Too much milk a problem? - AnabolicMinds.com

Too much milk a problem?

  1. New Member
    DJ Threat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    66

    Reputation

    Too much milk a problem?


    5'11 185 lbs 23 yrs old.
    *****WANT TO GAIN AT LEAST 10 LBS LEAN MUSCLE FROM CYCLE****
    6 WEEKS - 50/50/75/75/75/75

    Whats up? I am currently 4 days in on a H-drol cycle and im eating super clean. Im trying to get around 4000 calories in a day with 360 grams of protein while keeping total grams of fat intake under or around 30 grams. Ive been doing pretty good but i recently had a talk with a guy from the gym who is in real good shape and he told me to cut out all the milk(skim nonfat milk) i was drinking because its not good to drink as much as i have been. (around 3/4 gallon to a full gallon a day-including mixing it with 3 to 4 shakes a day). well my major problem is since i cut all the extra milk out my days have been looking more like 3200 calories or so with 300-320 grams of protein and still keeping the fat around 30 grams or so. IS TOO MUCH MILK BAD EVEN IF ITS SKIM MILK OR CAN I DRINK AWAY???

  2. New Member
    deadliftinkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    62

    Reputation

    I have heard similar things from guys at my gym too, most of which avoid dairy as much as possible.

    As far as the reasons why, there is more sugar than protein.

    Me personally, I drink atleast 32 oz of whole milk a day, preferbally when I wake up and with my Post workout drink. But, I am going for size and strength.



    If your trying to keep it lean, keep the milk minimal
  3. New Member
    DJ Threat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    66

    Reputation

    thanks man, i appreciate your input! come on guys, i need some more info!
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17049

    Reputation

    The sugars obviously aren't ideal in a situation for cutting, but if you're looking to add mass and its a calorie sink for you - then drink up.

    Personally, I'm not very sensitive to sugars being converted into fat. I have about a cup and a half of 1% milk per day in my protein shakes, mainly because I like the consistancy and the taste better than water.
  5. New Member
    vpower's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    I have heard similar things...If your really needing to up your calories..maybe throw some macadamien nuts in the mix and olive oil the sh1t out of your cooking pans. Just an idea, Im a big milk fan so I dont think I could ever give it up...more power to ya!
  6. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17049

    Reputation

    Cutting milk sugar would be one of those things I would cut out last for fine tuning. If you can't get lean with a cup of milk in your diet - you're just probably not working hard enough.
  7. New Member
    DJ Threat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    66

    Reputation

    i understand where you guys are coming from with the milk sugar and what not. BUT! did you guys see how much milk ive been drinking? we arent talking a few cups we are talking like at least a half gallon a day and up to a gallon if you include the milk i drink with my protein shakes! is the amount im drinkin a big problem? or is it gonna help me gain mass more than gain fat? im all about gaining size right now!
  8. New Member
    matt352's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261
    Rep Power
    276

    Reputation

    if you are all about gaining size...then dont worry about the milk...i've been drinking about half gallon or more a day for a while now and it has done nothing but good. I mostly drink it in between meals with some natural peanut butter, and I drink whole or 2%. Drinking that much is gonna add some fat so figure out what your goals are and either drink on or just lower your intake. Since you are about the same stats as me I would say you can afford to keep milk in your diet. JMO but it has def helped me gain size.
  9. New Member
    Fatal Wisdom's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    274

    Reputation

    You have to gain some fat to gain mass, it's pretty much unavoidable..you can clean bulk all you cant but you're not looking at much size gain, personally I like to leave the two seperate regimens, cutting and bulking, with seperate practices, if im going to bulk, im going to bulk, I remember reading an article somewhere that if you want to bulk, drink as much milk as possible..something about how many hormones the cows are pumped with lol, but regardless you're looking at easy calories, 4 scoops of peanut butter and two glasses of milk you're looking at 500+ cals
  10. New Member
    rckvl7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    256

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Wisdom View Post
    You have to gain some fat to gain mass, it's pretty much unavoidable..you can clean bulk all you cant but you're not looking at much size gain, personally I like to leave the two seperate regimens, cutting and bulking, with seperate practices, if im going to bulk, im going to bulk, I remember reading an article somewhere that if you want to bulk, drink as much milk as possible..something about how many hormones the cows are pumped with lol, but regardless you're looking at easy calories, 4 scoops of peanut butter and two glasses of milk you're looking at 500+ cals
    This. Milk for bulking is great, especially whole milk. I drink 3/4 a gallon of whole milk a day along with the massive amount of food I eat. Don't worry about some of the extra fat you gain, cut it later.
  11. New Member
    nygreenz92's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    68

    Reputation

    isn't it bad to drink milkshake after a workout since it digests slower?
    i would try mixing post w/o drink with water.
  12. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17049

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nygreenz92 View Post
    isn't it bad to drink milkshake after a workout since it digests slower?
    i would try mixing post w/o drink with water.
    Fat would slow absorbtion and digestion... not a big deal though. You're micromanaging.
  13. Advanced Member
    BingeAndPurge's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    36
    Posts
    748
    Rep Power
    525

    Reputation

    If you google milk or dairy and weight loss, you'll find conflicting info on both. A lot of press the past few years gears towards studies suggesting the nutrients in milk aid in weight loss, namely the calcium. If bulking and a high calorie diet is your goal though, what's the big deal?

