carb assimilation

I

ibenjamin

Awards
typically I like to put the majority of my carbs before a big workout rather than after, as I feel less bloated. Is there a limit to how many carbs one can assimilate during a workout? or will there be too much glucose in my blood to effectively use during a 1 hr workout with 20 mins of cardio after, lets say if I had an 80gram carb meal an hour before.
Or would I be better off with a 30 gram carb serving?
thanks

B

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
what i find works for me is (and i'm a carb sensitive person i.e gain fat easy) ...

20% of daily carbs is pre-workout, 30% is post workout and 50% for the rest of the day.

Pre workout carbs is basically for fuel and to prevent body from breaking down protein for glucose. Your body uses glucose as well as creatine.

Post workout is even more important. It's for refill, super-compensation and other anabolic activities such as insulin spike.

I

ibenjamin

Awards
i too am pretty carb sensitive, so you think that if i place more after than before a workout i will avoid fat gain? wouldn't placing a bigger percentage before my workout be more beneficial for nutrient partitioning?
Thanks for the response dude

B

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i too am pretty carb sensitive, so you think that if i place more after than before a workout i will avoid fat gain? wouldn't placing a bigger percentage before my workout be more beneficial for nutrient partitioning?
Thanks for the response dude
yea man, I think post WO is more important...

when you look at it biologically,

with the pre-WO meal you're just keeping your body nourished to prevent catabolism and providing energy for the workout.

but with your post-Workout, your glycogen stores have been used significantly (depending on how hard your workout was), your creatine has been used and your muscle cells have been damaged. As a result of natural adaptation, at this state your muscle cells are temporarily far more insulin sensitive and your testosterone levels are elevated temporarily too. So resources are gonna be used far more efficiently not just for repair but for super-compensation (in order to be prepared for such stress in the future)...

I personally don't use high GI carbs ever, but post-WO is when others tend to use dextrose etc. for recovery since the body will use it much more efficiently

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
high GI carbs are garbage no matter what time of the day, insulin spikes dont do anything in terms of measurable muscle gain versus low GI foods. all sugars do are make you fat. My routine is 60-100 CHO PREWO, 100 immediately post wo, then 1 hr later 150 cho solid food post post meal