I hate my arms

M

mildsauce

Awards
I'm a bit frustrated here. My arms are my weak link. Does it seem disproportionate that I can curl 100x9 yet my arms are only 14.25" cold flexed? I ask that because I've seen guys who can only do 135x5 with 16"+ arms. That's only 25 lbs better than me (adjusted for 1RM).

Should I change my routine to be higher rep? I train in the 3-10 rep range now. My training is a mix of compounds like rows, bp, dips and frog planche; and isolations like curls & flyes.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Keep reps between 8-12 with ~60-90 sec between sets to help put on some mass.

Also, focus on the concentration of the curl. Try to maintain a stable proximal segment to require the biceps brachii to do the majority of the lift.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
8-12 reps are definitely the best for mass. what does your bi/tri routine look like?

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
I'm a bit frustrated here. My arms are my weak link. Does it seem disproportionate that I can curl 100x9 yet my arms are only 14.25" cold flexed? I ask that because I've seen guys who can only do 135x5 with 16"+ arms. That's only 25 lbs better than me (adjusted for 1RM).

Should I change my routine to be higher rep? I train in the 3-10 rep range now. My training is a mix of compounds like rows, bp, dips and frog planche; and isolations like curls & flyes.
Size is an illusion. Respect yourself and others will respect you

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
And like they said before me EAT MORE:pizza:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i ask because my best arm day to date does the compounds first :

4x10 as superset
weighted chins
weighted dips
4x10 as superset
cheating barbell curls (minor back swing)
close grip bench (10 inches apart)

followed by 3 supersets done as dropsets (no break, running the rack from high to low as muscle failure is realized)
pinwheel curls
preacher curls
3 supersets as dropsets
skullcrushers
reverse grip tricep pushdowns

basically, for the last 4 exercises, i'd go as heavy as possible, do 8-12 reps till failure, do the next exercise till failure. then grab a lighter weight, and do the first exercise again. 3-4 sets of that will build a wicked pump. first bi's, then tri's. a pump is imminent :)

M

mildsauce

Awards
8-12 reps are definitely the best for mass. what does your bi/tri routine look like?
I do little direct arm work, just bb curls. I do 3 sets of 10 curls till failure (3 min rests), then reduce the weight and do another 2 sets of 8 till failure. Then reduce the weight and do 5 sets of 4 with 90sec rests. I only do this every two weeks because I rely on compounds and I recover slowly (it's an age thing). If I did it more often I would not be able to do my other workouts because my arms would be toast.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I do little direct arm work, just bb curls. I do 3 sets of 10 curls till failure (3 min rests), then reduce the weight and do another 2 sets of 8 till failure. Then reduce the weight and do 5 sets of 4 with 90sec rests. I only do this every two weeks because I rely on compounds and I recover slowly (it's an age thing). If I did it more often I would not be able to do my other workouts because my arms would be toast.
that's probably why you don't like your arms. you might want to look into cre-02 by MST and a gh supplement like either powerfull or somnidren GH . if you can't train them more than once every two weeks, you have a major recovery issue, and those two supplements could help with that.

my 2 cents :)

hope that helps. you could also do back/bi's one day, then chest/tri's another day. that way you shouldn't need to use those muscles on say leg or shoulder day.

Superdoad

Superdoad

Banned
Awards
Give your arms the old switcharoo. Try a completley different arm routine, or rep range, amount of sets, ect.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
genetics buddy. join the club
I have to agree. I've tried everything to get my arms to grow I'm stuck at 14.5". I do a lot of concentration curls now and just work on my peak. I figure if there not going to get any bigger I might as well start carving them into what i want them to look like.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established

my arms were 16.5 back when I was 170lbs, and i never curled more than 95. in fact most of the gains I made were when I curled less than that, maybe 70-85. I also like to do preacher curls on the vertical part of the pad, incline dumbell curls (one arm at a time), etc. Rep ranges from 10-25.

if your arms are 14.25" and you are curling 100lbs, your form is probably... literally... 30% there. you are probably not keeping tension the whole time, your forearms may be doing some of the work, and the obvious problems like jerking etc.. Solution? start by bracing your back against the wall, keeping your elbows stationary, do not let your biceps rest at the bottom, and then you'll know what it is to truly feel a curl. I'd recommend you trying that with a 30-40lb fixed barbell as opposed to olympic because the balancing makes it harder to do right.

my biceps are one of my better body parts and I can get a greatworkout using 50-60lbs barbells, and dumbells only up to 35lbs.

and just so you know, I can grab a 60lb dumbell and hammer curl it and any bystander would think I have good form. Little would they know my biceps got zero stimulation from that.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
i got 16.5 arms and curl 100x8 or so. its nothing impressive...i guess genetics plays a large role. height, length of limbs, etc. trying throwing in a dedicated arm day every once in a while...

