Easy way to add complex carbs to your diet

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Get an electronic coffee grinder and use that to grind up your oats into a pretty fine powder. Then you can just mix it with water or whatever else and chug it. Very easy way to add calories and quality carbs to your diet without having to go through the hassle of eating a bowl of oatmeal.

It would take me 5 minutes to eat a bowl of oats if I was really trying but it only takes about 15 seconds seconds to chug it!

sub001

Awards
This worked really well for me. The texture in my shakes is kind of awful though, but better than eating a whole bowl of plain oats.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
haha tried this the other day without grinding the oats,
from now on they will be ground lol

sub001

Awards
Yeah the first time I did it I tried it without grinding the oats haha, my throat did not like it. Then I used a really old blender and it did the trick. Grind the oats first though, not with the drink.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
My gf has one of those little magic bullet things im gonna try out.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
This worked really well for me. The texture in my shakes is kind of awful though, but better than eating a whole bowl of plain oats.
being really keen on cooking, i found the texture didn't work for me. same as waxy-maize. bleh. for the rest of you that just don't care about texture, i wish i had that ability.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
talk about texture, im sure youve tried drinking raw eggs before right?
wow is all i have to say.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
eggs blended into orange juice isn't too bad.

sub001

Awards
I lost all hope for taste and enjoyment with food a long time ago. Chicken and rice and eggs taste like cardboard at this point, and oats are just another 10-15 second discomfort while I slam down the shake. I HATE the texture, and most shakes taste terrible, but it's over in a couple seconds and you can drink some water. I just don't like stuff that upsets my stomach like some weight gainers and creatine powders. Eating regular oatmeal takes longer and I find myself poking around the bowl on days I'm not hungry. This way I just force it down.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Eating regular oatmeal takes longer and I find myself poking around the bowl on days I'm not hungry.
This is exactly what i do. Cant wait to try the shake ideal.

sub001

Awards
For my little bit of morning carbs I get, I'll probably just mix them in water though, and have it with my egg whites to avoid any other calories. Maybe a little splenda to flavor it up (gym nutritionist said that's ok), but for bulking it's decent in the shake aside from feeling like you are swallowing saw dust. At this point I could probably blend up dog **** and drink it without making a face if someone told me it would get me bigger.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I lost all hope for taste and enjoyment with food a long time ago. Chicken and rice and eggs taste like cardboard at this point,
brotha, there's so many ways to make food taste good, and if it doesn't taste good its impossible to find this lifestyle enjoyable.

try chicken + 1/2 a lemon squeezed on top, lightly peppered, and rice with 1 shake of worshestershire sauce. there's garlic, garlic powder, onions (burnt ones are a nice variation, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil placed on top of the chicken, etc). all of those ideas fit the constraints of bodybuilding, just watch the sodium of the worshestershire. balsalmic chicken is also really good, but the smell while its cooking is very unpleasant.

if you really get bored, you can try some indian seasoning (garam marsala for example), or cajun style your food. once bulking becomes boring, its too easy to just jump onto a cheat meal and screw up your gains. also, anything you do should be fun to some degree, so make your food something you enjoy.

sub001

Awards
brotha, there's so many ways to make food taste good, and if it doesn't taste good its impossible to find this lifestyle enjoyable.

try chicken + 1/2 a lemon squeezed on top, lightly peppered, and rice with 1 shake of worshestershire sauce. there's garlic, garlic powder, onions (burnt ones are a nice variation, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil placed on top of the chicken, etc). all of those ideas fit the constraints of bodybuilding, just watch the sodium of the worshestershire. balsalmic chicken is also really good, but the smell while its cooking is very unpleasant.

if you really get bored, you can try some indian seasoning (garam marsala for example), or cajun style your food. once bulking becomes boring, its too easy to just jump onto a cheat meal and screw up your gains. also, anything you do should be fun to some degree, so make your food something you enjoy.
It's those in between meals that I hate, mostly the rice ones. Just shoving rice and chicken in my mouth gets boring and I don't want to do it, but I push through. It's not so much the seasoning or taste I mind, but the dryness of baked chicken. Any suggestions for making it more of a moist meal? Something like gravy, but not gravy? I have a really strict schedule and have meals premade and preplanned so I find it easy even if it tastes bad, but making it more enjoyable would be nice, like the ground up oat idea instead of eating a bowl full.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
oh, you prebake your meals? try this : wrap the chicken breast after its cooled down in a leaf of lettuce. when you nuke it, keep the lettuce wrapped around it. after its done being microwaved, throw away the lettuce. this will help keep the moisture inside (what didn't get baked out).

that's the easiest way to do it without getting into sauces :)

another thing i like doing is cutting the chicken breast in half (sideways) and stuffing it with goat cheese and olives. when its heated up, not only does it taste good, but the goat cheese keeps a lot of its moisture.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
oh, you prebake your meals? try this : wrap the chicken breast after its cooled down in a leaf of lettuce. when you nuke it, keep the lettuce wrapped around it. after its done being microwaved, throw away the lettuce. this will help keep the moisture inside (what didn't get baked out).

that's the easiest way to do it without getting into sauces :)

another thing i like doing is cutting the chicken breast in half (sideways) and stuffing it with goat cheese and olives. when its heated up, not only does it taste good, but the goat cheese keeps a lot of its moisture.
When does your series premiere on food network?
This is stuff i'd actually try to cook and could eat daily.
:thumbsup:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i love food network! i just putz around in the kitchen and hope to god i didn't mess something up. thankfully i did learn a few tricks during that time :)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Would grinding your oats down not make them much faster digesting and higher GI? I thought steel cut oats were much better for this reason since the texture is a lot rougher and thicker.