Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 7 of 111 First ... 25678912 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Fu ckin hell. Thailand sounds about as safe as Tijuana. I'm going to Canada for vacation. I'm sure urijah sweet talked some women into smuggling him out of Thailand. "we would do anything for you mr. urijah" Probably had better success in the fight too -oh snap
    Urijah did do better, he was never knocked unconscious and from his account, he was fending off a mob of drunk Thai's as well.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Urijah did do better, he was never knocked unconscious and from his account, he was fending off a mob of drunk Thai's as well.
    You know in my home town of Sacramento....he's a bigger star than the whole Sacramento Kings. My friend's dad doesn't know who Chuck Liddell is...but he knows Faber.

Of course nobody likes the Kings so thats not sayin much lol
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.

sounds familiar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8XKeN0zk4
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarce View Post
    Lol. Van Dam found any reason at all to do those splits in his movies.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

You know in my home town of Sacramento....he's a bigger star than the whole Sacramento Kings. My friend's dad doesn't know who Chuck Liddell is...but he knows Faber.

Of course nobody likes the Kings so thats not sayin much lol
    Is he really THAT big?!
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Is he really THAT big?!
    *PUN* lol

Yeah I've no idea why...but you watched the old WEC's when he'd come out when they were at the Arco Arena (against Jens?) People are nuts for Faber. I mean I'm a huge fan, but people that shouldn't even know MMA, know Faber. Plus I think he has a better winning record than the Kings. We gotta get the W somewhere.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarce View Post
    Dennis Chan is no Mr. Tanaka, but fantastic movie none the less.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 144 Fight Card: Edgar vs. Henderson

The UFC is finally returning to the Land of the Rising Sun. After an eleven year absence from Japan, they will re-emerge on the scene with UFC 144 on February 25th in the Saitama Super Arena. The main event will see Frankie Edgar defend his UFC lightweight title against former WEC lightweight champ Ben Henderson. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will look to return to the win column when he faces TUF 8 winner Ryan Bader.

Along with that, there will be a plethora of fights featuring the best Japanese fighters in the UFC. Yoshihiro Akiyama will make his welterweight debut against Jake Shields, Hatsu Hioki will continue his march to a featherweight title shot when he takes on Bart Palaszewski, and much more. Here's the card as it stands right now (prelims after the jump):

Feb 25th, live on pay-per-view from Saitama, Japan:
    Main Card:
    Frankie Edgar (14-1) vs. Ben Henderson (15-2) [LW Title]

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-9) vs. Ryan Bader (13-2)

Cheick Kongo (17-6-2) vs. Mark Hunt (7-7)

Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-4, 2 NC) vs. Jake Shields (26-6-1)

Joe Lauzon (21-6) vs. Anthony Pettis (14-2)

More SBN coverage of UFC 144

Preliminary Card:
    Tim Boetsch (14-4) vs. Yushin Okami (26-6)

Hatsu Hioki (25-4-2) vs. Bart Palaszewski (36-14)

Takeya Mizugaki (15-6-2) vs. Chris Cariaso (12-3)

Vaughan Lee (11-7-1) vs. Norifumi Yamamoto (18-5, 1 NC)

Steve Cantwell (7-5) vs. Riki Fukuda (17-5)

Takanori Gomi (32-8, 1 NC) vs. George Sotiropoulos (14-4)

Leonard Garcia (15-8-1) vs. Tiequan Zhang (15-2)

NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Dana White would like to see Anderson Silva finish career vs. GSP or Jon Jones

Dana White has plans for just about everybody under Zuffa’s umbrella including UFC middleweight king Anderson Silva.At the present time those plans call for “The Spider” to rest up from a shoulder injury and face the winner of Chael Sonnen-Mark Munoz in 2012. After that, however, it may all be up to Silva.

White, though, wouldn’t mind seeing the 36-year-old Brazilian finish up his career after a few more fights, including a finale bout with either UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre or light heavyweight title-holder Jon Jones.

“He’s probably the greatest fighter in history. He hasn’t lost and has been champion since 2006. I think he has two more title defenses and I do not know what he’ll do next or if he will retire,” said White, in an interview with Brazilian website Alpha. “He could end his career with a super fight against Jon Jones or Georges St. Pierre. He could end his career like that – fight in a different weight class. I would be happy with that. Then he could take a boat and sail into the sunset.”

For Silva, the thrill of fighting seems to continue to drive him. While his body winds down, though, his skill set has not; Silva earned impressive victories over Vitor Belfort and Yushin Okami with relative ease this year.
    NSCA - CSCS
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Frank Mir excited about the possibility of Strikeforce’s heavyweights coming to UFC

Former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir has heard about all the great heavyweights outside of the UFC for years now. Thanks to the addition of Strikeforce under the Zuffa banner, and the decision to include Strikeforce’s heavyweight division in the UFC in 2012, Mir will no longer have to dream about becoming the best in the world.
    Mir, who recently defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the second time in his career, is excited about seeing the likes of Josh Barnett, Daniel Cormier, and Fabricio Werdum inside the Octagon.

“I think it’s only a benefit to move them over to us. I guess I have a bad taste in my mouth because of what happened when I first started my career. I had to always hear about, ‘Oh, you guys are good, but the PRIDE guys would kick your butt.’ And then that frustration of not being able to get to them,” said Mir, in an interview with ESPN’s MMA Insiders radio station. “I don’t want to hear that (who’s the best discussion anymore). I want to know that anybody in the division…’you think that you can beat me? Hey, Joe Silva, is he clear? Okay, cool, let’s fight.”
    Mir has held both undisputed and interim championships. The Las Vegas native has won three straight fights since a loss to Shane Carwin back in 2010 including his “Submission of the Year” finish of “Minotauro” at UFC 140.
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Nate Diaz says he is better than Donald Cerrone on every level

When Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone meet in the co-main event of UFC 141 next Friday night fans should expect nothing but fireworks after fireworks after fireworks followed by, you guessed it – fireworks.
    Diaz, who has won just two of his last four fights, will be trying to slow down the freight-train that is the “Cowboy.” Cerrone is on a current six-fight win streak that includes three submission wins and a TKO.
    As far as Diaz, a student under Cesar Gracie who trains with his talented brother, Nick Diaz, and former champion Jake Shields, none of that matters.

