Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

Page 6 of 111 First ... 4567811 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Cerrone could put himself there if he finishes Nate. He would be a hell of a lot closer if he hadn't said a while back "I'm not looking for a title shot just yet" or something to that effect. He fought some newbies and then recently some solid guys following his fight with Benson. So he just needs to say he wants higher comp. I'd say 1 more top 5er after this though.
    As of late, I think Cerron's put himself on Dana's gold list because he's seemingly so game to fight ASAP all the time and he likes to finish, not just point fight. Dana loves that ish and if Dana loves you, title contention becomes a good probability.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Strikeforce Weigh-In Results: Gilbert Melendez vs. Jorge Masvidal

The final Strikeforce event for 2011 takes place Saturday in San Diego, CA, headlined by Strikeforce Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez vs. Jorge Masvidal with Women's Featherweight Champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. the debuting Hiroko Yamanaka in the co-main event.

Friday's weigh-ins made the card official with all fighters making weight. The one anomaly was a prelim bout between Roger Bowling and Jerron Peoples which was made a 179-pound catchweight fight. Bowling is giving up 10.5 pounds to Peoples, so perhaps he simply didn't care what his opponent weighed. No word on whether Peoples is giving up any of his purse.

Can Melendez keep his streak going? Will Santos need more than a round in the cage to win? Comment below and let's hear what you have to say.
    Main Event:
    Lightweight Championship: Gilbert Melendez (155) vs. Jorge Masvidal (155)
    Featherweight Championship: Cris Santos (145) vs. Hiroko Yamanaka (145)
    205 lbs.: Gegard Mousasi (206) vs. Ovince St. Preux (206)
    155 lbs.: Billy Evangelista (156) vs. K.J. Noons (156)

Prelims:
    155 lbs.: Caros Fodor (156) vs. Justin Wilcox (156)
    179 lb. catchweight: Roger Bowling (170) vs. Jerron Peoples (180.5)
    265 lbs.: Devin Cole (248) vs. Gabriel Salinas-Jones (265)
    145 lbs.: Fernando Gonzalez (186) vs. Eddie Mendez (186)
    170 lbs.: Chris Brown (170) vs. Herman Terrado (170.5)
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Gabriel Gonzaga returns at UFC 142, meets Ednaldo Oliveira on prelims

Former UFC heavyweight title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga (12-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC) is returning to the UFC.

The fighter has signed a new multi-fight deal with the organization and now meets fellow Brazilian Ednaldo Oliveira (13-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) as an injury replacement for Rob Broughton (15-7-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at next month's UFC 142 event.

Gonzaga's management today announced the booking. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) subsequently confirmed it with sources close to the event.

UFC 142 takes place Jan. 14 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena, and the night's main card airs on pay-per-view. The prelims, including Gonzaga vs. Oliveira, air on FX.

Gonzaga, who was once a top-10 heavyweight, went 7-5 in the UFC from 2005 to 2010. Although he briefly considered retirement, he returned to the cage back in October at a Reality Fighting show in Connecticut, where he submitted Parker Porter to win the organization's heavyweight belt.

Gonzaga, who defeated and stunned Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in a 2007 title eliminator, ultimately suffered a knockout loss to then-UFC champ Randy Couture. The UFC released released him in 2010 following a 1-3 run against a murderers' row of heavyweights that included Shane Carwin, Junior Dos Santos and Brendan Schaub.

Oliveira (whose first name sometimes is spelled "Edinaldo") made his pro debut in 2005 and has been a fixture on Brazil's regional circuit. The heavy-handed Brazilian has picked up eight knockouts in 13 career wins. Most recently, the 6-foot-7 fighter scored a first-round knockout of Nalzinho Novaes. He's fought six times in 2011 with a 5-0 record (and one no-contest due to an eye poke).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

