Hair Removal Question?(Chest/Back/Body)

Fun2Train

Awards
Im fairly new to all this and so id thought id just ask some seasoned vets. What do you guys do for hair removal? I have hair so thick on my chest and back its like a carpet :) It grows so fast and I have the hardest time with it. Seems like no matter what I try I keep getting serious ingrown hairs that last for month at time. Maybe im just missing something, Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
ok im hair too really bad

anyone who says a razor clearly has no bodyhair

shaving ur ENTIRE BODY daily is not FUN and yes it would have to be daily or every 2days pushing it

NOT FUN NOT FUN. READ NOT FUN>

Nair something i used in past was worthless didnt remove half the hair even on my foot lol. so idk what to do with hairy people. but looking for decent advice and not from hairless lucky people

Under Repair

Awards
Sorry buddy but if you put Magic Shave or Nair on thick and leave it for 15 minutes that sH*t is coming OFF! Or your money back. I am talking wipe out 2 years worth of pubes like it aint nothin strong!

Fun2Train

Awards
Sorry buddy but if you put Magic Shave or Nair on thick and leave it for 15 minutes that sH*t is coming OFF! Or your money back. I am talking wipe out 2 years worth of pubes like it aint nothin strong!
I tried this on my chest which is thick like carpet, after leaving it 15 minutes it came off but last time I tried this I had serious ingrown hairs in about 2 days time. What do you guys do to prevent ingrown hairs using nair??

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
nair's no better than a razor in terms of how long it will stay off for ... razor's the way to go and believe me i have a lot of experience with this as i'm a hairy guy

a product called the razorba changed my life .. google it .. it allows you to easily shave you're own back

i'm saving up for the laser hair removal currently

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Razorba, that is great. lol

I have my wife shave my back for me, but normally I just use a disposable razor once or twice a week. Pre-contest use the gillete

Fun2Train

Awards
nair's no better than a razor in terms of how long it will stay off for ... razor's the way to go and believe me i have a lot of experience with this as i'm a hairy guy

a product called the razorba changed my life .. google it .. it allows you to easily shave you're own back

i'm saving up for the laser hair removal currently
What kind of razor do you use? how often do you shave? do you use any special shaving oil/cream? How do you prevent ingrown hairs? Is there any tips techniques to help prevent ingrown hairs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I have shaved/waxed and used nair before. MY biggest problem is ingrown hairs. Iv tried using a loufa but still get them. Only thing is I have never stuck with it for weeks at time. Is it possible that if I stick with it for a few weeks the ingrown hairs stop coming as bad? The first time I will be covered in red dots like very bad acne , I mean like I have chicken pox. Its terrible? Should I shave over these? Should I wait for them to go away and then try to keep shaving so my skin gets used to shaving? any advice would be so great.

CarolinaGurl

CarolinaGurl

Awards
This is what you need...

I had serious ingrown hairs in about 2 days time. What do you guys do to prevent ingrown hairs using nair??
Unfortunately ingrown hairs are just a fact of life with hair removal. However there are some things you can do to ease the grief.

First thing is to go to Wal-Mart in the health and beauty dept and grab yourself a pair of course exfoliation gloves. If your Wal-Mart doesn't have them you can e-mail me and I will order you a set at cost plus shipping, you can also order a set of them off Ebay too. A good sisal wash rag works just as well (get them on Ebay too) but the gloves make a quick shower go that much faster because you can use both hands to scrub.

Use these things everyday starting the day after your hair removal (nair, waxing, shaving doesn't matter which) use a good antibac soap and just go to town. The goal is not to scrub off your skin but to briskly scrub and keep the hair follicles open and healthy.

Second, you will get some ingrown hairs no matter how well you exfoliate, what you do to treat those makes all the difference.

Call a day spa in your area or look better yet look on the internet for a product called Tend Skin. It is the only product on the market that will micro-exfoliate ingrown hairs within 24 hours of your first use. They will literally pop out on their own without help from you but they will come out even faster if you do your daily scrub glove treatment. This stuff can also calm any red irritated skin and yes you can use this anywhere on your body, even on razorburn on your neck and face from daily shaving.