“I feel like I’m better than all the guys in my division (155 pounds),” said the younger Diaz in a UFC interview promoting the upcoming event. “He is definitely a guy that likes to fight, but I think I’m better than him everywhere, honestly.”
    Diaz has been involved in four “Fight of the Nights” during his time in the UFC, while Cerrone has one under the UFC banner and five while competing in the WEC. Diaz won his last bout over Takanori Gomi in his return to lightweight after competing as a welterweight for several years.

The main event of UFC 141 will feature Alistair Overeem and Brock Lesnar in a five-round war to become the #1 contender in the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

Watch Diaz/Cerrone talk about their bout in the UFC 141 Preview starting about six minutes into the video:
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Very nice night of fights!

For the first time in forever I won't be working during a UFC fight, can't wait to watch this next one, on a FRIDAY, WOOT WOOT!
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

"Bigfoot" Silva and the UFC

With consecutive wins over Fedor Emelianenko, Mike Kyle and Andrei Arlovski, former EliteXC champ Antonio Silva (16-3 MMA, 3-2 SF)
    looked well on his way to establishing himself as one of MMA's top heavyweights.

Then he ran into Daniel Cormier, who booted Silva out of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix with a surprising first-round knockout.

As it turns out, the loss provided Silva with a valuable lesson he promises to carry with him for the remainder of his career – a career that looks as if may now play out in the UFC.

"Cormier is a good person and a great fighter, but he should have also payed the lotto that day," the Brazilian recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The first punch he landed took me out, and I was unable to fight after it.

"I am from Paraiba, and we always come to fight and let it all hang out. But I learned a lesson: We should not fight for the money but for the love of fighting. After AlistairOvereem dropped out of the tournament, I wanted out of the grand prix, as well, but I continued for the money and God punished me. Money should never be the priority."

Silva's financial strains are perhaps understandable when you consider he spends thousands of dollars each month on life-saving medicine to treat acromegaly, a condition that causes Silva's body to produce excess growth hormone. Nevertheless, the 6-foot-4 American Top Team product insists the loss has changed his perspective.

A nagging shoulder injury has been addressed, and Silva is itching to get back into the cage and prove his worth.

"I had my shoulder operated on Nov. 22, and I am already 80 percent healed," Silva said. "My physical therapist says I am a mutant because of the speed of my recovery. My focus has been to stay in as good of shape as possible to make my recovery faster, and it worked."

But in exactly which cage Silva will step remains to be seen. UFC president Dana White recently revealed Strikeforce will host just two more heavyweight contests before disbanding the division. It's easy to assume that the UFC will absorb many of Strikeforce's top big men, but Silva says he's currently in the dark in regards to his future.

"I really want to fight in the best event in the world – where the best fighters are," Silva said. "It will be awesome if the Strikeforce heavyweights make it over to the UFC. There are many great fights to be made.

"It does not always depend on me, but the day the invitation comes, you may be certain that I will be ready to honor it and give it my best. When I receive the call form the UFC, I will fight who ever Joe Silva wants me to fight."

In the meantime, Silva is back in the gym and has resumed some light training while continuing to rehab his shoulder. The loss to Cormier was certainly shocking, but the 32-year-old Brazilian insists it was simply a brief setback and not an indicator of what's to come – hopefully in theoctagon.

"I thank everyone for the appreciation, even when I lost," Silva said. "I am thankful for the great training I have at Team Nogueira in Brazil, and the training I get in Florida with the Blackzilians, who are always helping me.

"I will come back with a great will to win and will continue to achieve important victories."
    NSCA - CSCS
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Villain or no villain? Greg Jackson says Jon Jones has little control of what the fan

Greg Jackson tried to teach Jon Jones a lesson at UFC 140 following his win over Lyoto Machida. He told Jones to tend to the fallen Machida and "go get some fans." Clearly, Jackson misspoke and the intended lesson was lost on most.
    "You get to this post adrenaline dump after the fight. Jon did that too," Jackson said of Jones' decision to stoically walk away from the sleeping Machida. "As a coach, I wanted to bring him out of that and make sure that he followed ring decorum. I think it's really important to be a role model for the fans."

Jones' ultimate image is still unknown. A very good guy away from the cage, Jones heard more than a few boos in Toronto. Jackson told ESPN1100/98.9 FM that he doesn't know why Jones was getting it from the boo birds.

"It's for the fans' entertainment. If they want to boo him ... it's like WWE. Then they're going to love him again ... then they're going to hate him again. As long as everybody's having a good time. It is what it is," said Jackson. "For me, I just want him to stay positive, make sure that he can the best role model he can be and then the fans will decide what they want to decide."
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Alistair Overeem passes drug test - cleared for UFC 141.

Next week's UFC 141 main event will remain intact.

After issues with a recent Nevada State Athletic Commission-mandated drug test, Alistair Overeem (35-11 MMA, 0-0 UFC) finally has taken and passed a test and been cleared to compete against Brock Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC).

UFC president Dana White first hinted at the news today via Twitter, and an official later confirmed the passed test with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"Overeem is ready to go!!!" White tweeted. "Lesnar vs Overeem is on!"

"UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem" takes place next Friday, Dec. 29, at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view, and prelims air on Spike TV and stream on Facebook.

The five-round non-title fight, which will determine a No. 1 contender in the UFC's heavyweightdivision, was thrown into doubt this past week when Overeem missed an out-of-competition test the commission ordered him to undergo on Nov. 17. As it turned out, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer notified Overeem of the test the same day the fighter flew to Holland to attend to his mother, who is dealing with a possible cancer relapse.

As part of a conditional license that was issued on Dec. 12, Overeem was required to fly to London on Dec. 13 for a drug test at at a facility affiliated with Quest Diagnostics, which the NSAC often uses for drug tests conducted in Nevada. The results came back clean today.

In addition to two pre-fight tests for performance-enhancers, Overeem will be tested on fight night for performance-enhancers and drugs of abuse (per NSAC guidelines). Additionally, as part of the conditional license, he'll also be subject to two random tests taken at his expense within six months after the fight.

Upon initially hearing of the out-of-competition test requested by the NSAC, Overeem took a steroid test administered by his personal doctor on Nov. 23, which came back clean. However, it was a blood test, and the commission requires a urine test. Two weeks later, he submitted urine to his doctor that was shipped to a lab in Germany.

