Amateur Lifter figuring out supplements...

Fr33dmJzzDnc3

Awards
So Ive been lifting off and on for a while, but previously more concerned with general health and weight loss. After dropping somewhere around 60 - 70 lbs, and building up a bit of strength/muscle, Im really looking to try to bulk up a bit and gain some pure muscle mass. I feel like I am eating fairly well, I am a vegetarian, yet still getting 150 - 200 grams of protein a day. I am trying to figure out what supplements would actually be helpful for me to take, as there are so many conflicting reviews as to which are good and bad. I am already taking Whey Protein, but outside of that... what should I be taking pre/post workout? Please help me out, Im a bit lost as to what would help me with muscle gains.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on your amount of weight loss! That's a huge success in itself there...

I don't know to much about you, but after losing all of that weight, I would assume you can gain it back fairly easy? So try not to get caught up in the term "bulk" but adding lean mass instead. The slow and steady approach would be best I feel.

As far as supplements go, you nailed it on the head. Between marketing hype and mixed reviews, it's very hard to gain a true assessment as to what may or may not work.

In my bias opinion, USPLabs supplements have shown to "truly work for me" as well as many many others. This is what led me to seeking out a sponsorship with them.

For me, it all started with jack3d and after seeing how great of a prewo supp that was, I explored a bit deeper into what they had to offer. One after another supplement from their lineup continued to show great results, thus leading to me investing in their complete lineup!

If you take a look over at http://www.usplabsdirect.com/forum/ you'll be able to dig a bit deeper into what each supplement they offer is all about. From there, a product educator will be able to help you with any product questions and fill in the blanks as to what supplements would work best for you in your given situation!

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
So Ive been lifting off and on for a while, but previously more concerned with general health and weight loss. After dropping somewhere around 60 - 70 lbs, and building up a bit of strength/muscle, Im really looking to try to bulk up a bit and gain some pure muscle mass. I feel like I am eating fairly well, I am a vegetarian, yet still getting 150 - 200 grams of protein a day. I am trying to figure out what supplements would actually be helpful for me to take, as there are so many conflicting reviews as to which are good and bad. I am already taking Whey Protein, but outside of that... what should I be taking pre/post workout? Please help me out, Im a bit lost as to what would help me with muscle gains.
I would say that for general BB or athletic a good base is alway:

Multi vit.
a good source Of Omega 3 (fish or Flax seed oil)
ZMA
Creatine
If looking for a preworkout Jacked3d is one of the most popular.
I'd try to up my protein to closer to 250 grams per day a Casein shake right before bed would help.
Just working on a good routine and diet goes alone way
After that i real depends on your goals and your budget.
hope this help's good luck and welcome to AM.
P.S. there a ton of good info on this site just spend a couple hours doing some reseach.

Fr33dmJzzDnc3

Awards
So... heres what I am gathering. Not talking about supplement companies, but just in terms of things to take would be....

MultiV
Preworkout supp (Like Jack3d)
Creatine
Whey Protein
BCAA

Sure I need to research the companies, but does that sound like a good stack to optimize my workouts? What is that ZMA stuff? Never heard of it.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
So... heres what I am gathering. Not talking about supplement companies, but just in terms of things to take would be....

MultiV
Preworkout supp (Like Jack3d)
Creatine
Whey Protein
BCAA

Sure I need to research the companies, but does that sound like a good stack to optimize my workouts? What is that ZMA stuff? Never heard of it.
My apologies...

Yes that compilation looks good to start with. Supps can get costly, so you need to tread carefully.

In a nutshell, zma should be taken at night before bed in which can help promote better sleep as some may note (leading to better recovery). Helps support healthy testosterone function through supplementation of zinc, magnesium and vitamin b-6 in which studies show most to be insufficient of.

Fr33dmJzzDnc3

Awards
Great thank you for the help, both for the supplement information and the brands, I'm going to go check out the brands you mentioned, very helpful!

Ession

Awards
I'm not a rep and I'll say that usp is one of the more reputable and affordable brands out there. Second the opinions of jack3d as well.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Also, they make 2 break through supplements that are right up your alley.

Prewo (that you've asked for) - Jack3d
BCAA - ModernBCAA

Like I mentioned before, to learn more about these particular supps from USP and many others they have available, check out http://www.usplabsdirect.com/forum/

Make a quick log in name and sign up and ask away in the subforum pertaining to the product you wish to try! Experienced product educators will be able to help you from a-z on any questions you have!