First contest April 6,2013 advice for a newb

LilTank

Awards
Hello AM family

Just wanted to talk to some experienced bodybuilders about contest prep, lil tips,tanning, etc. Now a little on me. I started my contest prep 16-17 weeks out I was around 213-215 pounds at about 5'11 a little taller but not six foot. I was under 10% for all my offseason. I've tried to make sure I haven't lost more for .5-1 pound per week. Fat losses and no muscle losses. I'm currently 6 weeks and 6 days out and am at around 198 not exactly sure, I had to switch scales mid-prep.

Starting after 8 weeks out I began to carb cycle and found its really tricked my body and metabolism into burning more fat and getting more out of each cardio session.
I'm looking for just other people's tips on some of the small things as we approach our finally competition date .
Ill make sure to keep everyone updated and around 4 weeks out maybe start posting pictures and such. My sodium intake is really high to just help bring in extra water and stay fuller during the dieting. I usually never use salt or sodium so right now I'm holding a solid amount of water.

Any tips or suggestions would be great guys. Ill make sure to keep up with the updates daily and stuff.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Practice your posing non-stop. On your time off, in between sets at the gym, after you session is done at the gym or days of just posing. You should be hitting the shots hard too and going through full quarters and mandatories as if you were up on stage. If done correctly...you should definitely break a sweat.

If you have a camera, set it up to take pictures of each shot and look them over or have someone with a good eye look them over and critique you. A video camera is great too so you can see how well you transition from one shot to another.

Another thing you could do is stand in front of the mirror, close your eyes, hit a pose and then open your eyes and see how it looks. The idea is that you won't have a mirror on stage, so you'll have to go by feel and experience when hitting your shots.

Go attend some shows if you haven't already so you can see what it is all about.

Don't drop your guard out on stage. What I mean is, from the second you walk out there, all eyes are on you! So remember this and give them the best you have to look at. When you're hitting a front double bi and then the call a front lat spread or say relax before calling the fls, don't completely deflate and then move in to your next pose. You should always stay full and looking your largest/best...don't drop your guard!

Smile, look like you're having fun, make eye contact with the judges, showcase your mandatories turning slightly from left to right so all the judges can get a good look at you.

Get everything well ahead of time meaning, your card, your trunks, your tanner, oils, etc etc etc so this way you're not running around last minute or even worse, not able to get something in time that you may need.

LilTank

Awards
Thank you, extremely helpful response . Now how long so you or would you recommend holding and practicing holding each pose ? I've been trying to aim for 2-4 seconds as hard and as tight as possible. Also which type of tanning product would work best for a lighter skin black guy?

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Simply put...the longer the better. You could be the only guy out there and rushed through the poses but, you should practice as though the field will be deep and competition strong. If you're posing for 5 seconds, another guy could be practicing posing for 7 seconds and be able to hold his shots better and longer. If the judges want to work your class or are having a hard time scoring the class, you will thank yourself for all of the posing practive you have done as you will be the only one not shaking like a leaf. Posing is commonly one of the most overlooked pieces of the puzzle. It is just about everything...if you can't pose and present your physique the way it's meant to be, than you wont display your best image to the judges.

I would start with ProTan and maybe do 2-4 coats. Finding the right tanning product can change from person to person. Some people love protan and I like a mix of protan and then jantana.

LilTank

Awards
Alright thanks for all the help . Anyone one else is also welcome to give suggestions and tips as well it's all very welcomed and appreciated .

LilTank

Awards
Officially six weeks out this Saturday. I have been carb cycling since 8 weeks out Monday -100g
Tuesday-100 Wednesday-50 Thursday-50 Friday (carb up )-225-250 Saturday-50 Sunday -0. I've noticed some good gains in the fat loss from doing this so far. Starting this Saturday 2/23 I will be adding a little more cardio each morning and the mornings I'm doing the higher amount of cardio waking up around 5am to shock the body. Also will begin taking a fat burner and cutting down on the sodium as to make sure the weight I'm losing in from fat cell and not just moving around water. I'm posing everyday in between sets and quickly after. Also added in salads to get some veggies and help get fiber in my diet while making my body think its full. Protein sources starting Sunday will be chicken 3x, egg whites x1, and fish x1 with two whey isolate mixed with a casein shake. Overall 7 meals every 2-2:30 hours. Carbs getting in before lift and maybe 25 grams post besides carb up days.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
you should drop som weight pretty fat cycling carbs that low. how is it affecting you performance in the gym. I usually wait till two weeks out before I get that low. I am showing a week behind you, currently taking in 200-250-300 carbs and cardio 4 times a week. Down 11 lbs have about 7 or 8 more to go before water.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jimmy gave you some really good advice. Posing is so important.

