join the gym, or buy supplements and home train?

  1. join the gym, or buy supplements and home train?


    I'm from Australia, only 17. and i'm new to weight training. i've just been using a 20k dumbbell set i have at home, eating alot and using a mass gainer, and a cheap tri-creatine malate. (Body Ripped).

    currently i can only afford to 1. use a supplement. 2. join the gym. or 3. save for awhile and buy a olympic barbell set.

    however the weight i have at the moment is well.. ****.
    although i do many sets, 10 to be exact, of dumbbell curls, shoulder shrugs, vertical presses, incline presses, push-ups and 5 sets of sit-ups. i do that 4-5 times a week, while using a mass gainer.

    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.


  2. gym membership and/or saving for olympic set will be your best bet.

    FOOD is your best supplement right now bro. Also you can get CHEAP creatine from Nutraplanet (like 12 bucks for a kilo, at 5-10g ed thats a ton of servings). I would get some cheapo creatine as I said and then eat ALOT and eat correctly, check the diet section, do alot of searching then go ahead and post up what you figure will be appropriate for a diet to have it critiqued, dont just post up asking for a diet, you wont get one as they are posted everywhere already.

    So a strong diet a lil creatine and a gym membership so you can do some real and intense workouts will make you grow more then ever. check the following forums for info then grow!

    Training Forum
    Bulking
    Nutrition / Health
    Workout Logs (very good to see others ideas put in action and their direct results)

  3. Gym
    •   
       


  4. fukk the gym. My first few years were spent training in the garage, why spend $80/month on a membership when you can deck yourself out with an Olympic barbell set. You are more inclined to train heavy on the basics when you train at home as well instead of playing around with isolation movements on cables etc........try it for a year or so. If you dont like it you can always sell the equipment for a decent price on ebay.

  5. Some guys in the gym are there to perform (show off) notice how the biggest guys tend to mind their own buisness and go ape shiet. Not saying that is you but at home its just you and your music doing what has to get done, no waiting, no posers, no dress code and no onlookers.

    I personally think a mixture is nice, if your local pool has a nice set of weights its nice to mix it up and hit the hot tub afterwards. Women in bikinis is nice but either way i think its best to start at home, get in a routine, get all your workouts planned and structured free of distraction.

    The gym is great too, lots of equipment, spotters when needed and someone else does the laundry.

  6. Don't even bother with supplements. Anything that's legal in Australia isn't worth the money.

  7. Home train all the way.

    Nothing beats being able to spit on the floor, swear and grunt without getting dirty looks from people.

    Plus I'd go for a pullup bar and a backpack full of rocks over a fancy nautilus machine anyday.

    if you need motivation, just watch Rocky IV.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Space View Post
    Don't even bother with supplements. Anything that's legal in Australia isn't worth the money.
    really? i thought that a 5kg tub of body ripped's body blast for 109 AUD was cheap for the amount that you get.

    seeing as i dont have a car at the moment and getting to the gym where i live would be a trek and a half. i might try the hometraining, was their any other lifts/excersices i should /can do with some dumbbells and a barbell that i've missed?

    as far as the food goes, i can probably only fit in about four meals a day. i try to eat good carbs, meat, eggs etc.


    thanks guys, really appreciate your help.

  9. i'd say gym unless u have a lot of $$$ to invest on ur home set.

    Just keep in mind that when u're looking to gain serious results, u'll be constantly changing the weights. Especially with squats, deadlifts and bench.

  10. definately go for a gym membership i pary 20 bucks a month best investment ive mad yet, eat like a horse to grow. getting a home gym to me isnt as motivational as actually going to the gym but thats just me you can do w.e u want but i suggest a gym membership, for exercises to learn go to the excercise forum on here, or go to bodybulding.com and search exercises they have every exercise you can do pretty much, cheers and good luck mate!

  11. ^^ you pay $20/month for a gym membership in australia?? where bouts?

  12. nah i dont live in australia im from micigan, its a decent gym got the basics and a lil extra but i use all mainly dumbells so i get what i need to get done, i got the 20 dollar account cuz you half off on stuff in the gym its called Planet Fitness they got a site too

  13. The money I initially spent on the first gym I joined was the best money I've ever spent.

  14. gyms in sydney are a rip off. when i went home at Xmas it cost me $65 for a 2 week pass. I think its around $80 a month and they are nothing special trust me.

