stretching

  1. stretching


    how much can not stretching affect muscle growth and recover?


  2. I always used to stretch a lot before working out. However, I was reading an MD mag little while back and he stated not to over stretch if at all, you want to keep the muscle tight to actually prevent injury. It sounded weird at first to me, but i kinda stick to it now. I wish I could find the issue.

  3. I never, ever stretch aside from internal shoulder and foam rollers after a workout. My flexibility is still pretty good.
    •   
       


  4. I can do a full split!

    The longer a muscle is, the more room the belly has to expand.

    So by stretching, your making your muscles bigger. It's also a form of active recovery

  5. Static and dynamic stretching are a must in my training. It feels great to stretch after your work out.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by allstar View Post
    Static and dynamic stretching are a must in my training. It feels great to stretch after your work out.
    Agreed. I never stretch before a workout but whether it helps or not it just feels good to stretch after a workout. A foam roller is amazing too.

  7. Ah man, have you ever tried dynamic stretches before working out though?

  8. I stretch before and after lifting if for nothing other than improving my flexibility, which I find way more important than an extra couple pounds of muscle I might not gain.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by footster View Post
    I always used to stretch a lot before working out. However, I was reading an MD mag little while back and he stated not to over stretch if at all, you want to keep the muscle tight to actually prevent injury. It sounded weird at first to me, but i kinda stick to it now. I wish I could find the issue.
    i know stretching before working out is bad. i'm talking about after

  10. I'm pretty sure I see Olympic athletes stretching before their performances. Are we strictly talking "bad for building muscle"?

  11. Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    I'm pretty sure I see Olympic athletes stretching before their performances. Are we strictly talking "bad for building muscle"?
    stretching will weaken the muscle from what i've heard and read and increase the chance of injury.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by footster View Post
    I always used to stretch a lot before working out. However, I was reading an MD mag little while back and he stated not to over stretch if at all, you want to keep the muscle tight to actually prevent injury. It sounded weird at first to me, but i kinda stick to it now. I wish I could find the issue.
    The article in MD mag stated that you shouldn't emphasize stretching prior to working out, as it would increase the risk of injury. Instead of stretching the article suggested you do simple body movements like arm circles, jumping jacks, and other actions of that nature. This will increase blood flow to your body and 'grease the joints' so to be speak before a workout. However, it's beneficial to stretch after a workout.

  13. DC is built around stretching and I've been making the best gains over the past 12 weeks using this training, and stretching.

    I'd sy check out the DC stretches and maybe try them after your done with a body part for that day.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    DC is built around stretching and I've been making the best gains over the past 12 weeks using this training, and stretching.

    I'd sy check out the DC stretches and maybe try them after your done with a body part for that day.
    DC stretching is not for the weak at heart. I do DC and the stretches are gruesome, but for good reason. It works.

  15. Static stretching the agonist/working muscle, pre workout is counterproductive, simple as that. Not only can it result to injury, but it significantly decreases power output, which will effect every lift.

    An alternate suggestion would be to stretch the working muscles antagonist -- for instance, the lats when training shoulders. After your workout, it's fine to include some technique of a full body static stretch.

  16. Dynamic stretching has been shown to increase during exercise muscle strength, while static stretching has been shown to decrease during exercise muscle strength. Dynamic stretching pre workout and static stretching post workout are the best ways to do it.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    Dynamic stretching has been shown to increase during exercise muscle strength, while static stretching has been shown to decrease during exercise muscle strength. Dynamic stretching pre workout and static stretching post workout are the best ways to do it.
    Any stretching of the exercising muscle will decrease motor unit and power output.

    KM

  18. On a health note, make sure to stretch the core / torso as that's where your organs are. Pressure and stress goes onto the torso, thereby compressing your organs. Stretch it out and be healthy. Doing these stretches for your core will also help your limbs and consequently your performance.

  19. You guys should also note that most professional bodybuilders can achieve a full split

    Not something I'd want to see though

  20. I'd rather gain 3 inches by stretching than gain 10lbs of muscle. Because that is an extra 3 inches that you can increase size by lifting, therefor making you appear overall much bigger

  21. i should have stated originally i was talking about post workout stretching i know doing it before hand is stupid

  22. Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    i should have stated originally i was talking about post workout stretching i know doing it before hand is stupid
    Indeed I wait until post workout, and I also stretch at seperate times of the day during my other workouts.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Stretching
    By drewsky90 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
  2. Stretching
    By joshingyou in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 12:57 PM
  3. Stretching - Anyone do it?
    By tranceaddict in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
  4. Stretching...
    By PumpingIron in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM
  5. stretching
    By LakeMountD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Log in
Log in