UFC Signs Carlo Prater to Face Erick Silva at UFC 142

Welterweight prospect, Siyar Bahadurzada was one of several casualties that bowed out of the UFC 142 card today due to injury, but the UFC has now found a replacement for Bahadurzada to face blue-chip Brazilian, Erick Silva on the Rio card. The UFC's Brazil office tweeted that veteran fighter, Carlo Prater, has gotten the call and will make his UFC debut on the January 14th card against Silva:
    @ErickSilvaMMA tem novo adversário no #UFCRIO, agora ele enfrenta Carlo Prater
    Over his nine-year pro career, Prater has faced some tough competition while bouncing back and forth between lightweiht and welterweight, and he holds notable career victories over Melvin Guillard, Carlos Condit, Spencer Fisher, and Pat Healy among others. Although Prater is a Brazilian native, he has called Texas home for many years, spending a lot of time training with Yves Edwards, and fighting often on the regional scene there. Most recently, Prater finds himself riding a four-fight winning streak and finishing all four of those fights by submission.
    It's unclear whether Silva vs. Prater will remain on the PPV main card, but we'll update you when the UFC 142 lineup is finalized.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

MMA posters from Japan: Fedor fight card competes with UFC Japan

In 2011, is proper anymore to ask which card you're more excited to see?

Is it only hardcore UFC haters who'll say DREAM's 2011 card is better than UFC 144?

Above are the competing posters. Below is DREAM's attempt at getting people fired up for its card headlined by the Fedor Emelianenko fight against Satoshi Ishii.

Personally, I'm stoked to see the fight. What does Fedor have left and is Ishii ready to compete against the top level of MMA just six fights into his MMA career?

NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

My favorite quote regarding Fedor paraphrased, "Fedor walks into the ring like he's going to a funeral and when he's walking out of the ring, he's just been to one.."
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

A little Strikeforce video to get you excited for Saturday’s fights

It's been months since Strikeforce's last main card event, but they are coming back with a doozy. Take a minute to watch this video and be reminded of how fun their cards can be.

Gilbert Melendez is on a five-fight win streak, and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos is returning to the cage for the first time since June of 2010. Will they retain their belts, or lose them to Jorge Masvidal and Hiroko Yamanaka?
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Does anyone believe that Cristine Cyborg isn't impervious to all non-penis wielding opponents?
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    It's been months since Strikeforce's last main card event, but they are coming back with a doozy. Take a minute to watch this video and be reminded of how fun their cards can be.

Gilbert Melendez is on a five-fight win streak, and Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos is returning to the cage for the first time since June of 2010. Will they retain their belts, or lose them to Jorge Masvidal and Hiroko Yamanaka?
    O man I hope I can get off work early tomorrow for the fights. Melendez is gonna wreck'em!
    CORE NUTRITIONALS Representative

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Does anyone believe that Cristine Cyborg isn't impervious to all non-penis wielding opponents?
    I'm starting to think she could take some of the men in her weight class.
    Name:  cristiane-cyborg-santos.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  168.5 KB

I want Ronda to fight her since she's breakin arms left and right....but I refuse to marry her if Cyborg destroys her face
    Name:  ronda-pre-fight-tweet.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  57.7 KB
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

wow does she ever looked ripped in that pic, yeah I wouldn't doubt it if she could punch out a few dudes, if not win the title she might **** Cruz up

If you have any questions feel free to email me at, tommy.day@corenutritionals.com
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.
    Answers

honestly i think Ronda's style would match up perfectly with chris, she just need to gain some confidence in her hands
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    wow does she ever looked ripped in that pic, yeah I wouldn't doubt it if she could punch out a few dudes, if not win the title she might **** Cruz up
    I'd give her a good solid chance Cruz would definitely not come out unscathed

Quote Originally Posted by thedarce View Post
    honestly i think Ronda's style would match up perfectly with chris, she just need to gain some confidence in her hands
    Yeah a solid wrestler could handle Cyborg potentially
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Cyborg absolutely destroyed that girl. I'm not sure Ronda can handle that. Side note she looked damn hot.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Cyborg absolutely destroyed that girl. I'm not sure Ronda can handle that. Side note she looked damn hot.
    OMG I know LOL, as there entering the ring I said I don't think the fight will go 10 sec, it's like throwing a 11 year old boy in with Wandy

16 sec of destruction lol

16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Strikeforce Melendez vs. Masvidal Results: Gilbert Melendez Wisely Calls out the UFC

This weekend's Strikeforce card wasn't the most memorable. In fact, the card did nothing but emphasize the lack of depth in the organization. It was frankly disappointing (much like the Dark Knight Rises prologue). Even the commentary booth seemed disinterested, and unorganized, as if they were offering a play-by-play of a game of Farkle instead of MMA.