As far as tanning goes, I alway like professional if they are offering it at the show.

LilTank

Awards
No the low carbs aren't affecting my lifting actually I'm still putting up pretty good weights with perfect form and everything. The key for me is knowing when to take in my carbs (pre workout and post) usually. As far as tanning well I'm black well technically mixed but I'm darker than 1/2 and 1/2 so I think using a few coats of pro tan will help me come in Akon dark lol . I have an ex professional doing my coats so they will be very even . The only down side to the low carbs just under six weeks out is I am pretty tired after my workouts and pretty irritated all the time lol.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No the low carbs aren't affecting my lifting actually I'm still putting up pretty good weights with perfect form and everything. The key for me is knowing when to take in my carbs (pre workout and post) usually. As far as tanning well I'm black well technically mixed but I'm darker than 1/2 and 1/2 so I think using a few coats of pro tan will help me come in Akon dark lol . I have an ex professional doing my coats so they will be very even . The only down side to the low carbs just under six weeks out is I am pretty tired after my workouts and pretty irritated all the time lol.
Very nice, carb cycling is so good. It's perfect for chopping that fat up!

LilTank

Awards
I'm a huge fan of it. Especially the carb up days haha. Just a little update for all you following me this week I'm under six weeks out and I will be using over rice cakes and oats for all my carbs . Seeing if there's a different in my body from using sweet potatoes. What my body looks better with and what I carb up better with . Heard rice cakes can really tighten you up, not sure the science maybe the lack of any water and just pure rice . Will keep ya posted ! Any questions feel free to ask or any tips.

njphysique

Awards
LilTank, what comp are you training for? I'm currently training for the April 6th NPC New York Metropolitans Men's physique

LilTank

Awards
LilTank, what comp are you training for? I'm currently training for the April 6th NPC New York Metropolitans Men's physique
NPC Midwest Open Iowa
Classical teen division am 19, first contest really excited for it .

njphysique

Awards
Good luck man. I'm right there with you. 1st comp here. Definitely watch as many YouTube videos from other local shows and look at pictures to see what the judges may be looking for.

LilTank

Awards
Update for all you following me. Had my first meeting with my posing coach this Sunday. Learned a lot of stuff I didn't know , thank God for this guy. Really is helping me bring out my strong spots and even cover up my weak spots. Will post some pictures sometime in the next few weeks after a zero carb day to show how I'm doing for the contest. Also good news, coach said I look great for six weeks out for my first contest so clearly I'm doing stuff right. Best news I got all week.

LilTank

Awards
Good luck man. I'm right there with you. 1st comp here. Definitely watch as many YouTube videos from other local shows and look at pictures to see what the judges may be looking for.
Good luck brother. I haven't stopped watching different posing routines, different contest, ways to hit poses. I'm addicted to being a student of this sport. Your gunna have to let me know how you do later that night.

njphysique

Awards
Will do...since i am going into the men's physique division it all depends who shows up...I'm going into one of the biggest local/regional shows as my first show.

Attachments

LilTank

Awards
6 weeks out pic (mens physique)
Looking pretty good for six weeks out man. My buddy is doing physique at the same contest as me and literally just started dieting. Your going to come in sharp. Doing a big show like that for a first show would be my fear. But the better the competition the better you have to look so its really a good thing to start off with.

njphysique

Awards
Thanks man. Physique is getting to be big now so all comps especially national qualifiers are going to be huge. I'm only going into national qualifiers. NPC Mr universe comp is my goal then 2014 NPC USA's

LilTank

Awards
Thanks man. Physique is getting to be big now so all comps especially national qualifiers are going to be huge. I'm only going into national qualifiers. NPC Mr universe comp is my goal then 2014 NPC USA's
Did you hear they have physique at the Mr.Olympia now?! I knew it would happen soon but dang . And that's awesome man , my goal is to qualify for teen nationals at this show then take a few years off while I finish up college really bulk up . And come back 2015-2016 a beast.

njphysique

Awards
Man that's a big goal. Good luck. Get big stay big and be a shredded freak. Physique is taking all the supplement gigs but it'll still be a side show at the Olympia for at least 2 years

LilTank

Awards
Man that's a big goal. Good luck. Get big stay big and be a shredded freak. Physique is taking all the supplement gigs but it'll still be a side show at the Olympia for at least 2 years
As long as the main show is always classical I'm happy haha. Have the supplement deals lol .

