how to tell the difference between fat and water weight?

  1. New Member
    cvs766's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    36.7%

    how to tell the difference between fat and water weight?


    is there any way to tell? also, what about simple bloating vs. fat?
    my stomach protrudes an unnatural amount...when I flex, my abs are normal (and decent), but normally it sticks out like I weigh 300 lbs. I've heard this could be bloating, estrogen related, water weight, etc...

    There's definitely fat there, but it sucks because all the fat on my body is on my stomach

  2. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,163
    Rep Power
    310839
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    62.37%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by cvs766 View Post
    is there any way to tell? also, what about simple bloating vs. fat?
    my stomach protrudes an unnatural amount...when I flex, my abs are normal (and decent), but normally it sticks out like I weigh 300 lbs. I've heard this could be bloating, estrogen related, water weight, etc...

    There's definitely fat there, but it sucks because all the fat on my body is on my stomach
    If it happens that day or overnight, it's highly likely that it's just food and water weight and possibly effects from food re bloating and gas, etc.

    The only way to know if it is fat is to get your body composition tested - but generally, fat is harder and you can tell (you just can, even if it is harder).

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Senior Member
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    84923
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    93.24%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Grab what you think is fat and squeeze. You will be able to tell by the touch. If it feels like a boob, its fat.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    cvs766's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    36.7%

    My bodyfat is actually only 10%, but it's there 24/7...just can't tell.
  5. Senior Member
    drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,117
    Rep Power
    84923
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    93.24%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Watch your sodium intake for a few weeks and evaluate further from there. You may just hold a majority of your fat on your stomach. Its very common. I know I do.
  6. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    you should probably cleanse your colon. i went through a milk chugging stage trying to put on weight and afterwards i was in great shape but had the same protruding stomach you are talking about. i used oxypowder and ate nothing but vegetables for a week. let me tell you i lost like 8 pounds and from that time on i feel like there is nothing sitting in my stomach. i mean i dont know how bad you are clogged up but i was in the same boat, in shape and with a protruding gut and this did the trick for me. stopping drinking milk helped
  7. New Member
    cvs766's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    36.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you should probably cleanse your colon. i went through a milk chugging stage trying to put on weight and afterwards i was in great shape but had the same protruding stomach you are talking about. i used oxypowder and ate nothing but vegetables for a week. let me tell you i lost like 8 pounds and from that time on i feel like there is nothing sitting in my stomach. i mean i dont know how bad you are clogged up but i was in the same boat, in shape and with a protruding gut and this did the trick for me. stopping drinking milk helped
    That could be it actually; I drink about a gallon of milk a day lol...thanks



    Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    Watch your sodium intake for a few weeks and evaluate further from there. You may just hold a majority of your fat on your stomach. Its very common. I know I do.
    I didn't know it was that common, it's weird because fat-wise I look like Jay Cutler...until you see the gut of an obese person. I'll try that.
  8. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    yeah the lactose in the milk can create all sorts of bloating. i had the same type gut until i stopped drinking milk completely and now im shredded to the boneee baby
  9. New Member
    cvs766's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    36.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    yeah the lactose in the milk can create all sorts of bloating. i had the same type gut until i stopped drinking milk completely and now im shredded to the boneee baby
    thanks man...did you take any supps for the bloating or change your diet, or was it really just the milk?
  10. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cvs766 View Post
    thanks man...did you take any supps for the bloating or change your diet, or was it really just the milk?
    well i really cleaned up my diet. at the time i was also eating a lot of corn trying to gain weight, which is horrible. i cut out milk, corn, then eventually bread and pasta. all those foods are pro inflammatory and can easy cause a bloat. cut all those out which is basically the Paleo diet that ive been following for the past year, and you'll trim up in 3 weeks.
  11. New Member
    cvs766's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    36.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    well i really cleaned up my diet. at the time i was also eating a lot of corn trying to gain weight, which is horrible. i cut out milk, corn, then eventually bread and pasta. all those foods are pro inflammatory and can easy cause a bloat. cut all those out which is basically the Paleo diet that ive been following for the past year, and you'll trim up in 3 weeks.
    might give that as shot, thanks a lot
  12. Board Supporter
    wastedwhiteboy2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,989
    Rep Power
    3013
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    58.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    90% of the time it's fat. Of course fat holds water but you can only hold so much water. An AI will drop some estrogen and water weight. Make you pee more often. Most likely its fat. Cortisol will make you gain belly fat. Try to control the cortisol with some vitamin C or other cortisol blockers.
  13. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by wastedwhiteboy2 View Post
    90% of the time it's fat. Of course fat holds water but you can only hold so much water. An AI will drop some estrogen and water weight. Make you pee more often. Most likely its fat. Cortisol will make you gain belly fat. Try to control the cortisol with some vitamin C or other cortisol blockers.
    if he can clearly see a six pack then its not fat. adipose tissue in the abdomen would sit over the abs. this is a bloat from inflammation, in his case from drinking a ton of milk. most likely..im not a doctor
  14. Advanced Member
    CaponeCEO's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    458
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    It's fat. This is what happens when you bulk. Even if you are an ectomorph you can still get a round gut. Try cutting down on the amount of powders you consume.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. water weight
    By mariod17 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 10:26 PM
  2. Difference in weight: Morning vs. Night?
    By mustangman in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 01:01 AM
  3. M1T and water weight
    By IHateGymMorons in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 09:07 AM
  4. M1T, 4AD and Water Weight
    By savagery in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in