Perhaps it was warranted, given the action. One of the best prospects at LHW, Ovince St. Preux was blitzed and manhandled by Gegard Mousasi (in addition to being blitzed and manhandled by an impressively incompetent ref). Cris Cyborg, fighting the #2 ranked female in the world, answered the question 'what would happen if Jonathan Goulet got in the cage with Dan Henderson?'. And then Gilbert Melendez dominated one of their most compelling contenders in Jorge Masvidal.

First, a word about Gilbert's performance. I have to disagree with my colleague, Matt Roth on this one. I think Melendez was very impressive. Masvidal, for all of his faults (which were on display), is a rugged and talented fighter. He's a good counter puncher, is tough as nails, and well polished overall.

And Melendez shut him down. Working his head movement, using angles, and boxing like he wanted a shot against Andre Ward, Masvidal was utterly neutralized. He also displayed some useful quirks: feinting the takedown for an uppercut, and controlling the arm Jorge used to touch the ground in order to avoid knees to the head so as to be a "grounded" opponent. It was frankly, a masterful performance. If Melendez looks "bad" last night, it's because Masvidal had no sense of urgency and seemed only interested in not gambling for victory.

You got the feeling Gilbert himself knew this. He knew this was a big fight. He knew the stakes. All things considered, his performance reflects his knowledge of the political landscape he's now a part of. He engaged as much as he could have with his overly patient foe. And so in his post-fight interview, he called out the UFC LW division. Well played Gilbert.

But his call to action was inevitable. When rumors persisted that he was coming to the UFC, Melendez perked up: he's historically been one of the few fighters who explicitly acknowledges his status can't be validated until he's part of that misguided and soon to be deceased Gladiator intro. There must have been a slight sting when it was announced that Strikeforce was staying, and Melendez wasn't going anywhere.
    Gilbert's 'call out' is a microcosm of the Strikeforce dilemma where the Sharks continue to swim with nothing but flounders. Unfortunately he's stuck. A call out, in conjunction with a performance that revealed the gap between himself and their best contenders, was the best course of action Melendez could have taken.

But any potential solution that doesn't involve Gilbert going to the UFC will demand either turning over the dirt underneath the rocks for prospects, or sending guys in the UFC to Strikeforce. But who has name value enough to garner interest against Melendez, but not enough name value to incur a cost to the UFC?

I hope the brass are thinking about that question. Because Melendez doesn't belong in a cage where Frank Shamrock restricts his contributions to misinterpretations of compustrike statistics. Or where Heido Androl struggles for relevant questions while wearing a dress that makes her look like she was grown on a tree in Papua New Guinea. He belongs in the UFC.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Gilbert did an amazing job. He now needs to work on that little issue he had with not checking leg checks. He was definitely left vulnerable for a second or two which Masv didn't or couldn't capitalize on. Someone else might be faster.

Gegard mentioned being ill leading up to the fight, and though he did well enough, when he was explaining that point he looked exhausted. Almost like he was still sick. He had the look, like when I'm at work and just want to go f'ing home because I'm riddled with illness. How is he 6'1 and 205lb?? He has very little muscle on him comparatively. Not that he's ever needed to look ripped.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

The Cyborg fight looked straight up like a man vs a women. Did you see how one of Cyborg's hooks threw Hiroko against the cage like she got kicked?
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Gegard Mousasi: 'Next Fight I'm Going to Train in the US'

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi did an interview with MMA Weekly following his win over Ovince St. Preux at last night's Strikeforce show, and he had some surprising things to say. He was happy with his performance over the first two rounds, but said that he needs to step up his training overall.
    Apparently he doesn't have a lot going on in terms of coaches and sparring partners at the moment:

"I think, because I don't have good training. I have only one trainer. And that's wrestling, they were helping me with technical wrestling. But I don't have a conditioning trainer, I don't have a standup trainer, I don't have a jiu-jitsu trainer. I don't have any good sparring partners, high level. I don't have a nutrition(ist). I don't know what all these other fighters have. I mean, I think there's a huge (room for) improvement there. Next fight I'm going to train in the US with a good camp."
    He went on to state that he'll probably work with Gokor Chivichyan, and will look to train with Dan Henderson as well. Apparently he will stick to the Orange County area and go to a few different gyms. This is obviously a good thing for Mousasi, who is an extremely talented fighter. As he said himself, there is room for improvement and with the right camp, Mousasi could definitely get his title back in the near future. You can catch the whole interview after the jump.