C

crazilyfter42

Awards
Honestly I think you should stop focusing on numbers like that or you will end up going crazy. Its the same way many people focus on the weight on the scale rather than what they see in the mirror. I know guys that weigh more than me and probably have bigger arms also. But most people would look at me and think mine are bigger and that I even weigh more. Genetics def play a big part concerning your arms so this may be a much tougher area for some and not so much for others. I grow well off weighted chin ups, weighted dips, and concentration curls. I usually try to throw something else in their sometimes to in order to change things up. Something like preacher curls, hammer curls, or cable curls, etc. When you do the weighted dips keep your elbows in to maximize tricep work instead of chest.

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I think every guy that lifts weights goes through that phase of, "why arent my arms getting bigger?" and the answer is: genetics. To get your arms bigger you have to find what works for you, more sets, reps and higher weights are not always the answer, what does seem to work is variation of exercise in combination with triceps.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I fear I am in this club
Im bordering 14.5s but if I hit a 300lb squat or a 400lb deadlift and im below 16s ill start to freak out!

tho I train for the 5 rep range.. just about to start adding 5-10lb weighted disks... ready for it on my dips... close grip pullups im weak at

I recently started a different way of curling tho... its to do with the grip and wrist position concerning the ez-bar... in short, i read an article that said to hold the ez-bar upside down, ie when your forearm is out, your pinky is above your thumb (think about it its hard to explain)... ie twisting your wrist more outwrads... its meant to hit the bicep more instead of the stronger muscle towards the outer part of ur arm which can do a lot of the pulling in a curl... tho its harder

i normally curled 77lbs roughly then i switched the grip and fell 10lbs... but im back up to the 77 mark and not too far from adding weight (5rep as well)

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I fear I am in this club
Im bordering 14.5s but if I hit a 300lb squat or a 400lb deadlift and im below 16s ill start to freak out!

tho I train for the 5 rep range.. just about to start adding 5-10lb weighted disks... ready for it on my dips... close grip pullups im weak at

I recently started a different way of curling tho... its to do with the grip and wrist position concerning the ez-bar... in short, i read an article that said to hold the ez-bar upside down, ie when your forearm is out, your pinky is above your thumb (think about it its hard to explain)... ie twisting your wrist more outwrads... its meant to hit the bicep more instead of the stronger muscle towards the outer part of ur arm which can do a lot of the pulling in a curl... tho its harder

i normally curled 77lbs roughly then i switched the grip and fell 10lbs... but im back up to the 77 mark and not too far from adding weight (5rep as well)
IMO the ez-curl bar does not enhance bicep growth and is bad for the elbows. I used one for years and had chronic tendinitis. I started using the straight bar exclusively and it disappeared.Periodizing the amount of weight on arm exercises helps.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
IMO the ez-curl bar does not enhance bicep growth and is bad for the elbows. I used one for years and had chronic tendinitis. I started using the straight bar exclusively and it disappeared.Periodizing the amount of weight on arm exercises helps.
What do you mean by Periodizing?

The article I read said... if you use the EZ-bar... hold it upside down, otherwise use a straight bar. the benefits of a straight bar are that you hold it with your palms facing up... where as most people hold an ez-bar the ez-way ie their palms face in kinda 45 degrees with the thumb out above higher than the pinky (hope im explaining this right)... think about it, you twist your wrist on a flat bar so palms are flat horizontal, notice how your bicep tends to kinda come out more... if you curl with a flat bar apparently its better, more bicep is used, hits more of the inside of the bi, and uses less of whatever the muscle is on the outside of your arm which apparently is very strong and does a lot of the pull in a typical curl. but what i meant was - the article went on to say also that if you do use an ez-bar, use it upside down - even more effective than a flat barbell coz it twists your wrist out further. that and apparently curling by using pull down machine (you know where you can lower it and pull-up on the cable? using a flat T kinda attachment?)

I've lost the article I'm sure it was posted here on AM forums but ah...

