Why can't I get a chest???

lift or die

Awards
k guys help me out here....i being lifting for about 6 years now, 3 of the serouis and have seen growth in my biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, and legs ect.... But I been lifting with my buddies and they all have a pecs on them that stick out.... i just can't seem to get a chest on me... whats going on here???

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
Don't compare unless your friends are also doing your exact same workout routine.

Just do the tried & true chest building exercises. Or, just ask your friends what they did to get their chest the way it is.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
if we were to assume that everything were in order with your routine, we all have weaknesses. My calves are a strong point for me, which is typically unusual. My arms suck donkey ballls and lag even though I've tried many strategies.

U'd be better served to search for strategies on lagging bodyparts. Come up with a plan, and start a thread to track your results. Based on your results, others could help you make adjustments along the way.

If it was easy to be huge, balanced, and strong, we'd all be in magazine ads.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
need to know what your workouts are so we can help ya out man

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I found that for a long time I wasn't pushing with my chest when I bench pressed. I was pushing too much from my hands. Try pinching your shoulder blades together before you lift. The guy who help me figure it out took his finger and pushed down against my chest/shoulder so I would push with the right muscle.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bench for a lot of people doesnt hit the chest effectively; largely down to improper form.

imo, there are better chest developers out there.

That said, hitting it on multiple angles is key.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
should have mentioned before...I find that dumbell bench and dips work my chest better conventional BP

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
should have mentioned before...I find that dumbell bench and dips work my chest better conventional BP
Indeed, as this is the case for many people.

However people are loathed to move away from this movement as this is one of the "ego lifts".

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
I am finding that DB incline is hitting my chest extremely well. I can definitely feel it after those and leaning forward weighted dips.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
^^ agree with above saw dramatic increase in pec size when i started my workouts with incline dbs

ezyryder08

Awards
I recently switch my chest routine from doing flat bench, incline bench, fly's, and cable crossovers. For several weeks I switched over to db everything and have noticed you can achieve a much better contraction of the pectorals then with a flat bench. IMO I have decided that db pressed incline an decline are much better for overall chest mass and barbell presses better for the outer portion of the pectorals.

My recommendation would be experiment, you have to figure out which you exercise you feel better stimulates the pecs and go with that. Good luck with it man my chest had been lagging but upon experiments I have brought it up. Hit em hard man

lift or die

Awards
Don't compare unless your friends are also doing your exact same workout routine.

Just do the tried & true chest building exercises. Or, just ask your friends what they did to get their chest the way it is.
the thing is me and my buddies do life together... thats why im wondering whats going on....

lift or die

Awards
sorry guys took so long to get back to you... i was gone for a few days... but as i posted i do:

flat dumbell 3 x10
incline dumbell 3x10
decline dumbell3x10

flys 3 x 10
pec deck 3 x 10
med ball pushups 3 x F

then the next week do the same with barbell

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
k guys help me out here....i being lifting for about 6 years now, 3 of the serouis and have seen growth in my biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, and legs ect.... But I been lifting with my buddies and they all have a pecs on them that stick out.... i just can't seem to get a chest on me... whats going on here???
From the workouts I see below, you are not doing enough sets. I don't know what type of activity, if any, you are training for but I'll say this. I'm not a name dropper, but a guy that has helped me tremendously, and I work out with occassionally, and lives in my neighborhood recently finished 7th in the world for his weight class. (Natural body building). The amount of sets we do blow that out. I'll start with say flat bench db, 20 reps, very lt weight here, just to get blood where it needs to be, warm up. 15, 12, 10, 2(acclimation set, heavy here), 8, 8, 8, 8. The last four is the work set. The last two reps you should need help, especially on the last two sets. Then, something like decline d.b.'s, superset w/ incline fly's. The thing w/ declines is to make sure you are pushing weights towards your belly button. Really contract at the top, hold it for a second. If you have to drop weight to achieve this, do so. Same goes for flat db too. On barbell bench, make sure your scapula is together, shoulder blades pinched in, chest out. Biggest most repetitive mistake I see in the gym are guys benching and pushing the weight back, towards them, waning pressure away from subject muscles and into delts. It feels like you're going straight up, but you're not. The sensation needs to be toward the belly button. Watch for this, you'll see. Let us know how this works. I tried 10 sets of 10 reps the other saturday(German Volume Training). That was grueling. I only used 135 lbs too(my one rep max is 325 clean). Even that light of weight gets very heavy, and quick. Try that too.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
I say go for 4-6 reps, your chest will grow from that for sure, and add in some dumbell flys!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What part of you chest is weak. Mine was lagging and i did 9 weeks of only inline db presses and flyes then 8 more weeks adding in flat db presses. Switching to DB's really made a difference as well as focusing on upper chest which was lagging

