Protein help

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone, well sometimes we all think we know a lot about something, then we find out we don't know shizzle, lol. Well I will be first to admit that I fall into that category. I am trying to gain size, but I need some help choosing the right protein. I have used protein supps such as Monster Food, Up Your Mass, Myogenix After Shock, Serious Mass. I got pretty big one time (230lbs), but that was when I was taking Serious Mass, while cycling with Omnivol. With that weight came a lot of fat. Ok, I think you get the picture, I need help choosing the right weight gainer, mass builder protein. I eat well (I like to think) 6-7 meals a day (my meal plan sample is attached). I went to iProtein.com - My Protein Finder! but got lost figuring what is right for me. I currently weight 192, and I am 73" tall, I estmate my bf to be about 9-10%. I want to reach a goal of approx 215-225 of lean weight. So can someone help me pick a right protein from iProtein.com - My Protein Finder! matrix? My bigggest bewilderment is what protein type (whey, soy, casein, blend etc). I know casein is more of a pre bed protein for slow release. My other uncertainty is the amount of carbs I need in my protein per serving. Thanks for all the help. A meal plan is welcome as well.
Question: Is a mass building protein the same as a weight gainer protein?

Attachments

TateFTW

TateFTW

Awards
Jesus man, you're overthinking it. First and foremost, your primary source of protein should be dietary. Chicken>powder any day of the week. Other then that, just use some of whatever you like to fill in the rest, and only if you can't meet your needs with your diet. I use the cheapest whey I can find. Right now I'm using some whey I got on sale at the vitamin shoppe, 2 5lb tubs for $50. It doesn't taste that great, but I don't use it much. I used to get casein, but its expensive as hell.

Anyways, your body just needs lots of food, training, and rest to grow. The type/brand/flavor of protein supplement you use would come like 200th on the list of things that matter.

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All protein from food..
None from shakes..
Marketing scam..
Unless your on a hardcore cut..

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
...or unless real food costs more than powder-form protein gram for gram like where I live...

if I was in the U.S., I would probably not touch protein powder that much. With that being said, I'd go for the cheapest variety... 10lbs for $80 iswhat I currently use. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses guys. I am a hard gainer, so I need the extra help to pack on weight. And with my schedule, there is only so much food I can cook and carry with me. So, is using a mass or weight gainer protein overrated, and i would be ok with a traditional whey protein?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All protein from food..
None from shakes..
Marketing scam..
Unless your on a hardcore cut..
What? Some days I get almost half of my protein from shakes. I use meal replacement shakes and with those you can use whey or casien or a blend. There's also the protein from the milk and you could also use peanut butter. Check out the link in my signature. You can add a couple drinkable meals to your plan to make bulking a breeze (two shakes could give you an extra 1600 calories a day no problem.

As far as your whole food meals, just go with chicken, fish, eggs, lean beef (though I routinely eat rib-eye stakes), ground turkey (you have to spice it right to make it taste good) and protein powders.

I occasionally add a half of a scoop of whey protein to a whole food meal just to increase the total protein. Casein before bed is a good idea as well.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^ Protein powder and oatmeal :)

As was said any protein works :D

If your bulking go for one with alot of cals. I hit up two a day like the guy above me said and add 2150 cals in two shakes a day :D which I just drink with/30 mins before a meal

fyi 3.5 cups of milk x 120 cals plus 640 cals x2 = 2150 roughly.

