Matt is Numero Uno!!!!!

matthams

Awards
Well, I won my show. there ended up being 8 guys that did it, more than the 4 I originally thought were gonna show up. The best part of the whole thing was me dropping my first place trophy reaching for the box of krispy kremes! it was hillarious... and we got the startue all glued up and it looks perfect now haha.
Rysigpi: after doing my depletion, I started my load at 8pm on tuesday. I started with a serving of Pure Vitargo, then had a carb meal about every 1.5 to 2 hours until bed. I woke up, had some vitargo and did the same thing as tues night. I had about 75-80 carbs every 1.5 to 2 hours. I alternated whole food sources with servings of vitargo.
We went on at six and I ended up having my last serving of vitargo 2 hours before stage. Then at about 5:15 i had two chocolate glazed with sprinkles krispy kremes, a small stick of beef jerky that gave me like 750mg sodium, and 2 spoonfulls of peanut butter. I also started taking tiny sips of grape juice during pump up and had another half donut about 5 mins before stage. I ate the other half during the break before my individual routine while still taking tiny sips of juice.
The third round of our show was kind of a call out round. they brought up the 4 last place guys, then they called up who ended up being 2,3, and 4 while leaving me back in line. This is when i pretty much had a good idea that I had it.
All in all it was an awesome experience and I most liekly will do it again in the future. It was just awesome being up on stage in front of all those people. a great feeling. I recommend everyone does it.
I'll post pics in a few....

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
the feeling of being on stage is the best. Sounds like you truley enjoyed yourself.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info on carb loading. I am reading everything I can now.

You looked shredded!! How tall are ya and what did you weigh day of the show?

I am 4 week + 1 day out. I am starting to panic and think I am not leaning out enough but I really am right on track (I think? I worry toooo much! ahha). I should drop about 6-8 more pounds and I hope to come in as cut as you. I am just gonna do the best I can.

Again GREAT WORK!!!:twisted:

matthams

Awards
Thanks guys! i enjoyed myself a lot! it was awesome. especially waiting for them to announce second... that was nerve racking haha..
Rysigpi: the tuesday night, the night before the show, I wasn't really counting how many carbs i was eating. I went to pf changs with my family (who flew in for the show) and had stemed chicken, steamed veggies (broccoli, asparagus) and steamed brown rice. Theyre really good there becasue theyll cook it exactly how you want. no fat, no salt anywhere. i just dove into the veggies and brown rice, probably like 200 carbs total just at that sitting. I didnt want my tummy to distend the day of the show so i crammed myself with carbs the night before and made sure to control it on show day.
Here's some more pictures... ill try to get more of my back...

Attachments

matthams

Awards
Oh yah... i'm about 5'9" - 5'10" and about 8 hours before stage i weighed 175 on the dot. so i probably put on another one with my carb meals throughout the day. i'd guess i was 177 on stage.

this is the best pic of my back I can find right now.. i know i have some better ones though...

Attachments

matthams

Awards
I am 4 week + 1 day out. I am starting to panic and think I am not leaning out enough but I really am right on track (I think? I worry toooo much! ahha). I should drop about 6-8 more pounds and I hope to come in as cut as you. I am just gonna do the best I can.
I was worrying like that at about 4 weeks out. but it all ended up coming together. do you have any recent pictures?
I put in morning cardio sessions at about 3.5 weeks out for about 50 minutes a session while sipping on half a scoop of whey isolate and 15g of BCAA. i think this helped me lean out a lot more..

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
GREAT JOB BRO!!! you look great, any diuretics?

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
Im tearing the cardio up 6 mournings a week as is sipping on the BCAA's. Again nice work. Its amazing how much you can change your body in 2-3 months!!! :twisted:

Sooty

Banned
Awards
Hey man congrats. I was thinking aobut competeing, but always worry about gettin wood on stage, and that eveyrone would be bigger and more shredded

you look goo dman, i think if i cut down to your bf id be around 155...

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Great work. At first, I thought the pic in the avatar was recent. Great improvements.

MadMas

Work Horse
Awards
Looking great! Congrats on the big win. It seems your quads and hams set you apart from the competition.

Good Job and Good Luck in the future!

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey man congrats. I was thinking aobut competeing, but always worry about gettin wood on stage, and that eveyrone would be bigger and more shredded
If you get wood on stage, the ladies in the audience cheer for you more.. ;)

Good work, brother!! It's good to see you guys go for it, and keeps people from buggin' me about competing.. :cool:

matthams

Awards
Guys I've got a question...

The Ronnie Coleman Classic is coming up on May 13th, and I'm struggling to decide if I want to take a stab at a "real" show or not. Do you think it would be possible for me to place decently in the middleweights? I'd be a middleweight unless i dropped to 165 for the lightweights....

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I say go for it, because you will have a "real" show experience. ANd if you don't place I know the judges will tell you what you need to do to place. You look great though, so no worries...

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

The Ronnie Coleman Classic is coming up on May 13th, and I'm struggling to decide if I want to take a stab at a "real" show or not. Do you think it would be possible for me to place decently in the middleweights? I'd be a middleweight unless i dropped to 165 for the lightweights....
So the show you recently did was imaginary? :D

The only time it could be considered a "real" show is when you're goin' against national qualified guys, which wouldn't be as easy as a local/regional.. If you gained national qualification, go for it..

