Planning to compete next spring, starting to train now.

ray357

Awards
I'm thinking about doing a competition next spring and I was hoping to get some insight from people who have done them before. I am 28 years old, 5'3" and about 150lbs. I bulk up pretty good because of my height. I walk around comfortably at about 14-16%bf without eating clean. I did a calendar at work last year and had alot of fun dieting and training for it. The plan for right now is to spend the rest of this year trying to add mass and start dieting after the new year for a spring show. That gives me about 6 months to bulk up. I know this is not alot of time, but I think I can make some good gains. I think ideally I would compete around 135lbs, but I guess we'll see.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding training splits, dieting, supplements, etc please let me know.

ray357

Awards
I have an appointment with a trainer on saturday. He competes and has won some local shows. He said he is confident we can add 15 lbs before we start to diet. My only issue is that I can't do alot of supplements bc of my job. I hope this doesn't screw me when it comes to my competition at my weight class. When it comes down to it I am competing against myself, and am using the contest as motivation to get in the best shape I have ever been in. Once I go over a plan with the trainer I will post it up here so you guys can let me know what you think.

fitcopforlife

fitcopforlife

Awards
  • Established
Go for it man but what you really need to focus on during this "Bulk" is gaining muscle and not alot of fat to get to your desired competition weight. When you start your cut for your show you only want to lose around 1 to 1/2 pounds per week so if your goal is to hit a certain weight stick to a good meal plan in the off season and get quality muscle gains. Good luck man.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I just did my 2nd show. I did cardio on stepmill in the am, and trained after work.
Day 1 Chest, calves, abs
Day 2 Back, hams
Day 3 Delts, trapz
Day 4 Legs
Day 5 arms
I had duty once every 6 days due to being in the navy.
I cycled carbs doing 3 low days, 2 no days, and 2 high days, but next time I will do all low carb and one refeed day.
I trained with a partner when I could. I would recommend having someone teach you a posing routine. Its my weakpoint for now. It wont be again.
Practice posing after each workout, to get used to it. Do all your quarter turns and manditory poses. I carb depleted by wed, and began cutting water and carbing up thursday. I drank 1/2 gallon thursday and sips friday. I only used sea salt on all my food
Your body will tell you what It can tolerate food wise.
I exfoliated and shaved Friday morning before the show, and applied pro tan friday. I had my friend apply dream tan and oil before going on stage. Get 2 pairs of posing trunks too. Wear black to the show, and bring wipes, towels, food, cash, your music on CD, GATORADE, candy, redwine, and coke. Good luck bro. Hit me up for advice if you want.

ray357

Awards
Awesome thanks for the responses! I am aiming to compete in April because I want to do this trip to DC in May that I normally do. This gives me about 4 1/2 months more before diet. I am 157 lbs right now at 5'3". I am like 16% bf though which is high for me. I will see how the next few months go, and If necessary I will wait til September to compete ans start my diet after DC. I just want to make quality gains and not just puff up. That way I will keep more through the diet. note, I am only using a preworkout w/ creatine (NO Shotgun). about 200 to 225 grams of protein, and extra amino supps. I have not used any steroids or prohormones. I am uneducated on that stuff and would not know what to do as far as my goals. I don't want to be like those kids that do stuff just to do stuff.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
True, dont use anything hormonal for your first show. Its best to do a show first and then get into that stuff. If the trip is more important do that first. Contest prep takes dedication, focus, time, and motivation to the tenth power. Its nerve racking, but fun, and a helluva ride. The journey is one youll never forget.

Use BCAA'S before cardio, and during training. You can buy them plain and mix them with crystal light or gatorade if you can use the carbs.
Use only whey isolate if you can afford it during prep. Its cleaner and loaded with good stuff.
Make sure you get enough vitamins, minerals during prep to keep your immune system up, and prevent dehydration.
Make your food for the next day in advance, measure the meat portions, and take them in a cooler with ice packs. I used a cooler I got from target for 18 bucks and its lasted me a while. Its roomy too. You can put premade shakes in there too. This way youll prevent missing meals. Time for me to go. Take care

ray357

Awards
Awesome thanks alot. I have been pretty good about cooking in advance. The only thing I have not begun yet is weiging my portions out. I imagine once I start that, and start eating religiously on time I will notice a big difference. I just picked up an amino supp from VPX for during training. I like it alot, but I may try and find it plain so I can buy in bulk and save $$$. I have been looking into D Aspartic Acid just to keep test levels elevated enough to keep size. I just have to be careful with other options because I am a cop. I am going to a level 3 or 4 show next week so I will get to see what guys in my class will look like. Can't wait!