A commission meeting held this past week in Las Vegas made clear the circumstances of Overeem's case were unfamiliar territory for the NSAC, which reinstated out-of-competition testing in July after budgetary issues forced it to shut down the program this past year. nevertheless, Kizer said future cases will be handled on a case-by-case basis and speculated that major changes to the commission's policies regarding out-of-competition testing are unlikely beyond formalizing the notification of tests.

Although he's never failed a drug test, Overeem has been a frequent source of speculation. He spent much of his career in Japan, where little if any testing was done. However, he's competed in the U.S. for the past two years (first with Strikeforce and now with the UFC), and all of his tests have come back clean.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Floyd Mayweather Sentenced To 90 Days In Jail

WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has pled guilty on a domestic violence charge and has been sentenced to serve 90 days in jail according to Yahoo boxing writer Kevin Iole on Twitter:

@KevinI
    Kevin Iole Judge sentences Floyd Mayweather Jr. to 90 days in jail after guilty plea to domestic violence charge. #boxing
    Dec 21 via webFavoriteRetweetReply

@KevinI
    Kevin Iole In addition to 90 days in jail, Mayweather must pay $2500 fine, 100 hours of community service and enroll in domestic violence counseling

@KevinI
    Kevin Iole Should be noted that Mayweather will get credit for three days served, so he serves 87 days beginning on Jan. 6, 2012

Bad Left Hook has all the background on the plea deal:
    Floyd Mayweather Jr will be getting rid of a lot of his legal woes by pleading guilty to reduced charges on several misdemeanors on Wednesday, which knocks down one of the repeated concerns about Mayweather fight Manny Pacquiao on May 5, if indeed each side is really serious about making the fight happen.
    Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has been fond of bringing up Mayweather's impending court cases when giving reasons why Floyd and Manny Pacquiao didn't fight in 2011 and maybe can't in 2012, so this ends that whole thing. Arum knew better, of course -- it was just an excuse, something to say, and a way to point out that Mayweather had a lot of legal trouble on his plate. At no point did Arum likely believe Floyd Mayweather was going to serve jail time or anything of the sort; Mayweather fought Victor Ortiz on September 17 with all of this hanging over his head, and he wasn't going to miss a May 5 date either.
    Note that BLH was writing before the 90 day sentence was announced. It's hard for me to see how Mayweather spends January, February and March in jail and still has time to train for a May bout with Manny Pacquiao.

The Washington Post has more:
    The plea deal avoids trial on felony allegations that he hit his ex-girlfriend and threatened two of their children during an argument at her home in September 2010.
    Prosecutor Lisa Luzaich told the judge Mayweather has been in trouble before and hasn't been punished.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Bloody Elbow Book Review: Marcelo Garcia 'Advanced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Techniques'

When is an instructional book for a highly physical activity worth your money? Pretty pictures and legendary names are nice, but we need to know that there is tons of actual content to sink our mental teeth into before cracking open our wallets for that hard-earned money. Rest assured that Marcelo Garcia, one of the most dominant figures in Brazilian jiu jitsu since the early 2000s, has delivered a massive dose of grappling brain candy in his most recent book, Advanced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Techniques.

Marcelo is a five time Mundials champion, four time ADCC gold medalist and perhaps one of the three or four most dominant figures ever in elite submission grappling competition. Many highlight clips show Marcelo's preferred strategy of constant offense, single leg takedowns, slick guillotines and tight back control. His 2010 and 2011 competition seasons ended with zero defeats and his opponents rarely scoring any points on him.

To get good at submission grappling requires an enormous bit of time on the mats in both drilling and live sparring situations. Drilling moves over and over under the watchful eyes of an instructor allows the grappler to embed the movements and timing into the lizard brain and and to get accustomed to doing this in that situation. Sparring gives us the opportunity to encounter live situations in which we progress through a series of actions and reactions until time is called. Often the live rolls end in submission or with one person having been in a dominant position for longer.

The body can be trained through hours and hours of mat time, instruction and physical training outside of the gym. However, it is the mind that is more important than the body. We need to see and recognize situations and tell our bodies to act accordingly. That is where videos, DVDs and books claim to help us improve. Ideally, a grappler wants to attack in a way that opens up a ton of options.
    A couple of photos for evaluation:

This book is 320+ pages long, which is slightly smaller than the classic Jiu Jitsu University, which is 360+ pages in size. The biggest Advanced Techniques sections are on arm drags, back control, breaking guard and submissions. Back control, one of the highlights of his game, is covered in 68 pages. Breaking guard, perhaps the skill most in demand on the competition circuit, is covered in 63 pages. The 67 page long submissions section skips the usual armbars, triangles and leglocks. A separate 26 page section is devoted entirely to submissions from back control. Arm drags, one of Marcelo's staples, get 44 pages at the beginning of the book.
    The breakdown of techniques follows the same exact format that Victory belt uses for all instructional manuals. There are multiple camera angles so the reader can get a feel for the body's placement instead of making an assumption. The book does focus on the gi but many of the techniques can easily translate to no-gi grappling scenarios.
    Possibly the best thing about this book is that they understand that grappling matches begin standing. The 44 pages at the front of the book devoted to arm drags and single legs is a step away from the norm with Victory Belt. Other books they've published have just illustrated ground techniques without any discussion on how to get the fight there. It's a great change that hopefully continues in future books.
    As far as the title, personal perspective is that nothing about this book really screams "advanced" in that everything showcased can be used by a competitor of any level. While some are more difficult than others, Garcia's grappling style is simple enough that there isn't a need to have certain physical traits such as when using the rubber guard.

PROS

- The biggest pro for myself and Ben is that the book really does cover everything. There's no wasted space and no matter what kind of jiu jitsu player you are, you'll find something in this that will help elevate your game.
    - The multiple camera angles help with illustrating the different sequences.
    - The amount of techniques actually discussed. As previously stated, the fact that the book shows different arm drags is a HUGE plus. The sheer volume of pages dedicated to certain aspects of Garcia's game make this book a grappler's bible.

