Workout Help

BigEasy87

Awards
Hey guys I have been working out for around 6 months and am looking for a new workout schedule to bulk, as I have hit a plateau. Any input would be greatly appreciated, or any workouts that have helped in the past. Thanks guys

jfk

Awards
What does your current workout look like? # of days, bodyparts per week, lifts you incorporate, etc. My initial advice would be to change up what you've been doing. If you've been going light on the weights and doing lots of reps, up the weight and lower the reps. The opposite holds true as well. If you've only been at it for 6 months you probably haven't hit a true genetic plateau, but your muscles have probably got used to what you were throwing at em'. Switch grips up, do inclines, declines, close grip, wide grip. These variations might mean an initial decrease in the amount of weight you can put up....but that's a good thing because it mean's your body isn't used to it and will react by growing and getting stronger.

BigEasy87

Awards
Monday - Back

Pullups (Wide Grip)6 sets x failure
Close Grip Pulldowns 4 sets x 10 reps Back
Pulldowns (Wide Reverse Grip) 4 sets x failure
T-Bar Rows 4 sets x 10 reps
Bent Over Barbell (Reverse Grip) 4 sets x 10 reps
One Arm Dumbell Rows Off Rack 4 sets x 10 reps
Seated Cable Rows (Close Grip) 4 sets x 10 reps

Tuesday - Triceps and Shoulders
Reverse grip single arm cable pressdown 5 sets x 12 reps French Press w/ EZ Curl Bar 4 sets x 12 reps Concentration Curls on Bench 4 sets x 12 reps
Cable Concentration Curls 4 sets x 12 reps
Dumbell Shoulder Press 4 sets x 8 reps
Rear Lateral Raises 4 sets x 8 reps
Pec Deck Rear Laterals 4 sets x 8 reps

Wednesday - Biceps

Dumbell Curls 5 sets x 10 reps
Barbell Curls 4 sets x 10 reps
Concentration Curls 4 sets x 10 reps
Cable Concentration Curls 4 sets x 10 reps
Hammer Curls 4 sets x 10 reps

Thursday - Chest

Incline Barbell press 4 sets x 10 reps
Flat Bench 4 sets x 10 reps
Flat Bench Flyes 4 sets x 15 reps
Pushups 4 sets x failure

Friday - Legs

Leg Extensions 3 sets x 15
Squats 2 sets x 15 reps
Leg Press 3 sets x 30 reps
Lying Leg Curl 4 sets x 12 reps
Seated Leg Curl 3 sets x 20 reps

This is my current workout schedule, taking Saturday and Sunday off.

landfill

Awards
Back
Pullups (Wide Grip)3sets x failure[or 6-8reps]
Bent Over Barbell 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Dead lifts 3 sets x 6-8 reps

Triceps and Shoulders
Barbell press 3 x 6-8 reps
Upright rows 3 x 6-8reps
Close grip bench press 3 x 6-8reps

Biceps
Barbell Curls 3 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls 3 x 6-8 reps

Chest
Incline Barbell press 3 x 6-8 reps
Flat Bench 3 x 6-8 reps

Leg ext 2 x 10 reps-warm up for squats
Squats 4 x 8-10reps
Lying Leg Curl 2 x 10-12 reps
Standing calf raises 4 x 10-12 reps

The reason you've hit a plateau is because you're doing too much,highly likely you're overtraining.Some people can cope with this work load,but not many.You are doing too many sets,too many reps and too many exersises.Try the routine i've set out above,you can split it over 4 days or 5,whatever you prefer,but avoid training the same body part several times in the week.It may not look like much but if you use heavy weights with very good form you will get bigger and stronger.I am assuming you know how you should be eating to gain muscle? If not plenty of info on this board.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
since this is in the bulking section, i assume you want to get bigger.

you need to add deadlifts to your back day, military press to shoulders, dips to triceps, close grip bench to triceps, heavy (cheating) upright rows to shoulder, and probably chins to bicep day.

i agree with landfill, your volume is a little high, though landfill's setup would be too low for me.

secondly, your compound movements should always be first on your training days. landfill's setup also seems to emphasize this better.

if i were to set yours up, it would look more like:

M - back
deads
pull ups
bent over rows
close grip pulldowns

T - triceps and shoulders
military press
CG bench
Dips (body up and down, legs straight below you)
Heavy Upright rows
Side / Rear delt raises
reverse grip tricep pushdown

W - biceps
barbell curls
chin ups
hammer or pinwheel curls

Th - chest
bench
incline bench
chest dips (body forward, legs back)

F - legs
go with his setup here.

the only reason you're looking at so much volume on shoulder/tri day, is both muscles have three heads, so you have to hit each head to get the most growth. you could make a similar argument for leg (quad) day, which i will leave to your imagination.

BigEasy87

Awards
Thanks alot for your input guys, I will definatly try out this routine, also what is the target calorie intake if you are trying to bulk, I am currently eating 3000 a day, is that enough?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Thanks alot for your input guys, I will definatly try out this routine, also what is the target calorie intake if you are trying to bulk, I am currently eating 3000 a day, is that enough?
3k at your height and weight is probably not enough, though everyone is different. if you're not gaining weight off your diet, increase it by 500 calories per week until you do. when you stop gaining weight, increase it again.

landfill

Awards

To bulk without too much fat gain you need to eat 500cal above maintenance levels.If at 3000cals you're not gaining or loosing weight, then thats your maintenance level,but as you gain you'll need to periodically increase calories to keep gaining weight.
Read sunclouds Gaining Mass In a nutshell,to learn more about diet.

landfill

Awards
3k at your height and weight is probably not enough, though everyone is different. if you're not gaining weight off your diet, increase it by 500 calories per week until you do. when you stop gaining weight, increase it again.

He beat me to it........