I'm Back.. with more Questions lol

Dru

Dru

Awards
Well im almost 20, about 5'9, 156 lbs.
I really want to put some muscle mass on and my current routine looks like this:
Monday- Chest, Shoulders, Back
Tuesday-Biceps and Triceps
Wed- Legs
Thurs- Chest, Shoulders, Back
Friday- Biceps and Triceps

I cant do Deadlifts because of my knees and i do Squats on the smith machine just to be safe. Im really looking to up my bench press since i have been stuck at 55lbs/side for 6-8 reps for awhile now but i work out alone so i get nervous with going up in the weight so i usually do Hammer Strength Machine max 70lbs/side for 6-8 reps (seems to be getting me sore). Anyways to sum it up if anyone has any suggestions towards my current routine that would be great. Also what rep range should i be focusing on? Will heavy dips get me bigger triceps (my weakest area)? Do i HAVE to do Flat Barbell Bench Press for developing Chest? If i can only do 10-12 reps for Wide Grip Pullups for the first set should i go to the assisted machine for the 2nd,3rd and 4th (i usually get 10,6-8,4-6,4-6 with bodyweight)? Thanks ALOT

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
hey bro, try working out legs twice in a week, but make sure they are far enough apart from eachother. when i started doing legs twice in one week my upper body exploded. and i usually stay away from the smith machine. ive seen alot of injury with smith machines. try to use the squat rack for squats, and rack up the safeties. its a whole different world, trust me. alot of people see different results with different rep ranges, i stick to 10-12 sometimes 8-12. and it doesnt hurt to ask someone around u for a spot if you need it!

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Well im almost 20, about 5'9, 156 lbs.
I really want to put some muscle mass on and my current routine looks like this:
Monday- Chest, Shoulders, Back
Tuesday-Biceps and Triceps
Wed- Legs
Thurs- Chest, Shoulders, Back
Friday- Biceps and Triceps
Change to:
M: Legs
T: Chest, Triceps (pushing motion)
W: Rest or light cardio
Th: Back, Biceps (pulling motion)
F: Legs

M: Chest, Triceps (pushing motion)
T: Back, Biceps (pulling motion)
Th: Legs
F: Chest, Triceps (pushing motion)

M: Back, Biceps (pulling motion)
T: Legs
Th: Chest, Triceps (pushing motion)
F: Back, Biceps (pulling motion)

Repeat from week 1

Seperating pushing from pulling motions and hitting every 4 to 5 days will allow for sufficient recovery. No real need to train five days in a row if you are lifing hard and heavy.

I cant do Deadlifts because of my knees and i do Squats on the smith machine just to be safe. Im really looking to up my bench press since i have been stuck at 55lbs/side for 6-8 reps for awhile now but i work out alone so i get nervous with going up in the weight so i usually do Hammer Strength Machine max 70lbs/side for 6-8 reps (seems to be getting me sore). Do i HAVE to do Flat Barbell Bench Press for developing Chest?
Forget flat barbell bench press for a while. Continue to use the Hmr Str chest press and alternate with flat DB presses. For Hmr Str, work (over time) from current 70 lbs/side until you can hit 10 reps, then increase each side by 2.5 lbs and work you're way up to 10 again. Continue to repeat by adding 2.5 lbs and working your way up to 10.

Anyways to sum it up if anyone has any suggestions towards my current routine that would be great. Also what rep range should i be focusing on? Will heavy dips get me bigger triceps (my weakest area)?
For hypertrophy, 7 to 10 reps should be sufficient. Goals is to continue to add bar weight over time. Weighted dips are a good choice for Tris. Attempt to increase weight and reps over time.

If i can only do 10-12 reps for Wide Grip Pullups for the first set should i go to the assisted machine for the 2nd,3rd and 4th (i usually get 10,6-8,4-6,4-6 with bodyweight)? Thanks ALOT
No! Just continue to work them until the later sets get more reps. You might also try to change to 8,8,8,8. Fatigue management is important. If you fry yourself on the first set, you'll quickly get diminishing returns on the subsequent sets.

Make sure you are getting sufficient recovery time and your diet matches your goals.

M

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
personally in my opinion to get better strength gains and better mass gains i would separate everything like this
M: Chest
W: Back
T: Shoulders
F: Bi's and tris

I think you are just doing the same old lifts over and over and your doing to much for your body to handle in one workout so i would split it up that way every muscle gets worked to its full potential and overloaded with weight with no other muscles to help out ya kno thats just my opinion for ya man and eat alot!!

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
personally in my opinion to get better strength gains and better mass gains i would separate everything like this
M: Chest
W: Back
T: Shoulders
F: Bi's and tris

I think you are just doing the same old lifts over and over and your doing to much for your body to handle in one workout so i would split it up that way every muscle gets worked to its full potential and overloaded with weight with no other muscles to help out ya kno thats just my opinion for ya man and eat alot!!
If you are able to fully recover in 4 to 5 days, the protocol that you recommend will be suboptimal as you'll hit each grouping less frequently.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Over training. When are you planning on growing?