LilTank

Awards
From a year ago I went from 165-215 this last offseason and I was leaner than I ever was stayed under 9.5% body fat the entire bulking process. My goal for this next year after my contest so starting in May would be to get to 245 still under 10%. Then maybe push for 255 slowly. And as my muscles mature gaining the weight should get better so idk we will see. Ill have lots of blogs up during that time so you'll have to make sure to follow the journey man.

njphysique

Awards
Bodybuilding will definitely have the prize money but physique will take the modeling and magazine gigs. More appealing to the average reader. Both have their place in bodybuilding and competition.

njphysique

Awards
Wow that's some serious gains. Keep it up. Aim for junior nationals in chicago then nationals or usa's. My buddy is training for junior nationals in june right now coming in as a heavyweight. I'm currently light for a physique competitor at 5'9.5" and 172.2 @ 4.56% body fat. Checked this morning. Will get it down around 4.0-4.25% prior to peak week.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Physique allows us normal guys to compete. I am BBer at heart and anyone who knows me will tell ya that. But I will never be able to compete professionally in BBing. I am 6-2 nearly 6-3. I would have to put on 30lbs of mass at my show weight which is nearly impossible for me ever to do. with that said physique wise I am one of the bigger competitors. Each time I am on stage when photos are taken and I see them I am usually bigger all around more muscular than most. But the judges like it. I am 7 weeks out and cant wait. I took about 4 months to just gain a few more lbs of muscle, wanted a larger back so have been really concentrating on that. Everyone on my team is commenting lately on my back. I hope once I am down to weight it still looks good.

njphysique

Awards
Good work. It's going to be interesting to see what the judges are really looking for in physique. The head judge for my first comp is the President himself Jim Manion so I'll definitely be able to let everyone know what he is looking for and that goes for bodybuilding as well. A solid 6 pack and nice symmetry with muscles proportionate to the rest of the body is key for physique. Bodybuilding is mass with a shredded look

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Physique has a lot to do with stage presence. However, Physique guys are getting leaner and leaner. I think the reason for that is, they also want to see work ethic. Someone Lean and in shape and shows they are willing to put the time in.

Last show, there were about 4 or 5 guys that really looked as if they have never been to a gym. They were lean to an extent but had no muscle tone. There were 40 contestents the first time on stage, when they cut down to 20 they were wondering why they were cut. To me it was a no brainer, they had no muscle, they were just naturally lean. When they did the cut down to 10 and I looked down the stage I saw 9 others that looked like they belonged there. Everyone was sub 5%, everyone had muscle, Everyone looked as if they could do a Photo shoot for any sup company. I like that its getting more competitive.

LilTank

Awards
Keep us the work guys , I'm a fan of your class of bodybuilding I really am. Just am a classical guy at heart. And I can't fight it but I like the new packages people like Phil Heath bring.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Keep us the work guys , I'm a fan of your class of bodybuilding I really am. Just am a classical guy at heart. And I can't fight it but I like the new packages people like Phil Heath bring.
Phil is the man! Really nice guy too.

njphysique

Awards
Phil is the man but I'm still a Cutler fan at heart. Going to a great year.

30 minutes of fasted cardio done by 6 am this morning. Just threw down a 4 egg white and 2 slices of p28 bread sandwich. Now time for work.

LilTank

Awards
P28 bread? What is this ? And I did one of 60 mins fasted cardio sessions followed by 10 egg whites and 1 cup oats . Extra water in both to help stay full, really works. And I'm not truly a Jay Cutler fan because he's just to bulky looking I do respect him though. Just not a huge fan.

njphysique

Awards
P28 bread is awesome. 28 grams of whey protein isolate and 24 grams of carbs in 2 slices. I eat that and Ezekiel bread to go with oats potatoes and rice as my carb sources. I'm on a 3 day carb cycle so each day is different.

