New to all this, and oat question

fishy12345

Awards
Hey guys and gals

I'm wanting to get bigger, particularly for getting back into rugby which I used to do very seriously but dropped for a while. Currently I'm 83kg, 6'3.

I'm extremely fit, do a huge amount of cardio, mostly cycling and mountaineering. I consume 5000 ish calories a day just to mantain my bodyweight. But when I skip exercise I eat almost nothing, I have no hunger. I need to get a bit larger, target is 100kg.

I was thinking of continueing with my normal diet which is extremely healthy, but adding 1kg oats, 50g whey protein, 5g creatine a day, consumed in shakes through the day. And maybe some additional fish. Oats would provide 110g of protein a day, a substantial amount. But is oat protien good to rely on as your main source?

Cheers

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I think you might be mixed up. Oats have carbs, and little protein. But yes, they would be a good addition. You said when you skip exercise, you eat nothing, is this a regular habit, or just random? If regular thing, then eat your 5000 cals on non training days also. You can do two things, scale back the amount of cardio you do, just out eat the problem. I would choose the second option, since you will need endurance for rugby.

To get to 100kg, that's a fairly large amount to gain. I don't know how much a huge amount of cardio you actually do, but maybe cut it back to half to start. Also, what is your typical diet plan, be specific.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually a kilo has 130g of protein. If you're adding whey in, you should be getting enough complete protein. Instead of a kilo of oats, I would suggest adding in some healthy fats, such as coconut oil, nuts & seeds etc. 450g (1 lb) of oats will be a fair bit. You need to up the cals to pack on some weight as you know.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Actually a kilo has 130g of protein. If you're adding whey in, you should be getting enough complete protein. Instead of a kilo of oats, I would suggest adding in some healthy fats, such as coconut oil, nuts & seeds etc. 450g (1 lb) of oats will be a fair bit. You need to up the cals to pack on some weight as you know.
I know a kilo of oats is a ton, so i couldn't imagine eating 2.2 pounds of it daily.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
oats do not contain COMPLETE protein and u should not count them as part of your protein intake. They only have part of the 20 amino acids that make up a protein!

oats are a carb and should be treated as such. and yes add them to your diet!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oats do not contain COMPLETE protein and u should not count them as part of your protein intake. They only have part of the 20 amino acids that make up a protein!

oats are a carb and should be treated as such. and yes add them to your diet!!
That's not what makes it incomplete. It is lacking some of the 9 essential AA's. Also, oats are extremely high on the PRAL scale and eating 1 kg would drive down your blood pH.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats what i just said minus the word essential. same diff. Just trying to keep it simple.
Your sentence made it seem as though there are 20 essential AA's. There's no reason to have that kind of ambiguity and the OP admitted to being new to this.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
well then i guess its good u clearified :)

and yes i was referring to NINE essential aminos

fishy12345

Awards
A kilo of oats, for me, is not that much to eat. Just now I had 250g oats, pint of water, 50g sugar and 25g of whey protein. Was easy to drink. It's pretty unsmooth, as I blend it very quickly, but I don't mind that.

But I take you guys excellent point about incomplete protein.

Could I go with 500g oats, and 200g sunflower seeds? As I understand it, these two combined give complete protein as they each contain the essential amino acids the other lacks.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
A kilo of oats, for me, is not that much to eat. Just now I had 250g oats, pint of water, 50g sugar and 25g of whey protein. Was easy to drink. It's pretty unsmooth, as I blend it very quickly, but I don't mind that.

But I take you guys excellent point about incomplete protein.

Could I go with 500g oats, and 200g sunflower seeds? As I understand it, these two combined give complete protein as they each contain the essential amino acids the other lacks.
Are you sure you are measuring correctly? No way you mixed 250g of oats, 50g of sugar, and 25g of whey with 1 pint of water. And then drank it.

I am looking at a container of 1 minute quick cook oats, the container is 1lb 2oz, or 510grams. 1 serving is 1/2 cup, 150 calories, 2.5g of fat, 27g of carbs, and 6 g of protein.

somewhere there is a discrepancy, I think you should check your label.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I don't see how there is any way he can eat 2 pounds of oats a day.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I just use the Oat tin as a feed bag, lol.

fishy12345

Awards
Are you sure you are measuring correctly? No way you mixed 250g of oats, 50g of sugar, and 25g of whey with 1 pint of water. And then drank it.

I am looking at a container of 1 minute quick cook oats, the container is 1lb 2oz, or 510grams. 1 serving is 1/2 cup, 150 calories, 2.5g of fat, 27g of carbs, and 6 g of protein.

somewhere there is a discrepancy, I think you should check your label.
I am 100% sure I am correct. Oats come in 500g bags, I blend half a bag and add the rest of the stuff by volume.

It's got a thicker consistentcy than water, that's for sure, but it's still drinkable. It's like extremely thin porridge. It's hard to down in one, but a few sips will get it down.