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established

155 is the top weight for lightweights in the NPC, not 165.

Weight classes are:

Bantam: <144
Lightweight: 145-155
Middleweight: 156-176
Lightheavy: 177-198
Heavy: 198-225
Superheavy: >225

matthams

Awards
WEIGHT GROUPS: Men’s Open
(National Qualifier only)
Bantamweight: < 143.25
Lightweight: 143.25 to<154.25
Middleweight: 154.25 to<176.25
Light heavyweight: 176.25 to<198.50 Heavyweight: 198.50 to<225.25
Super Heavyweight: >225.25

Men’s Open and Novice
Lightweight: < 165.25
Middleweight: 165.25-187.25
Heavyweight: 187.25

These were taken from the rule sheet on metroflexgym.com.
I assume I'd be in the Men’s Open and Novice categoy... right?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Go for the National Qualifier. You'll have better comeptition. It takes a lot to enter a National Qualifier; it's more nerve wracking because you know deep down "this is bigtime."

At the same time, whether you place or not, IMO it's more rewarding for the very same reason.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Go for it, the more times on stage the better you will feel about your stage appearance

matthams

Awards
Go for the National Qualifier. You'll have better comeptition. It takes a lot to enter a National Qualifier; it's more nerve wracking because you know deep down "this is bigtime."

At the same time, whether you place or not, IMO it's more rewarding for the very same reason.
As much as I'd like to enter a national qualifier, I don't want to be embarrassed up there. And I don't know if its just me and my critical eye I have for myself, but I don't think I have the overall muscle development to compete at that level yet.
Based on the pictures I posted, truthfully what do you think?
At this point I think my best bet would be to do the novice show as a lightweight. I got down to 169 at my lowest during my carb depletion this time.. so I definitely could weigh in at 165 then carb load and be on stage at around 172-173.

what you guys think?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I think it would provide the fuel you need to take your training to the next level. what could be more motivating to stay the anabolic course. I think you would place well and mature infinitely.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
hey bro just enter it and be proud you are on stage

knox

Awards
  • Established
Matt i say go for it. you look very good regardless if you place or not. Got nothing to lose bro

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Definitely enter the national qualifier.

First off, it will light a fire under your ass like you've never experienced. You know it's going to be tough competition, so you can't let up for a second. That knowledge is just what you need to motivate you.

Second, just having the balls to step on that stage in a contest like that makes you a winner moreso than 99% of the pop. Think of the high you'll feel when you step off after pre-judging knowing you just gave it your all in a national qualifier; a top level amateur bodybuilding event. You competed with the best.

I can tell you from experience in my contest just over a week ago, it's a high like no other. When the night show was over, I was on the verge of tears of joy. Best feeling of my life.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
As much as I'd like to enter a national qualifier, I don't want to be embarrassed up there.
Just think to yourself that on stage, you look better then 99.9976% of americans.

matthams

Awards
You guys are very motivating! I've decided I'm definitely gonna do it.
I have question though. forgive me as I'm not too familiar with NPC rules... can I enter the novice AND the open? Some one at bb.com said to enter both... if I can I'll definately go that route...

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You guys are very motivating! I've decided I'm definitely gonna do it.
I have question though. forgive me as I'm not too familiar with NPC rules... can I enter the novice AND the open? Some one at bb.com said to enter both... if I can I'll definately go that route...
Yes you can cross-over. You pay double the entry fee usually, but nonetheless can enter 2 classes.

I entered the Novice and Open in my contest as well. I got creamed in the Open, but it was a great experience. Plus, I think I posed much better in the Open. I personally believe my posing in the Open allowed me to get 5th in the Novice; my posing in the Novice wasn't anywhere near as good.

matthams

Awards
oh well then awesome!!! thats what I'm gonna do for sure!

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Dude, you were so shredded onstage, that looks like pro-level conditioning. Your upper body at least, the shots of your legs don't make the details extremely visible, but no matter: you have what it takes, big time.

From the onstage shots, it looks like the judges had it fairly easy. One question for you: when you saw the other guys, did you know you were better than them or what? How did you feel about your possible placing? What was going on in your mind?

Congratulations on a thoroughly deserved win.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just be prepared to hit the stage twice during pre-judging.

Pre-judging is an exhausting experience I'm sure you already know. In a national qualifier, your posing is all that much more important so it's all that much more exhausting. You can't relax for so much as a split second. The judges most definitely DO look at everyone at all times. In the Open, I caught them looking at me while I was standing off to the side several times. I had to maintain a fully flexed front relaxed pose for about 10 minutes straight in the Open. When I stepped off stage I just about collapsed as did almost every other competitor. They had all kinds of emergency medical supplies standing by and EMTs and stuff right there just in case. One guy was so exhausted they offered him oxygen.

matthams

Awards
From the onstage shots, it looks like the judges had it fairly easy. One question for you: when you saw the other guys, did you know you were better than them or what? How did you feel about your possible placing? What was going on in your mind?
Fist off, thanks for the compliments!
When I saw the other guys in the pump up room, I was pretty confident. I knew my conditioning was right on so I was ok with that. I had the best overall shape too. And on top of that I knew my legs, even though not the greatest, were better than all the others. I knew it was gonna come down to me and the second place guy. He was bigger than me up top, but had no legs at all. So overall I was pretty confident I would at least take second, but I had a feeling i'd place first...