Does the carb source matter

N

need4speed

Awards
During a cutting diet does the carb source matter? Ie Orange juice vs brown rice?

thank you

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Not really, just make sure calories are the same. With that said, Brown rice will definitely keep me fuller longer than a liquid!

babjizzle

babjizzle

Awards
carbs are carbs, whether they come form a donkey or beans. what you need to check is the other component ratio of the items. for example the other components of oranges versus brown rice and then choose accordingly.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Not all carbs are created equal. Eat 54-carbs from white bread one day and 1 Cup of oatmeal the next and see the diference in how you feel. I went a long tiem without eating oatmeal. I would eat Bro rice or sweet potato or ezekial bread for meal 1, all pretty good sources of carbs. About 8 months ago I switched to Oats again and huge difference. I'm a big eater witha big appetite. I eat oats with meal 1 and I'm not hungry for hours. I eat Ezekial bread and I'm hungry 90-minto 2 hours later. If I'd eat white bread or a donut or fruit, I'd be starving in 60-minutes.

And it depends on your goals. I know some guys that swear by white rice and potatoes over sweet pot and bro rice. THey also might be using some things that help with shuttling of those carbs too... I'm from the school where you should be eating for what you need. When restricting diet it's better to eat something that will stick with you longer.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Carbs, depending on the source effect my performance to a huge extent. As much as I like ezekiel bread, bread in general, rice, pasta make me feel bloated and sluggish. The more processed it is the $hittier I react to it. Ive even been thinking about replacing my oatmeal with sweet potatoes for this reason

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
It's not just the calories. You also have to look at the glycemic values. The carbs with a lower value keep you fuller longer and will not spike your insulin as much.

kmh23

kmh23

Awards
Carbs, depending on the source effect my performance to a huge extent. As much as I like ezekiel bread, bread in general, rice, pasta make me feel bloated and sluggish. The more processed it is the $hittier I react to it. Ive even been thinking about replacing my oatmeal with sweet potatoes for this reason
Oatmeal makes you feel ****ty? I'm not ? Sweet potatoes bc there are one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet. But as far as energy goes oatmeal is one of the best carbs source out there. At least to me they are.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
During a cutting diet does the carb source matter? Ie Orange juice vs brown rice?

thank you
Of course! Reason is because just like protein sources have varied rates of digestion, carbohydrates do too! Orange juice for one, shouldn't even be a part of your "cutting" cycle. If you want orange juice, ditch the liquid crack and pick up a real orange! But even then, the sugars(carbs) are not similar still! When you look at the fruit source of carbohydrates, you see a decent caloric energy source with fiber and sugars. Although it contains fiber similar to brown rice. The molecular build of the sugars from the orange (fructose) molecules allow for quick absorption ,whereas the sugars of the brown rice are more "complex". Literally.
But, no...seriously the two affect your blood sugar levels differently too. One will keep you better satiated due to its minute amount of both fiber and protein as well.

Ummmm...i think thats it. Brain has been working overtime lately:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Oatmeal makes you feel ****ty? I'm not ? Sweet potatoes bc there are one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet. But as far as energy goes oatmeal is one of the best carbs source out there. At least to me they are.
Ya ive eaten oatmeal pretty much twice a day for years. But lately i feel well bloated and sluggish after eating it. Maybe developing a food intolerance IDK but regardless I dont like the way my body is responding to it any more and with a show coming up I need to be on point. Show its looking like lots of sweet potatoes and cream of rice for me.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
I agree with the ol' school thought that it does matter where you get your carbs from. I like dense carbs, low in sugar. I eat tons of oatmeal, sweet potatos, and brown rice. If I eat bread, its ezekiel.

Oats are meal 1 always. Sweet potato is usually meal 2 and 4. Rice is meal 3 and 5. Thats my normal.

I am stuck in my ways too, I like consitency it make it much easier to diet for me.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
GI is good to follow, but as BB/Fitness enthusiasts we usually eat mixed meals (carb, protein, fat) together and the other macros will usually effect how fast your body digest and utilizes the carbs making a higher GI carb act more like a lower or moderate GI carb. However, there is still a difference. As I mentioned earlier Oats stick with me forever and I love that. I like eating EZ bread and sweet potatoes more, but they just don't stick with me as long. I've noticed recently that Bro rice stikcs with me for a longer period of time than sweet potatoes too, which stinks because I LOVE sweet potatoes.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
GI is good to follow, but as BB/Fitness enthusiasts we usually eat mixed meals (carb, protein, fat) together and the other macros will usually effect how fast your body digest and utilizes the carbs making a higher GI carb act more like a lower or moderate GI carb. However, there is still a difference. As I mentioned earlier Oats stick with me forever and I love that. I like eating EZ bread and sweet potatoes more, but they just don't stick with me as long. I've noticed recently that Bro rice stikcs with me for a longer period of time than sweet potatoes too, which stinks because I LOVE sweet potatoes.
Right on, good post, reps for joo

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oatmeal and Brown rice will fill you out in fullness much more than orange juice. So yes, it matters IMO.