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
From the workouts I see below, you are not doing enough sets. I don't know what type of activity, if any, you are training for but I'll say this. I'm not a name dropper, but a guy that has helped me tremendously, and I work out with occassionally, and lives in my neighborhood recently finished 7th in the world for his weight class. (Natural body building). The amount of sets we do blow that out. I'll start with say flat bench db, 20 reps, very lt weight here, just to get blood where it needs to be, warm up. 15, 12, 10, 2(acclimation set, heavy here), 8, 8, 8, 8. The last four is the work set. The last two reps you should need help, especially on the last two sets. Then, something like decline d.b.'s, superset w/ incline fly's. The thing w/ declines is to make sure you are pushing weights towards your belly button. Really contract at the top, hold it for a second. If you have to drop weight to achieve this, do so. Same goes for flat db too. On barbell bench, make sure your scapula is together, shoulder blades pinched in, chest out. Biggest most repetitive mistake I see in the gym are guys benching and pushing the weight back, towards them, waning pressure away from subject muscles and into delts. It feels like you're going straight up, but you're not. The sensation needs to be toward the belly button. Watch for this, you'll see. Let us know how this works. I tried 10 sets of 10 reps the other saturday(German Volume Training). That was grueling. I only used 135 lbs too(my one rep max is 325 clean). Even that light of weight gets very heavy, and quick. Try that too.
I have just started focusing on having my shoulder blades pinched together in the last few weeks, 1 w/o a week, and am already noticing the weight focused on my pecs better than before. Chest up, shoulder blades together and really think about the chest doing the work.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
be careful your shoulders are below the line of your chest at all times. pinch them together, tighten your abs and keep your wrists straight. This will stop you pushing with your shoulders triceps and other supporters. Number one problem with people who seem to have lagging chests is they overuse shoulder/tri's. Dont be afraid to cut back weight if it means gettin the form right.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
here is my advice. Are you a delt presser? Do you see growth in your dets but not chest? If so, try this... Next pressing monement get back on you shoulder blades, prop your shoulders back, bend and expose the bottome of your ribcage, press wide. See if that betters it! :D bet so.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
flat dumbell 3 x 10
incline dumbell 3 x 10
decline 3 x10

flys 3x10
pec deck 3 x 10

Than the next week...

I do the same but with barbell...
try:
flat bench
incline bench
pullovers (wide grip)
dips (weighted)

fly's and pec deck aren't necessarily the best for mass - though they are great for other things.

if you need a 5th exercise, i would do cable crossovers, but those 4 should be enough.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found that for a long time I wasn't pushing with my chest when I bench pressed. I was pushing too much from my hands. Try pinching your shoulder blades together before you lift. The guy who help me figure it out took his finger and pushed down against my chest/shoulder so I would push with the right muscle.
Bench for a lot of people doesnt hit the chest effectively; largely down to improper form.

imo, there are better chest developers out there.

That said, hitting it on multiple angles is key.
both of these

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
im in the same boat as you,

my chest and shoulders wont grow, and flat bench kills my shoulder regaurdless of the exercise so i throw them in like once a month, i do DB incline, Barbell incline, and machine incline, every so often ill do high incline as well. seemd to work a little bit

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
when i did 5x5 training my chest came out
more strength than size in other areas, but the chest had both size and strength gains
i also like doin heavy pec deck supersetted with the machine seated bench with 3/4 reps to keep the blood pumped in
(3/4 not full elbow extention but all the way back to use chest and not have tris take over)
ALSO
how are your tris?
my friend has HUGE triceps, both genetics and he loves to hit his tris hard because his bis dont peak well so to gain size in the arms its all tris for him
his bench movements are strong, but has no size because he pushes with the shoulder and tris too much
having him do 3/4 reps like stated above after doin half his set with full ROM to try and tire his chest and not push with shoulder/tri

other help: make sure you squeeze especially on fly/pecdec/crossover movements

good luck man, it will come!

Bighorse

Awards
im in the same boat as you,

my chest and shoulders wont grow, and flat bench kills my shoulder regaurdless of the exercise so i throw them in like once a month, i do DB incline, Barbell incline, and machine incline, every so often ill do high incline as well. seemd to work a little bit
Sounds like me... I am not sure why flatbench kills my shoulder, i am fairly certain that i use correct form and because it kills i do lighter weights with this. But yes DB inclines, machine inclines etc help me more. I found i make more gains from machine than DB. Is there a reason for this? Any advice or links about possible bench pressing and shoulders???

