Contest Tanning

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Hey guys - need some feedback. About to do my first contest and will not have a great base tan (although I'm Italian so not exactly pasty white anyway). On recommendation, I've laid in a supply of the Jan Tana Show Tan (Dark Sunless Bronzer) and the Jan Tana Competition Tan (Darkest Competition Color).

Here's my question: it was suggested that I use the Show Tan on Wednesday night so it would develop by Thursday, then put on multiple coats of the Competition Tan on Thursday night, Friday afternoon, and touch-up as needed on Saturday (Contest Day) morning.

Does this sound about right? I've also heard the color sets up better if you force dry it with a hair dryer instead of just letting it dry on its own. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Here is what I do. I start 2 days before the show. Definitly use the Jan Tan comp tan. I was with a couple of Pros this weekend and they swear by it. After applying it dry it with a blow dryer to ensure it drys nice. After that take a shower to get the access runoff off. Do this 2 or 3 times before the day of the show. The night before the show put on another coat and do the same. For the day of the show I se dream tan cream to bring out a great sheen. You can apply as many coats as you need of this to ensure great look on stage. Just make sure do not over do it. By using dream tan you will not have to use Pam or Hot stuff. This stuff gives you the best look you can get. My buddy almost took the whole show this weekend and his color was awesome

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
layne norton's strategy (guy's white as a sheet before applying the coats but looks great on contest day):

wednesday, thursday, friday- apply 1 coat of pro tan each night and wash off the excess the next morning

apply 1 coat pro tan 6 hours before prejudging contest day

apply 1 coat dream tan #2 1 hour before prejudging on contest day.

frankpt

frankpt

Awards
I get a really dark base tan first, then I apply pro tan 3 coats the day before starting around noon and dry each coat with a blow dryer, I have tried everything from dy o derm to dream tan to jan tana and this works best for me but even color is a personal thing ,everyone is different so what works best for one doesn't necessarily work best for everyone.

BigBill

Awards
Hmmm, I got one question. Everyone here says apply and then take a shower, but I was talking to to few pros that I know here in Vegas (Jay Cutler was one of them) and they say don't shower for the 3 days leading up to the show. They say that when you are dehydrating that your skin will suck up the water and you will not look as hard. What do you all think about that? Do you think that the shower makes that big of a difference?

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
SpongeTom Squarepants

...they say don't shower for the 3 days leading up to the show...that your skin will suck up the water.... Do you think that the shower makes that big of a difference?
No to be flip, but it'd make a big difference to the people around you :icon_lol:

But in all seriousness - while I'd never presume to put my experience up against those guys, the skin is contructed so as to NOT absorb water except briefly and in the outermost layer.

...The epidermis, or outer layer of the skin, is made up of cells called keratinocytes, which form a very strong intracellular skeleton made up of a protein called keratin. These cells divide rapidly at the bottom of epidermis, pushing the higher cells upward. After migrating about halfway from the bottom of this layer to the top, the cells undergo a programmed death. The nucleus involutes, leaving alternating layers of the cell membrane, made of lipids, and the inside, made largely of water-loving keratin. The outer layer of the epidermis, called the stratum corneum, is thus composed of these alternating bands.

When hands are soaked in water, the keratin absorbs it and swells. The inside of the fingers, however, does not swell. As a result, there is relatively too much stratum corneum and it wrinkles, just like a gathered skirt. This bunching up occurs on fingers and toes because the epidermis is much thicker on the hands and feet than elsewhere on the body. (The hair and nails, which contain different types of keratin, also absorb some water. This is why the nails get softer after bathing or doing the dishes.)

Soaking in the tub does hydrate the skin, but only briefly. All the added water quickly evaporates, leaving the skin dryer than before. The oils that hold the water in have usually been stripped out by the bath—especially if soap and hot water are involved. But if oil is added before the skin dries, much of the absorbed water is retained. Thus, applying a bath oil or heavy lotion directly after a bath or shower is a good method of hydrating the skin.
Scientific American: Why do fingers wrinkle in the bath? (emphasis added)

So shower away. Even if you were in there a long time and got wrinkled fingers, you're not absorbing water wholesale.

BigBill

Awards
Thanks for the info., good read. Maybe I'll just not take one the day of the show to be careful, but take some leading up to it. Thanks again!

No to be flip, but it'd make a big difference to the people around you :icon_lol:

But in all seriousness - while I'd never presume to put my experience up against those guys, the skin is contructed so as to NOT absorb water except briefly and in the outermost layer.

Scientific American: Why do fingers wrinkle in the bath? (emphasis added)

So shower away. Even if you were in there a long time and got wrinkled fingers, you're not absorbing water wholesale.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yes please take a shower, and do you guys do any tanning beds to get a good base? My color was cool but I have Permatan skin, as I use the beds for 8 weeks up until the week of the show, then i use the competition color for 2 days.

Also my good friend Never2big had the bronzer's airbrushed on him, I will have to ask him directly, but his color was phenomenal.

PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Update...

:bb2:

Last edited:
PSBigJoey

PSBigJoey

Awards
Update....

The Jan Tana Show Tan was a total bust - messy, watery, and after leaving it on the skin for hours then rinsing off excess, added essentially no color to the effect of the sunless preparation we'd used days before.

The Competition Tan, on the other hand, went on easily & smoothly, dried without being sticky, and has only rubbed off very slightly overnight. We'll be adding 1 more coat of that this morning (Friday), and are prepared to do a 3rd after registration. We'll top it off with the Jan Tana Posing Oil.

More to follow....

superman20

Awards
ive got to say ive never used jan tana products but pro tan works very good for me. i have light skin, and i do get a base tan before the show, but i would do this:

1st coat on thursday night, sleep with it on. Wash it off (no soap, just rinse) friday morning. This is the only coat that you paint your face with. more than one coat always makes it blotchy(it looks terrible)

2nd coat friday morning after washing the first coat off. Dont wash tan off.

3rd coat friday night

saturday morning touch up if necessary.

I got quite a few compliments on my tan, but i dont think i was still dark enough, so this year right before prejudging i will put one coat of dream tan on to top it off.

madman911

madman911

Awards
It seems a lot of people feel they just don't get dark enough using Pro Tan alone. I used Dream Tan and I didn't use any kind of bronzer as a base, I just hit the tanning booths a couple of times a week to get a decent natural base tan, and DT shade #2 is damn dark. I honestly don't feel it would even be necessary to apply a base tan when using it, unless you are pale as heck. I will definitely keep using the DT #2.