NSCA - CSCS
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Lyoto Machida has future plans at middleweight

Former UFC light heavyweight title-holder Lyoto Machida feels like he has solved the puzzle that is Jon Jones.Thus, “The Dragon” hopes he can eventually get back in contention to face the current UFC 205-pound champ once again. However, Machida is currently just 1-3 in his last four bouts, including the submission loss to “Bones” recently.

That being said, for Machida, a future in the UFC’s middleweight division is what is his future apparently holds, especially once friend Anderson Silva retires from the sport. Silva is the reigning UFC 185-pound champion and a training partner of Machida’s.
    “Now, I don’t want to change – but if I am not the light heavyweight champion, it really could happen,” said Machida, in a recent interview with Fighters Only. “I lost (to Jones), but I still have three more fights at UFC and now my main goal is to be the champion of the weight class and bring the belt back to Para. Now it is a challenge to beat Jones and bounce back.”

Machida’s three losses have come to some of the elite in the UFC’s light heavyweight division, as he has lost to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, and Jones. All three men have either worn the UFC title or are currently wearing the belt.
    As for the loss to Jones, Machida says, “We already know the path to get to him and in the next fight the things should happen with more ease. I think we always have to be learning something out of this and it is through the loss that we learn more than with the victory. I am a professional and it is part of my career: to win or to lose. I hope the next time we can celebrate together.”

Machida was hitting Jones more than most have, as “The Dragon” seemed to be on top of his game through the first five minutes. But, once Jones landed with a big elbow that left a deep dash on Machida’s head, the end seemed to be near. Machida eventually passed out due to a standing choke in the second round, suffering his first career loss by submission.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Strikeforce champ 'Cyborg' open to Rousey but wary of quick move to 135 pounds

Name:  cristiane-cyborg-santos-13.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  95.4 KB

SAN DIEGO – Strikeforce female featherweight champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (11-1 MMA, 5-0 SF) might not be completely out of potential opponents at 145 pounds, but the line of volunteers doesn't exactly reach around the block.

Sixteen-second victories, like the one Santos notched over Hiroko Yamanaka at Saturday's "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal" event in San Diego, tend to have that effect.

But there is one name that just won't go away: Ronda Rousey (4-0 MMA, 2-0 SF).

"I'm ready for a fight with her," Santos told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I think she talks too much, but she can keep training, and when she's ready, I'm ready."

In some ways, it's incredible that Rousey's name is even being linked with the seemingly unstoppable Santos. After all, Rousey was competing in the amateur ranks as recently as January, whereas Santos boasts experience fighting on network television.

But Rousey is a rare breed in the female ranks: an Olympic medalist with a penchant for sharp-tongued trashtalking. To make it even more interesting, Rousey has already expressed a desire to fight Santos in the near future.

There's just one major hurdle. Rousey, who has cut minimal weight in past fights at 145 pounds, is planning on competing at 135 pounds for her next outing. The judoka plans on first taking that belt from current champ Miesha Tate then setting her sights on the Brazilian wrecking machine.

Of course, if Rousey finds her body is best suited for 135 pounds, there's no guarantee she'd ever move back up to face "Cyborg," so Santos' best shot at silencing the brash Californian might be to make her way down to 135 pounds.

The muscular Santos, who doesn't appear to carry many easy-to-lose pounds, admits it would be a difficult drop but one that's not entirely impossible.

"I'm going to put in a valiant effort to try and make 135," Santos said through in interpreter. "Maybe if I can make a catchweight and fight at 140 first and slowly make my way down to 135, but I'm going to put in a good effort to get down to 135."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker also seemed to suggest a potential matchup between the knockout artist and the submission ace is still more fantasy than reality.