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like me... I am not sure why flatbench kills my shoulder, i am fairly certain that i use correct form and because it kills i do lighter weights with this. But yes DB inclines, machine inclines etc help me more. I found i make more gains from machine than DB. Is there a reason for this? Any advice or links about possible bench pressing and shoulders???
get on your shoulder blades, raise your back stick out your lower ribs a diaphram keep your shoulders pulled back as well and focus on your chest and using your shoulders less.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Try pre-exhausting delts before you start chest work out. Do various raises/supersets to really exhaust the delts, this way the secondary muscles are out of the picture and you may be able to hammer the target muscle better. Has worked for me.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
A) Strengthen the shoulders
B) Pre Exhaust the shoulders via front dumbell raises

Bighorse

Awards
Try pre-exhausting delts before you start chest work out. Do various raises/supersets to really exhaust the delts, this way the secondary muscles are out of the picture and you may be able to hammer the target muscle better. Has worked for me.
So i should do shoulders before i do chest? Train both on the same day? Maybe i have weak shoulders?

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
If a lifter accidentally relies too much on his/her delts to lift the weight, particularly in chest training, then you won't get the desired results. That's not to say go all out and do complete shoulder workout b4 chest, no. Just do a few specific front delt exercises to pre-exhaust them. You don't have to entirely burn em out, but drain em so your chest and tri's are FORCED to do the work. You may see better results quick.

Bighorse

Awards
If a lifter accidentally relies too much on his/her delts to lift the weight, particularly in chest training, then you won't get the desired results. That's not to say go all out and do complete shoulder workout b4 chest, no. Just do a few specific front delt exercises to pre-exhaust them. You don't have to entirely burn em out, but drain em so your chest and tri's are FORCED to do the work. You may see better results quick.
No dramas. I will keep that in mind for tommorows workout.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Form is #1. Talk to a powerlifter and get ure form perfect. 99 percent of the people in the gym have terrible bench form and roll their shoulders forward at lockout.

You have too many press excercises in one lift. Cut it down to one Press and one fly variation. Your trying to do to much in one lift. Just focus on one variation and add some sets. What your doing may be overtraining also. Add more sets and play with the reps

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I would say not ever to do shoulders before bench BTW. Just get your form right and that should never be a problem.....ever. Your body should work as one on the press and not be overcompensating for exhausted muscles. That will probably just worsen your form and possibly lead to some sort of injury.

lift or die

Awards
when i did 5x5 training my chest came out
more strength than size in other areas, but the chest had both size and strength gains
i also like doin heavy pec deck supersetted with the machine seated bench with 3/4 reps to keep the blood pumped in
(3/4 not full elbow extention but all the way back to use chest and not have tris take over)
ALSO
how are your tris?
my friend has HUGE triceps, both genetics and he loves to hit his tris hard because his bis dont peak well so to gain size in the arms its all tris for him
his bench movements are strong, but has no size because he pushes with the shoulder and tris too much
having him do 3/4 reps like stated above after doin half his set with full ROM to try and tire his chest and not push with shoulder/tri

other help: make sure you squeeze especially on fly/pecdec/crossover movements

good luck man, it will come!

yea man... i have pretty decent arms right aroud 18's and my shoulders are pretty broad.... is that y i dont have a chest?

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
yea man... i have pretty decent arms right aroud 18's and my shoulders are pretty broad.... is that y i dont have a chest?
maybe! try chest isolation excersizes first, then compound movements. maybe your shoulders are taking the load off your chest so that you chest gets a shitty workout.

lift or die

Awards
maybe! try chest isolation excersizes first, then compound movements. maybe your shoulders are taking the load off your chest so that you chest gets a shitty workout.
what would be some good chest isolation workouts?

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Not to sound like an ass, but IMO you should always do compound movements first. Then when you gain size, you can try the isolation exercises to define. But the iso exercises won't get you the mass size you desire.

lift or die

Awards
Not to sound like an ass, but IMO you should always do compound movements first. Then when you gain size, you can try the isolation exercises to define. But the iso exercises won't get you the mass size you desire.
what do you suggest.... im opening to anything...

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
Hey can u explain this in better detail. Any tips i can pick up is greatfull. My chest is my lagging part to i bench decent numbers like:
Incline 250x5
flat 275 x3
decline 280 x3

I try to go a lil heavyer every other week and still not seeing anything amazing happening.

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
I meant to quote this post...^

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
This video helped me alot on form and it gives a visual on what alot of people here are talking about:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcjOIZc80c"]YouTube - How to Bench Press, Get a Big Chest, Add Muscle All Without Wrecking Your Shoulders[/ame]

JustLiftIt7

Awards
Hey first post on AM...My chest was a weak area for myself when I began working out and now it is one of my strongest. All I can say is incline incline incline...flat bench just wasn't giving me the height or fullness I wanted. Begin with barbell incline, and finish with dumb bell incline..it worked for me, goodluck

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Yes as soon as I dropped the bench press and went to DB my chest started looking significantly better.