  15. If you have the room.... Build your own!.... I've had mine for 5 years now and I'm motivated every time I walk into it.... I also have my computer in the room because I can listen to my own music, maybe do a little search on AM in between sets and I can also search different exercises..... This pic doesn't justify the room... It's bigger than it looks.. 20x16 and it's all mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  16. Only 4 meals a day? Have more faith in yourself. I say skip the gym if you can get enough weights at home. Keep your exercises simple - bench press, squats, deadlifts, rows. Maybe some old school calesthenics liek pushups and some isometrics. Spend the money on meat.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mills View Post
    If you have the room.... Build your own!.... I've had mine for 5 years now and I'm motivated every time I walk into it.... I also have my computer in the room because I can listen to my own music, maybe do a little search on AM in between sets and I can also search different exercises..... This pic doesn't justify the room... It's bigger than it looks.. 20x16 and it's all mine
    even the dolls in the corner?
    SFW and GFH

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    even the dolls in the corner?
    I was waiting for that.... Could have moved them before I took the pic... But figured they would make a good conversation piece.... My wife collects them and didn't put them away.... See that little door to the right of them... That's where they live.... All 240 of them.

  19. I think at 17yrs old I would get the gym membership. For one it will take time to save for a good home gym. For 2 I assume you live at home so it will be taking up space in your parents home?

    But for the main reason you are still working to reach your potential and you could learn quite a bit from people at the gym that know what they are doing. I still learn something new at the gym. An exercise I've never tried that might work better. Or just plain having access to all the machines and free weights.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mills View Post
    I was waiting for that.... Could have moved them before I took the pic... But figured they would make a good conversation piece.... My wife collects them and didn't put them away.... See that little door to the right of them... That's where they live.... All 240 of them.
    that would creep me out. They are definitely watching you while you lift!!!
    SFW and GFH

  21. Building a decent home gym is expensive. Building a really good one is REALLY expensive.

    Of course, your lifts will be simple compounds at first that you could probably do with a bench, a power rack, and a pile of 45 pound plates, but eventually you're going to want to start varying your exercises and doing more complex movements. I think heavy dumbell training is extremely important, and those aren't cheap. There are also a lot of machines that you will like to try out once you get a feel for it.

    My advice: gym membership, bulk creatine, weight gainer (you can make your own if you buy cheap whey), and FOOD.

    If you do decide to build your home gym, your first investment should be a barbell with plenty of plates and a power rack. If you're not deadlifting and squatting, you're not really training.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    gyms in sydney are a rip off. when i went home at Xmas it cost me $65 for a 2 week pass. I think its around $80 a month and they are nothing special trust me.

    god damn..

    Sydney seems hell expensive.
    In perth i'm paying $45 a month. But it is a university gym

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    gyms in sydney are a rip off. when i went home at Xmas it cost me $65 for a 2 week pass. I think its around $80 a month and they are nothing special trust me.
    If thats the only way to get a good place to work out I'd pay it.
    The benefits of a gym, having everything you need at your disposal, and a bunch of people around to motivate is definatley worth the investment.

  24. dude joe that avi is awesome bro, LOL.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    dude joe that avi is awesome bro, LOL.
    haha thanks man, I saw it and i was like that shts awesome

  26. You guys are definatly right about the gym part they are really expensive in sydney.. got into abit with the law back there and the local copper let me use the gym at the youth centre, you know get me off the streets to do something constructive, so i used to used it acouple times a week and follow up with some home training, seemed to do the job quite well and it was practically free but i've moved interstate since then and don't have that luxury at the moment lol.

    however, until i figure my sh*t out im probably going to have to home train for awhile. i did however pick up and EZ curl bar and 20k of plates for 20 bucks, i thought that was a bargain.

    yeah, i do live at home but there's plenty of room to go around i've got the go ahead if it's what i want to do. i don't know much, but can one still make gain's using only a barbell, dumbbell's and add weights to it when needed? in the mean time while i look for a gym nearby.

    cheers.

  27. get a bench and olympic bar and 225-300lbs in plates asap.

    that will give you, BENCH, Squats and DEADS that will make you grow plenty for now... as you go along you can fill it in with more variants and more machinery.

    Good luck man.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Kurruptive View Post
    You guys are definatly right about the gym part they are really expensive in sydney.. got into abit with the law back there and the local copper let me use the gym at the youth centre, you know get me off the streets to do something constructive, so i used to used it acouple times a week and follow up with some home training, seemed to do the job quite well and it was practically free but i've moved interstate since then and don't have that luxury at the moment lol.

    however, until i figure my sh*t out im probably going to have to home train for awhile. i did however pick up and EZ curl bar and 20k of plates for 20 bucks, i thought that was a bargain.

    yeah, i do live at home but there's plenty of room to go around i've got the go ahead if it's what i want to do. i don't know much, but can one still make gain's using only a barbell, dumbbell's and add weights to it when needed? in the mean time while i look for a gym nearby.

    cheers.
    Fo sho! it did me and my brothers for a few years. Made some great gains back then in the garage. By the time i joined a gym i was used to using free weights and steared clear of the fancy machines.

