone looking to gain weight.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would just keep upping your carb and healthy fat intake till you do. You just have to eat enough. If you are losing weight, and not getting bigger you are not eating enough. If you are gaining either size or weight or both you are eating enough. Keep it up

S

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for conveince Myogenix Critical Mass + Waxymaize
otherwise mix your own protein whey, casein, waxymaize, ground oats, creatine and some glutamine. Store it in a ziploc or airtight container

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Good mix. Maybe some macadamia nut oil when you blend it up too for EFA.

S

sociable1231

Awards
Creatine, but I would suggest you eat more first, and get your nutrition from whole foods.

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
Blended oats!

I just wish they weren't so bloody expensive here.

D

diegone

Awards
WHEY Protein is only good IMO for post-workout (about 30mins-1hr after your workout) because it's fast absorbing.
I would recommend you TRUE MASS by BSN, best gainer I ever used, first time I gained 5-6lbs that month take it through the day really anytime doesn't matter, the only thing it's a little overpriced... but worth it.

And if you got some extra cash you should go with CASSEIN take it before bedtime, its slow-digesting protein, when you go to sleep once your body runs out of protein it will get your muscle mass and store it as fat cells, with cassein you prevent this from happening, during those 7-8 hours of sleep you take 50g's of cassein and your body will have plenty for the whole night, when you wake up you won't be as hungry but make sure you still eat like a monster.

It works for me! Hope it helps :D

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Check out Golden Gains:
* casein, hydrowhey, egg protein 20g
* oat flour carbs, fiber, WMS 41g
* fruits and veggies 5g
* flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, MCTs 5.5g
* GFH™ complex containing aminos and mierals

R

rynie27

Awards
I put on sone good weight with mutant mass! My favorite so far and it's cheap

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
WHEY Protein is only good IMO for post-workout (about 30mins-1hr after your workout) because it's fast absorbing.
I would recommend you TRUE MASS by BSN, best gainer I ever used, first time I gained 5-6lbs that month take it through the day really anytime doesn't matter, the only thing it's a little overpriced... but worth it.

And if you got some extra cash you should go with CASSEIN take it before bedtime, its slow-digesting protein, when you go to sleep once your body runs out of protein it will get your muscle mass and store it as fat cells, with cassein you prevent this from happening, during those 7-8 hours of sleep you take 50g's of cassein and your body will have plenty for the whole night, when you wake up you won't be as hungry but make sure you still eat like a monster.

It works for me! Hope it helps :D
None of that matters
Just buy some whey protein for cheap and make your own. Simple, cheap, clean, effective. Whey, casien, egg....IT DOES NOT MATTER

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
The ones I've tried and enjoyed:

- Dymatize Super Mass Gainer
- Nutrabolics IsoGainer
- Universal Real Gains
- Cytosport Monster Mass

A

altyy94

Awards
muscle juice 2 scoops after workout 2 scoops before bed

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
if you like to run, I wouldn't try to pack alot of mass on to fast. Your at the age where your knees will start to have problems.
You dont have to eat more, just more often. Your body will finish digestion in roughly 2 hours after a meal. Anything your body doesn't use it will expell as watse. If you take the same calories and split them into 5 or more smaller meals you'll see a difference. And dont overtrain!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't buy any premade weight gainer when you can just make shakes that are better tasting and cheaper.

3 cups whole milk
1.5 scoops protein blend (or just whey)
1 ripe banana
1 cup oats (grind to a powder using blender first)
(optional) peanut butter

Adjust ingredients how you see fit. This is they way I usually make it:

2 cups milk
1 scoop protein powder
1 banana
0.5 cups of oats

Usually drink at least two of those a day and that's close to 700 calories (1400 total).

Easy peasy

GetJakked

GetJakked

Awards
i say cut back on the whey and try some items from TEAM DYMATIZE such as MASS or EGG Protien. it will save you calories. and if you are using the MASS it has plenty of Protien. I think you need more Protien MASS. and when you work out. Try to do atleast an Hour a day. - 2 HRS.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I miss making shakes. I cant on the ship. No blender. I miss
Oats, PB, vanilla protein, milk, banana, some probiotic KEFIR liquid. Yummy, and good for you.

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
Whats so special about isomass? ..i am thinking of getting mutant mass cuz it has 1050 cals per serving and comes in 15lb quantities

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Get it. Be a mutant. what is the protein, fat, carb ratio?

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
Not sure.. Google tells me isomass has a great ratio..but idk which to choose