GREAT homemade meal replacement bars made CHEAP and EASY!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Came across this recipe, thought I'd share!

1.) Get out a medium-large mixing bowl.

2.) Pour 3.5 cups of oats into bowl.

3.) Pour 5 scoops of whey protein into bowl.

4.) Pour 4 tablespoons of natural peanut butter into bowl.

5.) Pour 1 cup of milk into bowl.

6.) Mix ingredients together until everything is sticking together evenly. I use my hands because it's easier.

7.) Get out a pan or dinner plate (regular size usually works fine). Coat the pan or plate with non-stick cooking spray. If you don't have any spray, just use a little butter. The point here is to keep the bars from sticking.

8.) Spoon the mix out onto the plate and shape into a rectangular shape. Afterwards, cut the bar into portions. You can cut out four large bars, or cut out smaller portions (like brownies or something).

9.) Cover the bars and plate with aluminum foil and let set in fridge for 2-3 hours until somewhat hardened. Bars mold well but remain somewhat soft. Enjoy!

One batch comes out to around 2200 calories (200g protein, 240g carbs, 60g fat). So if you're cutting out four bars you get:

Calories: about 550 each
Protein: 45-50g
Carbs: 60g
Fat: 15g

I added everything up and it literally cost about 87 cents per bar! Or a little less than $3.50 for one batch. Plus you're keeping the ingredients simple; check the back of a store bought protein bar sometime. Takes about 10 minutes to make from prep to cleanup. A great recipe for bulking!!

Valens

Awards
sweet deal

how is the taste?

may be a good replacement for those moments of weakness (when desiring sweets)

thanx bud!

MTNMEDIC

Right on ! with bars at around two bucks or more im giving this one a try.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Taste pretty good, just really filling. I might try baking them sometime instead of using the fridge. They never really get solid.

WannabeBatman

WannabeBatman

Awards
Great recipe, its essentially what I use as well. I usually make a batch with all the ingredients you listed for the day time and for night time I add about 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese (or low sodium non-fat cottage cheese, Crowley is good brand for this) for bedtime bar and replace the Whey protein with Casein protein for a bedtime bar or a late night snack when I wake up in the night (I've been known to do this on occasion haha).

Best,
TWB

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude thats awesome, so simple! Im giing it a run

Valens

Awards
hey

do you vary whey protein flavors........

im assuming chocolate is a mainstay.....

have any of you fellas used anything like cookies n creme or something a bit more exotic lol

wondering.......

this is a great recipe, hats off to you for puttin this out there

:)

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I used chocolate whey and it ended up being pretty good. Taste kind of like a no bake oatmeal cookie, except a lot more dense. You could use whatever flavor of whey you wanted to. You could even add bits of fruit or nuts, or whatever.

I want to try baking on of these bad boys sometime to see if I can draw some of the water out and make it more crunchy. At least on the outside maybe. Right now I'm eating it on a plate as if it were a piece of cake. It holds shape well, it's just if you ate it with your hands you'd get some of it rubbing off (it'd be a little messy).

But as far as functionality, price and convenience go, you can't beat it! You're getting quality protein, carbs, and fats, all in one! An easy 550 calories of quality ingredients makes for a great bulking asset! One thing I've been thinking about is instead of using all whey protein, to use a blend of casien and whey. Don't you think that would be better for a meal replacement bar?

Valens

Awards
ya man

slow release........if you need them to replace solid food due to being on the go or at work or whatever

absolutely

im gonna try this one of these days.........

and slow release before bed.........always good!!

lata brah

:)

WannabeBatman

WannabeBatman

Awards
Joshua86:

I've tried the split between whey and casein protein (50/50) it's decent. I usually split my protein shakes during my last several meals. Meals 7 and 8 for me usually consist of 50/50 split of whey/casein proteins. And then before bed I do 1 complete casein shake (2 scoops usually).

I've tried the recipe you used, it's essentially the same (except I used 6 scoops of protein several times). I then used 3 scoops of whey and 3 scoops of casein before bed, it tasted fine and was yummy. I even blended different flavors ON Double Chocolate whey with ON Creamy Vanilla casein, that sort of thing.

Valens:

I've tried it with ON Whey Strawberry and Natural Strawberry Peanut butter and it was delicious, but I don't how well refined my pallet is, I'm the kind of guy who enjoys the taste of casein protein plain and lows cottage cheese haha.

Best,
TWB

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Nice...

Also, for the record, if you bake these things they don't taste as good as they do from the beginning. Before baking you have a slightly wet, chewy texture, sort of like cookie dough or something. After baking they become a lot dryer and taste like they've been freeze dried almost. They do become less messy after baking, but to me it's almost not worth it. They're pretty hard to down regularly, just because they're so dense (what would you expect? ;)), but after baking they're really hard for me to eat.

So if you don't mind them being a little messy, don't bake them. It kind of takes away from the convenience factor, but you could always just bag a bar in a small sandwich bag and just eat it out of that.

worm

worm

Awards
  • Established
I found this same recipe on a forum and have been making these for a while. Adjust the amount of milk you put in them to make them a little drier. I have only used chocolate and vanilla protien but it is good with either.

jman901

jman901

Awards
i just pop them into a baggie, then into the freezer for about 30-45 mins. No mess and a better consistency IMO

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
One thing I've been thinking about is instead of using all whey protein, to use a blend of casien and whey. Don't you think that would be better for a meal replacement bar?
Not sure it actually matters. You aren't taking the protein cleanly, ie you are taking it with plenty of carbs and, more importantly, fats. This will delay gastric emptying and, effectively, prolong the absorption of protein, no matter the origin.

Casein could result in an even more prolonged release of aminos, but I'm not sure if it matters for your application here. If you were really cutting cals down then I'd say yes, it would matter. But if you're eating some form of protein every couple hours to bulk, then I doubt it matters in the least.

Go with whatever is cheaper or more palatable.

Trapstar

Trapstar

Awards
these taste amazing man! good job, i love snacking on them with a glass of whole milk :)