CONS

- The biggest con for me is that the gi often blocks the camera from showing how the arms and hands are placed on an opponent. I understand that Garcia is a fantastic gi player but I just don't think the gi translates well for photographs.
    - Adding to that, sometimes the sequences are too understated which sometimes means various steps often look the same.
    I'd recommend this book, especially if you are serious about getting serious in jiu jitsu. There's something in it for everyone and it will help round out your jiu jitsu game.

PRICE: $34.99

Matthew Roth received a free review copy. It did not change his perspective. Ben Thapa paid for his copy. That did not change his perspective either.
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Jason Miller: “Dana White was right.”

It didn’t take long for critics to voice their opinions after Jason “Mayhem” Miller fell miserably short against Michael Bisping earlier this month at the Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale. While many of Miller’s detractors were of the anonymous internet or media variety, the biggest in the bunch was none other than his boss – UFC President Dana White.
    White’s assessment of the 30-year old’s showing against Bisping was harsh to say the least, labeling Miller with possessing the worst stand-up he’d ever seen and calling it an incredibly “lopsided” bout.

While some fighters might get defensive about White’s comments or make excuses for a lackluster display it appears Miller actually agrees
    with his employer’s take, writing about it recently on his blog.

“I am very disappointed about (the loss), but have used the past couple weeks to reflect on everything and have come to some conclusions,” Miller began before frankly stating, “Dana White was right. He made some disparaging comments about my performance, and I agree with him. I displayed the worst of everything that night in the Octagon. I was tense in round one and I locked up after that. I didn’t perform to my potential, and I take full responsibility for it. That wasn’t a UFC caliber performance, and I’m not happy about it”

Miller continued on to urge his fans to live and learn, talking about his own journey thus far in both MMA and the bigger picture.

“I made a lot of mistakes in this story – during the camp, during the fight- but the key to living life is learning from your mistakes and making positive change. I feel very positive right now, and I hope you feel the same way, I would be absolutely nothing without persistence and positive thinking…”

The colorful competitor didn’t elaborate on when he expected to fight again, only explaining he was in Holland training with Golden Glory (renowned for their striking as coincidence would have it). Miller’s loss to Bisping dropped his record to 23-8 and 2-2 in his last four fights with an additional defeat to Jake Shields and victories over Tim Stout/Kazushi Sakuraba.
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC 141: Brock Lesnar at Full Potential for First Time According to Coach

For all the flack he may take for being an "alpha male" almost to a fault, that part of Brock Lesnar's personality is just as responsible for his competitive drive as it is for that gruff persona. That drive is what has Lesnar still looking to compete in the UFC despite a beating in his last fight and multiple times being sidelined with complications due to diverticulitis.

According to coach Rodrigo "Comprido" Medeiros, fans should not expect to see a faded, damaged Lesnar in the Octagon on December 30 (via Graciemag):

"Brock is in great shape. Undergoing surgery was the best decision he could have made. I believe we'll be seeing Brock at full potential for the first time," Comprido told reporter Nalty Junior. "I'm truly excited about this fight. They're two giants, two monsters on a collision course-I don't think I've ever seen two guys as big and skillful as they are. If Alistair isn't 100%, he'd best not show up, because Brock is super well prepared; I guarantee it," added Comprido.

It's hard to say exactly what to expect in the end. Preparation is important but much of what Lesnar faces is beyond simply preparing. His body and mind have taken some damage over the past year and we won't know for sure until UFC 141 and his bout with Alistair Overeem to know if he truly is "back."
    NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Ultimate Submissions: Brock Lesnar's takedown vs Alistair Overeem's guillotine

In each and every sport there is a discussion between the effectiveness of a stampeding offense versus an impenetrable defense. The old cliché is "unstoppable force meets the immovable object."

In just over a week, on Dec. 30, 2011, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will host a larger than life main event for UFC 141 when massive heavyweights Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem collide in what will be one of the most anticipated match-ups of the year.

Lesnar will bring with him his NCAA Division I wrestling background. With the explosion behind his 265-pound frame it is hard to stop a man of that size with just agility and technique. Lesnar has always been attributed to having freakish athleticism and deceptive speed and versatility.
    With a record of 5-2, Lesnar has consistently fought top fighters but it still relatively young in the sport.

His opponent, Alistair Overeem, will be making his Octagon debut under the UFC banner. At 35-11, "The Reem" is no stranger to competition as he has fought from the light heavyweight division all the way to heavyweight since he started his career as a nineteen year old in 1999. With a primarily kickboxing style, this fight has so many possibilities.
    For more on the breakdown follow me into the extended entry.

500+ pounds of professional fighter will occupy the Octagon in the main event of UFC 141. Not only is it one of the largest match-ups in terms of weight, but it may be one of the most important heavyweight bouts this year. Aside from the monumental title fight between now-champion Junior Dos Santos and the former, Cain Velasquez, this fight will be the most relevant to the division and sport.

Overeem is one of the biggest acquisitions for the UFC in recent years. In a year that saw the signing of Jake Shields and Nick Diaz, the potential that comes with Overeem could make him their most pivotal signing.

"Demolition Man" is a K-1 World Champion and has shown that he has the elite kickboxing skills to fight with success against the likes of Badr Hari, Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky and Tyrone Sprong. His clinch work has been amazing and his knees have been devastating. 12 of Overeem's victories have come from way of KO or TKO and especially in recent fights, he has shown how dangerous and powerful his striking is.

But let's not forget that Overeem is also a very accomplished grappler.

With a perfect 3-0 record for the ADCC tournament in which Overeem swept the field in 2005's European trials, he has long ago showed he w
    as very versatile. Overeem has submitted 17 of his opponents in mixed martial arts. His "go-to" maneuver has long been a guillotine choke.

He finished all three ADCC trial matches with the choke as well as eight total victories in MMA coming via the submission.
    The choke itself goes hand in hand when fighting a wrestler. In my breakdown of the Guillotine Choke, I detailed that sentiment:
    The guillotine choke has long been a death sentence for wrestlers that would shoot in on a submission specialist. It is one of the most common chokes since it's possible to grab the choke from about any position you find yourself in during a mixed martial arts fight.

The guillotine is a choke favorable against wrestlers because it punishes your opponent if they shoot in for a takedown with their head down. While there are other ways to complete the choke, this is often the most common. The most basic way to describe the choke is when you reach around your opponent's neck when it is in range, grasp the choking side hand with the free hand and lift up.

