HELP WITH KEEPING SIZE AFTER SURGERY

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.54%

HELP WITH KEEPING SIZE AFTER SURGERY

i'm having surgery for my hiatal hernia on christmas week and i will be unable to lift weights for nearly a month according to my doctor and i will also have to only eat soft foods such as mashed potatos (and protein shakes ). what would you guys recommend i do to keep from dropping from 180 to like 160 in that month?? thanks for any responses guys

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Casein protien cottage cheese is a cheap alt. Will keep catabolism at bay
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.27%

I believe I had read a article saying that if you like break a leg or something take creatine, and it will aid towards keeping muscle mass while inactive.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.56%

I had some surgery on my elbow a few weeks back and I planned on stuffing myself with food to keep the weight. I did lose a few pounds in the first two weeks and I don't want to get on the scales now .

I just lost appetite and motivation for a while, meal plans went non-existent. I think anything invasive will upset the body for a while as it thinks something bad has happened. At least lying around in bed watching TV doesn't use many calories.

It would have been good to try creatine but I didn't think.

Everyone is different though, I hope your operation goes well.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.45%
    Achievements Posting Pro

creatine aint gonna do anything noticable at all. Its not really a big deal losing twenty pounds. I just had knee surgery after tearing my acl in our first week of the season and went from 250-205. I honestly would not have tried to maintain my weight as ure just gonna get fat.

Take the big hit and muscle memory and food will get you back there. Think of it as a cut. Ure gonna look and feel like crap if you maintain. Lifting aint a sprint but a marathon, best of luck.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.54%

alright well thanks for the input guys. i'll just keep my protein intake high and keep the fats and carbs moderate..i have some hand grippers so i'll be using those alot lol.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.56%

Quote Originally Posted by WILL DA BEAST View Post
    i have some hand grippers so i'll be using those alot lol.
    That's what I've been doing since I can't bend my arm properly yet. Plus I bought a head-harness to keep myself entertained training my neck .
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

Quote Originally Posted by pavb10 View Post
    creatine aint gonna do anything noticable at all. .
    Not true, there was a study on it. forget the specifics but it does help with mass retention

I will be reading up on this subject soon as I plan to have gyno surgery and refuse to lose mass for the gyno I got to get that mass.

Some mechanisms:

1. Boost GH levels - Heal faster

2. Cortisol reduction/modulation - Personally I would avoid this until some healing has taken place. Maybe the last 2 weeks

3. If you dabble in Ph/Ps then a light couple weeks of a nor based ph, no more than the first 2 weeks post surgery should greating increase collogen synthesis I.E. Heal faster and keep mass. But keep it short/

4. Natural inflammation reduction using serrapeptase - Well proven but would wait till initial bleeding went down after a couple days. Probably after you stop the pain meds should be fine. It also theoretically should help with scar tissue as it forms.

5. Questionable anabolics that might help - Glutamine (for sick or healing it should work), cissus - anti-i and possible light anabolic, creatine (I think science suggests it will)

Rack your brain - Post surgery is one time to stretch your budget to get back on your feet - I will be doing more thinking when I get mine done
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.54%

Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    Not true, there was a study on it. forget the specifics but it does help with mass retention

I will be reading up on this subject soon as I plan to have gyno surgery and refuse to lose mass for the gyno I got to get that mass.

Some mechanisms:

1. Boost GH levels - Heal faster

2. Cortisol reduction/modulation - Personally I would avoid this until some healing has taken place. Maybe the last 2 weeks

3. If you dabble in Ph/Ps then a light couple weeks of a nor based ph, no more than the first 2 weeks post surgery should greating increase collogen synthesis I.E. Heal faster and keep mass. But keep it short/

4. Natural inflammation reduction using serrapeptase - Well proven but would wait till initial bleeding went down after a couple days. Probably after you stop the pain meds should be fine. It also theoretically should help with scar tissue as it forms.

5. Questionable anabolics that might help - Glutamine (for sick or healing it should work), cissus - anti-i and possible light anabolic, creatine (I think science suggests it will)

Rack your brain - Post surgery is one time to stretch your budget to get back on your feet - I will be doing more thinking when I get mine done
    I'll add some creatine and glutamine in with my nutraplanet order now just to be safe

and i'll use this time to rest and relax and probably get a jump start on planning my new cut diet and such after i get back to where i am now before the surgery. good news though, i had my upper endoscopy today and it's a small hernia so they will be able to perform noninvasive surgery.

i guess injuries and accidents are part of lifting weights. good luck with your surgery bro keep it up!! i'm ur height and hoping to get to ur size one day!
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

i have an embilical hernia i need to get fixed. You have to remember, drs. are always very very very conservative in their directions for not doing certain things. There is no way, you should have to go a month without training. I have read, you are back to work in a few days, doing pretty normal things in about a week. I plan on taking no more than 2 weeks off. remember just do some slow concentrated movements. no big squats. i had surgery on my right tricep last year, 95% tear of my tricep tendon, it blew out doing incline presses in the smith machine. i took one week off, was in the gym, cast and all. i was just careful not to hurt the elbow. you take you're time and just do what you can do. But, trust me, don't go by the dr and his month recommendations.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.57%

cissus is supposed to have proven healing properties...might not help you hold on to your gains, but it would help you heal faster and get back on the road.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.54%

Quote Originally Posted by mightyconan View Post
    i have an embilical hernia i need to get fixed. You have to remember, drs. are always very very very conservative in their directions for not doing certain things. There is no way, you should have to go a month without training. I have read, you are back to work in a few days, doing pretty normal things in about a week. I plan on taking no more than 2 weeks off. remember just do some slow concentrated movements. no big squats. i had surgery on my right tricep last year, 95% tear of my tricep tendon, it blew out doing incline presses in the smith machine. i took one week off, was in the gym, cast and all. i was just careful not to hurt the elbow. you take you're time and just do what you can do. But, trust me, don't go by the dr and his month recommendations.
    yea i agree. my mom tells me the doc said to eat only liquids for two weeks..then begin eating soft foods at 4 weeks...then introduce normal food at 6 weeks..FUK DAT!! i'll take it easy and keep away from spicy/hot/hard to digest foods for a while but i'm not hoping to be out for more than a few weeks. it'll probably be a while before i'm back to squatting heavy again for fear of aggravating it...but i have the surgery a week from tomorrow. can't wait to get back to normal!
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

Quote Originally Posted by WILL DA BEAST View Post
    yea i agree. my mom tells me the doc said to eat only liquids for two weeks..then begin eating soft foods at 4 weeks...then introduce normal food at 6 weeks..FUK DAT!! i'll take it easy and keep away from spicy/hot/hard to digest foods for a while but i'm not hoping to be out for more than a few weeks. it'll probably be a while before i'm back to squatting heavy again for fear of aggravating it...but i have the surgery a week from tomorrow. can't wait to get back to normal!
    Man I know its not the same but I feel my gyno and I am scared of the time off.

Good luck!
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.87%

why have surgery for a hiatal hernia?
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.54%

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    why have surgery for a hiatal hernia?
    the hernia caused horrible acid reflux/GERD. i would wake up every morning and dry heave before and after i ate breakfast. once i got moving around and burping it felt better but when i lifted in the gym i would get a choking sensation in my throat and it was especially bad on leg, chest, and shoulder days. i lost about twenty lbs my first semester of college when it was really bad. i got back up to around 190 a month or so ago, but it started acting up again really bad and i dropped down to 178 over the last month and a half or so. so basically i got tired of messing with it and feeling like **** ya kno.

but i had my surgery this past monday the 28th. and i've felt like crap since then! it hurts sooooooo bad to eat anything even water! when it gets to my stomach area i feel like somebody is punching out of my abdomen. hopefully it works though as i haven't been gagging or anything lately. it's been two days though and i'm dosed up on lortabs now....we'll see i'll keep updating for anybody who is looking to get this surgery in the future
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.87%

^^ good luck on the recovery!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 07:35 AM
  2. Keeping strength = keeping muscle?