good MUSCLE to Fat gain RATIO?

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
ok so as ive been reading on these forums, everyone is concerned with gaining lean muscle while minimizing fat gain; which makes sense. so now i am wondering what is considered a good muscle to fat gain ratio.

for example i competed in june @150lbs @ 3% bf, today i weigh 179lbs @ 9% bf.. would that be considered gaining alot of fat too quickly? hoiw long would it ideally take for bf to raise 1% ?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I'm not really sure... but in early June i weighed 193 at 5-6%.... now i weigh 212-214 ish... at 8-9 percent. so similiar to you... but this is with no cardio at all except basketball on saturday nights.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
yeh i went from a 1800 cal deit and 2 hrs of cardio a day to a 3500 cal a day diet and no cardio what so ever.. i feel like were both on the right track lol.. how high will u left ur bf go before u start cutting again

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
the last time I cut down I think I was around 6-7%, but that's just judging from pictures.

anyway, that was around january at my leanest. Now it's august and I've gained a solid 10.5 lbs, and I think my bodyfat is about 9-11%

I did a very very very clean bulk, so that is about 0.75% bodyfat increase per month, while I was gaining about 1lb a month of total weight.

at least for me, I think that's the cleanest I can bulk, and I mean clean as I cheat more when i was dieting than when I bulked since when i'm bulking I don't see the need to cheat since I don't have higher carb days, and I also am above maintenance daily.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
when i'm bulking I don't see the need to cheat since I don't have higher carb days, and I also am above maintenance daily.
yeah i am finding that out hte hard way... when i was dieting i would have a rediculous cheat meal and stil lose weight. i treid doin that while bulking and have been gainin 2lbs of fat after a single meal. prob due to consistantly having high cals.. gotta stop with those meals.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
yeah i am finding that out hte hard way... when i was dieting i would have a rediculous cheat meal and stil lose weight. i treid doin that while bulking and have been gainin 2lbs of fat after a single meal. prob due to consistantly having high cals.. gotta stop with those meals.
ya i agree entirely with that. Those cheat meals felt great and would hold me over for quite some time, while serving the purpose of boosting metabolism and keeping me mentally sane, even happy!

now i'm realize bulking really sucks if you want to be clean about it, because when you are dieting the light at the end of the tunnel is more calories, some cheat meals, etc.

when you are bulking you have only to look forward to cutting?

btw, 2lbs in one meal?? salt, water retention perhaps?

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
I read that low carb diets were real bad for brain function and can result in memory loss hehe.

Ah man screw a lean bulk! the whole fun part of bulking is dominating whenever you can.

I'm recomping from my first real cut from 183 probably 12 percent BF to 147 around 7 percent, im back up to 154 im probably around 8.5 percent..and will probably hit 14 percent on my glorious road to the big 200 lol

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
did a low carb while studying for during finals....Aced them....didnt effect my memory in the least

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok thats a really good read but it still doesnt explain why i was able to perform at a heightened cognitive level during a stressful period.

Remember memory is not one thing....there are actually many kinds of memory and they work through different pathways of the brain. And everyone is different. Carbs make me sluggish and can hinder my performance. And deer meat is quite lean....doesnt have much fat to it if i recall correctly...not the ideal keto meal especially if thats all you eat.

Im not saying carbs are bad....but i just dont think its fair to say keto diets make u stupid. Now the lack of glucose can lead to possible working memory difficulties when first deprived but once the body becomes acclimated there is no reason working memory should be effected anymore.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
10 pounds a day?! jesus lol.

And gohard, yeah I didnt mean to sound like NO CARBS U ARE RETARD!!! I was just stating i read it can impair brain function haha

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
dont worry about it, it just sounded real negative when you said "I read that low carb diets were real bad for brain function and can result in memory loss hehe."

And the area in which i believe can possibly be affected it working memory which is the 30-second to 1 minute time span where you may use to remember a number before jotting it down. I believe a low carb diet wont have an overall decrease in cognitive function seeing as doctors use it as a tool for diabetics of many ages.

And 9% bodyfat at any weight i would consider a good ratio

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
haha if you didnt you wouldnt be a LIFTER!!!

If you keep lean bulking and stay at around 9% you'll be set

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
yeh too bad im now @ 11% i just found out that u cant have the same type of cheat meals during bulkig like u do during cutting. and yeah i found it out the hard way..

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well you gotta learn some way right?

You gonna do a cut? I take it you're more of a bodybuilder then powerlifter?

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
Well you gotta learn some way right?

You gonna do a cut? I take it you're more of a bodybuilder then powerlifter?
ima bulk till feb or i hit 18% bf whichever happens first. then cut down 5% and start all over again. and yeah def a bodybuilder.. u a power lifter?

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
One day when i grow and become a man and move some man weight ill call myself a powerlifter

Till then im just a lifter

18% dont u think thats a bit high to start cutting? Seems like it will be one hell of a cut if you got from 18% to 5%

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
ha yeahh its a little high for sure but i dont like to jump back and forth between bulking and cutting that often i usually stick to one or the otehr for like 6 months but we'll c... and na once i cut carbs and thro in some cardio i drop weight pretty quick shouldnt take more than 4 months max

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
sounds good then

Good luck and keep us posted!

GetSwoll

GetSwoll

Banned
Awards
Why does everyone care about fat gain during a bulk? Lean bulks suck and your gains are weak. Do an all out bulk, then cut. Too easy.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
because fat is ugly....haha

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
yeah idont care about fat gain, i just care about EXCESSIVE fat gain. no reason to jump bf%'s quicklly but lettign it get on the higher side isnt a big deal

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
Why does everyone care about fat gain during a bulk? Lean bulks suck and your gains are weak. Do an all out bulk, then cut. Too easy.
what would u let urself getup to before u started cutting

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I think a 2:1 ratio is really good. Last september I was 190 and about 8-9 %. I then bulked from sept-may and got up to 220. After I cut back down I am now about 210, 10% or so. So in a 30lb gain, about 18-20 was muscle, I was pretty happy with that. Since my shoulder injury I have softened up a bit though.

GetSwoll

GetSwoll

Banned
Awards
what would u let urself getup to before u started cutting
I dont base it on that. i base it on time frames. I got up to 17% BF this winter/spring during an Anadrol/Tren/Test cycle. I was the strongest i ever was and certainly the largest.

I didnt care. The goal was to pack on muscle. Fat and water are a great enviroment for muscle gain.

I dont think physically i can go above 20% if im SFW 6 days a week. I always use ECA so i guess it helps keep me below 20% during bulks.

But basically i use the seasons to dictate what im doing. Fall/winter/Early spring = Bulk. Late spring/Summer = cut.