You can complete the choke from a number of positions including the mount, full guard, the sprawl position and even standing up. The choke itself can actually be either a blood choke or an air choke depending on how you are placed onto your opponent's neck. If your forearm pressure is putting force into the wind pipes it will be an air choke and if it is placed more on the arteries you have a blood choke.

Regardless, the guillotine will usually force your opponent quickly into unconsciousness if s/he doesn't tap.
    Opposing the well rounded Overeem will be the wrestling based Brock Lesnar. With Lesnar being still so young to the sport it is almost inevitable to imagine that he will once again fall back to his roots and attempt to put Overeem on his back where Lesnar can attempt to get great position and unleash some ground and pound.

Lesnar has been able to land 12 of 17 takedown attempts.

In each of his seven professional fights he has been able to get his opponent to the ground. With an accomplished striker like Overeem staring at him from across the cage, it is a safe bet to assume Lesnar has not polished his striking game enough to abandon his bread and butter.
    But what happens when Lesnar shoots in for that inevitable takedown?

Overeem will be able to counter Lesnar's takedowns with a sprawl and brawl mentality. Looking to keep the fight standing with a strong sprawl will do a lot for how the fight ends up in its conclusion.

A sprawl in technical terms is when the fighter scoots his legs backwards and comes down heavy on the upper back and neck of the fighter shooting in for a takedown. Most often, the "sprawler" arches his back as much as possible and attempts to keep the leverage by staying on his toes.

So many options come from this position that range from submissions to landing strikes to even grabbing the opponents ankle in attempt to transition to the back mount. In this scenario I believe Overeem will be looking for a choke.

In a breakdown from the UFC on Versus 5, two fighters were able to secure guillotine choke victories from the sprawl position. The two victories came when the winning fighters were able to utilize a sprawl to latch under for a choke.

Overeem will have a very big factor to use towards his advantage. While Lesnar is a very strong, freak athlete, when being sprawled he will lose leverage. Overeem added with the leverage is already a considerably strong fighter. His tossing of Brett Rogers and back-to-back standing guillotine choke victories visibly displays that to be true.

Overeem, a 250-pound athlete, will be on top of the neck of Lesnar with a knack for finishing guillotine chokes -- and with very powerful upper body strength, the guillotine choke comes a bit more easy. As Urijah Faber displayed in his guillotine choke performances throughout his career, having the ability to torque on this submission with tremendous power makes the hold instantaneously dangerous.

While Lesnar has evolved in the grappling game since his debut in the UFC, Overeem's striking may actually play a factor in a possible submission as well. We have seen Lesnar react poorly in the past to big strikes sustained on the feet and with Overeem's striking acumen it wouldn't be a shock to see punches or knees badly hurt Lesnar.

While rocked, it is common for the rattled fighter to lazily shoot in for a takedown or drop to the ground with the neck exposed. The best example of this would be the Frank Mir choke on a hurt Cheick Kongo. If Overeem is able to stifle the wrestling of Lesnar and land significant damage, then Overeem will have the ability to "leave no room" for Lesnar to escape.

Jiu-Jitsu is always an equalizer in this sport, regardless of the size of an opponent.

What do you think Maniacs? When the evitable takedown comes from Lesnar, will a guillotine choke be a game changer?
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Leonard Garcia says Girl St. Pierre is scared of heights (Video)

NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Alistair Overeem Recruits Wrestling Standout Jared Rosholt

AlistairOvereem
    refused to talk about who he has brought in to help him train for Brock Lesnar on yesterday's episode of The MMA Hour, but apparently he doesn't mind if his training partners let the cat out of the bag.

Jared Rosholt, the winningest heavyweight in the storied history of Oklahoma State University wrestling, tweeted a picture of himself and Overeem Monday morning, confirming that the three-time All-American was one of the big wrestlers "The Reem" flew to Holland to help him prepare for Lesnar.

Rosholt, the younger brother of former UFC middleweight Jake Rosholt, has made a successful transition to MMA, thus far. The 25-year-old debuted in February and since then has gone 4-0, finishing all of his opponents in either the first or second round. Rosholt finished his
    collegiate career in 2010 with an overall record of 125-27.

Overeem recently had to move his camp from Las Vegas back to Holland to take care of his cancer-stricken mother. This is his first fight since severing ties with his long-time team at Golden Glory.

UFC 141, headlined by Overeem vs. Lesnar, airs live on pay-per-view on Friday, Dec. 30.

NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

What do you think Maniacs? When the evitable takedown comes from Lesnar, will a guillotine choke be a game changer?
    I know its silly to compare fighters in the fashion I'm about to use, but for the sake of being silly, I would think Mir would be a higher level submission artist and still couldn't catch Brock. The difference though in this fight like stated earlier is AO is top notch in striking which Mir is respectively not (or not to that degree). So unless Lesnar uses his speed early on in the fight he may be in serious danger IMO. Then again if AO looks slow and tentative like in his last fight he will be taken down and lose the small submission window before he is smothered.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I don't think Brock is even going to be able to take Alistar down, but can't wait to find out

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I don't think Brock is even going to be able to take Alistar down, but can't wait to find out
    I think Brock is going to have a much harder time taking Overeem down then people think, but I don't think Overeem will completely avoid it. I don't see Brock shooting in with a slick single or double leg with any success, but I do see Brock pressing Overeem against the cage and grinding out a scoop TD. That or it'll be a quick TKO of Brock, we'll see which versions of which fighter shows up.
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Im gonna be so upset if Brock charges at him like a bull and he gets KO'd by a knee lol

