First Official Bulk: Rate my homemade gainer

teribleturtle

Awards
Hello, I have been lifting seriously for about two years now, while I have made significant progress in terms of strength I seem to not have made much in terms of mass. For example when I first began lifting I was benching 215 for one rep, now I have gone up to about 13 reps. My weight has hovered anywhere between 155-165, keep in mind I stand 5'7.

In order to help put on more mass I have decided to supplement with a homemade gainer 2X per day. let me know what you guys think, the ingredients I use are as follows;

1 scoop ON 100% whey
1 Scoop ON Nitrocore 24
1/2 cup of ground up raw quaker oats
1 banana
3 tbsp natural peanut butter or almond butter
12-16oz non-fat milk

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
I highly recommend using whole milk instead of the non-fat. If you haven't been gaining any weight, your calories aren't high enough. The extra calories from the whole milk will be a big help in getting overal calories up, especially if you're taking this two times a day. The oats and peanut butter are great ideas.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i second the use of whole milk. i have to keep drinking whole milk during the first 3-4 weeks of my cut just to help keep muscle on, it will do nothing but help your bulk dont worry

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
why add whole milkl, he can add more nut butter, 5g leucine, and maybe a lil bit of oil.

whole milk isnt needed IMO

4 tablespoon nutbutter is 32g fat (give or take) and 288 calories, plus 50g protein another 200 calories, and 50-75g carbs 200-300 calories

800 calories or so not including indirect carbs, from protein and PB, indirect fat from protein and carbs.

that should be pretty dam good

personally im lactose intolerant and dont eat any dairy

1 cup rice milk
4 tablespoon PB
2 servings farina
1 serving weight control oats
2 scoop protein

depending on consistancy i may add more rice milk

thats a pretty high calorie MRS

you could opt for Hemp milk and get the fat and carbs too,

Just giving suggestions

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
milk fat is good for you expecially on a bulk man. i dont believe in foods boosting test enough to make a difference but milk fat is proven to boost it some. also it is good fat cals, ALOT of good fat cals. dont be mistaken that the only good fats come from nuts and fish, they also come from milk and eggs.

milk fat equals more quality fats, and he can add more pb too just dont neglect the importance of whole milk man.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
milk fat is good for you expecially on a bulk man. i dont believe in foods boosting test enough to make a difference but milk fat is proven to boost it some. also it is good fat cals, ALOT of good fat cals. dont be mistaken that the only good fats come from nuts and fish, they also come from milk and eggs.

milk fat equals more quality fats, and he can add more pb too just dont neglect the importance of whole milk man.
i dont want to even get into the discussion of milk use, and milk fats. and milk fats is proven to boost it some? point me in the direction of that literature please :)

Coconut oil does that as well, (cholesterol synthesis in the testis)
olive oil- cant remember exactly what it did but had something to do with conversion to test (there was a thread about it, i read the article a while back so forgive me for not remembering offhand)

but yes saturated fats are important as well,

coconut oil fills that bill as well

and saying that its a lot of good fat cals is tru, but when someone wants more fat theres better ways to do it .

even heavy cream works, but like i said im lactose intolerant,

and milk does not do well for a lot of people even if they arent lactose intolerant, most people have slight milk allergy leading to increased water retention, and it makes you skin appear thicker, but thats another arguement not ment for here and was discussed in different thread already

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Drink the whole milk! Besides breast milk, what is the next best option for babies and toddlers? Milk. If it's good enough to promote growth in the earliest stages of life when strength and overall development are the most imortant things, why would it not be one of the best options for growth in healthy adults? If he's training hard enough, the fat isn't going to bother him one bit.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i dont want to even get into the discussion of milk use, and milk fats. and milk fats is proven to boost it some? point me in the direction of that literature please :)

olive oil- cant remember exactly what it did but had something to do with conversion to test (there was a thread about it, i read the article a while back so forgive me for not remembering offhand)

and saying that its a lot of good fat cals is tru, but when someone wants more fat theres better ways to do it .

and milk does not do well for a lot of people even if they arent lactose intolerant, most people have slight milk allergy leading to increased water retention, and it makes you skin appear thicker, but thats another arguement not ment for here and was discussed in different thread already

i think someone heres gotta lil grudge against milk...

anyway, drink the whole milk. im sorry but saying not to is just a bad arguement. theres nothing behind it.

milk fat is good fat. hes on a bulk. end of story

lets talk about the rest of what he said now, the arguement about the milk fat shouldnt even have been brought up because there is no argument there