LilTank

Awards
P28 bread is awesome. 28 grams of whey protein isolate and 24 grams of carbs in 2 slices. I eat that and Ezekiel bread to go with oats potatoes and rice as my carb sources. I'm on a 3 day carb cycle so each day is different.
Where can you buy this p28 bread ?!! Sounds amazing. Could try using it on my carb up days.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Very nice, I have to look this up. I only eat Ezekiel now. explains why 4 eggs only. I was going to say I eat 10 whites each time I eat eggs.

LilTank

Awards
Anyone ever tried protein pancakes during a carb up day? I'm really debating throwing it in this week and see how my body reacts to it.

njphysique

Awards
I've never tried protein pancakes. I did have regular pancakes a week ago for my last cheat day. Now it's just a refeed day once a week but with no cheat meals just more potatoes rice oats and rice cakes. Thank god that day is tomorrow right after my morning fasted cardio.

LilTank

Awards
I haven't had a cheat meal in. Four months just carb up days while carb cycling.

njphysique

Awards
Only 5 weeks to go. I hit a bump in the road being stressed out by things unrelated to this. Sushi with soy sauce definitely helped me tonight on my refeed day since i really haven't eaten in 2 days. Tomorrow I'm right back on the plan.

The national teen champ from last yr is in the new flex magazine. He's going through a chest workout with chris cormier.

LilTank

Awards
Today was my carb-up day my first one with only oats and rice cakes and honestly I'm real excited to see how I look and feel tomorrow. It's keeping me much lighter than a bunch of yams/sweet potatoes. Will tell you guys about the overall results tomorrow and break it down for everyone a little better than. Keep moving forward guys.

LilTank

Awards
Saturday March 2, exactly five weeks away from my first bodybuilding contest. As I promised I would outline and give details of my last carb up day. Well to begin, I used only old fashion oats and lightly gluten free rice cakes besides my usually salads but that's just for fiber and vitamins. Overall I took in around 220 carbs yesterday on my carb up day after being at 50 for the two days before. I was feeling like I was looking really flat that Thursday but Friday is always my carb up. I had 4.5cups of oats (175 carbs) and 6 rice cakes (45 carbs about). I felt great all day , didn't get any carb bloat just felt awesome. Today I woke up and took some pictures like I do ever few days and WOW, it leaned me out better than anything else. I have never looked better even on a Zero carb day. My triceps were feathered same with legs. My body really loves the oats and rice cakes. This week was a huge jump towards learning the best results for "my" body. I can't take all the credit for this idea though, the great Jay Cutler takes about using only oats and rice cakes in ripped to shreds and I was interested so tried it. Along with other bodybuilders I study. I feel and look better than I have all prep so I will stick to oats and rice cakes for another three weeks at least and continue to update the AM family. Also adding extra water to egg whites and oats really helps keep you full and not nearly as hungry it's great. Got legs and shoulders today should be a great workout. Time to kill it this week boys!

njphysique

Awards
Keep it up Tank!!! Knock it out of the park like Dexter did at the Arnold. Just don't be like me and peak to early. I have to add carbs on my high carb cycle day and add back in creatine.

LilTank

Awards
Yeah I was worried about peaking early but now I think I'm right on phase to come in perfectly. I recently added a few supplements to my routine that should really enable my body to function at its best. And no not AAS haha waiting till three weeks out to add in some winny. If your curious about what I added in Id be willing be share.

LilTank

Awards
Daily supplements Fireball(4)-2x daily pre cardio, pre meal 7keto(2-3)-2x daily pre cardio, pre meal Sports multi(2)- with morning meal Recreate(3)-2x daily pre cardio, pre cardio Uva Uris(6)-3x daily with meals B-complex(4)-2 x daily morning meal, one other meal ZMA(3)- night empty stomach

Those are currently what and how I am taking. I started most of these at five weeks out. The fat burners I started six weeks out just to give my cardio sessions a little kick. And now I have lowered my sodium levels trying to get some of that extra water I have purposely been holding onto just because.

njphysique

Awards
Are you going to take a diuretic? Uvi ursis is an ingredient is most otc diuretics.

LilTank

Awards
Yes I'm using it for that purpose now just a little to help with water weight then 10 days out start Xpel.

njphysique

Awards
Sounds good man. I'm actually using xpel starting 5 days out. I add some sodium this weekend since I'm really low. I'll be starting my sodium manipulation 15 days out