27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I know its silly to compare fighters in the fashion I'm about to use, but for the sake of being silly, I would think Mir would be a higher level submission artist and still couldn't catch Brock. The difference though in this fight like stated earlier is AO is top notch in striking which Mir is respectively not (or not to that degree). So unless Lesnar uses his speed early on in the fight he may be in serious danger IMO. Then again if AO looks slow and tentative like in his last fight he will be taken down and lose the small submission window before he is smothered.
    I'm personally a huge fan of Overeem, but there are plenty of people who aren't Overeem Beliebers relative to how he would stack against UFC competition, in particular, the strong wrestlers, so I have no idea what to expect. Brock is without question my guy at HW, but I'm skeptical about his abilities to ever reach a point where he can beat a JDS or Cain, so I'm okay with him being a top guy, but not THEE top guy. For me, Overeem still has an X-factor because he's still UFC untested at HW, so for him, I'm hopeful he could become THEE top guy. I'm not sure who to root for in this fight.
    NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Im gonna be so upset if Brock charges at him like a bull and he gets KO'd by a knee lol
    I'd hate for it to be a Cain/JDS repeat.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I'm personally a huge fan of Overeem, but there are plenty of people who aren't Overeem Beliebers relative to how he would stack against UFC competition, in particular, the strong wrestlers, so I have no idea what to expect. Brock is without question my guy at HW, but I'm skeptical about his abilities to ever reach a point where he can beat a JDS or Cain, so I'm okay with him being a top guy, but not THEE top guy. For me, Overeem still has an X-factor because he's still UFC untested at HW, so for him, I'm hopeful he could become THEE top guy. I'm not sure who to root for in this fight.
    If brock is as healthy as he claims to be and AO finishes him decisively we'll know he can carry his own in the division. Lucky for us we'll know right from the first fight. I still think they should had given him a Check or Gonzaga for his first. This fight is straight up sink or swim.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Bro if you're right then this fight will be epic! Unless its because of Brock 's gingivitis acting up again
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

2012 World MMA Bantamweight Scouting Report: #2 - Aljamain Sterling

Chiming in at #2 on the 2012 World MMA Bantamweight Scouting Report, Ring of Combat bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling (5-0) claims his spot on our countdown. The 22-year-old two-time NCAA Division III All-American wrestler has recorded five straight wins since turning pro in April, beating fellow 2012 Scouting Report rankee Claudio Ledesma (5-2) in June to obtain the Ring of Combat crown. After a TKO win over Evan Chmielski at CFFC 10 in July, Sterling won the CFFC bantamweight strap three months later, beating heralded wrestler Sean Santella (8-3-1) over five rounds at CFFC 11.

Don't be fooled by the perception that NCAA Division III credentials mean little when stacked up against NCAA Division I champions like UFC veterans Phil Davis and Josh Koscheck. That may be true on the wrestling mat, but the goal for amateur wrestlers turned mixed martial artists is to transition those skills to the cage successfully. Sterling has done that, utilizing an explosive takedown game that has enabled him to beat some of the best young prospects in the Northeast region.

Surprisingly, Sterling has amassed an undefeated professional record despite needing to improve in the technical areas of both his stand-up and ground games. Specifically, he has problems settling into dominant positions on the ground, and he lacks the know-how to finish submissions. That could, however, be a testament to the tough competition he's faced so far in his career.

The upside, however, is that Sterling is only 22 years old, and he's one of the most athletic fighters on our countdown. He has a number of years before he settles into his prime, and he will undoubtedly learn a great deal as a member of Team Bombsquad, a camp that houses UFC veterans Pat Audinwood, Mike Massenzio, and Christian Morecraft along with Bellator's Rene Nazare and Kenny Foster.

As long as Sterling continues to work on his ground skills and striking, he has the youth and athleticism to beat anyone in the regional scene while he hones his technique. Look for Sterling to get a chance in the big leagues soon, either at bantamweight or within the confines of the newly-formed flyweight division in the UFC.

Video footage of Aljamain Sterling after the jump. Also, view all of his Ring of Combat bouts at GFL.tv.

NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Explains Decision to Attempt Submission on Frank Mir

Many fans (myself included) were frustrated with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 140 or giving up an an almost sure TKO stoppage in an attempt to drop down and submit Frank Mir with a guillotine choke. It was clearly the moment that cost Nogueira the victory and now he has talked to Tatame to explain his thinking.
    From the article:

"Last Saturday I fought and lost via submission for the first time in my career, it was a bad feeling, but it's part of the sport. Everything that happens in a fight is quick and the fighter acts most based on his instincts and reflexes than on his mind. I knew I made a mistake as I tried to submit on a fight where I could have won by KO. But when Frank Mir was practically knocked out I heard the judge as me to stop punching him at the neck and that exactly when I tried to choke him. Mir put himself together and must be congratulated for submitting me. I checked the videos and I wasn't hitting him on the neck, but on Mir's side of the head, which is allowed"

It's an issue that fighters deal with often. Referees are watching and waiting to jump in if repeated blows to the back of the head are utilized but it's hard to finish an opponent at times when they bury their head between their arms and push their face into the mat as it leaves very little "legal area" to strike. This is a good reason why knees to the body need to become more popular in situations where your opponent is turtled and covering up as they open up the head.
    NSCA - CSCS
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC on FOX 2's Munoz: Cancel security detail, Sonnen won't be fighting in Brazil

Name:  mark-munoz-14.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  76.6 KB

It should have happened. It hasn't happened. It'll eventually happen.

The rematch between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen is fait accompli in the eyes of many fans and pundits, and Mark Munoz knows it.

But if he has anything to say about it, Brazil's public enemy No. 1 will never get the opportunity to travel south of the equator to fight Silva on his home turf, where a mid-2012 event is possible for his return.

Munoz (12-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) square off for the right to face Silva on Jan. 28 at Chicago's United Center as part of the three-fight, FOX-televised main card of UFC on FOX 2. A light-heavyweight tilt between Rashad Evans and Phil Davis, and middleweights Michael Bisping and Demian Maia round out the Jan. 28 broadcast.

"They don't need to have security around him (Sonnen) because he ain't going to Brazil," Munoz told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I kind of feel disrespected a little bit, but you know what? It is what it is, and it ain't going to happen."

Since joining the middleweight division, Munoz has won seven of eight fights, which included wins in each of his past four bouts. He's earned his way to a No. 1 contender match, so he's understandably frustrated with being labeled (in so many words) as a glorified stepping stone.

"People are going to say what they say," Munoz said. "I can't control their opinions, but I can control the attitude that I have within me. I'm just going to go out there and do what I do and fight Anderson in Rio (de Janeiro)."

Munoz and Sonnen are no strangers to the big stage. Both have headlined events before. Neither man, however, has competed on the kind of platform FOX offers. It's uncharted territory for anyone not named Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

"I think it's going to be a different vibe because I know there's going to be many more people watching," Munoz said. "But at the same time, it is the same. I'm going to go in there, and I'm going to do what I've trained for. And I can't look at it more than that because if I do, I (will) put too much pressure on myself."