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Drink the whole milk! Besides breast milk, what is the next best option for babies and toddlers? Milk. If it's good enough to promote growth in the earliest stages of life when strength and overall development are the most imortant things, why would it not be one of the best options for growth in healthy adults? If he's training hard enough, the fat isn't going to bother him one bit.
you obviously missed a lot of what i said,

first of all, COWs milk is optimal for calves, but whatever,

oh and what i bolded, isnt true, formula was based around what breast milk has. and Milk being a source of calcium, is why its promoted so heavily, as a Nation relying on processed food, Calcium intake has dropped severly. While growing calcium is importand for bones and much more thats just one example obviously. As people age their ability to digest the Milk and Milk proteins becomes harder, hence Lactose intolerance

also breast milk is best due to the amount of colostrum in it to help with growth, caloric intake ect.

and MOST healthy adults have a MILK ALLERGY,

sorry, i may lose more weight drinking it from all the pissing out my ass ill be doing.

Fat your right wont bother him, unless he has gall bladder issues which is why i reccomended the other options.

there are better calories then "milk calories". you waqnt to add another 200 calories?

milk is not the be all end all people

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i think someone heres gotta lil grudge against milk...

anyway, drink the whole milk. im sorry but saying not to is just a bad arguement. theres nothing behind it.

milk fat is good fat. hes on a bulk. end of story

lets talk about the rest of what he said now, the arguement about the milk fat shouldnt even have been brought up because there is no argument there
yea milk fat is good fat there are other good fats,

i even said heavy cream works, i was merely giving options but every one thinks milk is be all end all

I dont have a grudge against milk my ass does,

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
yea milk fat is good fat there are other good fats,

i even said heavy cream works, i was merely giving options but every one thinks milk is be all end all

I dont have a grudge against milk my ass does,

no one ever said milk is the end all be all. that was never even implied. what was implied was by using whole milk you get MORE good fats and more calories. if he drinks a few glasses of milk a day then if he changes it to whole milk he gets EVEN MORE calories. when your on a bulk its all about calories. i dont have a milk allergy and i only know a hand full of people who do. this thread isnt about milk. hes on a bulk so drink whole milk.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
the underlying point is....calories.
doesn't matter if he used cow, goat, or soy milk. or he can skip right to cream if he really wants calories.
he can plug his ingredients into fitday.com and see how many calories each shake is, then figure out how many total he takes in a day and adjust upwards until the pounds start to pile on.
i use whole milk in mine plus olive oil or cream. mine work out to about 1100 cals each. now thats a bulking shake. 2-3/day do me good.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
the underlying point is....calories.
doesn't matter if he used cow, goat, or soy milk. or he can skip right to cream if he really wants calories.
he can plug his ingredients into fitday.com and see how many calories each shake is, then figure out how many total he takes in a day and adjust upwards until the pounds start to pile on.
i use whole milk in mine plus olive oil or cream. mine work out to about 1100 cals each. now thats a bulking shake. 2-3/day do me good.
i use goat milk in my shakes. and what of this cream you speak of? is it delicious??

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is what i use twice a day

whole milk
1 and 1/2 cups of oats
1 banana
2 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
2 eggs
2 scoops of nitrocore 24
flaxseed
once in a while i will add in berries and stuff for taste and more cals
2 spoon fulls of vanilla yogurt

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i use goat milk in my shakes. and what of this cream you speak of? is it delicious??
cream! whipping cream, pure cream. however its labeled. i buy quarts at Sams club and run through them, along with 1/2 gal bottles of extra light OO.
:D

the OO really makes the shakes heavy, the cream makes them sweet and frothy.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no one ever said milk is the end all be all. that was never even implied. what was implied was by using whole milk you get MORE good fats and more calories. if he drinks a few glasses of milk a day then if he changes it to whole milk he gets EVEN MORE calories. when your on a bulk its all about calories. i dont have a milk allergy and i only know a hand full of people who do. this thread isnt about milk. hes on a bulk so drink whole milk.
you realize a serving of nut butter is more calories then a cup of milk right?

and its good fats too

and you realize a handful of walnuts in between meals is even better then milk inbetween meals,

your right CALORIES

both a serving of raw nuts or nut butter have more calories then milk!

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards

oh and what i bolded, isnt true, formula was based around what breast milk has. and Milk being a source of calcium, is why its promoted so heavily, as a Nation relying on processed food, Calcium intake has dropped severly. While growing calcium is importand for bones and much more thats just one example obviously. As people age their ability to digest the Milk and Milk proteins becomes harder, hence Lactose intolerance

also breast milk is best due to the amount of colostrum in it to help with growth, caloric intake ect.

sorry, i may lose more weight drinking it from all the pissing out my ass ill be doing.