ray357

Awards
Been a while. I started training with a partner about 3 months ago, maybe 2. My training has been heavier than ever. I am up about 15lbs since I began this thread. I definitely notice gains in mass, however, my mid section has taken a hit. My diet will start on new years. There is a local guy that charges $500 for 8 week prep. That seems steep, so I will shop around. What should I expect to pay for a prep?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Go for it man but what you really need to focus on during this "Bulk" is gaining muscle and not alot of fat to get to your desired competition weight. When you start your cut for your show you only want to lose around 1 to 1/2 pounds per week so if your goal is to hit a certain weight stick to a good meal plan in the off season and get quality muscle gains. Good luck man.
^ This.

Trainers will, of course, promise you the moon when it comes to getting you to hire them. For your first show, I highly... HIGHLY suggest you simply entrench yourself in research and have fun with it, engaging in trial and error and never veering from the massive body of proven science that exists out there for losing body fat while retaining muscle and save your money for food and supplements (and NPC fees)! After competing for so many years, I realize no one can offer me a better service, than I can!

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found a contest prep writeup for diet/nutrition up to contest, I think it was from the Scivation site and it was a free download.

I def think the final 2-3 weeks are the most challenging, just stay focused it's a great and fulfilling journey!

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Yes, use the Scivation DIET as a guideline. It looks good. I checked it out. I have used a friend and fellow bodybuilder to check myself, and give advice. I would focus more on learning your manditory poses, and a routine second. Prejudging is everything. You want to try your best to look great on show day. However, we will cover that later on. Dont worry bro, my midsection has taken a hit too. I will burn it, and you will too. I am using D Aspartic too. 3 gm daily. I take it with 2 other natural test boosters. Good stuff.

ray357

Awards
Awesome, thanks guys. I have been using the D-aspartic in bulk powder from nutraplanet. It's like $12. Pretty cheap and I think it works bc I have boners all the time lol. Anyway, I am going to check up on that scivation diet. Anything that saves money. I hate to shoot my $ wad for a $15 trophy ya know.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I found a contest prep writeup for diet/nutrition up to contest, I think it was from the Scivation site and it was a free download.

I def think the final 2-3 weeks are the most challenging, just stay focused it's a great and fulfilling journey!
Great suggestion... I found these e-books a while ago and was impressed they made it available to the consumer for free, which is a good marketing tactic of course, but still helpful and free. :) Thanks for the reminder. I suggest everyone check these books out.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, thanks guys. I have been using the D-aspartic in bulk powder from nutraplanet. It's like $12. Pretty cheap and I think it works bc I have boners all the time lol. Anyway, I am going to check up on that scivation diet. Anything that saves money. I hate to shoot my $ wad for a $15 trophy ya know.
It isn't all about... or at all about... the trophy. The trophy is a metaphorical and literal representation of crossing the finish line, a bookmark in your life of progress to reflect on with a visual representation - nothing more. Another post, another time.

At any rate... I just ordered 3 Test Force 2 containers a few days ago... will be here tomorrow.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I also had a boner lastnight. I know this cause I kept waking up due to a late cup of coffee. Bad idea. I like the D Aspartic Acid. It does really work. I am stronger, and am lasting longer in the gym. What fat burner are you planning on taking? I used Animal Cuts.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
lol, Good. I am almost done with mine. I had another great workout yesterday. I just need to eat more. Its been a struggle. I am not losing weight or muscle. My physique is changing for the better. I just want to get bigger. I need to step it up a notch. Bam!!!

