Gbye MP, hello BB! OKCGP 20wks out

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
My quest to hit 200 then compete in the spring

**EDIT** no longer doing the OKC GP. Let the bulking begin!

After much prodding from friends and others I am going to be competing in my third show as a bodybuilder. I have come to realize that I am not the men's physique type. So now the prep begins. Here's the current plan:

OKC Grand Prix is November 3rd. I will bulk as leanly as possible until August, when I will begin my slow cut and prep to be stage ready midway through October. The main goal is to put back on as much leg mass as possible since I lost a good bit during my last prep.

Current stats:

5'5", 173 lbs, approximately 8-9% BF. The weight and BF% are an estimate, although, they should be pretty close. I will be checking my progress with a bodpod and plan to have my initial for this log done on Tuesday of next week. At that point in time I will solidify my diet since the system gives me a print out of my RMR and daily caloric needs based on energy expenditure.

Current Diet:

Nothing too crazy. Minimums of 240g protein, 350g carbs, 110g fat. I'm averaging about 4000 kcals per day. My portions are weighed on a food scale and tracked via MFP. Again, this will all be solidified and cleaned up a bit next week. Most of my protein comes from whole foods, but I typically get a protein shake, sometimes two, per day as well as some Dark Matter post workout.

Current Split:

Sunday - rest
Monday - Power Legs
Tuesday - Power Upper
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Volume Legs
Friday - Volume Upper Push
Saturday - Volume Upper Pull

Most of my workouts are typically quite varied. My power leg workouts though tend to stay relatively similar since I am fused from L4-S1 and have some wicked back problems. Areas I will be focusing on are hams, quads, abs, tris, and chest. I feel these are my weakest points (in that order).

Due to my job I tend to travel quite a bit. I will be on the road for 2-4 weeks at a time. This is the biggest challenge for me once cutting begins. Finding a gym isn't usually that difficult since I teach a military course and I can just go lift before or after I teach.

Feel free to post suggestions or ask questions. Here is the link to my last prep thread with pics of where I ended about two weeks ago.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bodybuilding-contest-preparation/200370-prep-pics-39-a.html

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
After much prodding from friends and others I am going to be competing in my third show as a bodybuilder. I have come to realize that I am not the men's physique type. So now the prep begins. Here's the current plan:

OKC Grand Prix is November 3rd. I will bulk as leanly as possible until August, when I will begin my slow cut and prep to be stage ready midway through October. The main goal is to put back on as much leg mass as possible since I lost a good bit during my last prep.

Current stats:

5'5", 173 lbs, approximately 8-9% BF. The weight and BF% are an estimate, although, they should be pretty close. I will be checking my progress with a bodpod and plan to have my initial for this log done on Tuesday of next week. At that point in time I will solidify my diet since the system gives me a print out of my RMR and daily caloric needs based on energy expenditure.

Current Diet:

Nothing too crazy. Minimums of 240g protein, 350g carbs, 110g fat. I'm averaging about 4000 kcals per day. My portions are weighed on a food scale and tracked via MFP. Again, this will all be solidified and cleaned up a bit next week. Most of my protein comes from whole foods, but I typically get a protein shake, sometimes two, per day as well as some Dark Matter post workout.

Current Split:

Sunday - rest
Monday - Power Legs
Tuesday - Power Upper
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Volume Legs
Friday - Volume Upper Push
Saturday - Volume Upper Pull

Most of my workouts are typically quite varied. My power leg workouts though tend to stay relatively similar since I am fused from L4-S1 and have some wicked back problems. Areas I will be focusing on are hams, quads, abs, tris, and chest. I feel these are my weakest points (in that order).

Due to my job I tend to travel quite a bit. I will be on the road for 2-4 weeks at a time. This is the biggest challenge for me once cutting begins. Finding a gym isn't usually that difficult since I teach a military course and I can just go lift before or after I teach.

Feel free to post suggestions or ask questions. Here is the link to my last prep thread with pics of where I ended about two weeks ago.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bodybuilding-contest-preparation/200370-prep-pics-39-a.html
Awesome detail thus far bud, good luck and im following along.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
The past few days have been pretty nasty with high volume. I'm not going to break down every workout as I go along but here are the primary lift's from today's Power leg workout:

V-Squat - 5x5 w/610
Front squats - 5x5 w/ 135, 155, 175, 185, 205
Romanians - 5x5 w/ 205

Had to cut it a bit short since I had to get back to work. Followed all that up with 6 sets of calf work. I'll be getting body composition tested again tomorrow. I'm somewhat undecided after a bit more talking as to whether I am going to compete for sure in November, but if I do I'll be competing middleweight. Next up for tomorrow is power upper. I'll be focusing on a bit more of my lower chest this time.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Did my power upper lifting today with a bit more focus on filling out the lower and middle portion of my chest. Also had composition checked and built my macro requirements.