"Ronda's name keeps coming up, but I think Ronda is going to fight at 135 for a bit," Coker said. "But Ronda has expressed interest in fighting at 145 and fighting for the title at some point."

In the meantime, Coker and Strikeforce matchmaker Sean Shelby will do their best to find Santos suitable competition. UFC president Dana White has long criticized the lack of depth in the women's division, and Santos' utter dominance of her class certainly isn't helping anyone perceive female featherweights as much more than a one-woman show. That said, Santos has a way of bringing a crowd to its feet, and Strikeforce wants to continue to focus on developing the female game.

"I think all the fights that the media wants to see, the fans want to see, Showtime would like to see and we would like to see, I think all those fights will happen; just be patient," Coker said. "Sean is out there scouring the earth, and we're going to find some opponents for 'Cyborg.' Truly, she's the Mike Tyson of female MMA."
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Lyoto considering a move to middleweight is very interesting. I just don't ever see Andy getting defeated at MW, so unless Andy moves up to LHW, I'm not sure how a move down to MW will work for Lyoto.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Undergoes Arm Surgery

Last week it was noted that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira would be able to avoid surgery on the broken arm he suffered at the hands of Frank Mir at UFC 140. Well, that went out the window and Big Nog did indeed have to go under the knife according to Tatame:
    But it seems like the plans have changed. Rodrigo was operated last Friday (16th) at Vail, Colorado, and the surgery was a success. The doctors say he might return to training in June. Rodrigo went to Vail and went through new tests, which pointed out the need of the surgery. His biceps wasn’t touched during the process. The "entrance" was made on the triceps, what means he won’t lose strength on this very arm.
    If he can't even train until June, it's unlikely that he'll be seen in the octagon before September or October. That's a huge blow to a guy that is probably winding down his career.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Cairo Rocha Scores Beautiful Knockout With Capoeira Kick

Cairo Rocha (6-2) taking on Francisco Neves (2-4) at BRFC - Desafio dos Imortais wasn't exactly on anyone's radar heading into the weekend. After Rocha unleashed a kick that resulted in one of the best knockouts of 2011, it's now getting some attention. Here's the video and then we'll talk about the kick:

The kick appears to be a capoeira technique called a Meia-Lua de compasso. Here's a description from Wikipedia:
    A Meia-Lua de compasso (lit: half moon compass) is an attack that embodies the true element of Capoeira since it combines an evasive maneuver with a spinning kick. The player while in a semi-crouched stance, swings his forward arm in a downward slanting motion towards the ground. While stepping around, he also bends his non-kicking leg while keeping the kicking one straight. After gathering enough torque from the sudden pivot in his core, he unleashes the kick all the way around until his kicking leg is behind him in the ginga movement.

The power of the kick derives its energy from the same motion as the swing of a golf club or base ball bat. The transfer of power begins with the spin of the hand slamming into the ground and ending with the spin of the kicking heel. It has earned its place in capoeira as being called the "king of kicks". There is even a saying among mestres and other teachers about how a capoeirista's skill can be determined on how well and fast he delivers a Meia lua de compasso. It is still called a rabo do arria by some groups today.

There is even folklore from around the 1910s of a capoeirista named Ciriaco, defeating a jiu-jitsu champion named Sada Mako with this kick. While this has been debated, there is one true account of this occurring. The win was awarded to Valdemar Santana after his defeat of Helio Gracie. Most would attribute this win to the fact that Santana was also student of Helio for over twelve years.
    You can see Rocha's hand hit the mat as the body turns and gets the torque for the power. But the real gem is watching the replay at around 16 seconds on the video. Neves is confused by the movement and drops his left arm to try to block what he seems to think is a body kick only to get caught square on the chin and go out.
    NSCA - CSCS
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Alistair Overeem reflects on week of testing, scrutiny

Alistair Overeem has the biggest fight of his career on the horizon, as the former Strikeforce heavyweight champ is set to meet Brock Lesnar in less than two weeks.
    However, as Overeem preps for the five-round war at UFC 141, he was forced to take time out of his busy schedule to explain why he missed a drug test to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Overeem has since been approved by NSAC on a temporary basis, meaning he will be allowed to face Lesnar, a former UFC heavyweight champion, in a No. 1 contender bout on December 30.