  29. Where in Australia do you guys live?

    I lived in Black Rock, Victoria for a few years due to my Dad's job. About an hour and half southeast of Melbourne.

  30. Im from western Sydney.....now live in London.

  31. I vote GYM!!!

    #1 - motivation...if you find a good gym with real lifters, you will be motivated. You know you are there for business, and the atmosphere supports it. When you are at home its too easy to get side tracked with chores, or other things you might need to do.

    #2 - spotters. You will need them

    #3 - better equipment. They have stuff you will never be able to afford, and more weight. Seriously...I could never afford the 130 lb. dumbells I use at the gym, or the 600+ lbs of weights I need to deadlift.

    At your age...EAT, cheap creatine, EAT, train, EAT more!!!

  32. I outfitted myself a gym in my garage for very little money. Sears had a sale on an olympic barbell set with the rubber around the plates. Was like $250 for the Bar and 350Lbs of plates. Even just this you can do deadlifts, OHP, snatches, clean & Jerk, Squats, curls, bent rows, ETC.... with just the bar and the wight. Then in another month save another $150 bucks and buy a power rack. You go to garage sales, or look online. I bought mine new online for 150 bucks. It isn't a huge awsome one, but it has bar rests, and safety pins, I could then do heavier squats because I didn't have to clean the weight up and press it over my head to get the bar o my shoulders. Lets see, then I got a bench, like 60 bucks for a cheap one. Now I can do basically everything you can do in a gym. Also got a chinup bar for like 30 bucks, Hell you can make one for free probably. Just screwed it to the rafters.

    Once you HAVE your equipment, you will never have to shell out a monthly fee again, then you can take that 40 or 50 or whatever a month and put it towards supplements.

    V

  33. Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    Fo sho! it did me and my brothers for a few years. Made some great gains back then in the garage. By the time i joined a gym i was used to using free weights and steared clear of the fancy machines.
    Australian made: how much weight and equipment were you guys using, and what excersizes did you do? and in comparison to using the gym now, were they equal or much lesser training at home?

    don't get me wrong here dudes, joining the gym is my ultimate solution. just curious to know if it's possible to still get some results from home.

    on another note, i want get bigger but not fatter, as i think i've got a body fat problem in the stomach region maybe 5-6kgs. everywhere else seems to be fine, well not fine but not bothering me should i still be bulking and cut that fat off later, or vice versa?

    i'll put up pics when i hit 20 posts

    cheers.

  34. Quote Originally Posted by Kurruptive View Post
    Australian made: how much weight and equipment were you guys using, and what excersizes did you do? and in comparison to using the gym now, were they equal or much lesser training at home?

    don't get me wrong here dudes, joining the gym is my ultimate solution. just curious to know if it's possible to still get some results from home.

    on another note, i want get bigger but not fatter, as i think i've got a body fat problem in the stomach region maybe 5-6kgs. everywhere else seems to be fine, well not fine but not bothering me should i still be bulking and cut that fat off later, or vice versa?

    i'll put up pics when i hit 20 posts

    cheers.
    Its definatley possible to get results with limited equipment, just less convienent and there are limitiations. For an entire summer I solely lifted in my basement where I had a bench/squat rack, lat pull down, a 300lb weight set and limited DB's. I still was able to hit each bodypart twice a week and keep my workouts interesting. But I still recommend a gym membership if possible, the only reason i lifted in my basement was b/c I didn't have my license yet.

  35. Hmmm....how much is this gym membership gonna set you back a month? And what kind of gym is it?

    A home gym is always nice but not always practical. If your local gym isn't full of posers and ain't a rip off I would go there....more like minded people to get advice from and if your looking to stay lean you could always jog/cycle there if it's a trek and a half!

  36. Hmmm....how much is this gym membership gonna set you back a month? And what kind of gym is it?

    A home gym is always nice but not always practical. If your local gym isn't full of posers and ain't a rip off I would go there....more like minded people to get advice from and if your looking to stay lean you could always jog/cycle there if it's a trek and a half!

  37. Hmmm....how much is this gym membership gonna set you back a month? And what kind of gym is it?

    A home gym is always nice but not always practical. If your local gym isn't full of posers and ain't a rip off I would go there....more like minded people to get advice from and if your looking to stay lean you could always jog/cycle there if it's a trek and a half!

  38. gym because you can learn alot while at home you can be making a lot of mistakes with no one around to correct you spot you
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Join My Experiment
    By bomb402 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 10:33 AM
  2. About to join the 10%+ nationwide
    By Bnatural in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 12:52 AM
  3. Home Sweet Home!
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM
  4. For those who seek a home within a home...
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Log in
Log in