does this seem right.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi guys: Just thinking about weight classes etc and wondering if this seems right.

Say i'm 160lbs at 15% body fat ao 1% would be 1.6lbs If i wanted to compete at 5-6% bf 10% drop 1.6x10=16lbs total

160-16lbs 144lbs at 5% would put me right at the top of the Bantam weight class.

Are all my calculations correct?

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
I'm no math major, but I don't think that's right as you are taking a percent of a percent.

If your 160 lbs at 15% bf, you have 24 lbs of fat.
If you want to compete at 5% bf, then your total fat would be 12.8 lbs.

24 lbs of bf - 12.8 lbs = 11.2 lbs. @ 5%. 160 - 11.2 = 148.8 lbs. @ 5% b.f

Again, I could be wrong, someone else please verify.

edit: Of course this allows for no muscle growth either, so you could very well come in heavier and still maintain 5%.

Hi guys: Just thinking about weight classes etc and wondering if this seems right.

Say i'm 160lbs at 15% body fat ao 1% would be 1.6lbs If i wanted to compete at 5-6% bf 10% drop 1.6x10=16lbs total

160-16lbs 144lbs at 5% would put me right at the top of the Bantam weight class.

Are all my calculations correct?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
BF% is always a tricky one to calculate. I like to figure out the fat pounds (weight x BF%), and then decide how much of that I would like lose (regardless of BF% outcome). You have to take in consideration that when you drop weight, you have to recalculate your BF% based on your new weight.

The way you calculated it though, would put you at 144lbs. and 5.5%BF, assuming you only lost fat weight (nearly impossible).

EDIT: Viper, you must of submitted your reply just as I started to type mine. We said the same thing...

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for the input guys yeah I know i would have to do recalculations along the way i just wanted to get an idea if what i was thinking would be possible. Or how much I would have to look at losing.

FLgator

Awards
When I cut for my contest my bodyfat was 10% at 160 pounds i competed at 148 around 4% bodyfat. So you're probly gonna be 140-145. I wouldn't worry about the calculations just diet keep a close watch on how your body looks and you 'll be better off.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When I cut for my contest my bodyfat was 10% at 160 pounds i competed at 148 around 4% bodyfat. So you're probly gonna be 140-145. I wouldn't worry about the calculations just diet keep a close watch on how your body looks and you 'll be better off.

Hi could you tell me how tall you are? what was the average height of your competitiion? How long did you diet to cut from 160 to comp? Thanks in advance

FLgator

Awards
I'm 5'7'' and the compitition was around the same height. I dieted for 12 weeks. If you take 12 weeks you don't have to worry about losing to much muscle. When is your show? Have you already started cutting?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No I havent' started cutting i am looking at end of the year.
well at 5ft 7in you got a good six inches on me so at my height 5ft 1in I am hoping that if i come in at the top of bantam I should be looking pretty thick

FLgator

Awards
wow 5'1'' at 144 comp will be pretty stack. Keep me updated i'll do all i can to help.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
wow 5'1'' at 144 comp will be pretty stack. Keep me updated i'll do all i can to help.

Thanks alot yes currently I am 5ft 1 156lbs with a bf% of between high 12's to mid 15's depending on what method is used i use the accu trak digital calipers, the omnatron hand held machine at my gym. and a digital scale. I am on a bulking cycle and hope to gain about 4lbs put me right at 160lb then give my body 6-8 weeks to stablize itself and then around Oct begin my cut. I was looking at some old pictures of Eryk bui when he took first place at the NPC and he weighed around mid 140's at 5ft 4in and looked fantastic. I don't think i'll ever look that good but i figured with the weight i'm carrying at my height i'd like to see how i look if i cut down into the 5-6% range

FLgator

Awards
Eryk is crazy he has gotten a lot bigger now i think i saw him at 200 comp. Just post up your diet training cardio everyone here will give you thier best suggestions

Bigdaddyandy

Awards
What about subcutaneous water?
Did you take that into consideration?

FLgator

Awards
I don't think he is far enough along to worry about it he isn't gonna start cutting until oct.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What about subcutaneous water?
Did you take that into consideration?
Actually I have never cut for any type of bb contest. So I am in the very early stages of gathering information. I am experienced in cutting weight as I a fighter and wrestled in highschool and college. But I am not experience in the fine tuning aspects etc of bf% etc. I know even 1-2% can make a big difference

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
well you are in the right place to get info, there are a bunch of god bodybuilders on this site. We will all offer what we can for advice