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
lol, Good. I am almost done with mine. I had another great workout yesterday. I just need to eat more. Its been a struggle. I am not losing weight or muscle. My physique is changing for the better. I just want to get bigger. I need to step it up a notch. Bam!!!
Hey Emeril! ;)

My 3 Test Force 2's arrived yesterday - I was kind of thrown off by the careless packaging of the product though (the heat seal wasn't snug on the bottle and the cap was EASILY taken off without removing or cracking it), and the 'sealed for your protection' paper on top of the can under the lid was totally disconnected from the container and there was no glue on it. For all I know, I'm paying $2 every time I use it, for Kool Aid powder :(

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would contact the company, and I bet they will replace it free of charge.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I would contact the company, and I bet they will replace it free of charge.
Nope :(

They just explained that packaging in the industry could be better and the product, they assured me, never came into the public's hands (so there is NO WAY it was tampered with, right?)

Just to ease my mind, what does everyone's Test Force 2 look and taste like? Thanks!

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I am 95% sure. I mean every time I order a PH or test booster I wonder, but its most likely fine.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I am 95% sure. I mean every time I order a PH or test booster I wonder, but its most likely fine.
Thanks man!

By the way, it's a semi-fruit punch tasting off whitish powder that has a nice smell but slightly pungent taste when taken on its own that I wouldn't recommend. Seem right and similar to everyone else's?

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Not sure. I know most natty boosters have a very distinct smell to them

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Not sure. I know most natty boosters have a very distinct smell to them
Thanks. It doesn't list a flavor on the container, but it is definitely flavored with something. I very mild fruit punch perhaps. Anyway, the powder (TestForce2) is almost a perfect bright white.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool on the contest. Here's some no BS sources of wisdom for you bro

lyle mcdonald from body recomposition

Martin Berkham from lean gains

jcd from jcd fitness.

Sorry can't link the sites due to rules but search their names on google and you'll find them. They are all on the cutting edge of the science of this sport and don't give you bogus info. Jcd is the simpliest source of info and easiest to read. Lyle is the deepest as he is a scientist.

ray357

Awards
I am not too internet savvy, so pardon me if I broke rules. Am I not aloud to post links on here? I started a blog with my progress pics and diet and stuff. What are the rules? I posted it before but it's not here anymore?

ray357

Awards
Not sure where it went, but it is smallraymond. blogspot .com
I spaced the site out, so just copy paste and eliminate the spaces.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards

true. 2 weeks out and 1 week out are where it gets tricky. that is when the sodium and water intake get altered and things get a bit more "tricky." ;)

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
true. 2 weeks out and 1 week out are where it gets tricky. that is when the sodium and water intake get altered and things get a bit more "tricky." ;)
OH man.... (shakes and lowers head)

Never, ever, manipulate sodium and water. It does... not... work. You can't time and predict the endless myriad of physiological mechanisms as play in vivo. You'll only end up, like MILLIONS of other amateur (AND professional) bodybuilders before you, explaining to your friends and family who came to see you compete how "Great you looked the week before!"

I'm not trying to convince you of this, or stating my opinion. It is fact. Period. Only trying to help you avoid these plaguing and laughably common downfalls of even the most educated bodybuilders.

ray357

Awards
Well guys, I found my show. It is the Gold Coast and Mari Redondo Classic in Miami, on May 7th. This is perfect because I leave for DC on May 12th. I am 15 weeks out. I am using a nutritionist, Jason Croce. He has a website, which is his name .com. He has assessed my LBM and broke down my macros to exact numbers. He also broke down how much of each macro is needed per meal. Having him on board has made life alot easier. All I do now is cook a boat load of food, pre weigh it, then break it all down into the right portions. I got the vacuum sealed ziplock bags, and I eat at 6, 9, 12, 3, 6, 9.

I have BCAAs before 5am cardio, and I alternate meals, solid, liquid, repeat.
I currently use Mitotropin for a fat burner. Many people don't like it, but I do. I have issues with anxiety so I don't use the "concentrated" fat burners with geranium stem.
I am currently using Superpump MAX for preworkout. I also use Transananyl (sp) Glutamine (TAG). I have vanadyl and chromium before every solid meal. I think that is it so far.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Very nice. Good stuff. I agree with a previous post. All I used was sea salt on my food, and didnt cut it out. I drank a lot of water Mon-Wed the last week. 1/2 gallon thursday, and enough to get food down friday while taking taraxatone, or dandelion and uva ursi, with potassium to prevent cramping. Good luck bro!!!!!