"Network-television jitters" could become the new "octagon jitters."

Munoz has seen plenty of fighters walk into the cage for the first time in a much more muted atmosphere and still looking like a deer in headlights. He knows what that looks like.

"Guys freeze inside the octagon," Munoz said. "I don't ever want to do that. I'm just going to see Chael across the cage, and we're going to put on a good show."

Munoz believes his time logged in the cage to date, coupled with his experience wrestling for Oklahoma State University, have prepared him well for the brightest of bright spotlights.

"I feel like when I was in college every practice was geared toward a national championship," Munoz said. "At Oklahoma State, if you weren't a national champion, you weren't anything. It was a lot of pressure that was on me, and I had to deal with that."

During one "memorable" meet, Munoz said he had a run-in with a brash and talented University of Oregon wrestler, who during their match went for an illegal jiu-jitsu-style kneebar.

Munoz fought through it and had the last laugh by earning the victory.

The cheap shot's author?

You guessed it. None other than Chael P. Sonnen.

Despite the fact the incident was many years ago, Munoz still believes it's relevant today from a mental standpoint.

"It does give me an advantage there because, in wrestling, it's whoever can break whoever's will," Munoz said. "And I actually tried to do that because he tried to break my leg. In return, I tried to break his will. So he knows what I'm capable of, and I know MMA is different, but still. We're going at it."

Somehow, someway the two found a way to cross paths again.

This time around, Sonnen can attempt as many kneebars as he pleases as they'll have a much wider array of weapons at their disposal to use.

"There's a lot of different ways to be able to win the fight," Munoz said. "I know he's developed his MMA game, and I have too, so you're definitely going to see a fight that has to be watched because we're going to be slinging stuff all around like kicks, elbows, knees and everything."
    NSCA - CSCS
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

UFC Bound! An Honest Look At The Strikeforce Heavyweights

When Strikeforce and Showtime announced they had signed an extension that would effectively place the promotion on the premium channel until 2014, Scott Coker dropped a big chunk of news -- the Strikeforce heavyweight division would be killed following the Heavyweight Grand Prix. The reasoning is that there just isn't enough depth at the highest levels of the division and the heavyweights would be better suited in the UFC. With Chad Griggs and Fabricio Werdum announced as UFC bound, let's take an honest look at the Strikeforce heavyweight division and see how they'd fare in the UFC. All heavyweights will be taken from Strikeforce's official website.

Antonio Silva
    :
    Bigfoot is coming off one of the most tumultuous of his career. He picked up a humongous win over Fedor Emelianenko, where he brutalized the Russian on the ground forcing the doctor to stop the fight in between the second and third rounds. Silva is a black belt in both judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu so he has the grappling skills to be dangerous against anyone yet also has the physical traits to be a monster on the feet. He's only faced defeat three times in his career, two coming by way of TKO. Silva could be a force in the mid-tier of the division like Cheick Kongo. The loss to Daniel Cormier creates suspicion in his ability to defeat a speedy boxer.

Chad Griggs:
    "Griggs! You're getting too old for this stuff!" Chad Griggs may be the feel good story of 2010 and 2011 but at 33 and fighting on a regular basis for the first time since 2007, it may just be a case of it being too late for the muttonchopped mauler. His ability to take a punch should be commended as should his victory over Bobby Lashley, halting all talks that Lashley would be propelled to the top of the division. He's only suffered one loss in his career while in the IFL but his strength of schedule is terrible. His biggest win is over Gian Villante who was an undersized heavyweight and still hasn't developed as a light heavyweight. He'll fight the Rob Broughton's of the UFC but he'll never be a player in the heavyweight division.

Daniel Cormier:
    Along with Josh Barnett, DC may be the biggest pick up for the UFC out of this entire deal. Former Olympic team captain, undefeated as a heavyweight, and heavy hands all make Cormier an interesting piece in the restructuring. Cormier has legitimate "world class" wrestling and has been successful at the highest levels. He's a little undersized for a heavyweight but his speed and footwork allow him to stand with anyone in the cage. Following his win over Antonio Silva in the semi-finals of the Heavyweight Grand Prix, fans and media made comparisons to Fedor. Cormier's age may be an issue as will his unwillingness to face Cain Velasquez but he'll be an immediate contender in the UFC's HW division.

Josh Barnett:
    Josh's return to the UFC isn't guaranteed. Dana White has said time and time again that he'll never be in the Josh Barnett business ever again. For a while I was on this band wagon. It's not that I had anything wrong with Barnett as a fighter, I just hated his inability to accept responsibility for his own actions. He faces Daniel Cormier in March or April for the grand prix finals. He'll likely need to win to secure a UFC contract. If he does get past Cormier and is brought over he'll likely immediately challenge for the heavyweight strap. For all of his personal flaws, Barnett is still one of the best heavyweight's in the world. He'll be a huge asset to the division.
    More after the jump...

Lavar Johnson: Johnson has been announced as the opponent of Joey Beltran at UFC on Fox 2. He's a feel good story in his return to MMA after getting shot in the abdomen and chest. He's heavy handed but just isn't elite. He'll float around the mid-tier facing the Beltran's and Barry's and will likely become a .500 fighter in the UFC. I know that Buffer is a consumate professional but even he may break down and laugh when saying "Lavar 'BIIIIIIIIG' JOHNSON!!!"

Shane del Rosario
    :
    His return to the fight is unknown. This summer he was in a motorcycle accident and he suffered a herniated disk which forced him out of his fight with Daniel Cormier. Del Rosario is considered a top prospect at heavyweight as he's skilled no matter where the fight takes place. If/when he makes his return, he'll be a fighter to watch. Hopefully he hasn't lost too much of a step when that happens.

Sergei Kharitonov
    :
    Sergei is another mystery as there is uncertainty about his contract. After all the issues with Golden Glory went down this summer and the strained relationship between the UFC and the camp, Sergei just very well be out of a job. He looked absolutely atrocious against Josh Barnett this summer and even when he looks good, he still looks physically out of shape. He has solid boxing and footwork but will get stopped by better boxers and grapplers. I also don't see any intriguing fights for him in the UFC where I say "I HAVE TO SEE THIS FIGHT!" If he's brought over he's a nice addition to round out the division but he won't be a factor for the belt with so many younger and hungrier fighters all vying for the title.

