stretching

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

stretching

how much can not stretching affect muscle growth and recover?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  217 lbs.
    Answers

I always used to stretch a lot before working out. However, I was reading an MD mag little while back and he stated not to over stretch if at all, you want to keep the muscle tight to actually prevent injury. It sounded weird at first to me, but i kinda stick to it now. I wish I could find the issue.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I never, ever stretch aside from internal shoulder and foam rollers after a workout. My flexibility is still pretty good.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

I can do a full split!

The longer a muscle is, the more room the belly has to expand.

So by stretching, your making your muscles bigger. It's also a form of active recovery
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Answers

Static and dynamic stretching are a must in my training. It feels great to stretch after your work out.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by allstar View Post
    Static and dynamic stretching are a must in my training. It feels great to stretch after your work out.
    Agreed. I never stretch before a workout but whether it helps or not it just feels good to stretch after a workout. A foam roller is amazing too.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Answers

Ah man, have you ever tried dynamic stretches before working out though?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I stretch before and after lifting if for nothing other than improving my flexibility, which I find way more important than an extra couple pounds of muscle I might not gain.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by footster View Post
    I always used to stretch a lot before working out. However, I was reading an MD mag little while back and he stated not to over stretch if at all, you want to keep the muscle tight to actually prevent injury. It sounded weird at first to me, but i kinda stick to it now. I wish I could find the issue.
    i know stretching before working out is bad. i'm talking about after
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Answers

I'm pretty sure I see Olympic athletes stretching before their performances. Are we strictly talking "bad for building muscle"?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShakesAllDay View Post
    I'm pretty sure I see Olympic athletes stretching before their performances. Are we strictly talking "bad for building muscle"?
    stretching will weaken the muscle from what i've heard and read and increase the chance of injury.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  227 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by footster View Post
    The article in MD mag stated that you shouldn't emphasize stretching prior to working out, as it would increase the risk of injury. Instead of stretching the article suggested you do simple body movements like arm circles, jumping jacks, and other actions of that nature. This will increase blood flow to your body and 'grease the joints' so to be speak before a workout. However, it's beneficial to stretch after a workout.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Answers

DC is built around stretching and I've been making the best gains over the past 12 weeks using this training, and stretching.

I'd sy check out the DC stretches and maybe try them after your done with a body part for that day.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  227 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    DC is built around stretching and I've been making the best gains over the past 12 weeks using this training, and stretching.

I'd sy check out the DC stretches and maybe try them after your done with a body part for that day.
    DC stretching is not for the weak at heart. I do DC and the stretches are gruesome, but for good reason. It works.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Static stretching the agonist/working muscle, pre workout is counterproductive, simple as that. Not only can it result to injury, but it significantly decreases power output, which will effect every lift.

An alternate suggestion would be to stretch the working muscles antagonist -- for instance, the lats when training shoulders. After your workout, it's fine to include some technique of a full body static stretch.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Answers

Dynamic stretching has been shown to increase during exercise muscle strength, while static stretching has been shown to decrease during exercise muscle strength. Dynamic stretching pre workout and static stretching post workout are the best ways to do it.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    Dynamic stretching has been shown to increase during exercise muscle strength, while static stretching has been shown to decrease during exercise muscle strength. Dynamic stretching pre workout and static stretching post workout are the best ways to do it.
    Any stretching of the exercising muscle will decrease motor unit and power output.

KM
  18. Registered User
    Answers

On a health note, make sure to stretch the core / torso as that's where your organs are. Pressure and stress goes onto the torso, thereby compressing your organs. Stretch it out and be healthy. Doing these stretches for your core will also help your limbs and consequently your performance.
  19. Registered User
    Answers

You guys should also note that most professional bodybuilders can achieve a full split

Not something I'd want to see though
  20. Registered User
    Answers

I'd rather gain 3 inches by stretching than gain 10lbs of muscle. Because that is an extra 3 inches that you can increase size by lifting, therefor making you appear overall much bigger
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

i should have stated originally i was talking about post workout stretching i know doing it before hand is stupid
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    i should have stated originally i was talking about post workout stretching i know doing it before hand is stupid
    Indeed I wait until post workout, and I also stretch at seperate times of the day during my other workouts.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Stretching
    By drewsky90 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
  2. Stretching
    By joshingyou in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
  3. Stretching - Anyone do it?
    By tranceaddict in forum Training Forum