Optimal workout time? - AnabolicMinds.com

Optimal workout time?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.

Optimal workout time?

I've never asked this, but have read a few things on it...

If I'm lifting heavy, (squats, bench, pull ups, etc) how long should i be in the gym for? How much is too much? I'm usually never in the gym longer than 1 hour, but sometimes i think that might not be long enough. Does it depend on what i do, or is their a specific time i should set a guideline for?

2. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

I usually say 45-60 minutes. After that cortisol starts to spike. You can get a solid workout done in 30-40 minutes if you push yourself hard enough. Nothing is set in stone , we're all unique.
  3. New Member

Coritsol's overrated. How do you explain the physiques of professional atheletes who train fairly constantly - oly lifters, gymnasts, long track speed skaters, Curlers. (Ok, forget the curling team.)

The workout should be hard, but nutrition and, especially recovery prior to the subsequent session, are paramount.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

yes
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

I would make an exception to the 1 hour rule if you do cardio right after weight training. Your weight training session doesn't need to be more than 1 hour. Some people take longer to finish workouts because they waste too much in between sets. You'd be surprised at how many sets you can complete when rest periods are 90 seconds between sets.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

I go 45-90 min. Overtraining does exist, but undereating exists more. I def found that spending too much time in the gym inhibited my results, i call it quits when my body reaches its fullest pump, or slightly after that. When im with a partner, sometimes it goes longer.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  172 lbs.

I'd say 60-90 minutes for workouts with more volume, and workouts with a higher intensity should not take more than 30-45 minutes. With cardio included you can add an extra 10-15 minutes. And also add in piss breaks from hopefully hydrating yourself and drinking water, which is another 3-5 minutes.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1990 View Post
    I'd say 60-90 minutes for workouts with more volume, and workouts with a higher intensity should not take more than 30-45 minutes. With cardio included you can add an extra 10-15 minutes. And also add in piss breaks from hopefully hydrating yourself and drinking water, which is another 3-5 minutes.
    Piss breaks! I forgot about those! What about stare at chick-breaks? Tack on another 15 min!LOL.
  9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    Coritsol's overrated. How do you explain the physiques of professional atheletes who train fairly constantly - oly lifters, gymnasts, long track speed skaters, Curlers. (Ok, forget the curling team.)

The workout should be hard, but nutrition and, especially recovery prior to the subsequent session, are paramount.
    How about a ton of factors your obviously not taking into considersation, aside from the fact they are 'professional' and thus will have access to a plethoa of recovery and training aids average joe does not, no least superior rest periods.
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0-hero View Post
    How about a ton of factors your obviously not taking into considersation, aside from the fact they are 'professional' and thus will have access to a plethoa of recovery and training aids average joe does not, no least superior rest periods.
    And those "ton[s] of factors" are able to limit the effects of cortisol 45-60 minutes into a workout exactly how?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.

Depends how you train and what for. I mostly train powerlifting style with a lot of volume so nearly 2 hours isn't unheard of, but some days i do a BB training session and it can be over in 40 mins. some people react differently to training time periods. nothing's set in stone, you'll find through trial and error what works for you
  12. Advanced Member

like t-bone said, I believe cortisol is over-emphasized.
    "I believe."

And the other thing is, a lot depends on body-type, present lifestyle and genetics.
    Just as an example, an endomorph is definitely going to have a different response to the type and duration of the training in contrast to an ectomorph.

My preference is High intensity weight training which lasts 45 - 50 mins. Based on my personal experience, this has done a lot more for me than extended workouts of low intensity, high volume and long rests.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.

I think that it pretty much depends on your diet. If you have a low carb/calorie diet your body will simply not have enough fuel to withstand a really intense lengthy workout. If you have a really good diet high in carbs and a high calorie intake you will be able to go longer, healthier. You need to just pay attention to how you feel and your body responds to different work outs. If your body is already in it's catabolic, low insulin state you won't be doing your body any good to keep pushing it beyond it's natural boudaries. There's a difference between a really good, hard workout and an unhealthy one...
    EatTrainSleepEatTrainSleepEatT rainSleepEatTrainSleepEatTrain SleepEatTrainSleepEatTrainSlee pEatTrainSleepEatTrainSleepEat TrainSleepEatTrainSleepEatTrai nSleepEatTrainSleep
  14. Advanced Muscle Science Rep
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

You workout as long as it takes for you to:
    Reach goals you set for day
    till you smash your muscle into new growth. lol

I dont watch the time but i say if you cant get your workout done in 1 +& half hours your not pushing hard enough.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Optimal workout recovery?
    By someguy1984 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
  2. Optimal time between carb ups
    By pitching101 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 10:59 PM
  3. Optimal time in between meals
    By freqfly in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14