“The issue was over a random drug test requirement – which I didn’t know about until I came to Holland – and I understand it from their side,” wrote Overeem, in his latest blog entry for Yahoo Sports. “I am happy to have got my license under the conditions the commissioners set out. I am also happy they accepted and stated on the record that there was no attempt by myself to avoid any test.”

Overeem headed back to Holland to care for his ill mother, who is battling cancer but has since improved. He will finish up training in his native country before returning to the U.S. for the Lesnar bout.

“I am looking forward to the fight. This distraction hasn’t taken any of the excitement away from me fighting Brock Lesnar in my UFC debut,” Overeem wrote. “This is a huge fight for the sport and a dream fight for the fans. Some fans probably never thought they’d see this fight, as I was cleaning house outside the UFC while Brock was in the UFC.”

Overeem went on to say he always intended to sign with the UFC, but that he did not expect to join the company until maybe 2013. He also gave his prediction for the Lesnar bout, writing, “This fight is not going to last two rounds. That’s my official prediction, that I knock him out in the second round, but, the more I think about it, the more I think it will end in the first round.”
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

With ‘Cyborg’s’ 16-second win and no Gina Carano, does women’s 145-pound division sta

With ‘Cyborg’s’ 16-second win and no Gina Carano, does women’s 145-pound division stand a chance?

Name:  with_cyborgs_second_win_and_no_gina_carano_does_womens_pound_division_stand_a_chance.jpg
Views: 4991
Size:  61.7 KB

Dana White was already wondering about the viability of the Strikeforce women's 145-pound division. After watching Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos destroy a helpless Hiroko Yamanaka in 16 seconds last night, he's got to be thinking more about promoting just one female division down at 135.

Add in that each month Gina Carano is away from the sport, cements the fact that she's never returning for a serious run, and the featherweights better watch their diet and prep to slim down.

That's not going to be an easy task for Cyborg. You are what you are, and she's a large woman. She already looks ridiculous shredded at 145. Can she really cut another 10 pounds in healthy fashion and recover in one day to be 100 percent rejuvenated on fight nights?
    "I'm going to put in a valiant effort to try and make 135," Santos told MMAjunkie's John Morgan through an interpreter. "Maybe if I can make a catchweight and fight at 140 first and slowly make my way down to 135, but I'm going to put in a good effort to get down to 135."
    If the 145 division remains Strikeforce could match up Cyborg against Ronda Rousey. That'll certainly make for a good prefight promotion, but from a fight standpoint, it may be a mistmatch. What does it say about the 145-pound division if the best option for the champ to face is a woman, who is just four fights into her pro career?

The signs are there that Carano isn't coming back. There will simply be too many opportunities and too much money in the entertainment world to allow her to return to getting punched in the face. Her film "" is due for release in 2012. You can see in this January GQ feature why she'll be so highly sought after as a female action movie star.
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Fight Hotness: Gilbert Melendez's wife

Name:  kat8.jpg
Views: 8131
Size:  49.7 KB

Gilbert Melendez might have fallen from our fickle hearts this weekend for the sin of not smiting Jorge Masvidal, but I think we can still find some love for his hot, hot wife Keri Anne Taylor. This is actually the second Fight Hotness we've done on Keri, and I still can't find a better term to describe her than 'cutie patootie.' A dozen new pics after the jump, or you can check out the other Keri Anne Taylor post which has more club fun pics.

NSCA - CSCS
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Video: Cris Cyborg Knocks Out Hiroko Yamanaka in 16 Seconds

NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Less Depressing Video Evidence: Bob Sapp Was TKO’d Last Night in Croatia

NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Anderson vs Neo

NSCA - CSCS
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Video Evidence: Jens Pulver Got KO’d Last Night

NSCA - CSCS
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Poor Jens, he really needs to call it quits.