    I also came across this a while ago:

    http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-sq...n-gain-weight/
  14. New Member
    DJ Threat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    66

    Reputation

    cool.. good info, i appreciate it.. i understand where u guys are comin from on the why am i worried about gaining fat if im bulking but obviously my main goal is to gain mass but if i can cut down on the fat gain a little than great!
  15. Senior Member
    LilPsychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    901

    Reputation

    I drink whole milk on a bulk for extra cals, but very little to none on a cut because of all of the sugars.
  16. New Member
    dave12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    254

    Reputation

    You are too young for hdrol and milk is good for bulking. Fat carbs and protein.
  17. Senior Member
    thaOrleanyte's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    9106

    Reputation

    if someone tells you to cut out milk, espeacially in a bulk, punch them in the ear/neck/face/groin region
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  18. Advanced Member
    CaponeCEO's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    457

    Reputation

    Whole milk is your best friend on a bulk. You are on a BULK!!! When your cycle is over and you hit your ideal weight then you CUT!!! Whole milk is what I have always drank in large amounts when I bulk. Milk is a slow (relatively) absorbing protein, so you can have it post workout and especially pre bed. After your workout I would def make sure you have some whey because your body needs protein fast and whey spikes quick. Also dont forget that you should be doing some cardio during a bulk usually LI (low intensity). If your stomach starts to round off then up the cardio to slightly higher and keep up with the milk and the diet.
  19. New Member
    manny1519's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    79

    Reputation

    I take a disgestion aid when drinking a lot of milk called lactase. It seriously helps break down that enzyme so your body absorbs more of its nutrient. Would be seriously ideal for you.
  20. New Member
    Diesel Dan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    73

    Reputation

    I started out drinking 2 glasses of whole milk before bed because of what my friend suggested.
    Then we started drinking milk with every meal.
    A friend who I met at college told me I should be drinking skim milk because whole milk has too much fat.
    I did that for a while and said EFF that!! Now I drink 3 glasses of 2% milk with EVERY meal and whenever I need a quick snack I drink some 2%. Also before bed I deff drink alot of it....BIG jug of milk I dirnk that and all the glasses with the meals each day.

    So I know where you are coming from...

    I too am on an H-drol bulk cycle....but check it out bro...we can get "fat" whilst bulking because in order to gain mass and weight and size you need a SURPLUS of calories.
    I feel 2% has some fat which is necessary but not too much, 1% milk is nasty to me I'd rather drink skim.

    But back on topic...we are bulking and not naturally...so therefore what we can do with/to our bodies is on a whole different plane with the average person who wants to get "bigger" or leaner or both. We get big and fat and jacked then we continue with our pharmecutical knowledge to lose a ridiculous amount of body fat while keeping maximum muscle mass in a shortened period of time in comparison with Natural gym-goers
  21. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17049

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
    I started out drinking 2 glasses of whole milk before bed because of what my friend suggested.
    Then we started drinking milk with every meal.
    A friend who I met at college told me I should be drinking skim milk because whole milk has too much fat.
    I did that for a while and said EFF that!! Now I drink 3 glasses of 2% milk with EVERY meal and whenever I need a quick snack I drink some 2%. Also before bed I deff drink alot of it....BIG jug of milk I dirnk that and all the glasses with the meals each day.

    So I know where you are coming from...

    I too am on an H-drol bulk cycle....but check it out bro...we can get "fat" whilst bulking because in order to gain mass and weight and size you need a SURPLUS of calories.
    I feel 2% has some fat which is necessary but not too much, 1% milk is nasty to me I'd rather drink skim.

    But back on topic...we are bulking and not naturally...so therefore what we can do with/to our bodies is on a whole different plane with the average person who wants to get "bigger" or leaner or both. We get big and fat and jacked then we continue with our pharmecutical knowledge to lose a ridiculous amount of body fat while keeping maximum muscle mass in a shortened period of time in comparison with Natural gym-goers
    This post just cost me approximately 15 IQ points.
  22. New Member
    Diesel Dan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    73

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TimberLakers View Post
    This post just cost me approximately 15 IQ points.
    lucky you got plenty to spare
  23. Elite Member
    TimberLakers's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,388
    Rep Power
    17049

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
    lucky you got plenty to spare

    Agreed.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Milk substitute cheaper than muscle milk?
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
  2. Does almond milk contain triglycerides like coconut milk?
    By schwellington in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. Almond milk vs Soy milk Questions?
    By Colochine in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in