When is a good time to start competing? HELP!

jgwinne

Awards
hello, I am a 19 year old female in New Jersey and very interested in competing naturally. I lost 50 lbs. 3 years ago and got seriously into running which led me to the gym which eventually led me to find lifting. I have put on an abundance of muscle recently and so badly want to find a new fitness goal. I am interested in competing but I wouldn't know where to start or if I am even qualified to be considering it. I am 5'3 at 134.6 (slightly increased fat percentage after poor nutrition over finals at school, but still mostly muscle mass).

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome! You will find the right people here for advise.
I bet pics would be helpful.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of variables like where you are now, which division you want to compete etc. Hairy Grandpa is right pics would help. Welcome to the forum.

FigureMaster

FigureMaster

Awards
What division are you interested in? Bikini, Figure, Fitness or Physique. You may also want to find a qualified coach that can set macros for you - beware of teams that offer cookie cutter diets that will wreck your metabolism. My philosophy is to be able to eat as much with little cardio during prep. I never go under 10x BW in cals during prep.

_Steve_

_Steve_

Awards
hello, I am a 19 year old female in New Jersey and very interested in competing naturally. I lost 50 lbs. 3 years ago and got seriously into running which led me to the gym which eventually led me to find lifting. I have put on an abundance of muscle recently and so badly want to find a new fitness goal. I am interested in competing but I wouldn't know where to start or if I am even qualified to be considering it. I am 5'3 at 134.6 (slightly increased fat percentage after poor nutrition over finals at school, but still mostly muscle mass).
Your post was a month ago, I guess you should compete in running.

TonyKush

TonyKush

Awards
I would find a coach in the area plus someone to write your nutrition for the week until your competion

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I bet pics would be helpful.
^ this

What division are you interested in? Bikini, Figure, Fitness or Physique. You may also want to find a qualified coach that can set macros for you - beware of teams that offer cookie cutter diets that will wreck your metabolism. My philosophy is to be able to eat as much with little cardio during prep. I never go under 10x BW in cals during prep.
^ all of this

def find a coach. watch your metabolism. Its hard to tell what your body composition could be without photos. 5'3 134 lbs is typically a tad too heavy and if you lean down you might not have the mass you may expect underneath it. Like it said though, its hard to tell without photos. Ive seen some pretty solid and lean women around.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should start competing when you can eat 6 meals per day, everyday, not miss 1 single cardio or gym session and not have a cheat or refeed for 30 consecutive.

A lot of people like the idea of competing but it's fukcing hard. Of course, do what you wish but that's my advice. You don't want to compete half ass....full ass only

Lukewarmth94

Lukewarmth94

Awards
You should start competing when you can eat 6 meals per day, everyday, not miss 1 single cardio or gym session and not have a cheat or refeed for 30 consecutive.

A lot of people like the idea of competing but it's fukcing hard. Of course, do what you wish but that's my advice. You don't want to compete half ass....full ass only
Full ass only baha nice

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I have 5 months left off-season and even that is grueling and exhausting at times. Precontest/competing is really only for those that have the discipline to do exactly as he stated above^

Shoot me a PM when you get a second DW... ~end hijack

MindMuscleRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
if you want to compete go for it, just know that whether it is a small show or huge show there will always be girls on that stage who prepared just as hard as if it was the olympia :p so make sure you get lean enough. and then after that enjoy your first structured off season by a COACH. take the guess work out of it and just follow that chart like a lemming.