33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

DAMMMN Gilbert's wife is hot. Little bit of a jaw...but I've slept with worse lol. And she likes cheap australian beer.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Junie Browning Gives Full Account of Phuket Brawl

Junie Browning has been in the MMA news for a week now after his involvement in a brawl in Phuket. The initial report accused him of beating up a woman earlier in the day then then getting in a brawl in a bar and a second brawl in the hospital.
    Browning now gave his full account of the story to the Phuket Gazette. It's lengthy but a lot of it is important to get an overall layout of the situation.
    Junie's description of the brawl:
    I could tell from the moment he stepped in front of me, he was looking for a fight. At this point, it just involved me and Simon, my girlfriend was standing next to us. In only a few seconds, my girlfriend was thrown across the street and I had been hit from behind in the back of the head by a glass beer bottle.
    I stood up looking for my attacker and found myself surrounded by a mob of people. It was no longer a man on man "bar brawl" but a fight for my survival. I was trying to defend myself in the street when at some point I fell back to the ground.
    They [dragged] me back into the bar where they pummeled me with punches and kicks. It was me against everyone. For a second time I received a massive blow over the head with a thick glass mug that split my head open and made me fall to the floor.
    I curled up in the fetal position, submissive, and I continued to be kicked and hit. My arms up covering my face I felt a slice to my forearm and another stab to my neck.
    A Thai girl had a knife and was attacking my head with it. I must have lost consciousness from blood loss because the next thing I knew, my girlfriend had sprawled her body on top of mine to protect me from any more blows. She was screaming that it was "enough" and that the fight was over.
    Browning says he had to be revived twice in the ambulance and was taken to the hospital where the next part of the story and the "fight in the hospital took place." That and the tale of Junie going into hiding after the jump...

Once at the hospital:
    They began to assess my wounds and stitch up the three large gashes on my head. Without any consideration to my safety or the events that had just occurred, they placed both Menzies accompanied by MJ Castro, and the man who had attacked me with a mug, in the beds right beside me.
    Needless to say, I became furious and again words were exchanged. As it escalated a second time into a physical fight, MJ attempted to intervene and was struck in the rumble. Security and Patong Police arrived and restrained all parties. I was taken into the waiting lobby on a stretcher in handcuffs in front of numerous people to finish giving me medical attention.
    Now, to interject for a moment here. This is one of the inconsistencies in Browning's story. Not that I don't believe him and I fully believe that the evening was probably an insane blur if his account is true. But earlier in the article, Browning says "All of my attackers remained standing in the bar unharmed" so I'm curious why two of them were suddenly brought to the hospital and placed in beds.
    Anyway, continuing:
    My intentions were to file a police report in the morning and deal with this in a civil manner. Hours later, my phone began to ring with numerous reliable sources stating that we were not safe and we needed to leave now! They said that local Thais and mafia had a price on my head and were headed to the hospital and both my girlfriend's and my life were at risk.
    We were told to trust or talk to no one and to just leave. We are aware that the mafia is a real thing and took this very seriously. We panicked and decided that our best option was to escape in the middle of the night and hope we could make it home.
    Our first thought was to get a hold of the police for protection, but were told that it was corrupt and that they would be of no assistance. My girlfriend pulled out my IV and jumped a fence to find a taxi to come pick me up.
    Browning ends his explanation by saying that they've been on the run from the attackers and the mafia, attempting to get the assistance from the US Embassy while still suffering badly from his injuries. It's a wild tale and at this point all you can hope is that, regardless of who started what, Browning is able to get medical help and the involvement of the Embassy to ensure safe and fair handling of the situation.
    NSCA - CSCS
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Wasn't Uriah Faber attacked in some bar in Thailand a fews years back where he had to fight for his life? What's up with that?!
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Vinny Magalhaes Talks ADCC Gold Medal and M-1 Status

At this point in time, it is safe to say that if there is something on Vinny Magalhaes's mind, he is going to let everyone know. Magalhaes is the reigning M-1 light heavyweight champion and an elite submission grappler with many prestigious titles in his past. Earlier this year, he made a stellar run to the finals of the +99 kg division of the Abu Dhabi Combat Club submission grappling tournament, where he out-pointed Fabricio Werdum in a legendary match.

