am i bulking like an idiot?

lemon

Awards
alright, i know i randomly chime in, and sound like an idiot, but ive been hitting the gym hard...but am i working out completely against myself?

ive been doing less reps building weight as i go, in the order 10 8 5, or 10 8 8 5 on certain work outs and eating ALOT.... but i also have been doing 30 mins cardio and abs every day....is the cardio and abs a bad thing? im not training to bulk hudge, im just trying to fill ****ty loose skin with density and work off the extra weight i have from being fat.

am i burning the muscle i just worked for off? am i effin up doing a bulk / skin fill this way? will i just get saggyier ( is that a word? )? help me out guys

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no if you are prone to fat gain... cardio is a good thing even when bulking.

NapoleanComp

Awards
If you're worried about overdoing your cardio, you could lower your time to 20 minutes and increase the intensity level somewhat. Keep the cardio so you don't end up fatting up too much on your bulk.

You should be more specific about your training routine and diet. The advice you get will be better the more information you can provide.

weeniman

Awards
You might try adjusting the intensity level of your weightlifting so your target heart-rate is maintained while you're lifting. You could then skip (or minimize) a separate cardio work-out.

Really helps me grow while reducing fat.

hog928

Awards
  • Established
Cardio isnt a bad thing specially for use pot smokers that need to keep are lungs from giving out lol im just kidden but no cardio is always good if you dont over do it

bomb402

Awards
Stop the cardio if you want to bulk. Use your head dude. The guys with high test levels and good genetics or on steroids can pull off cardio while bulking...but even then they'd bulk a hell of a lot faster without cardio. You are wasting your time and money doing cardio while bulking. I bet you didn't know that the only exercise that strengthens your heart is interval or high intensity training stop and go stuff anyway. I do not worship the cardio god and I can gain faster than anyone. You gotta think about adrenal stress too...

lemon

Awards
i do it cause i have excess skin, i went from 260 to 180, and i have excess fat and skin, and i want to loose it, but in areas like my chest, tri's and legs, im guessing the only way to get rid of the flab is to fill..but the area like stomach, and thighs, i need to burn off with what im guessing is cardio, and abs

my diet is eat, eat and eat but healthy food, no fast food and no salts and cheeses
work out is the muscles i work out, and then cardio and abs
i work out monday, wensday, thursday, friday, saturday
in this order chest, shoulders and tris, back and bi's, and then legs
i have a good routine and i have seen change, just wondering if the cardio is bad for filling the extra skin

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stop the cardio if you want to bulk. Use your head dude. The guys with high test levels and good genetics or on steroids can pull off cardio while bulking...but even then they'd bulk a hell of a lot faster without cardio. You are wasting your time and money doing cardio while bulking. I bet you didn't know that the only exercise that strengthens your heart is interval or high intensity training stop and go stuff anyway. I do not worship the cardio god and I can gain faster than anyone. You gotta think about adrenal stress too...
Sorry to burst your bubble dude

But cardio is okay when bulking if one is prone to fat gain- I wouldnt do it 6 days a week more like 3 for 30 mins low intensity a nice jog or something

In fact some studies (while not conclusive) state that minor amounts of cardio can AIDE in muscle building

Cardio gets blood flowing- blood carries oxygen/nutrients to the muscles thus resulting in better feeding of the tissue with quicker muscle repair

Does this mean do it 6 days a week- I wouldnt if ur trying to bulk- hell I only did cardio 6 days a week when I was cutting on anabolics- now that im in pct I only do it three

I will be doing cardio 3 times a week on my bulk- maybe 2 I will see how the fat gain is

SOOO it all depends on ur body type really

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
When I bulk I try to do cardio 15 minutes 3 times a week, that's just for my heart though.
As long as you are taking in enough cals dont worry about what you are burning.

Rest is key to bulking. Something I personally dont get enough of...

dropshot001

Awards
cardio when bulking is a good idea because it will help you fight off unwanted fat gain and it will also get your metabolism and appetite ripping faster than with no cardio. some fasted cardio in the morning would be a good idea.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
unless ur on cycle dont expect huge gains in muscle quickly. Cardio is good for general health keep it in the routine if you are not putting on size of weight (be conservative with weight gain going by the mirror is always better than the scale) and if you are not gaining as quickly or as well as you had hoped increase calories. The only way to get bigger is to eat for it.

TankerBiskits

TankerBiskits

Awards
If anybody reading this needs fast calories it's called Super Mass Gainer by Dymatize Nutrition. 1280 calories in 2scoops (334grams). In those two scoops amongst many other things is 50g's of protein and 252 grams of carbs.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to burst your bubble dude

But cardio is okay when bulking if one is prone to fat gain- I wouldnt do it 6 days a week more like 3 for 30 mins low intensity a nice jog or something

In fact some studies (while not conclusive) state that minor amounts of cardio can AIDE in muscle building

Cardio gets blood flowing- blood carries oxygen/nutrients to the muscles thus resulting in better feeding of the tissue with quicker muscle repair

Does this mean do it 6 days a week- I wouldnt if ur trying to bulk- hell I only did cardio 6 days a week when I was cutting on anabolics- now that im in pct I only do it three

I will be doing cardio 3 times a week on my bulk- maybe 2 I will see how the fat gain is

SOOO it all depends on ur body type really
Sorry to burst your bubble...but your skinny. So your the type that needs to cut it out completely.A lot of cardio (2+ days a week) is not better for bulking or cutting for that matter..you should research this more.A minor amount is just that..a minor amount. Try carb cycling for cutting instead.
As to the OP if you do it do it once or twice a week at low intensity it shouldn't be a problem. Every day is way to f'n much unless your goal is small muscles with good cardio...it's good for Zombieland anyway..:sombrero:

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
Hey lemon im going to ask u to clafify a bit before everyone starts yelling at each other about cardio.