At 170 lbs and 9.4% bodyfat BMR = 1882 (using Katch/McKardle formula)With a moderately active lifestyle variable of 1.5-1.6 daily caloric needs are 2823-3011.

MACRO BREAKDOWN!!!
Protein = 210g (840 kcal)
Carbs = 500g (2000 kcal)
Fat = 75g (675 kcal)
Total= 3515 kcal

This is roughly what I'll be adhering to since MFP only allows me to adjust daily goals by percentage and not specific numbers.

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
i was just at the bottom of this page and shot ya a note ask'n if ya would be there, i thought it was in oct.(thanks for info..lol) i'll see ya there bro. i'll do masters for sure. open and novice. im 44 so a masters win is what im after im about 188lbs now hopen to move up to lt heavy. as of now id still make mid. that pics from last years bulk(about 191 lbs). i've heard alot of good things about this show, last time i showed was in oct last year so cant wait to go to OK,most likely be the only one for me this year.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
I'm not 100% sure yet on how I plan to progress, but I checked and it's on Nov 3. I'll post up for sure tomorrow since I'll be sitting down with someone to really look at where I am, where I need to be, and how feasible everything is. If I compete in the GP I'll be doing middle novice and open, so get ready for a pose down brother cuz I will be up there for the overall novice ;)

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
im sure yr rite about that date i was kinda going by last years date ..lol Hope to see ya there.....hopeing to be 100% for this one..so the pose down it is bro......times time to get in show mode.....see at the fights.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Well, it's been suggested that I go ahead and bulk through the end of the year or I hit 200, which ever comes first, and then prep to compete this spring. So I'll be changing the title of the thread. I'll be continuing with my current routine and we will see how my quest for 200 pans out. My personal best is 186.

Today was a power leg day. Important stuff from the workout was....

Squats:
4x3 315
2x3 335
1x1 365

Trap bar deads:
3x5 365
2x10 365

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Haven't forgotten about this thread/log. Goals are so far off right now though that I think weekly-ish updates should suffice. Still using the same routine and calories are a minimum of 4000/day. I am now up to 182 so gains are coming along nicely. 200 seems well within my grasp.

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
you hit that befor ya know it bro, i gotta pass on the grand prix, me and my lady are moveing back to cali in a few weeks. starting to wonder if i'll do a show at all is year, i'm also wanting to put on mass so i'm not totally bumd-out. and i'm so glad to be going home to cali !!!!

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Congrats on getting back to where you want to be!

Injury report: I messed up my back the other day on my power leg day. Warmed up to quickly. First working set was squats and started with 315. Strained my left side erector spinae when I rocked forward just a tad. Man am I pissed! I still finished with a stupid amount of leg extensions (they help relax my back actually) and calf raises as well.

I was still able to lift yesterday and today and have had to adjust somewhat due to my back. I threw in a little interval stuff and did a high volume back workout today. Has anyone used a Concept 2 Ski Ergo? That thing is a ball smoker! Warmed up with 60 second sprints and 30 second rests for 20 minutes. Had an insane pump. Up to 184 as of the other day too.

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
the ski ergo sounds like a killer ! easy on that back...you know who long that stuff can take to heal up, ive never pulled erector but i have a lat and a trap...that stuff is no joke. were headed to cali in like 9 days. can't wait, i'll look for a show soon as were settled. were gonna be way up north on the cost, about 300 miles north of frisco, gonna have to travel for shows....the comp there is crazy im sure.....lol

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Back is coming along well. Was able to do the incline while I'm here in Colo Spgs. For those not enlightened, it's a 2100' climb over 3/4 of a mile. Instead of taking the 3 mile trail of switchbacks back down I walked back down the face. 36 minutes to the top and 37 minutes down. Holy piss buckets. My quads and calves are quite sore today. Week after next, when I return to OK, I will be able to jump in the bodpod again to see how much lean mass I've gained.

Fortunately my progress it quite visible to all my friends I haven't seen in a while. So much so that most of them didn't recognize me until we were standing face to face. The reactions are hilarious. I've blown out the arse of a pair of jeans, and there was only one pair in the entire store I went to to replace them that was loose enough to fit without looking like stretchy pants. My legs are definitely growing.

Tomorrow I will be focusing on back work as well as stepping on a scale to see what kind of progress I have made.

Here's "the incline" from the bottom

as I'm going up

and from the top

The little brown area about center screen is the beginning/end point. I love workouts like this. I'm going to try to hit it up once more before I leave.

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
nice !! thats a huge hill bro...should do the trick..lol

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
The past couple weeks have been plagued with injuries. This past weekend I badly strained my lower left abdominal region or have a hernia. I'm taking the next ten or so days off to recuperate and will adjust my lifting accordingly when I start back up again.

This time to heal is probably good for me overall since I haven't taken any time of since I started my last prep almost a year ago now. A little strategic deconditioning should help spur a little extra growth as well.