If you have anymore questions regarding any type of hair removal let'em rip and I will answer them right away.

~T

TheLaw

TheLaw

Awards
Like glenihan said, nair does not work anymore than a razor, for me at least. Both only last the night I use it/shave and by morning there is already stubble. I got my chest waxed a little over a month ago, a few days before I went to the beach, and I had a grand total of 9 days being hair free. I had stubble going the whole way up before I got on the plane to leave... I grow hair faster than any one I have met as of yet and im only 20 years old :rant: lol. But thankfully my mom likes to remind me that "Girls like hairy chests hunny, its a very masculine thing". I digress.

So, for me, lazer removal is out of the question as of now (no money). And I can not afford to get waxed 2 - 3 times a month. So basically to sum it up, I guess razors are the way to go(unless you have some other ideas)? Any specific ones to keep the price reasonable, or just stick with any old disposable? Im in college right now and I dont want to be dumping a whole lot of cash on razors lol.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately ingrown hairs are just a fact of life with hair removal. However there are some things you can do to ease the grief.

First thing is to go to Wal-Mart in the health and beauty dept and grab yourself a pair of course exfoliation gloves. If your Wal-Mart doesn't have them you can e-mail me and I will order you a set at cost plus shipping, you can also order a set of them off Ebay too. A good sisal wash rag works just as well (get them on Ebay too) but the gloves make a quick shower go that much faster because you can use both hands to scrub.

Use these things everyday starting the day after your hair removal (nair, waxing, shaving doesn't matter which) use a good antibac soap and just go to town. The goal is not to scrub off your skin but to briskly scrub and keep the hair follicles open and healthy.

Second, you will get some ingrown hairs no matter how well you exfoliate, what you do to treat those makes all the difference.

Call a day spa in your area or look better yet look on the internet for a product called Tend Skin. It is the only product on the market that will micro-exfoliate ingrown hairs within 24 hours of your first use. They will literally pop out on their own without help from you but they will come out even faster if you do your daily scrub glove treatment. This stuff can also calm any red irritated skin and yes you can use this anywhere on your body, even on razorburn on your neck and face from daily shaving.

If you have anymore questions regarding any type of hair removal let'em rip and I will answer them right away.

~T
Now that was a great post, nice job putting that together

Fun2Train

Awards

~T
Thank you so much, this has been some great info and I have searched all over for some info like this. Very much appreciated. I bought me some gloves and some tend skin and its working wonders. Shaved , washed with gloves and tend skin took redness right off, feels great and no signs of ingrown hairs like normally would have. Thank you so much for such a wonderfull post.

CarolinaGurl

CarolinaGurl

Awards
No problem!!

Thank you so much, this has been some great info and I have searched all over for some info like this.
You're so very welcome. Its the least I can do since I do skin hair and nails for a living . Good professional information gets rid of the guessing in trying to get some relief from those nasty little curlys.

In the past I have endured complete misery with bikini ingrowns that felt like fire when my esthe was digging them out with a pair of tweezers. So I went on the hunt for the perfect regimen for preventing them in the first place.

I can't say enough, no matter what kind of hair removal you choose it's so important to exfoliate on a regular basis and truthfully if you are good about doing it in the weeks leading up to your comp your spray on tan will go on really evenly and come off evenly too as you buff your bod.

Happy scrubbing!! :) :) :)

~T

CarolinaGurl

CarolinaGurl

Awards
About laser hair removal....

I'm saving up for the laser hair removal currently
There are a few things that you have to take into consideration when thinking about laser hair removal. Here are a few little known facts:

1. Best results occur when you have the greatest difference in color between hair and skin. Dark hair and light skin works best.

2. Treatments are usually scheduled 8 to 12 weeks apart. The laser only kills those hairs that are in the growth phase.

3. The pain feels like getting snapped with a rubber band or stung by a bee over and over.

4. For moderate density hair on the back, you would need to schedule 2.5 hours for the treatment. One hour for prep and 90 minutes for the treatment. Then repeat this treatment an average of 6-10 times depending on results at an average cost per treatment of $150 to $250 depending on the type of laser used.