But it is important to get varied and balanced protein sources. Dont always eat the same meat, and switching powders dosent hurt because they all do the same, or maybe youll find one you digest better or like the taste of. Just get some and drink it mate. if your cutting there are a ton of low fat and carb crappy tasting shakes, and a few good ones ;)

Dont use a website, to find protein... I use Cytosport Monster Mass. Yummy, lots of carbs and proteins and good fats and other crap that I probably dont need in there, if I had the money Id still take hour and a half pre, and half an hour pro but it goes fast. If your looking to bulk thats what I used, and it helped me put on weight from 176 to 188, along with creatine and a TB. I got sick and lost 8 pounds but whatev, now im back to gaining again.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Wow lots of responses, thanks everyone. it is funny you all mention about going the liquid route. I remember I got so fed up of cooking oatmeal, and boiling eggs in the morning, I stopped. I started buying liquid egg whites from egg whites international, and putting a half cup of raw oatmeal with it, and then shaking and drinking it. I actually loved that, I will get back to that again, but this time I will grind the oatmeal in the grinder. I love up your mass by MHP, it tastes and mixes great. It does not have those big laundry detergent scoops. Monster Food was great too, but way too sweet, and I doubt my body was actually keeping the 74g of protein per serving it said I am supposed to get. Thanks again everyone.

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Half from shakes? That is terrible..
I get over 200 from food..

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
I would love to eat steak everyday... unfortunately a ribeye is about $25 raw... and then I'd have to marinate and cook it, and then do dishes... A shake is about $2 and takes 5 min. for me.

Also, liquids don't fill you up as fast, so for some of use that can't seem to eat massive amounts of food, it comes down to quality and stomach space utilization. At least that's the way I see it.

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
Eating actual food is certainly better than a shake. That said, shakes are far more conveniant a lot of the times. Some people just dont have the appetite to eat. I usually have a shake or two per day. Two on workout days and one on non.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some of us like myself who weigh over 300 pounds have a hard time eating that much food. That's why I use shakes, not too mention not all protein is created equal imo. I use whey pre-intra-post, egg protein, and milk isolate (casein). MAP by PP I am dying to try as well.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You say its horrible to get half from shakes... have you ever looked at it from a different perspective? say you get 200 from food. and your able to drink four shakes a day(breakfast, pre workout with meal, post workout before meal/with, and casein before bed) and get ANOTHER 200 g from shakes, so how is that worse than your normal 200? all your doing is gettin more protein. how is that bad? especially if you are a hard gainer and you need all you can get in cals and protein. I understand if someone is subbing shakes IN PLACE OF MEALS, but if its in addition as I do, and Im sure Type O Hero does, then there is NOTHING bad. Im mean sure you can eat more if you dont drink a shake... but I dont have time preworkout after school to prepare a meal, let alone have money. and usually I drink milk with my meals, so whats wrong with drinking a shake in place of milk, because it will fill me up about the same, and usually I can eat as much as I want because I eat quickly, and have my stomach trained for ****load of food. So, its actually not terrible. Otherwise why would people have shakes. Why would EVERYONE say that protein powder is a staple? is it bad to take creatine and a pre workout too because you cant eat as much or as often with them? No. Btw I just finished my 1000 calories of delicious vanilla Monster Mass with 82 grams of protein :) time to get my all important meal.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sorry for arguing on your thread ranger, I think you have some good answers here to your question about PROTEIN SHAKES, if you need to know anything else were all here to help.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I am good to go guys. I actually started applying some of the advice given. I ground up the oatmeal added 2 scoops of VPX Stealth protein, 2 cups of Mootopia milk. Mootopia is sold by HEB, and it is sugar free, and you get 12g of protein per cup. That along with 5 eggs whites boiled, and one whole egg and a banana is what I started having for breakfast. It was awesome to just drink that shake with the oatmeal instead of spending between 10-12 mins trying to eat a bowl of oatmeal. I have also started eating a 1/2 cup of non-fat cottage cheese mixed with a scoop of the vpx prebed....mmmmm. So right now I am having a shake in the morning with the oatmeal mixed, one before workout with the oatmeal mixed as well, and one post workout (no oatmeal). Mid morning I have 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with some pineapple cubes and 1 scoop of peanut butter. Lunch, 8oz chicken breast, spinach and 1/2 sweet potatoe. Mid evening 2 lundburg rice cakes (flaxseed mixed with tamari) basted with peanut butter. Dinner 4-6 oz tuna mixed with 1/2 avocado. I will let you guys know how things workout.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am good to go guys. I actually started applying some of the advice given. I ground up the oatmeal added 2 scoops of VPX Stealth protein, 2 cups of Mootopia milk. Mootopia is sold by HEB, and it is sugar free, and you get 12g of protein per cup. That along with 5 eggs whites boiled, and one whole egg and a banana is what I started having for breakfast. It was awesome to just drink that shake with the oatmeal instead of spending between 10-12 mins trying to eat a bowl of oatmeal. I have also started eating a 1/2 cup of non-fat cottage cheese mixed with a scoop of the vpx prebed....mmmmm. So right now I am having a shake in the morning with the oatmeal mixed, one before workout with the oatmeal mixed as well, and one post workout (no oatmeal). Mid morning I have 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with some pineapple cubes and 1 scoop of peanut butter. Lunch, 8oz chicken breast, spinach and 1/2 sweet potatoe. Mid evening 2 lundburg rice cakes (flaxseed mixed with tamari) basted with peanut butter. Dinner 4-6 oz tuna mixed with 1/2 avocado. I will let you guys know how things workout.
Freaking love Mootopia I drink half a gallon of it a day (Skim of course)