In a recent interview with Kid Peligro, Vinny opens up about his ADCC experience - in particular, surviving the locked-on armbar Werdum had on him in the finals - and makes some very pointed comments about his M-1 experience.
    Kid Peligro - In 2009 you had a very good performance, but this time you won and is a champion, what was the difference this time around?
    Vinny Magalhaes - In 2009 I had a dream tournament; I had beautiful matches, I had spectacular submissions in some matches and I took home two medals (third palace weight and absolute) that was my first ADCC! But I didn't conquer the Gold Medal which is the one everyone desires. And that is the one people remember the most. This time I came in with the idea of fighting to win, that it would better to fight ugly and to win than to fight beautifully and leave without the Gold. For sure my performance in ADCC 2009 will be remembered one way or another for the flying arm-locks that I did and other submission, as in my fight with Cavaca and against Glover, but none of that is worth more to me than the Gold medal I conquered this year.
    Hitr the jump for more ADCC talk and the eyebrow raising M-1 tidbits Vinny drops.

En route to the +99 kg title, Vinny beat acclaimed grapplers like Gerardi Rinaldi (the Cornell wrestling product who competed with the likes of Phil Davis and Chris Weidman), Bruno Bastos, Jose Junior and Fabricio Werdum. Only Werdum scored points during that run and Vinny would go on to compete in the Absolute, losing out by a narrow referee's decision to Murilo Santana.

In short, Vinny grapples real good. His MMA career is now his focus and the interview excerpts below reflect that. Make sure to read the entire interview, as Vinny is always entertaining when speaking his mind.
    Kid Peligro - At that moment on the final your arm was stretched out to the max, how did you overcome that?
    Vinny Magalhaes - I simply put in my head that I couldn't tap, because it was the finals of ADCC and I was ahead on points. I thought about letting the arm break, if necessary, because I would never give up, after all winning ADCC is like winning the Olympics, not only that but winning ADCC is the highest achievement a grappler can get in their career. If I tapped I would be ruining a great opportunity of making a name for myself.
    KP- You were in the U.F.C., you did the Ultimate Fighter and competed a few times in the main event, now what would it be like to return to the UFC Octagon?
    VM- My dreams go beyond "returning" to the UFC, I dream of returning to stay and to become a Champion. In my first time in UFC I was too inexperienced, I wasn't training correctly and all I wanted was to be there, in UFC, But I wasn't training and preparing with the ambition and desire that I have today. I wasn't fighting with the passion that I fight today! Today, I believe that when I return to the UFC I will have a much better and stronger presence than before. You can call me crazy but my desire is to have that belt no matter what the costs are and I am going after reaching that dream!
    KP- What do you believe it will take for you to return to the UFC?
    VM- The only thing missing is for my contract with M1 needs to expire. I believe that as soon as I am free of any contract with M-1 I will have my foot on the door of UFC, after all, of the 12 wins that I have in MMA they are all by submission or KO. I don't have a single win by decision, on top of that, the fans have recognized my efforts, because I was a part of TUF, and now ADCC Champion. So I believe that perhaps not immediately but with one or two more wins the UFC is going to be calling me back.
    What do you readers think? Is Vinny's MMA career going to keep climbing upwards to international stardom, riches and rewards? Would it be best for Vinny to put aside the anger and get a few more exciting finishes for M-1? Where do you see him in the 205 division in a few years?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NSCA - CSCS
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I don't know why the Cyborg pic is attached.
    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I don't know why the Cyborg pic is attached.
    Because she is a beast! lol

39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Wasn't Uriah Faber attacked in some bar in Thailand a fews years back where he had to fight for his life? What's up with that?!
    Fu ckin hell. Thailand sounds about as safe as Tijuana. I'm going to Canada for vacation. I'm sure urijah sweet talked some women into smuggling him out of Thailand. "we would do anything for you mr. urijah" Probably had better success in the fight too -oh snap
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Where you heading to in Canada?

Im gonna guess out West in BC?

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Athletix Sports Logs!
    By JudgementDay in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Athletix Sports ;) GET IN HERE and WIN some FORMULA-X!!!
    By JudgementDay in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  3. Athletix Sports is looking for a new rep
    By Athletix in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Welcome Athletix Sports to AM!!!
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Athletix Sports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:17 PM