The reason I started experimenting with this was originally for long days climbing. Porridge, (and I imagine quick cook oats is an american porridgy stuff) can be made with only 150g of oats, per litre of water (or litre of milk if you use that), the reason liquid is so high is that the oats absorb a lot of water and heat makes it thicken. This means you need to consume ridiculous amounts of porridge to intake a lot of calories. In many cases you just can't eat enough of it. Lowering the amount of water produces something phenominally thick and hard to eat.

But if you don't heat it at all, and drink it as a shake, it's a lot easier to eat a high amount of oats.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Ok. Yes quick oats are American form of oats, processed to be cooked in a minute. I never tried it the way you said. I mix 1/2 cup (40g) of oats, and about 250mL of water and heat. It does expand a bit, that's why I couldn't believe you could be eating that much.

Thanks for the tip though on getting more down in less volume.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
fishy, in ur stats it says ur 6'3" and 83 lbs? im assuming that is a typo... what r ur actual stats, ht, wt, and Bf (only if u know it, dont guess)

tws1

are you half horse? That is a crazy amount of oats haha. Are oats very easily digested?

time lord

time lord

Awards
That's not what makes it incomplete. It is lacking some of the 9 essential AA's. Also, oats are extremely high on the PRAL scale and eating 1 kg would drive down your blood pH.
yes, don't neglect this fact! in addition, although disputed, low blood pH has been linked w/ inflammation in plenty of solid studies. this leads to another set of not so good consequences. i don't see anything but the possibility of a cascading set of problems in eating that much oats per day.

try to get more carbs in from fruits, beans, sweet potato, quinoa, etc... too many to list. do some more research. this may be more work, but in the end your body will thank you!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, don't neglect this fact! in addition, although disputed, low blood pH has been linked w/ inflammation in plenty of solid studies. this leads to another set of not so good consequences. i don't see anything but the possibility of a cascading set of problems in eating that much oats per day.

try to get more carbs in from fruits, beans, sweet potato, quinoa, etc... too many to list. do some more research. this may be more work, but in the end your body will thank you!
The only sources of complex carbs that are alkalinic are potatoes. White rices are only slightly acidic.

time lord

time lord

Awards
The only sources of complex carbs that are alkalinic are potatoes. White rices are only slightly acidic.
i believe wheat bread comes in at around 1.8 and white rice is 1.7? although the variations in wheat breads means relying on that 1.8 to be accurate all the time seems sketchy at best. i've seen lentils ranged anywhere from -3.5 to 4.0. a lot of beans (navy, adzuki, lima, white, kidney, pinto) are alkalinic. legumes in general i think are your best bet when it comes to carbs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i believe wheat bread comes in at around 1.8 and white rice is 1.7? although the variations in wheat breads means relying on that 1.8 to be accurate all the time seems sketchy at best. i've seen lentils ranged anywhere from -3.5 to 4.0. a lot of beans (navy, adzuki, lima, white, kidney, pinto) are alkalinic. legumes in general i think are your best bet when it comes to carbs.
Most legumes are acidic.

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm

time lord

time lord

Awards
i don't think you should keep legumes out of your diet entirely because they average out to being slightly acidic. the ones that are alkalinic are a great low GI source of carbs and shouldn't be overlooked.

...and if we're going to get technical, averaging out to 1.2 doesn't mean that most legumes are acidic, the possibility exists that more legumes than not are slightly alkalinic, while a few are fairly high in terms acidity, widening the data range and deceivingly skewing the average. :)

http://www.bitterpoison.com/archive/calculate-acid-alkaline-with-pral-formula/ <----- one of several sources listing alkaline beans

i've yet to find a comprehensive legume list however, and if you come across a good one definately let me know!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

i don't think you should keep legumes out of your diet entirely because they average out to being slightly acidic. the ones that are alkalinic are a great low GI source of carbs and shouldn't be overlooked.

...and if we're going to get technical, averaging out to 1.2 doesn't mean that most legumes are acidic, the possibility exists that more legumes than not are slightly alkalinic, while a few are fairly high in terms acidity, widening the data range and deceivingly skewing the average. :)

http://www.bitterpoison.com/archive/calculate-acid-alkaline-with-pral-formula/ <----- one of several sources listing alkaline beans

i've yet to find a comprehensive legume list however, and if you come across a good one definately let me know!

The only time I ever eat any legumes is refried beans on fajitas, which is a rare treat.

time lord

time lord

Awards
this is off subject but i think worth noting about beans...

several months ago i came across a bean blend that looked pretty tasty at my local health food store. i had it pre-workout and had the most amazing pumps. i went w/out my normal NO supplementation for a couple weeks to experiment and continued getting better than usual pumps with just beans. come to find out that beans are among the best natural sources of L-arginine. i sourced the best ones and now make my own blend. not terribly tasty but effective.

2 days a week part of my pre-workout meal is a mixture of lentils, garbonzo beans, split peas, pearled barley, and kidney beans. this plus + NO supplementation = skin tearing pumps for me. i have not been able to replicate it any other way.

since you do plenty of MMA maybe you should stay away though... beans pre-jiu jitsu definately hasn't made me any friends.