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I do the fat free, and yes it taste awesome.

AutobotVu

Awards
I take hydro whey amazin taste doesn't have that weird after taste that all protein have.
I Eat Hamburger helper with Extra Lean Ground Turkey.
And ball park turkey dogs the one with like .5 g fat
Sandwich and eggs
Sweet Corn
And Casein at night

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Hamburger helper would be good, but I try to avoid regular pasta. If I do eat pasta. it has to whole wheat pasta, like the ones from Barilla. Off topic: What the h3ll is wrong with Tony Parker, these guys never learn.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the responses guys. I am a hard gainer, so I need the extra help to pack on weight. And with my schedule, there is only so much food I can cook and carry with me. So, is using a mass or weight gainer protein overrated, and i would be ok with a traditional whey protein?
The general consensus is 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound. Protein powders are very convenient, especially when getting through an 8-10 hour workday. Myofusion and Dymatize Elite 7 Fusion are great choices.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man your diet sounds great and that is one mean shake, thats for sure. The only thing you might want to hit up is some more fruits and veges, because although you can get alot of your vitamins and minerals from pills and stuff, you dont get antioxidants, phytochemicals and lots of other goodies in there. I think I saw two servings total in there, an avacado and a pineapple. I try to eat two to three servings per meal minus shake meals a day. Otherwise it looks perfect dude. alot better than most people

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
Like everyone has been saying in terms of protein try and get a majority from food I personally like lean beef myself but chicken is good as well. And protein powder isnt junk if you are in a bind then go with that. Also have you thought about making your own gainer shake. A lot of the gainers are overpriced and the total servings isnt that good. Try adding in peanut butter a banana whey be creative about it. And in my opinion for gaining lean weight make sure your carbs are moderate I like to eat a lot of eats while bulking and I use sugar free syrup with them because I cant do just plain bland oats. I hope this helps

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
Unless I missed it, I didn't see mention of almonds. I love snacking on almonds. About two handfuls is about 59 grams, and is 339 calories= Protein:12.4g, carbs:12.8g, fat:28.9g (good fat). I have to premeasure the almonds, or I would eat too many. Also salt free is available online.

Peace!
Grega

xFRACTION

xFRACTION

Awards
  • Established
Unless I missed it, I didn't see mention of almonds. I love snacking on almonds. About two handfuls is about 59 grams, and is 339 calories= Protein:12.4g, carbs:12.8g, fat:28.9g (good fat). I have to premeasure the almonds, or I would eat too many. Also salt free is available online.

Peace!
Grega
This! I get all natural almond butter too. make a sanwhich sometimes. 2 pieces whole wheat bread 2 Tbs almond butter 1 banana. sometimes add honey

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What brand do you guys use? Almond butter gets awfully expensive, but I love using it in my diet.