smoking ciggaretes and gaining weight

lightweight57

Awards
im currently weighing 135 and i cant break this weight and its very fustrating can it be the ciggareates i hear it affects u from gaining weight .... ur advice would help

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
well, cigarettes aren't going to stop you completely from being able to put on muscle. they're just going to make it hard as hell. If you are looking to quit, try Chantix, it worked really well for myself and a few people that I know. If you aren't looking to quit, start checking into smoking's effect on you hormonally, and find some supps to help fight that, like AI's.

To start with, though, eat more. I know everyone says that, but it's true. If you can't gain weight at all, That is the only answer, you just aren't eating enough. You should at least be able to put on fat if you eat enough.

Good luck man.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
smoking = no weight gain.

i will preface this by saying that when i was smoking, i was locked at 151 lbs. i couldn't gain from there. i added 800 calories to my diet, and still maintained 151 lbs. when i quit, i kept my diet the same (with the 800 calorie surplus) and gained up to 158 before i had to increase my calories again.

something in the nicotine not only lowers your appetite, but prohibits accurate calorie absorption - at least for me it did.

figure out how much you're smoking - if its a pack a day, then thats where we start. every day, smoke 1/2 less of one cigarette, so the next day you're at 19 1/2 smokes. lower it by 1/2 a smoke a day till you get to 8-10 smokes. then start holding out on your first cigarette for as long as you can. i remember mine vividly. first i held out for 3 hours. then i tried to better that by 15 minutes a day. when you can wake up and not smoke for 6 hours, you can put it down without thinking about it - i did and i have been smoking since '95. the best part, is it only takes 6 weeks to get to there (depending on what you start with), and you'll feel so much better.

chantix works wonders though from what i hear.

lightweight57

Awards
yea im smoking about a pack every other day so ur saying when having a smoke just have half of it and then start cutting down from there

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you can. if you're at 10 smokes a day, try to go for 9 1/2 tomorrow, 9 the next day, 8 1/2 the day after, etc, and cut down as low as you can - which for you would be around 5 smokes, then go cold turkey from there. its easier to do because once you get down to half the smokes you were doing, you're kind of used to missing one here and there...

mmzawa

mmzawa

Awards
im currently weighing 135 and i cant break this weight and its very fustrating can it be the ciggareates i hear it affects u from gaining weight .... ur advice would help
Trust me quitting smoking makes a HUGE difference, i was smoking a pack a day when i started working out. After my prohormone cycle i was down to like 5 a day and now quit and feel a HELL LOT better, and gain much faster at the gym. So try your hardest to quit bro, it will make everything a **** load easier.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
something in the nicotine not only lowers your appetite, but prohibits accurate calorie absorption - at least for me it did.

True,nitoctine has anorectic properties but beyond that it will not magically erase calories.Smoking decreases protien synthesis as well as lowers NO levels,both of which are not remotely good for accrual of LBM.

MuscleHeadGuy

Banned
Awards
I don't understand it when people powerlift and/or bodybuild and smoke cigarettes.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
True,nitoctine has anorectic properties but beyond that it will not magically erase calories.Smoking decreases protien synthesis as well as lowers NO levels,both of which are not remotely good for accrual of LBM.
i knew there was something besides "suppressing appetite". thanks for the clear up on that.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
it sucked. i just kept lowering mine down by 1/2 a smoke per day. then i started holding off on my first cigarette, by holding out for 15 minutes more each day. when i finally got to not smoking after i'd been up 6 hours, i found the next step.

after 6 hours without, i camped myself at the health club. i worked out, then took a shower. went home, started fiending. went back to the club, and jumped in the hot tub - can't smoke when you're wet. i went back there 15 times over that day and the next every time i got a craving. after that 24 hour mark had passed, it was much easier to never look back.

dommer

Banned
Awards
how can you get chantix i wana quit but cant i keep going back for more

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
talk to your doctor - its all prescription. you can also try the patches. what brand and type do you smoke anyways?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
it sucked. i just kept lowering mine down by 1/2 a smoke per day. then i started holding off on my first cigarette, by holding out for 15 minutes more each day. when i finally got to not smoking after i'd been up 6 hours, i found the next step.

after 6 hours without, i camped myself at the health club. i worked out, then took a shower. went home, started fiending. went back to the club, and jumped in the hot tub - can't smoke when you're wet. i went back there 15 times over that day and the next every time i got a craving. after that 24 hour mark had passed, it was much easier to never look back.
That is intense. The staff at the health club must've thought you were mad!!!

MotionSickness

MotionSickness

Awards
I smoked from 1-3 packs a day from the age of 14 until a few months ago. (I'm 27) I quit using Chantix. It's really an amazing drug. I used to eat until I puked and then try to eat my puke. I used to take all kinds of supplements and had a very strict training program. Even a few years ago when I started with pro-hormones/steroids I still could NOT top 165lbs (Usual weight was 152-5. Quitting smoking was the BEST thing that I could EVER do for my training. Better than any supplement/prohorome/prosteroid on the market. Chantix is expensive, but more than worth every cent. Plus you get all of your money back when you stop buying cigarettes. It's also pretty great to get your life and lungs back. heh I didn't experience any sides from it really. I didn't quit on the recommended quit date, but soon after I just didn't need to smoke. It was like a gift from God. Also if you are going to take it, stay on it for the whole six months. Everyone I know who has tried it has stopped smoking on it, but some felt like they didn't need it any more after 2 months, especially due to the price. Each who stopped taking it prematurely started smoking again shortly after. Anyway, it's just an option. I definitely know your pain (heh) and I wish you a ton of luck sir!