Edit: If my explanation is crap... think of a hammer curl... your fist/wrist is making your palm face vertical ie towards your body... your bicep is being used different. Say your left hand... is in a hammer curl position now looking at your fist you twist it from your point of view anti-clockwise so palms go up, note how your bicep in your arm pops out a bit. further you twist that way apparently the more effective it is to curl?

B

Bulk

Awards
My arms are the same buddy, They grow much slower to the rest of my body, try adding an additional arm day, i do this every 2-3 times every 2 months

Sample:

Monday - chest (I will add this extra arm workout)
Tuesday - shoulders
Wednesday - legs
Thursday - arms(heavy day)
Friday - back

On monday after I finish my chest workout my arms are already warm so I jump right in.

Training this way will give your arms two full days to recover.

Biceps - Barbell curl, Dumbbell curl, Preacher curl
Triceps - Skull crushers, Pushdowns, 1 arm overhead push
Forearms - Hammer curls, Reverse curls, Wrist curls

superset for 1 set only. Go to failure on each set, make the contraction last 2 seconds, and use 4 second negative. Just make sure you work through the exercises quickly for maximun pumpage.

On thrudays is my heavy day, i just keep things basic and do ,

BB curls 3 x 6 + DB curls 3x 6
Close Grip Bench 3x6/8, French Press's 3x8

i have had great gains in my arms on this routine.

Last edited:
K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Periodization is an old concept. Start with light weights and add 1 percent of weight every third workout. The best arm builders IMO are bar curls, alternate DB curls fully suppinateing, and straight hanging-arm DB concentration curls. Incorporateing all those moves seems to help with hypertrophy. Everybody wants the big guns man! Thats what people look for to assess the measure of your strength. Those freakin bi's and tri's.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never like the EZ bar, I dont know how to hold it. I do love my biceps and I have built them using LOTS of curls. I used to give a whole day to biceps blasting them hard for an hour. The story is normally that biceps are small and dont need to be hit with many sets but I did it anyway. I ALWAYS start with barbell CHEAT curls very heavy lots of cheating. I know it seem wrong but always worked awesome with me.

I did lots of dumbell curls too and always did perfect form sets too but always after cheating sets.

Keep it up. Try cable curls at the end of your workouts at a high 15 reps for 2-3 sets.

B

Bulk

Awards
Mike Mentzer always said, "never use an easy curl bar for building your biceps, as it will train more brachialis".

M

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
try db incline curls, weight chin ups, hammer curls, concentration curls, cable curls, reverse grip curls, 21's are really good, drag curls umm just try everything just start giving yourself a bicep day and just do like every bicep workout you can with full energy and intensity and see what happens lol make sure your also doing your compound lifts deads, squats to promote GH to help build your arms man

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That damn bar hurts my wrists now anyways. I haven't used an EZ curl bar in a long time and I tried it last weekend. I feel sorry I did, because my wrists hurt for a couple days after that.

I like the fixed barbell curls better as it is easier to move around the gym with. I like to stand sideways in the mirror so I can watch my back and elbows.

I can curl 100lb for 8 reps or so. Never go any heavier than that though as I try to focus on form and TuT.

N

nemz08

Awards

Eat more

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i was curling 115lbs when i was in highschool with 14 inch arms. Now my arms are up to 17.5inches and its been years since ive ever even attempted to curl more then 100. form is everything. I can only imagine what i looked like back then.

Barbell curls, dumbell curls, CG bench and Dips..........you need to remember that triceps take up more room on your arm then your biceps do. In other words if you tri's grow then your arms will be bigger then trying to make your bi's grow. Stronger tri's = bigger bench, shoulder presses = bigger upperbody all over.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if your arms are 14.25" and you are curling 100lbs, your form is probably... literally... 30% there. you are probably not keeping tension the whole time, your forearms may be doing some of the work, and the obvious problems like jerking etc.. Solution?
When doing bicep work I never focus on curling weight. I focus on lowering weight. Do a 2 to 3 second eccentric and a 2 to 3 second concentric with strict form for 12 to 15 repetitions then tell me how much weight you use. ;)

I have 17.5" arms and never curl more than 60-70lbs. Weight does not make you big, time under tension does.

Triceps make up 2/3 or more of the mass of your arms. Arm size is not just about the bicep.