Truthfully, there is a lot of debate over calling it "laser hair removal" because it is actually rated by the FDA as "laser hair reduction" because the results are not 100% "clear" except for a very small segment of the public. Unfortunately they can claim " hair removal" in advertisement because by law they have to be more honest with you in your consultation. But often times people will go ahead with the proceedure anyway on the hope that it will work for them.

There are three stages of growth to body hair and as stated above the laser will only kill hair that is in the growth stage, but less than 30% of your total body hair is in the active growing stage at any moment in time which is why it is necessary to have multiple treatments over a long period of time.

Ultimately they cannot either promise or guarantee you that you will be 100% hair free because the laser absolutely cannot kill any form of Lanugo hair on the body because it has little or no cortex in it which is what the laser shatters all the way to the hair bulb. I have a number of clients who have invested big money in LHR and they still have to see me on a regular basis for waxing of the areas that they had treated and I have personally only seen one person in my many years of Cosmo and Esthe work that got what I would deem "clear" results from LHR and for the money, that's just not good enough.

The only other option is electrolysis, but that is even more time consuming than LHR, because the hair removal is done follicle by follicle and again you need many many treatments (even more so than LHR) and only small areas can be done at one time. Granted, if electrolysis is done correctly by the practitioner the hair removal is considered by the FDA as permanent. But we're talking big big money and a lot of time invested being "stung" over and over.

Now as an Cosmo/Esthe myself and as a competitor I personally use waxing (bikini and armpit) and depilitory creams (jantana) to get hair free before competing. In the grand scheme of things its cheap in respect to the other options and honestly, your body needs its hair structure to help maintain your skins elasticity. I have seen women who have waxed repeatedly for years on their arms and I can say with 100% certainty that it has contributed to a loosening of the skin that will never rebound and become tight again and we're not talking old ladies here.

So, as a professional skin and hair girl, I would say that it is smarter in the long run to do hair removal when its necessary and in the off season either shave (which keeps your skins micro structure intact) or use depilitory creams (chemicle shave) and let your body be your body otherwise. Yes, if you want to do spot hair removal (armpits, bikini, brows & nape) that is okay because the area's that are waxed continually are very small and in the case of bikini and armpit are in a joint area which is a fleshy area of skin anyway.

Hope this answers some questions for those of you considering LHR. Any other questions about skin or hair just post'em and I will give you the most up to date info I can locate for you. If it is a potentially embarassing problem Im or PM me and I will get back to you in private.

Cheers!! ~T

Blesum

Blesum

Maestro
Awards
You rock, CarolinaGurl! I'm gonna try the TendSkin thing.

I've got a question for you about the gloves - How often are we supposed to replace them, and what's the proper care/procedure for rinsing them off afterwards? I can't help but wonder if there's a ton of baterica growing on these things after the first use.

-Blesum

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use an electric razor,and it works fine...no ingrown hairs ever........

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Glenihan!!!

Thanks to your suggestion! :clap2: I bought the Razorba last week! Man, the first time I tried it, it left a bunch of patches (pretty hairy!)

The next day I did it again...smoooooth!

Thanks Bro! I feel the same way! No more "sweater vest" :toofunny:

CarolinaGurl

CarolinaGurl

Awards
scrub gloves

You rock, CarolinaGurl! I'm gonna try the TendSkin thing.

I've got a question for you about the gloves - How often are we supposed to replace them, and what's the proper care/procedure for rinsing them off afterwards? I can't help but wonder if there's a ton of baterica growing on these things after the first use.

-Blesum

Run them through the wash with you whites once a week. As long as you do this you can use them until they wear out then you just get a new pair.

~CG

Sea223

Awards
  • Established
A buddy of mine waxed his whole body for his first show......said he wouldn't do it again. How bad could it be (40 year old virgin) Even still I might try it. My first show is in Sept. Plenty of time to figure it out.