Cardio/protein during depletion

U

uvawahoowa

Awards
Should cardio be kept constant/decreased/increased during depletion days? I do LISS, for reference.

Also, during depletion days, can/should protein/fat be increased to account for the calories decreased from carbs?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I would say increased so you really target the glycogen stores , HIIT depletes them real nice , but its easier to go with just High intensity cardio. Yes theres nothing wrong with getting higher protein and fats to make up for the calories from carbs.

burlyman

burlyman

Awards
I'd keep your cardio constant and just change the dietary variable. As mentioned above, HIIT does a great job of glycogen depletion. So does high volume resistance training. On the dietary side...personally, I'd bump the protein up a little while depleting carbs, but still keep calories at or below the level you were prior to the depletion.

S

sistersteel

Awards
I completely agree with Burlyman. I run a carb cycle with every competition I do, when you deplete glycogen by removing carbs, add protein and fats to replace the missing calories. You want to spare as much muscle loss as possible. (Plus, no carbs = no energy) add some fats to get that energy back :)