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
i smoke like 1 or 2 a day at max...and not every day...any effect on bb?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i smoke like 1 or 2 a day at max...and not every day...any effect on bb?
according to the french government, up to 4 a day is OK, and they have the best health care in the world. healthwise you should be fine, again according to them, but as far as bodybuilding, yes it will affect your protein synthesis (i've heard), as well as lower your internal body temperature (which i know). according to my dad (canada, ministry of health), smoking also decreases the bodies ability to absorb vitamin C - not sure if that would affect you at only 2 a day.

link:
Smoking impairs muscle protein synthesis and increases the expression of myostatin and MAFbx in muscle -- Petersen et al. 293 (3): E843 -- AJP - Endocrinology and Metabolism

indianakelso

Awards
so is this just smoking or is it nicotine in general, i dip and have made good gains but now its got me wondering what my gains would be like with out it. I dip why i lift ha Be nice to quit tho this might be that good reason ive been lookin for

JetHead

Awards
Does Dip (smokeless tobacco) affect gains as well?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
food for thought: from b b dot c o m

Nicotine is the main ingredient of concern in smokeless tobacco. It is estimated that a normal, 30-minute dip of smokeless tobacco delivers the same amount of nicotine as 3-4 cigarettes. Nicotine affects the brain and central nervous system and changes neurotransmitters levels regulating mood, learning, alertness, and ability to concentrate.

Nicotine can also increase heart rate, constrict blood vessels and reduce circulation. Nicotine can act like a stimulant or a sedative, and causes the release of endorphins, which provide a tranquilizing effect. Finally, nicotine is considered more addictive than crack or alcohol.

If nicotine wasn't bad enough, there is a cocktail of other harmful chemicals associated with smokeless tobacco including: polonium 210 (nuclear waste), formaldehyde (embalming fluid), and arsenic. According to the American Cancer Society, chewing tobacco users are 50 times more likely than non-users to get cancers of the cheek, gums, and inner surface of the lips.

PM for a link if you'd like to read more.

JetHead

Awards
Wow thanks for the info. Its been hard for me to gain weight and size since i started the habbit again. Guess ill have to quit.

bildBig

Awards
Just convinced me to quit smoking. Thanks Guys!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
ingredients in cigarettes:

hydrogen cyanide - poison
Formaldehyde - embalming fluid
Benzene - a solvent that has been identified as a known cause of leukemia.
Arsenic - damages heart and blood vessels
Hydrocarbons - benzo(a)pyrene directly damages p53, a gene that normally protects our bodies against cancer
Cadmium - battery juice
Acrolein - formerly used as a chemical weapon
Hydrazine, a very toxic chemical used mainly in rocket fuel
Polonium - a rare, radioactive element

and those are the big toxins out of the 60+ found in cigarettes. quit while you're still alive.

to help you quit - post these around your house, and outside where you go for a smoke.... stock up on breath mints, because it does help the cravings - getting something out of your pocket, opening the container, putting something in your mouth.

these are posted on every pack of cigarettes sold in canada - because they have free healthcare....

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I have a 50-something year old teacher who smokes and is like 6'3-4 with 18-19 inch arms, so I know it won't completely prevent you from gaining muscle...

I quit smoking a few years ago and started smoking cigars a few months ago like an idiot...using 4mg Commit lozenges now (each one is about like 4 cigs) 3-4x/day, but I don't see the nicotine hurting my gains any. If anything it's helped me lose fat :)

But you should make it a priority to quit smoking...it will certainly kill your appetite and make it tough to eat every 3 hours and drink enough water. Anecdotally it seems like it takes the place of eating and drinking enough...

mattakaspeedy

Awards
Smoking meant to reduce sperm, defintly not good :)

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I smoked from 1-3 packs a day from the age of 14 until a few months ago. (I'm 27) I quit using Chantix. It's really an amazing drug. I used to eat until I puked and then try to eat my puke. I used to take all kinds of supplements and had a very strict training program. Even a few years ago when I started with pro-hormones/steroids I still could NOT top 165lbs (Usual weight was 152-5. Quitting smoking was the BEST thing that I could EVER do for my training. Better than any supplement/prohorome/prosteroid on the market. Chantix is expensive, but more than worth every cent. Plus you get all of your money back when you stop buying cigarettes. It's also pretty great to get your life and lungs back. heh I didn't experience any sides from it really. I didn't quit on the recommended quit date, but soon after I just didn't need to smoke. It was like a gift from God. Also if you are going to take it, stay on it for the whole six months. Everyone I know who has tried it has stopped smoking on it, but some felt like they didn't need it any more after 2 months, especially due to the price. Each who stopped taking it prematurely started smoking again shortly after. Anyway, it's just an option. I definitely know your pain (heh) and I wish you a ton of luck sir!
What has this done for your lbodyguilding?

slanno

slanno

Awards
smoking and gaining

I smoked for around 1.5 years and my weight is right at yours. I noticed it decreased my appetite, and made me more wired, but i also stayed roughly the same weight for that year and a half. Do yourself a favor and kick the habit. Man up don't take any pills or plans just tell yourself to stop making excuses and kick it cold turkey. Nicotine is comparable to opiates in the way it effects the body, and chemical dependency, and the only surefire way to quit is to just tell yourself im not doing it anymore. Bottom line is you know you dont need a security blanket such as patches or pills, good luck, but i know you dont need me to say that.

steelhorse

Awards
I don't smoke cigerettes.. smoke a few cigars a week..have no problem gaining wieght

slanno

slanno

Awards
Regular smokers "1-2" packs a day will have problems gaining weight because of appetite suppression, and the fact that nicotine slows/prevents the absorption of protein. I am not saying this is the golden rule their are and always be exceptions, but for most it prevents weight loss.