Mike

E

engival

Awards
  • Established
CARBOHYDRATES! A Carb is a Carb! - YouTube
Apparently the GI = BS

"Next up is a recent study by Madero and colleagues, comparing the 6-week effects of a low-fructose diet (less than 20 g/day) or a moderate-fructose diet (50-70 g/day) mostly from whole fruit [16]. The moderate-fructose group lost significantly more weight than the low-fructose group (4.19 kg versus 2.83 kg, respectively). Notably, the moderate-fructose group lost slightly more fat, but not to a statistically significant degree."

Alan Aragon

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Short answer= Not really

I will say as far as energy levels go though I notice complex carbs and micro nutirents play a huge role in how I feel. I've never gone full contest prep since I don't compete, but I do get down into the 8% range during the summer. I also think from a health aspect eating sweet potatoes vs poptarts is a better way to go.

A

Alinshop

Banned
Awards
Short answer= Not really

I will say as far as energy levels go though I notice complex carbs and micro nutirents play a huge role in how I feel. I've never gone full contest prep since I don't compete, but I do get down into the 8% range during the summer. I also think from a health aspect eating sweet potatoes vs poptarts is a better way to go.

I think that eating vanilla cake with vanilla icing vs sweet potatoes is a better way to go :nervous:

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This has probably been said before..

But carb sources don't matter in terms of nutritional value.

Personally however I like eating the bro foods when cutting. Simply because if I were to eat chicken broccoli and oatmeal all day I would have to seriously bust my ass to eat enough of those foods to gain fat.

Whole foods keep you fuller longer and offer a more steady source of energy (no sugar spike and crash). So one can see how they are more desirable when you are trying to maintain a deficit.

But again a carb is a carb.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
This has probably been said before..

But carb sources don't matter in terms of nutritional value.

Personally however I like eating the bro foods when cutting. Simply because if I were to eat chicken broccoli and oatmeal all day I would have to seriously bust my ass to eat enough of those foods to gain fat.

Whole foods keep you fuller longer and offer a more steady source of energy (no sugar spike and crash). So one can see how they are more desirable when you are trying to maintain a deficit.

But again a carb is a carb.
So on my high carb days i can get all my carbs from ice cream instead of 4lbs of potatoes. Awesome

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So on my high carb days i can get all my carbs from ice cream instead of 4lbs of potatoes. Awesome
Ill humor you, keep in mind I almost tore my right pec so I'm not in the best of moods.

Lets say you find a sugar free or hell even an ice cream with low sugar. And at the end of your high carb DAY you have your proteins fats and carbs spot on.
Besides like I said not having constant energy and bloating (both temporary) what would the real difference be at the end of the week if the other 6 days were spot on but with your potatoes.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Ill humor you, keep in mind I almost tore my right pec so I'm not in the best of moods.

Lets say you find a sugar free or hell even an ice cream with low sugar. And at the end of your high carb DAY you have your proteins fats and carbs spot on.
Besides like I said not having constant energy and bloating (both temporary) what would the real difference be at the end of the week if the other 6 days were spot on but with your potatoes.
So your saying that if uou dont mind being bloated and lethargic then the carb source doesnt matter lol. Im juat bustin balls ill never agree with you guys on this one. Ive had thia arguement a few times on here so now im just being a dick. You da man SG im just buatin balls

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So your saying that if uou dont mind being bloated and lethargic then the carb source doesnt matter lol. Im juat bustin balls ill never agree with you guys on this one. Ive had thia arguement a few times on here so now im just being a dick. You da man SG im just buatin balls
Carb up days are supposed to be that way :( that's the fun part! Lol it's all good man

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Carb up days are supposed to be that way :( that's the fun part! Lol it's all good man
Ya not for me bro. 4 weeks from a photo shoot 5 weeks to the stage, diet is precise to hit that 4-5%

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya not for me bro. 4 weeks from a photo shoot 5 weeks to the stage, diet is precise to hit that 4-5%
Of course there's always special circumstances, I was speaking for general bulking or cutting. Can't wait to see the pics man!

michaelawlker

michaelawlker

Awards
Personally I am preferring tones of sweet potato during dieting. Currently, I am looking for best purely because its 20g of carbs per 97 calories and it is great.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I always have people begin prep with easy digesting non filling carbs and transition into more fibrous satiating carbs.

Both sources are capable of getting you in stellar shape -- it just will affect your satiation and digestion differently is all.

-Matt