is milk important while bulking?

zack76

Awards
I was just wondering if it matters if i drink milk during a bulking cycle or not cuz i never drink milk at all but i do have a hard time putting on weight unless i stuff myself to the point where im about to throw up lol. i eat very clean to.

zack76

Awards
i guess it can help get a few extra calories and proten but it also has some sugar which is mostly why i avoid it.

zack76

Awards
thanks for repping me. i would rep u to but i dont know how lol

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
i guess it can help get a few extra calories and proten but it also has some sugar which is mostly why i avoid it.
Whole milk is great for calories, and the lactose in milk isn't much to worry about. You're missing the point of bulking if you're eatting too clean to gain any weight!

What do you normally drink? I'm pretty sure half a gallon of whole milk has about 1,200 calories in it.

zack76

Awards
just straight up water all day. also orange juice in the morning but other then that nothing really

zack76

Awards
the thing is unless i eat really clean i can easily pack on fat but when i eat clean i dont but then i cant put on any muscle either lol

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Do what you gotta do, but you probably need at minimum 3,500 calories a day.

newbie09

Awards
Whole milk is great for calories, and the lactose in milk isn't much to worry about. You're missing the point of bulking if you're eatting too clean to gain any weight!

What do you normally drink? I'm pretty sure half a gallon of whole milk has about 1,200 calories in it.

but what about all the fat you get from it then ?? i wasnt arguing .. just curious..

zack76

Awards
ya exactly lol im just not really sure if its beneficial to have milk in your diet or not.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
but what about all the fat you get from it then ?? i wasnt arguing .. just curious..
I'm not a pro at bulking, so im sure someone can chime in on this with a better answer than me. I will search for a thread to read up on a milk diet though.

zack76

Awards
nice thread. guess ill just start drinking more protein shakes throughout the day. i currently have 2-3 a day.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Lots of milk simply allows you to get an easy source of calories and some protein. There's not necessarily anything magic about it. Most people can tolerate calories in liquid form and not get as full as with solid food, so it's often recommended for skinny guys who can't seem to gain weight. Get enough calories in and you'll gain weight, whether you drink milk or not.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You'll gain some fat drinking milk or bulking, it is inevitable..

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
milk isnt important while bulking however its shown in studies to be the optimal post workout nutrition (chocolate milk with some extra protein). Or you can just add MAP as your post workout nutrition for MPS (muscle protein synthesis) since its actually shown in studies carbohydrates dont increase MPS more then adequate protein.

However it makes bulking easier, if your lactose intolerant those milk sugars are digested like a fiber, and you **** your brains out.

but my best way when bulking to get calories is a SHOT of oil (like a shot glass). Thats usually 30mL which is 2 tablespoons, which is 28g fat.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Here's an interesting article about milk published by the University of Tennessee:

Dietary calcium appears to play a pivotal role in the regulation of energy metabolism and obesity risk. High calcium diets attenuate body fat accumulation and weight gain during periods of over-consumption of an energy-dense diet and to increase fat breakdown and preserve metabolism during caloric restriction, thereby markedly accelerating weight and fat loss. This effect is mediated primarily by circulating calcitriol, which regulates adipocyte intracellular Ca(2+). Studies of human adipocyte metabolism demonstrate a key role for intracellular Ca(2+) in regulating lipid metabolism and triglyceride storage, with increased intracellular Ca(2+) resulting in stimulation of lipogenic gene expression and lipogenesis and suppression of lipolysis, resulting in adipocyte lipid filling and increased adiposity. Moreover, the increased calcitriol produced in response to low calcium diets stimulates adipocyte Ca(2+) influx and, consequently, promotes adiposity, while higher calcium diets inhibit lipogenesis, promote lipolysis, lipid oxidation and thermogenesis and inhibit diet-induced obesity in mice. Notably, dairy sources of calcium exert markedly greater effects in attenuating weight and fat gain and accelerating fat loss. This augmented effect of dairy products versus supplemental calcium has been localized, in part, to the whey fraction of dairy and is likely due to additional bioactive compounds, such as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors in dairy, as well as the rich concentration of branched chain amino acids, which act synergistically with calcium to attenuate adiposity; however, these compounds do not fully account for the observed effects, as whey has significantly greater bioactivity than found in these compounds. These concepts are confirmed by epidemiological data as well as recent clinical trials which demonstrate that diets which include at least three daily servings of dairy products result in significant reductions in body fat mass in obese humans in the absence of caloric restriction and markedly accelerates the weight and body fat loss secondary to caloric restriction compared to low dairy diets. These data indicate an important role for dairy products in both the ability to maintain a healthy weight and the management of overweight and obesity.

jimtheslim

Awards
Milk isn't that important in gaining weight. But like killer said you need to up your calories to put on the pounds

zack76

Awards
alright actually just started having more protein shakes throught oout the day just to up my calorie intake a bit since i wake up around 10:30 and cant usually get in more then 3-4 solid meals a day. decided to skip the milk as i am prone to fat gain

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
I just drink Half&Half in my MHP UP your MASS, and 2 scoops casein to my nyte shake

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Milk doesn't make you fat. The only thing that will is calories in versus calories out.

The gomad diet is stupid.

Milk is not vital on a bulk but alot of people myself included prefer to work it in simply for taste with shakes, others drink it all the time. Remember your body won't pack on muscle without packing on some fat. Let's say 400 cal surplus depending on your genetics 200 goes to muscle 200 to fat. Dropping your surplus will not usually still result in 200 cals going to muscle and nothing for fat storage. I migh be 100/100. Going to much of a defeict may jug add more fat no more muscle.

So don't blame milk, sugar or fat fo gaining fat. It's only dictated by the total calories. If your not gaining any muscle eat 100 cal more. If you can't eat more than like the other guy said start adding olive oil to shakes. Keep bumping I up 100-200 cal every other week depending on scale and mirror results.

If your not gaining than adding milk to protein shakes is a nice way to get an extra 100-200 calories per shake extra.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
If your stomach can tolerate it, it is a nice aide to have for hardgainers like S2S said. it CHoclate milke is what I perfer. it has more calories than white whole milks but both have the same 20% casein and 80% whey in it with 240 calories. But does have high sugar..

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I drink 2 gallons of milk every 4 days, its delicious.

Enantato

Awards
Bro drink milk with every meal. A 32 ounce glass of whole milk has 450 calories in it, drink one of those 3x per day and you've got an extra 1350 calories, which is almost a half a pound.
I can't stand whole milk, but 32 ounces of skim milk is still 270 calories.
Drink as much milk as possible.

zack76

Awards
ill pass on milk. i have a hard enough time keeping fat off as it is lol. im having better results by just taking a scoop of protein in between meals. so i have about 4 a day.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
ill pass on milk. i have a hard enough time keeping fat off as it is lol. im having better results by just taking a scoop of protein in between meals. so i have about 4 a day.
scoops or shakes???????????

unc21

unc21

Awards
  • Established
You're better off with whole foods sources than more shakes. And like others mentioned, milk wont make you fat, excess cals will make you fat. But only way to add muscle is excess cals. If you seriously wanna gain weight, suck it up and add on the extra fat gain that comes with it. You cant have the best of both worlds.......just not possible.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
You're better off with whole foods sources than more shakes. And like others mentioned, milk wont make you fat, excess cals will make you fat. But only way to add muscle is excess cals. If you seriously wanna gain weight, suck it up and add on the extra fat gain that comes with it. You cant have the best of both worlds.......just not possible.
yeah that wuz what i wuz gettin at on the last page, he said sumthin about 4 sumthin shakes or scoops of protien? He gonna need to lookm to actual food sources, for gainz

Enantato

Awards
I thought you were bulking?
Do you have a hard time putting on weight or keeping off fat?
I think you should probably figure out if you want to bulk or recomp first.

andrewcb

Awards
i drink a gallon of organic whole milk a day, 2400 calories and 128 g protein, i love the stuff too, i gain weight fast, you can drink soy milk too, dont know how many calories is in it but its like half the grams of fat but same protein

andrewcb

Awards
skim milk, no fat
can also exchange water or what not for this.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
NO you do not need milk!

Milk is full of useless sugar. I do not drink milk even when im bulking. I use water for all my shakes. Plus, "Milk is for babies...." - Arnold

BEAST

anoopbal

Awards
Milk is full of useless sugar. I do not drink milk even when im bulking. I use water for all my shakes and a truck load of drugz. Plus, "Milk is for babies...." - Arnold

hugerobb

hugerobb

Awards
I drink a gallon a day always have since I was a skinny neck of 150 pounds now Im at 340 of solid mass an I still drink it but you have too decide whats good for you ,It works for me and i will continue drinking it

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Milk is full of useless sugar. I do not drink milk even when im bulking. I use water for all my shakes and a truck load of drugz. Plus, "Milk is for babies...." - Arnold
Humorous.

BEAST

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was just wondering if it matters if i drink milk during a bulking cycle or not cuz i never drink milk at all but i do have a hard time putting on weight unless i stuff myself to the point where im about to throw up lol. i eat very clean to.
its very useful I believe however its not a make or break during a bulking cycle as there are many different ways to get your protein,calories and what not.I will say its probably a easy and simple method though when mixed with the weight gainer of your choice when your trying to bulk up.

nibbs

Awards
I used to do a quart or half gallon of low fat chocolate milk for my post workout, depending on what body part i did. Milk is obv. high in calcium which is great for your muslces also read up on vitamine D2 and D3 i think it is..they help with hormonal increases also if im not mistaken.

But its based on you, if you cant gain weight easily like how i was, this was great, but if u put on fat easily then i would look for a substitute or just not drink as much