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Very nice. Good stuff. I agree with a previous post. All I used was sea salt on my food, and didnt cut it out. I drank a lot of water Mon-Wed the last week.
Exactly, and thanks by the way. If you're in shape, you're in shape... and if not, well, no magical wizardry is going to change that fact come Saturday morning.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
TRUE. I cant wait to do another show, even though the diet is Hell. I want it bad.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
OH man.... (shakes and lowers head)

Never, ever, manipulate sodium and water. It does... not... work. You can't time and predict the endless myriad of physiological mechanisms as play in vivo. You'll only end up, like MILLIONS of other amateur (AND professional) bodybuilders before you, explaining to your friends and family who came to see you compete how "Great you looked the week before!"

I'm not trying to convince you of this, or stating my opinion. It is fact. Period. Only trying to help you avoid these plaguing and laughably common downfalls of even the most educated bodybuilders.
Well.....I SUCCEEDED with this and watched myself get more and more vascular and striated up to the day of my show, so I will stick with what works(for me).

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Well.....I SUCCEEDED with this and watched myself get more and more vascular and striated up to the day of my show, so I will stick with what works(for me).
I've never once seen this work without drug and diuretic intervention - ever. I won't belabor the topic by going on and on about the fact I've observed countless athletes as well as been behind the scenes regarding professionals practices at the Mr. Olympia for example, but suffice it to say if you truly were able to 'trick' your bodies mineral levels and pump action/reaction perfectly with the minuscule window of opportunity as you step on stage in front of the judges without sacrificing muscle fullness and pump, then I'm impressed!

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
TRUE. I cant wait to do another show, even though the diet is Hell. I want it bad.
Ha, isn't this weird? Every year I compete, I tell myself "No WAY will I ever do this again for some applause and a plastic trophy!" But then, the bug bites me again! ;)

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
My abs popped pretty good with no drug intervention. I did a pre contest cycle, but no injectables, and nothing purchased illegally. I am us navy. I only used natural diuretics, like dandelion and uva ursi, etc.

I have not won a trophy yet in body building. Only powerlifting and strongman. Nothing really big though. I still love it, and wont quit.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
I've never once seen this work without drug and diuretic intervention - ever. I won't belabor the topic by going on and on about the fact I've observed countless athletes as well as been behind the scenes regarding professionals practices at the Mr. Olympia for example, but suffice it to say if you truly were able to 'trick' your bodies mineral levels and pump action/reaction perfectly with the minuscule window of opportunity as you step on stage in front of the judges without sacrificing muscle fullness and pump, then I'm impressed!
Well I didn't win it, I got 2nd out of 11 at a national qualifier but still very good none the less. I was for sure pumped and full, but I DID find out how VERY fast my body gets flat if i'm not consuming sugars every few minutes haha. Keeping that pump was quite difficult due to schedule changes. I was afraid of spilling over, and also afraid of flattening out at the same time. I also did use aldactone(which i had a script for from a while back.) I know that helped a lot.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
Ha, isn't this weird? Every year I compete, I tell myself "No WAY will I ever do this again for some applause and a plastic trophy!" But then, the bug bites me again! ;)
Man, I feel amazing on stage having people applauding and cheering for you and they don't even know you. I'm trying my hardest to qualify for nationals this time around, and THAT would for sure make it all worth while. My trophy was metal, so maybe that helps? lol i dunno. Even without qualifying, it's still such a fun experience and the total body transformation is amazing. I dunno how anyone could not like it. Yes, dieting so strictly does suck, but still...

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Still, its amazing to see yourself transform, and see what your hard work has created. I may have Branch warren help me next time, if I can afford it. Well see.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Yes, dieting so strictly does suck, but still...
Therein you have pointed out the innate problem with bodybuilding. We don't mind the hard work, the sweat drenched toils, the multiple meals a day, the constant cooking, even the incessant cardio....... but the FOOD, the taste bud embargo we endure is what pushes our brains into the outer limits of sanity.

JayDee6

JayDee6

Awards
Therein you have pointed out the innate problem with bodybuilding. We don't mind the hard work, the sweat drenched toils, the multiple meals a day, the constant cooking, even the incessant cardio....... but the FOOD, the taste bud embargo we endure is what pushes our brains into the outer limits of sanity.
LOL, exactly. One can only eat plain canned tuna or plain chicken breast for only so long before losing one's mind :)

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Nasser El Sonbaty and I were discussing this. He said Dieting is hell on earth.

Nuff said, but I still love it.