1) Can u please give us your exact split as to day, target muscle group, exercises, sets and reps.
2) Can you give us a detailed diet, or at the very least calories consumed daily.
3) if possible a %bf.
4) hours generally sleep (this is especially important if u are natural) oh and if you are on cycle please let us know.

I think the most important thing is diet and training dictate results. If you easily put fat on yes cardio can be a tool to aid you, and how much cardio is going to vary much differently from person to person because of lean tissue mass, geneder, age, and so on. However without any real detailed info we cant really answer the question you are asking beyond making an estimated guess, which as i have found is about as usefull as not getting any info at all.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
My logic is that if you do some cardio, and follow it up with a serving of natty pb, you just replaced the calories lost. Simple as that.

I think cardio is an effective tool for promoting cardiovascular health, endurance, breathing, etc.

I dont think it will make or break any bulking or cutting cycle. Diet is key here. This and heavy weight training.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
In the end, it's calories in vs. calories out. If you adjust your macros accordingly, there should be no need for cardio.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
In the end, it's calories in vs. calories out. If you adjust your macros accordingly, there should be no need for cardio.
yes i agree wholeheartedly however as much as I despise cardio I do it for its cardiovascular benefits. but yes i agree u wanna bulk, add cals, wanna cut drop em. Simple as that

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thisssss that simple

And 192 is not what I would call skinny- skinny is like 170

to me at least...just my opinion

Yeah man I am bulking up now- so any lost cals i do on cardio I will replace with extra cals

Only reason Im doing cardio is cause its still summer

When winter comes I cut cardio out- I got a lil chunky BUT when it all comes off the next summer there is more muscle than before

Just keep pluggin away and askin questions man you will find what works for you

tumtum

Awards
  • Established
since everyone is giving their take here's mine...

chances are you are going to try and clean bulk.. we all do. but then it's going to get dirty..

when i start bulking i will do cardio 2-3 times a week only on the days i work body parts that AREN'T LAGGING... my upper chest and outer quads blow so you can believe i wont do cardio on those days..

when i struggle to start putting on the weight and i feel as though i cannot eat anymore i'll start taking off time on my cardio.. instead of 20 mine i'll go down to 15.. then keep taking some out as my weight stalls until i'm either done bulking or i'm down to zero cardio..

ok update.. my bulk is over and i'd like to start cutting. i'd like to do 15 min of hiit and thank god i didn't completely quit with my cardio 6 months ago because now this is a lot easier. i can burn 300 calories without much trouble.. i'm in good shape. i'm glad i kept my cardio in as long as i could.

and they all lived happily ever after.. THE END..

haha.. so in other words.. cardio is your friend in small doses

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
i think this is the great debate among bb's.. the guy that said its all about calories in vs calories out is right but only in terms of overall weight gain/loss. there are numerous variables that play into the fact of whether or not you lose fat, gain muscle, lose muscle, etc..

those who advocated implementing cardio during a bulk at low intensities and frequencies, i agree with, for augmenting cardiopulmonary health.

you gotta find what works for you bro.. sounds to me like you should STEP UP the cardio, as you describe yourself as being "saggy". Your skin cant be that residually stretched out.. Slim down some, then start a bulk. you can weight train while you slim down but dont expect much muscle gain.. the only advantage will be muscle memory and perfecting your form so when you do start lifting heavy to bulk, youll have a headstart

lemon

Awards
sorry i havn't replied back sooner

im 19, my weight is 183 as of today
i take in as many calories as i can a day, if im hungry i eat, and i avoid things that are bad for me...most days meals consist, of rice, meats, yogurts, eggs, bacon, cereal, fish's ect ect...like i said i don't have candy, sodas, ect ect...
i also have 1 protein shake after a work out to aid in calls and g's of protein into my diet. if i had to guess im at about 3000 cals a day

i pyramid my workouts ( 3 sets 10/8/5 would be my reps, and i go up in weight as much as i can push out ) example : chest day would be bench 10/8/5, incline 10/8/5, decline 10/8/5, flys 10/10/10, and nautical chest press 10/8/5...that chest

ive noticed ive been bulking up, and sliming down around the midsection, but im unsure if this is only temp and my workout won't lead me to anything further then what im seeing now

i was 260, and slimed to 168 at my lowest weight, so yes...my skin is very streched, it was all diet so i had almost no muslce stimulation till last year/2 years and just now in the last year i have been seriously working out, but in the last few months making it very very serious

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
your skin is resiliant, it will adapt and tighten up. Keep training the way you are... looks like your bulking pretty cleanly now and i would just gradually add calories every so often. If you start to look fat in the mirror, cut back on calories, but keep lifting heavy and eat enough protein

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would like to add:
dont do abs every day. Treat it just like any other muscle group. Work it then let it repair.