Fabricio Werdum: Werdum, like Barnett, will also be making his return to the UFC. His fight with Alistair Overeem was abysmal but there is no arguing his skills on the ground. The words 'world class' get thrown around a lot in MMA but Werdum has world class BJJ. His inability to get a fight to his world is troubling, especially in the wrestler-rich heavyweight division. He'll add depth at the top and his inclusion will create interested match ups even if he never challenges for the UFC title. He's set to face Roy Nelson in his return.
    Final Thoughts: Outside of Cormier and Barnett, there just aren't any elite level heavyweights in Strikeforce. There are some interesting match ups ahead of Antonio Silva and he'll likely remain in the top 10 but he'll never really be a major factor. Shane del Rosario could be an interesting pick up if he's healthy and able to return. The rest of these fighters will help fill out the 224 preliminary fights they'll hold in 2012.
    NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Werdum vs. Nelson official: Brazilian promises fireworks

Fabricio Werdum is getting his second chance in the UFC, he plans on seizing the opportunity.
    The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt makes his return to the promotion next year. He's officially booked to face Roy Nelson at UFC 143 on Super Saturday in February.

Werdum said don't expect what you saw in his last fight against Alistair Overeem. He was sluggish that night. He explained to the inimitable Aaron Tru that because the fight got cancelled several times and put on hold, he was simply overtrained when it finally hit the cage.

Werdum was 2-2 in his last stint in the UFC from 2007-2008. His striking has gotten a lot better and he sounds like he gets it now. Simply going in and hunting for the submission won't get it done with the UFC. He promises this time to go for the knock out or get knocked out.
    That probably won't happen against Nelson, but what fans will see is a good battle between two of the best submission artists in the big boy division. No one saw Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira pulling off a sub in their fight, maybe we get shocked here too.

Werdum's exit in 2008 came after an upset loss against Junior dos Santos, who was making his UFC debut at the time. The promotion asked to renegotiate his deal. Camp Werdum got a little chirpy and next thing he knew, he was gone. Werdum jokes in the Tru video that he won't be talking too much this time around.
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I'm curious on who could lift more at the gym, Overeem or Lesnar lol, I bet Overeem can curl the damn 100's lol

37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Cerrone: Diaz Done F*cked With the Wrong Cowboy

During Steve Cofield’s Vegas-based ESPN Radio show today, Donald Cerrone recalled an incident he had recently with Nate Diaz, and to put it lightly, he isn’t impressed with the level of disrespect his UFC 141 opponent showed him.

According to Cerrone, the confrontation happened at the open workouts for UFC 137 and he had no warning that it was going to go south quickly when he approached his teammate and friend Leonard Garcia who happened to be talking to Nate at the time.
    Here’s what “Cowboy” says went down:

”Leonard’s my best friend; he’s my brother and he was over there talkin’ to the dude — if someone doesn’t like you, you’re not gonna talk to their best friend, you know what I’m sayin’…. you’re not gonna hang out with them — so Leonard’s over there talking with the dude, and I said, ‘Oh ****, I’ll go over there.’ They were laughing and joking around so when I go over and introduce myself and go, ‘What’s up Nate? I’m ‘Cowboy,’”
    Cerrone explained. “He ****in’ slapped my hand away and called me a punk-ass mother****er and told me to ‘get on.’ I was like, ‘****, alright.’ I don’t know what to say to the dude. I don’t know what his point… I guess he doesn’t want to be cordial. He just wanted to be a punk and… go ahead.”

He says that he was so taken aback by Diaz that he found himself at a loss for words at the time and that Diaz quickly exited the room after the incident happened, but points out that when they’re locked in the cage together December 30, there’s nowhere Nate can run.
    “I was getting ready to fight Dennis Siver and then he walked away. He just took off after that. It kind of caught me by surprise. I don’t know anything about the guy. I just know that [he and Nick] just wake up pissed off all the time for no reason. It just seems like they’re always mad. Whatever he does to get his mind ready for the fight, it must be it.”

As Cofield points out, Cerrone has used the experience as motivation to train hard for the fight and he affirmed it during the countdown show.
    “If you want to talk **** to me, you’re just gonna enrage me and piss me off,” said Cerrone. “So feed my ****ing flame. That’s what I say. Let’s go!”

As far as Nate’s older brother goes, Cerrone couldn’t resist taking a jab at Nick’s incoherent ramblings at the press conference following his fight with BJ Penn.

“I was exploding into laughter on some of the comments,” he said. “I was waiting for someone to take the mic away from him, like, ‘That’s enough before you completely ruin yourself. That’ll be enough out of you.’ I was just surprised he kept going on about compensation and no one knew what the **** he was talking about.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

New episode of "The Reem" is out

NSCA - CSCS
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Chael Sonnen Wants Jon Jones, JDS or GSP After Munoz.

MMA veteran ChaelSonnen is never short of words, and the brash UFC middleweight had some surprising things to say about his highly anticipated rematch against Anderson Silva. Apparently, Sonnen is no longer interested in a rematch with MMA's pound-for-pound champion, and his sights are now set on some other UFC title holders.

"I'm done with the guy. He and I have no business," Sonnen said in an interview with Michael Landsberg. "He's cold product men. He's like jheri curls and Pepsi Clear. He's yesterday's news. I destroyed this guy back when he was tough. That was years ago. He's so far over the hill and so far past his prime that it's not worth talking about…I'm going to become the No. 1 contender on January 28th and despite what you may think, I'm not going to use that voucher to fight Anderson Silva. I'll be looking at [Jon] Jones, [Junior] dos Santos and possibly [Georges] St. Pierre. I will take that voucher to Dana White and pick one of those three guys. My time with Anderson is done."

"I'm going for a championship match," he went on. "Anderson Silva is no more the champion than the man on the moon and trying to pretend he is is a waste of my breath. Jon Jones is a real man that'll accept challenges."
    NSCA - CSCS
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Jonny 'Bones' Jones tweets about Chael Sonnen

@JonnybonesJon Bones Jones

Someone tell Chael he knows where I'll be waiting

17 hours agovia TweetList Pro
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM