Competing with Tattoos (Fading them)

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
Hey guys,
With regards to the ambition of competitive bodybuilding, I'm a late starter.

I might not have what it takes, I definitely will never be Mr. O. Hell, I'll never even be top 10 of the Amateur Arnold Classic.
I may not even place in a local judging. To me it doesn't matter. I just want to dedicate myself to competitive bodybuilding on any level, be the best bodybuilder I can be, and perhaps be recognised for it on some scale. I plan to do my first competition in 3-4 years. Perhaps 2 if I develop well.

My question is, since I was 17 I've been getting tattooed (5 years ago, way before I got into BB). I am now somewhat heavily tattooed. The Only regard in which I regret my tattoos is how they now inhibit my chance for success in competition. If I could get rid of them for the sake of competing then it would be an easy choice, but surgery for that amount of tattoos would be ridiculously expensive.

My left arm is practically solid with dark designs from the shoulder down. (Nothing on the delt)
The left side of my torso (armpit to waist) is heavily tattooed with a large piece, my right arm has a few pieces on it (also nothing on the delt).
My chest has some unfinished outlines of a pretty big piece which is shaded solid between the pecs.

I am naturally dark in complexion. Being half Turkish, I can almost achieve what most would consider a decent "stage colour" completely naturally if I tan for long enough (I never get sunburned). With a spray tan, I'd look even darker, obviously.

If I were to apply tan accelerators and tan as much as is (safely) possible do you think it would fade (and obviously damage) the tattoos to an extent where they would be less vibrant, or at least be much less visible when I am tanned and sprayed? It will obviously still affect striations and therefore judging, but would the difference be dramatic enough where they are perhaps hardly noticable?

I'm aware that up against another competitor with identical size and cuts I'd lose out with tattoos. But is my suggested method something to think about?

Please give me guidance (and perhaps, a glimmer of hope :nervous: ) if you can.

Thank you.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
First of all, my highest regards for stepping up and deciding to compete. You have a great mindset and it takes a lot of character to get on that stage.

I have a couple tattoos, one small design on my inner bicep and a large (almost billboard) across my back. Both only black. Almost all bodybuilders these days have tatoos so don't feel singled out. From my experience and from what Ive seen theres almost no way to hide them. Just tan really really dark. That's how Dorian Yates hid his forearm.

It's tough because you have a LOT. All said and done, just do it. I can't really suggest any products to you because most of the stage makeup people use isnt designed to go with a spray tan. Just tan dark as hell.

EddyRay

EddyRay

Awards
I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement. It really means a lot. Thank you for the advice.

seany71

seany71

Awards
Ditto mate. Can't wait to read how you go?? Iv seen 100's of comps. Nearly everybody has tatts. You should always be looking at the darkest tan posable. And most tatts just fade into your tan. Some times you can't even see the heavily tattooed guys. A single tatt on a pasty white body sticks out like dogs balls!! Standing on stage in front of 100's of people in your undies should be your only concern mate. Not your tatts. Don't worry about them. Have fun. Do your best. Good luck.

TayTeg

TayTeg

Awards
Don't be ashamed of your tattoos. It has its perks and it has its defaults. The perk is the darker your tattoo and as big as your describing you should get optimal shading in that area, I have tons and it only makes areas darker making for a better shadding . The downside is if one of judges is grows fond of tattoos and personally doesn't like them but you should be alright mate.