M

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
good stuff and some say 21's are useless but i use them at the start to get the blood flowing there then start my workout bi's are growing better than ever for me

Sharkk

Sharkk

Awards
"I also used a lot of visualization in biceps training. In my mind I saw my biceps as mountains, enormously huge, and I pictured myself lifting tremendous amounts of weight with these superhuman masses of muscle ." Arnold Quote

bodybuilding.com/fun/arnold_arm_secrets.htm

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
My arms are 17" flexed @ 170lbs..... My workout uses mostly dumbbells..... Maybe a arm day would look like this.

DB curls: 35lbs each hand x 12... Then 40lbs x 10 total of 4 sets.
DB hammer curls. 40lbs each hand x 12... Then 45 x 10 total 4 sets.
DB incline curls. Same as DB curls.

Lying tricep extensions 35lbs each hand x 10...Then 40lbs x 10 4 sets.
Cable press downs 60lbs x 12... Then 70 x 10 total of 4 sets
One arm tricep extensions 40lbs x 12... Then 45 x 10 total 4 sets.

If you noticed, I don't use a ton of weight.... Five years ago when I started working out, my arms were 14.5" flexed and I was 180lbs.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weight does not make you big, time under tension does.
QUOTE]

Weight is key to getting big...

Long ago they used to use excersises where you just hold it in the middle of the lift and keep the muscle under tension forever. This technique was proved to be only sligthly effective and normal reps complete up and down motion is better.

Other people please chime in as well with your 2 cents. Heavy resistance is key to building.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I always say trying to build just biceps is like spot reducing. You can't do it. If you want big arms, stick to all your basic compound movements (Bench, squats, deadlifts) and don't neglect any body part. As your WHOLE body grows, so will your arms.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
QUOTE]

Long ago they used to use excersises where you just hold it in the middle of the lift and keep the muscle under tension forever. This technique was proved to be only sligthly effective and normal reps complete up and down motion is better.

Other people please chime in as well with your 2 cents. Heavy resistance is key to building.
IMO, heavy weight-low reps=strength
lower weight-higher reps=hypertrophy

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Shall I assume you mean other people besides me?

You are missing the point. Time under tension throughout the range of motion plus the weight is work load.

60lbs for 15 reps at 5 seconds a rep is a lot more work load than 100lbs for 8 reps at 3 seconds a rep. As a matter of fact it is nearly twice the work load.

15 reps x 5 seconds x 60lbs = 4500
8 reps x 3 seconds x 100lbs = 2400

Time under tension, progressive overload and periodization, while avoiding adaptation is the key, IMHO, and IMPE, to hypertrophy.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For allot of people it is a mass issue.. Just need over all more mass, arms will come up as you grow.

I like Drag Curls. With a nice 3-5sec negative. I feel like these helped bring up my bis from my weakest bodypart, to one of my best.

Also seated DB, or BB curls.

Incline DB curls

Just as an aside.. Where do you guys curl to?(ie. chest,neck, eyes, etc)

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
i always curl to my shoulders..i have long arms..if ur curling any higher, your taking the stress off ur bi's and using ur back. I always keep my elbows planted in my rib cage

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i always curl to my shoulders..i have long arms..if ur curling any higher, your taking the stress off ur bi's and using ur back. I always keep my elbows planted in my rib cage
I started curing to my nose level on some movements a while back, and for me, it seems to work better. I feel it adds additional stress.
Pretty much like this(35sec in)
YouTube - David Henry - Mr Olympia 2008

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
while that does allow you to use additional weight, that trains other muscles besides ur bi's and it doesn't allow you to focus on them. yes it will add mass but more to ur back and other muscles than ur bi's

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
while that does allow you to use additional weight, that trains other muscles besides ur bi's and it doesn't allow you to focus on them. yes it will add mass but more to ur back and other muscles than ur bi's
I disagree, but to each his own..lol I actually think i am a bit stronger on conventional curls.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
i understand... it is definitely beneficial to incorporate this type of curl in your workout, however you cannot rely soley on it.

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
If you focus and fret about arm size it doesnt help. It seems to be a combination of exercises and the variation of them that does the trick. I did nothing but barbell curls for years to no avail, when I combined alternate DB curls, and DB con curls with the BB it definately made a diff.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
yep, the moral of the story is continuously change your workouts with different exercises that train the muscle differently...shock them

MSE

MSE

Awards
I think many of you are placing too much emphasis on just the biceps. The triceps are a much larger/stronger part of the arm. The arm is made up of 60% tricep and 40% bicep (over simplyifing possibly). But to complain about arm size in general, without having a dedicated arm day is totally ridiculous.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I think many of you are placing too much emphasis on just the biceps. The triceps are a much larger/stronger part of the arm. The arm is made up of 60% tricep and 40% bicep (over simplyifing possibly). But to complain about arm size in general, without having a dedicated arm day is totally ridiculous.
Yes sir!:notworthy:

S

sigmachiagg11

Awards
Shall I assume you mean other people besides me?

