Competition for guys with disablitlies?

spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
Maybe the wrong place to post this. If it is, my apologies. I'm looking around at shows that are local for me (Alabama, Miss, Ga, Fl area) Trying to find one that will have a class for guys with disabilities. I was injured pretty badly as a child and as a result, I can't train legs all that well. Right leg is fine, left one, not so much. Also have some significant scarring on my abdomen. Dieting down now to see how it'll look when I'm leaner. It may change my mind for me but it would help if I were competing on a "level field" against others with injuries. I've googled and looked all over. Seems to be a going thing in the UK. Not so much in the US??? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking more towards physique b/c board shorts would cover my legs and my upper body......not a problem :) Appreciate any help.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently saw a wheelchair division in a SC show advertised. Maybe NPC South Carolina or WNBF/ INBF.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just read the rest of your post. Sorry,no offense.

spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
No worries man. I appreciate the info. Accident was at age 10. I'm 46. I've come to terms long time ago. I can "run" a 8 min mile on the treadmill but I probably look like Quasimodo doing it. �� **** happens. Either way, you can win or lose. I chose to not let it keep me down. My upper body is well developed after 6 months in a wheelchair and two years of crutches as a kid. I adapted. I can out train most of the younger guys. But if I'm competing I would rather have an even playing field. UK has a lot of competition that involves disabled competitors. Mostly combat vets but open to all. Just very little info here in the States. I'll check out SC ��������

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hear you man, keep up the good work. We older guys gotta keep training hard. Good luck n your contest.

SR1991

SR1991

Awards
I would say if you can't find the type of class that you're looking for to go ahead and try to compete in the regular Novice or Open classes. I've seen plenty of guys use competing as a means of rehabilitation and smoke their class. The judges will recognize the work you put in regardless of your disability and respect it. Honestly I think you'd be glad you did. Just my 2¢. Keep up the good work man! Good luck

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say if you can't find the type of class that you're looking for to go ahead and try to compete in the regular Novice or Open classes. I've seen plenty of guys use competing as a means of rehabilitation and smoke their class. The judges will recognize the work you put in regardless of your disability and respect it. Honestly I think you'd be glad you did. Just my 2¢. Keep up the good work man! Good luck
This.

spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
Appreciate the input guys. And the encouragement. Heard back from the NPC. There is no class/division for people that are ......ah hell. Crippled lol. My wife hates it when I say that but ****. it is what it is. Not like I'm bitter or angry. Accepted it long time ago. I had laundry list of things the surgeons and docs all said I couldn't do. It was the start of a stubborn life.I was never supposed to walk again. Never get out of wheelchair. Never walk without crutches.....goes on and on. I can run an 8 min mile. I might look like Quasimodo doing it, but I can limp out a fast mile. Hell I out train most of the 20 somethings in my gym. While I can't hit my abs and develop fine details like most guys.....it pissed me off enough when they said they don't offer the class that I'm trying to find "work arounds" to see what I can do. I'll be competitive. And have the best damn limp out of everyone on stage :head: If I don't place.........I'll still look good for a fella with 1.5 legs :fing02:

spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
Update. Counting macros, weighing food. Training my ass off. More cut and defined than I was in my 20s. Best look of my life right now and chasing it hard. Even my legs are looking better. Never would have thought it. Abs are leaning up to the point that I'm seeing some hope. Thought my scars, and they are bad, would distort my over all abs look. And to a point it is. But not like I had worried it would. I'm on track. I think I got this :)

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update. Counting macros, weighing food. Training my ass off. More cut and defined than I was in my 20s. Best look of my life right now and chasing it hard. Even my legs are looking better. Never would have thought it. Abs are leaning up to the point that I'm seeing some hope. Thought my scars, and they are bad, would distort my over all abs look. And to a point it is. But not like I had worried it would. I'm on track. I think I got this :)
Great to hear of your progress, keep up the good work!