Fat your right wont bother him, unless he has gall bladder issues which is why i reccomended the other options.

there are better calories then "milk calories". you waqnt to add another 200 calories?

Obviously YOU missed a lot of what I said...

I said what's the next best option BESIDES breat milk for babies...good ol' cow's milk. Why would you assume he has gall bladder issues??

Sorry you're so bitter towards milk for whatever reason. You can have your handful of walnuts and cups of rice milk. The rest of us will just opt to drink straight from the udder and continue to get bigger and stronger!

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
good point....my wife tends to hit peanut butter and nuts for her snacks/extra calories. i however just dont like their taste, so i look elsewhere. things like cheese, milk, salami

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Obviously YOU missed a lot of what I said...

I said what's the next best option BESIDES breat milk for babies...good ol' cow's milk. Why would you assume he has gall bladder issues??

Sorry you're so bitter towards milk for whatever reason. You can have your handful of walnuts and cups of rice milk. The rest of us will just opt to drink straight from the udder and continue to get bigger and stronger!
LOL cows milk isnt actually the next best for babies, but OK

im not assuming i was relating the fact that you said to much fat is bad, or something to that effect , or too much fat wont hurt him, i said it would IF theres gall bladder issues,

EITHER WAY

what i say still stands IMO, you should try it,

i try and stay gluten free and lactose free, body composition is MUCH better when removing them from diet

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
good point....my wife tends to hit peanut butter and nuts for her snacks/extra calories. i however just dont like their taste, so i look elsewhere. things like cheese, milk, salami
Yea if you can do it do it, i was merely giving options

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cream! whipping cream, pure cream. however its labeled. i buy quarts at Sams club and run through them, along with 1/2 gal bottles of extra light OO.
:D

the OO really makes the shakes heavy, the cream makes them sweet and frothy.
a serving almond butter, with a serving EVOO, in shake is AWESOME

i used to do shots of olive oil with each meal when bulking which is 30g fat per shot.

that really helped calories

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established

and its good fats too

and you realize a handful of walnuts in between meals is even better then milk inbetween meals,

your right CALORIES

your acting as if you should eat nuts or peanut butter instead of milk.

you are wrong we are saying eat them both. i get you cant drink it, but we all can so we are going to drink up. you are missing the point.. it was whatever at first but know im starting to doubt your knowledge. not advocating whole milk for an able bodied person who can drink it? rediculous

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL cows milk isnt actually the next best for babies, but OK

im not assuming i was relating the fact that you said to much fat is bad, or something to that effect , or too much fat wont hurt him, i said it would IF theres gall bladder issues,

EITHER WAY

what i say still stands IMO, you should try it,

i try and stay gluten free and lactose free, body composition is MUCH better when removing them from diet

go ahead and eat like a squirrel while us real body builders keep doing what we are doing that has been working for us during bulk. sure we eat almonds and natty butter, but u cant replace milk. lemme guess what ur next tip for bulking is....eating salad instead of chicken? oh, with almonds. cant forget that

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
go ahead and eat like a squirrel while us real body builders keep doing what we are doing that has been working for us during bulk. sure we eat almonds and natty butter, but u cant replace milk. lemme guess what ur next tip for bulking is....eating salad instead of chicken? oh, with almonds. cant forget that
not even going to go there,:booty:

milks very replacable

enjoy it,

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm...and all your items arent? whats your problem with milk??? and dont even go there will gall bladder issues. i work in the med field. he didnt even say anything about gall bladder issues that i saw. many things are good from milk. the amt of calcium that should be consumed daily is around 900 mg give or take 100 or so. most americans fall short of that. an extra glass of milk can fill the void. calcium may even lower the risk of high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. calcium is also the number one mineral that, on average, we lack in our diet daily. what can fix that? milk. calcium deficiency can lead to hypertension(high blood pressure). what can fix that? milk. i could go on for hours man. if u want more examples ill keep going. and dont say "oh, u can just take a multi vitamin or a calcium pill". calcium pills are mainly for ppl who are lactose intolerant.(cant drink milk because they are allergic to lactose, the sugar in milk) or for ppl who need more. but for the average joe, milk is what u need for many things in the body

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hmm...and all your items arent? whats your problem with milk??? and dont even go there will gall bladder issues. i work in the med field. he didnt even say anything about gall bladder issues that i saw. many things are good from milk. the amt of calcium that should be consumed daily is around 900 mg give or take 100 or so. most americans fall short of that. an extra glass of milk can fill the void. calcium may even lower the risk of high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. calcium is also the number one mineral that, on average, we lack in our diet daily. what can fix that? milk. calcium deficiency can lead to hypertension(high blood pressure). what can fix that? milk. i could go on for hours man. if u want more examples ill keep going. and dont say "oh, u can just take a multi vitamin or a calcium pill". calcium pills are mainly for ppl who are lactose intolerant.(cant drink milk because they are allergic to lactose, the sugar in milk) or for ppl who need more. but for the average joe, milk is what u need for many things in the body
lol i stated that,

and i refered to gall bladder isues because someone mentioned something about him and the fat consumed you may have misread it.

i dont have a problem w milk as i stated my ASS DOES

PS protein shakes provide calcium

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

this was a responce to another statement that i will bold

and its good fats too

your right CALORIES

your acting as if you should eat nuts or peanut butter instead of milk.

you are wrong we are saying eat them both. i get you cant drink it, but we all can so we are going to drink up. you are missing the point.. it was whatever at first but know im starting to doubt your knowledge. not advocating whole milk for an able bodied person who can drink it? rediculous
instead of milk? i am not necessarily saying dont drink it, im merely stating BETTER options that will and can result in those calories that are needed on a bulk,[/U]
lol i stated that,

and i refered to gall bladder isues because someone mentioned something about him and the fat consumed you may have misread it.

i dont have a problem w milk as i stated my ASS DOES

PS protein shakes provide calcium
last qoute was in relation to the guy in the "med feild"

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you do not want people to come in here who cannot drink milk or have celiac or UC, to think they cant bulk without it.

your making it sound like a staple when it is not

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
IT IS A STAPLE FOR THOSE WHO CAN DRINK IT

This thread is becoming obnoxious

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
IT IS A STAPLE FOR THOSE WHO CAN DRINK IT

This thread is becoming obnoxious
yea it is becomin obnoxious,

but there are 2 kinds of allergys,

one to the proteins in milk bc it provides so many and another to the lactose,

Not ideal for babies,

a QUICK google scholar search gives me 3-5 pages of how cows milk may affect the developing child,

but whatever,

goats milk, help milk, almond milk, rice milk, All alternatives for people bulking who cannot have cows milk.

they all serve purpose and if you need the calories you can get them various ways.

for some its milk,
others its something else

Ill really suggest to all the guys who highly reccommended the whole milk, to try to go without it for 1 month, and get those added calories from walnuts, macadamia nuts, and almonds

See how you like it, if its about calories thats where its at.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
your taking the baby comment way to serious and you keep talking about allergies. we do NOT have allergies to milk. we also eat almonds and other nuts but we also drink whole milk so were getting even more calories than just eating the nuts. you dont understand, you dont get it, you keep bringing up unrelavant things about babies and allergies. we are getting more calories from drinking milk IN ADDITION TO OUR DIETS.

i actually cannot believe i am having this discussion. this is so elementary and basic. am i awake, is this a dream or am i really being told to take milk out of my diet. im sorry but thats just idiotic

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
also, if thats you in your avatar then my point is proven by our physiques. mine with milk, yours without. i dont want to turn this into an attack at you personally i havent looked like that since middle school.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
also, if thats you in your avatar then my point is proven by our physiques. mine with milk, yours without. i dont want to turn this into an attack at you personally i havent looked like that since middle school.
i was at 236 and 18% but 18% is a little fat (ok pretty fat)
now i am not
your at 245 and 21% supposedly according to you (and 21% by most standards, is pretty fat)

apparently your milk added some nasty weight

no disrespect man, this is the internet i can care less,

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established

Drink organic non pasteurized whole milk straight from the cow which has enzymes to break down the lactose already in it and every lactose intolerant person in the world can drink it. No access to your own cow you say? There are those that will deliver. =)

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Drink organic non pasteurized whole milk straight from the cow which has enzymes to break down the lactose already in it and every lactose intolerant person in the world can drink it. No access to your own cow you say? There are those that will deliver. =)
awesome

and yes i did say take milk out of your diet, watch how your physique changes

whatever im really over this, after the arguement started , i kept posting bc i felt it was funny, and you kept getting more annoyed and mad,

then made personal attacks.... like i said idc ,do what you want with your 21% bodyfat,

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i see you changed your pic, not for the better i might add.