You are missing the point. Time under tension throughout the range of motion plus the weight is work load.

60lbs for 15 reps at 5 seconds a rep is a lot more work load than 100lbs for 8 reps at 3 seconds a rep. As a matter of fact it is nearly twice the work load.

15 reps x 5 seconds x 60lbs = 4500
8 reps x 3 seconds x 100lbs = 2400

Time under tension, progressive overload and periodization, while avoiding adaptation is the key, IMHO, and IMPE, to hypertrophy.

I have to agree with you. I have been focusing on the eccentric portion lately and have been noticing excellent results. As a matter of fact, i got a 1/4 inch on my arms in less than 2 weeks. I found somethin posted by datbtrue called "Fiber Damage/Fiber Saturation," which is an adaptation of some of Eric Brosers programs i believe. I began using it in conjunction with a log i recently started (using some supps), and have been pretty impressed. heres an example of one of the workouts i did:

Day 13: Back and Bi's
Back
Part 1 (Fiber Damage)
Pullups-1x5+ 1 assist, 1x4+2 assisted reps. TEMPO-(5,1,X)
Close Grip Cable Row-130x6 150x5+2 assisted reps (1,3,1)
Underhand Grip Cable Row-130x6 (3,1,X)
Fiber Saturation
T Bar Rows- 45x27+3 assisted reps
Barbell Rows- 105x14 r.p. 3

Bis
Fiber Damage
Barbel Curl-95x3, 95x3 + 3 assist (3/0/X)
DB Curl-35x3 30x3 (6/1/1)
Fiber Saturation
DB Curl- 20x10
Reverse Curl40x20 superset hammer curls 15x20
Close Grip EZ Bar-40x9 dropset 30x6

Now my arms are 15.5 :). Again, changing it up is always key. Good luck :head:

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I have to agree with you. I have been focusing on the eccentric portion lately and have been noticing excellent results. As a matter of fact, i got a 1/4 inch on my arms in less than 2 weeks. I found somethin posted by datbtrue called "Fiber Damage/Fiber Saturation," which is an adaptation of some of Eric Brosers programs i believe. I began using it in conjunction with a log i recently started (using some supps), and have been pretty impressed. heres an example of one of the workouts i did:

Day 13: Back and Bi's
Back
Part 1 (Fiber Damage)
Pullups-1x5+ 1 assist, 1x4+2 assisted reps. TEMPO-(5,1,X)
Close Grip Cable Row-130x6 150x5+2 assisted reps (1,3,1)
Underhand Grip Cable Row-130x6 (3,1,X)
Fiber Saturation
T Bar Rows- 45x27+3 assisted reps
Barbell Rows- 105x14 r.p. 3

Bis
Fiber Damage
Barbel Curl-95x3, 95x3 + 3 assist (3/0/X)
DB Curl-35x3 30x3 (6/1/1)
Fiber Saturation
DB Curl- 20x10
Reverse Curl40x20 superset hammer curls 15x20
Close Grip EZ Bar-40x9 dropset 30x6

Now my arms are 15.5 :). Again, changing it up is always key. Good luck :head:

Explain this Saturation thing?
Also does anybody have any detailed articles on this style of TUT training? I tried some of this TUT for my bicep workout a few days ago, lowered the weight by a good 25lbs, and did it slow, form was easier to maintain, and lowered the weight slowly and the burn... kicked in hard. Did a certain weight twice, then used another barbell 11lbs less... worked my way down till I did about 6 or so sets... trying to keep the tension in as logn as possible... I think i got down to curling something like 55lbs barbell... but the burn/pump was amazing... unlike any bicep workout I've felt before (except this one time I was high on energy and was finding chin-ups easy so I did them MEGA slow and my biceps felt like they were going to explode).

so if anyone has any details articles / info on this post away I want to read more into it! (also does this improve strength? Im asking because biceps dont really contribute much in terms of deads/squats/bench etc... so if TUT low weight works for gaining mass in the arms then why not... but I'm thinking of trying this for the tricep... but I dont want to have big+weak tri's either by doing this...)