it wasnt an attack at you, it was a comparisson. you can call me fat all you want if it makes you feel better. out of my 80 pound gain, 30 of it was solid muslce, went from 170 to 250, 250 at 21%=190 lbm, 202.5 at 6 % and solid i might add when im done. milk, milk, milk, thank you milk.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
did i say i love milk?

thank you milk, you and your milk fats have done so much for me. ever since i brought you home in your gallon sized jug i new it was love at first sight.

this is stupid. note to everyone, drink your milk

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
awesome

and yes i did say take milk out of your diet, watch how your physique changes

whatever im really over this, after the arguement started , i kept posting bc i felt it was funny, and you kept getting more annoyed and mad,

then made personal attacks.... like i said idc ,do what you want with your 21% bodyfat,
Huh? This was my first post on this topic...What I said was true btw. Its scientific fact.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Huh? This was my first post on this topic...What I said was true btw. Its scientific fact.
no i understand what you said, lol, i believe jamaica does what you stated, which is the only milk i can drinkw no issues

aklthough havent had it in like 2 years

the rest was to the milkman

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for me, it is a staple actually and i know alot of ppl who feel the same way. when i mix my shakes, i use milk to bulk. when i cut, i use water or skim milk. if it goes straight to your a$$ or whatever then dont drink whole milk. but dont be coming telling somebody trying to bulk to not drink it. what are the better options than milk then? i dont understand ur logic at all. when u make cereal as a snack at night or something, its good to have the cals. i sure as hell wont make cereal with water.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Awesome. Idc

Bc I'm lean. But to each his own man

Oh and I'm 192 :)

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
for me, it is a staple actually and i know alot of ppl who feel the same way. when i mix my shakes, i use milk to bulk. when i cut, i use water or skim milk. if it goes straight to your a$$ or whatever then dont drink whole milk. but dont be coming telling somebody trying to bulk to not drink it. what are the better options than milk then? i dont understand ur logic at all. when u make cereal as a snack at night or something, its good to have the cals. i sure as hell wont make cereal with water.
It doesn't go straight to my ass it makes me piss out my ass lol

And a serving of macadamia nuts has more calories then a serving of milk

Oh when I make cereal at night I make a vanilla or chocolate protein shake and pour it into the cereal and put pb on the side

Cheerios w chocolate protein and pb is heaven

And a serving of pb has more calories too.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
you do not want people to come in here who cannot drink milk or have celiac or UC, to think they cant bulk without it.

your making it sound like a staple when it is not
Exactly.

I havent read this whole thread but the argument that we need milk to grow is bogus and so is the comparison to breast milk.

Breast milk has a huge factor that separates it from milk we buy at the store... It's RAW. Once you pasturize milk a lot of the benefits are killed. If you want the real benefits from milk buy RAW milk.

Now, thats not to say it cant come in handy while bulking simply due to it's caloric content. But dont fool yourself into thinking it pasturized milk has the same benefits of RAW milk.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
i was at 236 and 18% but 18% is a little fat (ok pretty fat)
now i am not
your at 245 and 21% supposedly according to you (and 21% by most standards, is pretty fat)

apparently your milk added some nasty weight

no disrespect man, this is the internet i can care less,
If you want to start comparing...I drink about one gallon a day. Half of that comes from straight chocolate milk...that's 1700 calories a day from chocolate milk by itself. I'm 5'11, about 212-215 and I have abs year round. Don't know and don't care what my BF is, but it's pretty low and I drink milk like it's going out of style. Milk does not automatically make you fat. Get off your anti-milk highhorse. You can't drink it, the rest of us can and will. I'm not saying to not eat nuts, berries, twigs, sprouts, and whatever else you advocate. I eat lots of almonds and tons of peanut butter, but I drink milk too. If I had to lose something from my diet, I'd give up my peanut butter and almonds way before I'd ever let go of milk.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
Exactly.

I havent read this whole thread but the argument that we need milk to grow is bogus and so is the comparison to breast milk.

Breast milk has a huge factor that separates it from milk we buy at the store... It's RAW. Once you pasturize milk a lot of the benefits are killed. If you want the real benefits from milk buy RAW milk.

Now, thats not to say it cant come in handy while bulking simply due to it's caloric content. But dont fool yourself into thinking it pasturized milk has the same benefits of RAW milk.
I never directly compared breast milk to cow's milk. And we're not saying it's impossible to grow without milk, but it sure makes putting on size easier for MOST, perhaps not all but most, of us that are able to drink it.

Lord Almighty, it's like we've pissed off the milk nazis! LOL! I've never had such a spirited debate over milk! :duel: